Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs USA Eagles, Sun 11 Sep 7am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭forlorndonkey

Otacon wrote: »
    So, no then?

He got it a week and a half ago, google will tell you the mildest calf strains take 2 weeks to heal.
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    Such utter tripe. There is an argument to be made that they wouldn't have broken into the team as soon if it wasn't for injury, but to say that they wouldn't be capped at all is just nonsense. You're making up conspiracies against Deccie that aren't needed. There's enough reasons to criticise him without your hyperbole.

Mike Ross got in just in time, if it wasn't for those injuries to other players it would have been too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Ireland by less than 20
    He got it a week and a half ago, google will tell you the mildest calf strains take 2 weeks to heal.

Google will solve all my medical needs so! No more GP for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Mike Ross got in just in time, if it wasn't for those injuries to other players it would have been too late.

Google > trained medical personnel...

Stev_o wrote: »
    Google will solve all my medical needs so! No more GP for me.

That's a nice glib retort, but I'm still right ;)

Why is it so unthinkable to you Kidney would play an injured Darcy when played him on a torn groin before? And played POC injured for a year?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/sprainsstrains/qt/calfstrain.htm

Grade I Calf Strain: Mild discomfort, often minimal disability. Usually minimal or no limits to activity.

The length of time needed for healing a calf strain depends on the severity of the injury. A typical grade I calf strain will heal in 7 to 10 days

He was held back from flying due to the amount of time he would have been cramped on an airplane. Which even a fully fit person finds straining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Ireland by less than 20

So you are trusting Google over the Irish management team, the physios and medics, and the player himself, who made the decision to play him?

So you are trusting Google over the Irish management team, the physios and medics, and the player himself, who made the decision to play him?

The same management team, physios and medics, and players themselves that collectively decided it was a good idea to play a chronically injured POC for a year? Causing him to miss an entire years rugby?

The same crowd who decided Darcy should be played with a torn groin against New Zealand?

Those are the people you trust to make the right decisions? Really?

Ireland by less than 20

The Irish physio team are a bunch of untouchables! When is the last time you'v seen the in form physio picked for the Irish team? It's disgraceful.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    http://orthopedics.about.com/od/sprainsstrains/qt/calfstrain.htm

Grade I Calf Strain: Mild discomfort, often minimal disability. Usually minimal or no limits to activity.

The length of time needed for healing a calf strain depends on the severity of the injury. A typical grade I calf strain will heal in 7 to 10 days

He was held back from flying due to the amount of time he would have been cramped on an airplane. Which even a fully fit person finds straining!

If he only had a '30% chance of being fit', then he didn't have a grade 1 tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Gary O'Driscoll has been surviving on his name alone for years now.

(Don't even know if he's still involved tbh.. :/)

• Advertisement

Ireland by less than 20

He's with one of these teams Arsenal/Man Utd/Man City. Left after the Grand Slam I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Exactly, he had a 30% chance. If this event happens 10 times, 3 of those times he would be fully fit for the match. We've gotten lucky and this was one of those 3 times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/23873.php

McNaughton added: "Everybody else is fit and strong and available for selection, including Rob (Kearney), Sean (O'Brien) and Gordon D'Arcy."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That was a journo's uneducated opinion.

When D'Arcy was left at home the management said that his injury wasn't an issue, it was just the risk that putting him straight on a plane after the England game would exacerbate the swelling it caused.

When he arrived the physio team had to monitor him to ensure that there were no side-effects from the flying. The original injury was only important in so far as it may have caused swelling that could become a seperate issue. That didn't happen, and D'arcy is fit.

I'm not worried in the least by D'Arcy's injury, more his complete lack of form this year.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Exactly, he had a 30% chance. If this event happens 10 times, 3 of those times he would be fully fit for the match. We've gotten lucky and this was one of those 3 times.

The Irish management has a history of playing Darcy (among others like POC) through injuries, enough said really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Ireland by less than 20

Stev_o wrote: »
    He's with one of these teams Arsenal/Man Utd/Man City. Left after the Grand Slam I think.

Eanna Falvey - Team Doctor

http://www.irishrugby.ie/coaches/20366.php

enough said really.

That's me convinced anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

USA
    On an almost completely unrelated note, and massively off topic, I CANNOT believe its ten years since Toxicity came out....

Not something appropriate for the dressing room on this occasion (one of the songs was about a suicide bomber... <eek>, but blood pumpin fightin' music all the same.

SHIMMY DARCY SHIMMY!

That was a journo's uneducated opinion.

When D'Arcy was left at home the management said that his injury wasn't an issue, it was just the risk that putting him straight on a plane after the England game would exacerbate the swelling it caused.

When he arrived the physio team had to monitor him to ensure that there were no side-effects from the flying. The original injury was only important in so far as it may have caused swelling that could become a seperate issue. That didn't happen, and D'arcy is fit.

I'm not worried in the least by D'Arcy's injury, more his complete lack of form this year.
    Because of Kidney's history of playing injured players, I don't know what to believe. I hope you're right and he isn't playing Darcy through injury again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Because Darcy is an untouchable. By contrast SOB and Healy wouldn't have a cap if Kidney hadn't been forced to play them through injuries to other players. Whereas Darcy has been atrocious (by his own very high standards) for Ireland for 2 years, and has never been dropped once and has even been played through injuries (torn groin).

Likewise with POC, another untouchable, where Kidney knew 100% he wasn't fit that year before POC had to take a year out to heal, and he played him anyway, because POC is another untouchable.

Right so Ted, makes perfect sense now you put it like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭MaryKing

The same management team, physios and medics, and players themselves that collectively decided it was a good idea to play a chronically injured POC for a year? Causing him to miss an entire years rugby?

The same crowd who decided Darcy should be played with a torn groin against New Zealand?

Those are the people you trust to make the right decisions? Really?

For someone who was injured, Paul O'Connell sure had an outstanding game against South Africa in Nov. '09.

Only international rugby he played in 2010 was the 6Ns - he missed the summer tour and the autumn internationals.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Right so Ted, makes perfect sense now you put it like that.

If I'm Ted, that'd make you Dougal wouldn't it?

Joking ;)

MaryKing wrote: »
    For someone who was injured, Paul O'Connell sure had an outstanding game against South Africa in Nov. '09.

Only international rugby he played in 2010 was the 6Ns - he missed the summer tour and the autumn internationals.

Yeah he was definitely injured alright. It's a measure of the character of the man he was able to play through that kind of pain, a bit like Paul McGrath and his destroyed knees. In the long run it was a terrible decision for POC though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭MaryKing

Yeah he was definitely injured alright. It's a measure of the character of the man he was able to play through that kind of pain, a bit like Paul McGrath and his destroyed knees. In the long run it was a terrible decision for POC though.

He continued to play for Munster though after the autumn internationals. Remember he was famously carded against Northampton just before the 6ns.

My recollection is that he picked up a groin strain in the 6Ns which became infected and the problem was that it took a long time to diagnose it.

I believe a GAA got a similar infection recently, but thanks to what they learned about POC, they were able to sort him out very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

forlorndonkey has been permanently banned from the Rugby Forum for constant trolling, so there's no point in replying.

If anyone notices a re-reg, please don't engage, but do report, thanks.

MaryKing wrote: »
    He continued to play for Munster though after the autumn internationals. Remember he was famously carded against Northampton just before the 6ns.

My recollection is that he picked up a groin strain in the 6Ns which became infected and the problem was that it took a long time to diagnose it.

I believe a GAA got a similar infection recently, but thanks to what they learned about POC, they were able to sort him out very quickly.

I think you're spot on here. If I remember the first match he missed or there were grumblings he might be injured was the Munster v Leinster game in Thomond after the 6N's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Against France in Croke Park we won 12/12 of our own lineouts.

Flannery has thrown a couple of bad darts in the warm ups as well, and was not 100% at any time. He's better than Best, but only marginally, and thats just as a thrower.

And the Q-Final was another example of pathetic jumping from the Ulster lineout.

Best is and always has been a better scrummager. He's also a great leader and he's younger. There's a reason he was started ahead of Flannery before the injuries. He's well worth his place in the team.

Good to see Rory getting a bit of support other than from myself! With the age differential between himself and Fla, Fla is going to have to rediscover his best ever form to get back in the team. There are many examples of games where Best, Paulie and Donncha have had 100% returns on their lineout, this coming from a hooker who can't apparently throw the ball!!!! It never ceases to amaze me the amount of fans who attribute a lost line out to the hooker, despite how many times this is pointed out on this forum. I thought after Rory's fantastic 6 Nations when he was one of Ireland's better performers people would have
    moved on from this debate!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

USA
    I apologise if this has been asked already but will the match be televised here by any chance?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ireland by less than 20
    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I apologise if this has been asked already but will the match be televised here by any chance?
    RTE is showing it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Ireland by less than 20
    Is anyone else expecting Ireland to come out playing a fast paced game, looking to offload in the tackle, hitting lines at angles, running from deep type of game ?

Or are most people expecting the type of game they played in the warm ups ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement