Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear your wedding ring?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

Maguined wrote: »
    Surely these avatars of manly virtue that work with the big machines would be wearing protective gloves?

What a silly thing to say..........then they would be "nancy boys" for wearing gloves and protecting themselves from a good old hand ripping!!"

I say just wear the ring! it's not that bad. Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If you have a wusses job sitting in an office or something equally feminine, then there really is no excuse, but if you actually work for a living; heavy engineering, deep sea fishing, farming or any job that revolves around machinery/moving parts and your hands then it's advisable not to have any rings as you risk having your finger ripped off (I've seen it happen twice).

METHINKS THE LADY DOTH PROTEST TOO MUCH

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Lanaier wrote: »
    Yes, sitting in an office is quite feminine.

When we're let out of the kitchen we always head for the office for some reason. Maybe the flat surfaces remind us of the tabletops and the wonders of making sammiches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If you have a wusses job sitting in an office or something equally feminine, then there really is no excuse, but if you actually work for a living; heavy engineering, deep sea fishing, farming or any job that revolves around machinery/moving parts and your hands then it's advisable not to have any rings as you risk having your finger ripped off (I've seen it happen twice).

Moderator, moderate thyself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My wife has had to change her name and has had all the hassle that goes with that - I reckon wearing a ring is a small gesture on my part for the team.
    Azureus wrote: »
    I feel the same about a woman taking the husbands name. Its symbolism and tradition that I personally feel are the most important parts of marriage. Id be pretty put out if I married and my husband didnt wear his ring-and Im fairly easy going in general.

These are interesting points actually, I wonder would many of same guys who would refuse to wear a ring be okay with their wife keeping her own name? Likewise, would most of the women who would insist on her husband wearing a ring also consider changing her name to his if it would make him happy (and she initially didn't want to)? Just curious :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Dolorous wrote: »
    These are interesting points actually, I wonder would many of same guys who would refuse to wear a ring be okay with their wife keeping her own name?

I'd have no problem with a wife keeping her own name. In fact, I'd probably be in favour of it.

I didn't say I'd refuse either, just that I'm not that keen on the idea of wearing a ring. I know numerous long lasting marriages where the man didn't wear a ring. Like I said earlier, if a woman really wanted me to wear one, I'd obviously think about it. But it wouldn't be something I'd naturally lean towards.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm not going to bother my hole getting a chain. For what? My wife doesn't wear her ring, work, and she kept her surname too, also for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I wonder would many of same guys who would refuse to wear a ring be okay with their wife keeping her own name? Likewise, would most of the women who would insist on her husband wearing a ring also consider changing her name to his if it would make him happy (and she initially didn't want to)?
    good question. I belong to the ring-wearing camp and I will take his name (but also keep my own) though I originally wouldn't have dreamt of it. I changed my mind because it was important to him and he's the last in his family. We hit on a compromise that makes both of us happy - we will be Mr. and Ms. Myname Hisname but we'll only go by Hisname. If we couldn't come to a decision that makes both of us happy on such small issues as rings and names, I'd be seriously worried about how we'd cope with any big issues down the line

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'd have no issues with my wife keeping her own name. She'll keep it aslong as she's in the company she's in, which may be a while but if she moves she'll change it, but tbh i dont care either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wife kept her own name and I've never worn my wedding ring in 6 years..married...6 years.
    Couldn't get used to it at all.
    Now sits proud on the fireplace!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

were the ring, you wont even notice its there after a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Op if you need a ring to say you are married, should you be married in the first place?

Married 11 years and never wore it, not because i dont want to show commitment but its too dangerous at work. When OH complains, i take it out and show her how shiny it is and how well kept, unlike hers:D

And any time i went out with the lads with the ring on, i was pestered all night by women trying to 'get' a married man for the 'no-strings' or practice their chatting up, dont know which (or care either). My OH got a big shock, when we went out with a gang and i had the ring on, at how many women would just come over to chat to me and the total absence of women with the ring off.

Its a piece of jewellery at the end of the day. Marriage is in your head and 50,000 rings on your fingers is not going to change your mind if you are going to cheat IMO

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

5live wrote: »
    Op if you need a ring to say you are married, should you be married in the first place?

Married 11 years and never wore it, not because i dont want to show commitment but its too dangerous at work. When OH complains, i take it out and show her how shiny it is and how well kept, unlike hers:D

And any time i went out with the lads with the ring on, i was pestered all night by women trying to 'get' a married man for the 'no-strings' or practice their chatting up, dont know which (or care either). My OH got a big shock, when we went out with a gang and i had the ring on, at how many women would just come over to chat to me and the total absence of women with the ring off.

Its a piece of jewellery at the end of the day. Marriage is in your head and 50,000 rings on your fingers is not going to change your mind if you are going to cheat IMO

I think you need to read my OP, i dont want to wear a ring :D

Advertisement