Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

lastly - could it rain hard enough to cause engines water issues ?

This is something that engine manufacturers test as part of the certification process for each engine type:

As a previous repose stated you can actually see that the water goes through the by-pass ducts rather than into the core. Engine is required to not flame out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Some questions:

1. Do you think ETOPS is pushing the limits too far now or are you happy with the MTBF of the new generation engines?

2. Which do you prefer - Airbus style side stick or Boeing Column?

3. Normally Capt sits on LHS - with Airbus do any side on RHS due to preference to control stick using right hand?

4. XWB - Do you want to fly the Airbus XWB (now designated A350)?

5. When you do sim training is there always a Pan-Pan or Mayday situation for you to handle? How many times do you train for LOTC or similar scenarios?

6. The lustre has gone out of air travel since the emergence of LCC, 9/11, and increased security checks. Do you think that the hayday of air travel will ever return?

7. Do you notice different engine types? B777 and A330 have competition between GE and RR - do you notice any different characterisitcs between them or issues such as increased STD or DND on the EICAS with a particular type?

8. With AF477 report citing pilot error as a contributing factor to the crash do you think that new recruits are too reliant on technology and less able to 'fly by their seat of their pants'?

9. Is there any plane type you would refuse to get on or pilot?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Bearcat wrote: »
    Read the posts in full, not snippets. Cheers;)

I did read the full post, I was wondering what the bit about "throwing away a leg" meant.

Thanks for the replies throughout the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Lustrum wrote: »
    I did read the full post, I was wondering what the bit about "throwing away a leg" meant.

Thanks for the replies throughout the thread

Think he meant most pilots want to fly as much as possible on the stick and would never choose to autoland given the choice to land manual.

If you are regularly too tired to land manual you either need to look at your lifestyle or your company needs to look at your roster imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

]Some questions:

1. Do you think ETOPS is pushing the limits too far now or are you happy with the MTBF of the new generation engines?

I think it's fine at the moment. I'd worry more about the proposed increase in flying times for crew.

2. Which do you prefer - Airbus style side stick or Boeing Column?

Airbus for me. I've only had the Boeing in the sim though. Pilots only get to fly the plane manually for a short time so why have the space taken up with a control column when a sidestick will do.

3. Normally Capt sits on LHS - with Airbus do any side on RHS due to preference to control stick using right hand?

No. They just have to learn to fly with their left hand. Remember when you start out you fly with your left hand.

5. When you do sim training is there always a Pan-Pan or Mayday situation for you to handle? How many times do you train for LOTC or similar scenarios?

Always. And sometimes multiple. It's intense.

6. The lustre has gone out of air travel since the emergence of LCC, 9/11, and increased security checks. Do you think that the hayday of air travel will ever return?

No. It's been ruined and will probably just get worse.

7. Do you notice different engine types?

Engines are engines you just get used to it. But some start slower, noiser, more fuel efficient etc and you do notice.

8. With AF477 report citing pilot error as a contributing factor to the crash do you think that new recruits are too reliant on technology and less able to 'fly by their seat of their pants'?

No I just think AF are the problem. I've seen them go through thunderstorms when we've gone 100 miles out of the way.

9. Is there any plane type you would refuse to get on or pilot?

No specific type. Anything badly maintained or something with a serious defect. But I've never come across something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

No. They just have to learn to fly with their left hand. Remember when you start out you fly with your left hand.

[[/QUOTE]

I did come across a skipper sitting in the RHS seat before in a certain airline,Not sure was this a once off or what but It did happen,is there any rules against it???

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

A320 wrote: »
    I did come across a skipper sitting in the RHS seat before in a certain airline,Not sure was this a once off or what but It did happen,is there any rules against it???

Perhaps there were two Captains on the flight deck, so one had to sit in the RHS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are the controls identical on both sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Training capts have to be checked out in each seat. They will also sit in the rhs during line training of new skippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Perhaps there were two Captains on the flight deck, so one had to sit in the RHS?

Nope the other was a F/O deffo but growler may have hit the nail on the head as the F/O was fairly senior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

I apologise I should have been clearer.

A training captain can fly from the right seat when training a new captain in or sometimes if stuck they have to fly as a FO for the day.

What I meant in my original post was that a regular captain cannot just choose to fly from the right hand seat if he feels he is more comfortable there. They just have to get to learn the left hand seat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

triocha wrote: »
    Also, how come you can see Ice Bergs on some trips over ? Seems you go close to green land.....

rare enough to see crossing the Atlantic unless you are quite far north (ie DUB-LAX/SFO) However I did spot one last week heading west. Didn't get my camera from the wardrobe in time to snap it, and not allowed to ask the skipper to do a U-turn to let me get a shot!!!!

I did snap this a few years ago....very clear day over Greenland:
    3873883033_78a80dcbfc.jpg
    Eastern Greenland by tearbringer, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

pclancy wrote: »

Asking Questions: Please only post if you are asking or answering a question so as to keep it nice and tidy. commercial pilots are requested to include their licence type, relevant rating held and hours in their response ie ATPL(F), 738, 500. I don't expect you to divulge your airline or personal details but at least it might serve as some proof to your credentials

We'll see how it goes and sticky if its busy enough.

I just thought id re-read the thread starter to all this. It started out as a great idea and occasionally some very interesting questions were asked but it soon descended into a mickey lenght competition between a few posters.

A few of you could do with having a look over the thread where many posters have listed their experience and offered great pieces of advice only to be shot down. Many who have been shot down have never re posted here again. Many who have been doing the shooting, have never listed their experience and sometimes unwittingly shown their own inexperience!

Just food for thought - rant over.

Growler!!! wrote: »
    I just thought id re-read the thread starter to all this. It started out as a great idea and occasionally some very interesting questions were asked but it soon descended into a mickey lenght competition between a few posters.

A few of you could do with having a look over the thread where many posters have listed their experience and offered great pieces of advice only to be shot down. Many who have been shot down have never re posted here again. Many who have been doing the shooting, have never listed their experience and sometimes unwittingly shown their own inexperience!

Just food for thought - rant over.

I recently secured gainful employment in the industry(lotto tickets bought this week). I wont reveal the company as to do so may stick me out like a sore thumb as my bio may easily ID me.

fATPL acquired early July through modular route and offered a position early August. Currently on week 4 of a 6 week type rating with base and line training to follow. Aircraft type is A320(not green though;))

I don't think it qualifies me to answer from any experienced pilot level but that's my lot anyhow. I'll just put it out there.

I agree that experienced people are being shot down by spotters or people that "think" they know the game....but also not all those who claim to be experienced pilots on this thread are in my opinion.......those culprits I think are well under suspicion at this point!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

LeftBase wrote: »

I agree that experienced people are being shot down by spotters or people that "think" they know the game....but also not all those who claim to be experienced pilots on this thread are in my opinion.......those culprits I think are well under suspicion at this point!:D

Yes, we've had a few Walter Mitty type b/s merchants on here full of waffle, bluster and pure drivel. They will always trip themselves up and are easily weeded out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

So how do you tell if someone is experienced or not? When I first started reading this thread there was a guy who stated that he was EI retired, he gave some excellent answers, but was finally forced away.......

Smurfjed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Smurf, he wasn't driven away.

The porkies he was coming out with just gave the game away.

smurfjed wrote: »
    So how do you tell if someone is experienced or not? When I first started reading this thread there was a guy who stated that he was EI retired, he gave some excellent answers, but was finally forced away.......

Smurfjed
    Smurf, he wasn't driven away.

The porkies he was coming out with just gave the game away.

I believe there was a comment he made that was taken far too literally and a bit out of context and many people made their minds up there and then. Something about the speed of sound. It seemed flippant and jestful at the time. I took it as meaning a ground speed of above 661kts. Others leaped on it as proof of something. He was the recognised "most experienced" pilot and some seemed to look at that with envy. I exchanged a few PMs a while back with him. He seemed to know his stuff and answered one question I asked relating to a certain former skipper with accuracy that would lead me to believe his credentials. I'll choose to be a believer.

Maybe he was a Walter Mitty as you say......but if he was he was a pretty good con man. I think he knew a little bit too much to be a fake and his sometimes sarcastic jibes were taken literally or seized upon by the wannabes.
    With him aside I can state that there is at least one other talking through his backside on this thread..:rolleyes:
    Bearcat and Priority Right along with a few others conduct themselves in a believable manner.......others do not....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I believe there was a comment he made that was taken far too literally and a bit out of context and many people made their minds up there and then. Something about the speed of sound. It seemed flippant and jestful at the time. I took it as meaning a ground speed of above 661kts. Others leaped on it as proof of something. He was the recognised "most experienced" pilot and some seemed to look at that with envy. I exchanged a few PMs a while back with him. He seemed to know his stuff and answered one question I asked relating to a certain former skipper with accuracy that would lead me to believe his credentials. I'll choose to be a believer.

Maybe he was a Walter Mitty as you say......but if he was he was a pretty good con man. I think he knew a little bit too much to be a fake and his sometimes sarcastic jibes were taken literally or seized upon by the wannabes.
    With him aside I can state that there is at least one other talking through his backside on this thread..:rolleyes:
    Bearcat and Priority Right along with a few others conduct themselves in a believable manner.......others do not....

That was XWB wasn't it?

To be fair to him, his stuff came across as reasonable enough.

If he was a mitty he was a damn good one.... and i have my doubts as to whether or not he was.

fATPL acquired early July through modular route and offered a position early August. Currently on week 4 of a 6 week type rating with base and line training to follow.
    Define positon? Are you paying or getting paid? Either way, well done.
    So which category do you think that i fall into?

I will humor you by telling you that i remember doing my first medical with Dr Laffen in St Bricins :) and the FAA with Dr Colm Killeen Snr not Jnr. I also had the pleasure of doing the CPL written exams and then the ATP, I avoided doing the SCPL.

smurfjed

• Advertisement

Boeing Boy, do you use True or Magnetic after the Oceanic Entry point?

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

True N FTW!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boeingboy

For Smurfy..... true but im a very good boy, i check wrt magnetic, even do my 10 min plot!

Gotta go 4 a few pints next time ure home, twas wrights the last time....remember??

My orig medical wasnt fun in Ireland. Col Morgan.. shaky hands with the "smell"!
    Flt test KHump.

B757/767

Ha ha am I that transparent? Yep it was Wrights with JR... :):)

Home til the 07th, doing part time task as tour guide and translator :) .....

smurfjed

boeingboy wrote: »
    For Smurfy..... true but im a very good boy, i check wrt magnetic, even do my 10 min plot!

Gotta go 4 a few pints next time ure home, twas wrights the last time....remember??

My orig medical wasnt fun in Ireland. Col Morgan.. shaky hands with the "smell"!
    Flt test KHump.

B757/767

Most important part of this post being......
    Last edited by boeingboy; Today at 11:46. Reason: nobody biz wot experience i have as noone else posts it

Not because you made an error in your experience that contradicted previous statements then no?:D

I wasn't going to say anything....but since you went and changed it I couldn't help myself....:(

Did you not state you fly for an Irish company? Not many Irish companies going cross the pond on the 757/767.....not a regular as you claim anyhow..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

........Did you not state you fly for an Irish company? Not many Irish companies going cross the pond on the 757/767.....not a regular as you claim anyhow..:rolleyes:
    I don't think BoeingBoy ever claimed to be working for an Irish company, he aid he was Irish and regularly flew B757 into DUB. That's really it as far as I have read of his posts.

On that note I would not agree with some of his posts (opinions rather that technical facts) but don't think he has contradicted himself.

Go find yourself a woman!

I dont work for an "Oirish" company,

My experience????
    Get off my back. What are you trying to start Cadet?

I came on here to try and help and browse wots happening in Irish aviation as Im very soon returning to it with an Irish operator as a DEC. I also moderate on a much larger website involved with aviation and Ive never in my life on websites come across such willy waving and childish immature "people". some of them.

Like others. Im very experienced and was trying to make an input.

What you want to see? My Id ?? Licences?
    as Ive said ive nothing to prove, was just trying to help.
    The moderators here know my identity on the "other" site.

M.......T

Well I think you are a b/s'er who is purposely blinding people with jargon. Your style of writing suggests you are a kid and your use of para-phrased jargon in reply to questions is painful at times....

The outward flaunting of your much vaunted "experience" and "status" is what gives you away. Rarely do you post without bragging:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boeingboy

Wotever.
    Ive just emailed andy_g, perhaps you should get in contact with him in due course when hes read my message.

Only trying to help here. But you an inexperienced knowall, i will be refraining from posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

There is absolutely no way that at Captain or First officer would write like that on a public forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

John_Mc wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way that at Captain or First officer would write like that on a public forum.

Contrary to old fashioned myth, captains and F/O's are human too. This is an anonymous forum so no need to have your professional face on at all times.

I have typed statements online that i would never allow in an internal work email

Advertisement