Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear your wedding ring?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

beertons wrote: »
    i'm nearly married a year, and haven't worn the ring since the honeymoon. fluid in my hands make my fingers swell. one minute they're fat, the next they're not. the ring had fallen off a few times, and no point in getting it resized. i should have gotten a chain for it to wear round my neck, but see it as a waste of money.

A chain costs about a few euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Malari wrote: »
    The ring on a chain around the neck is awful I think, as I hate necklaces and chains on guys.

Well you don't have to care too much, he is taken after all. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

bluewolf wrote: »
    A chain costs about a few euro

A chain there is no chance of breaking? It is something you don't want to lose after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Scarlet 27

Well I personally have zero interest in ever getting married (I think it is a bit pointless but if it meant a lot to my partner to get married I would) so if I was forced to get married by my partner they had better wear the ring I think it is the least they could do.

From my personal experience any man I know who doesn't wear his wedding ring cheats on his wife on a regular basis more so than those who do wear the ring so personally if I got married I would expect him to wear the ring (and yes I am aware that this is not all men and I don't mean to make a generalisation just in my experience as a female I have been hit on by quite a few men who never wore a wedding ring but who thankfully I happened to know were married and when they didn't succeed with me have gone off with other people who clearly were unaware that they were married or at least I hope so).

Of course if people want to cheat I guess they can just take of the ring like so many people but I just think that in day to day life if you have it on more people know you are married and it is a public sign that you are committed to your partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Have one but stopped wearing it as in work i need to take it off about 6 times per day due to my work

Have lost it about 50 times and panic when i cant find it

No point as I WILL loose it at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

When I got married the ring drove me mental on my hand, got used to it after a few days but still find i have to take it off at night going to bed as I cant sleep knowing its there lol. in saying that i've often left the house without it in the morning but now feels really strange not to wear it.............i've even turned back to get it strange how things work out...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

When I got married the ring drove me mental on my hand, got used to it after a few days but still find i have to take it off at night going to bed as I cant sleep knowing its there lol. in saying that i've often left the house without it in the morning but now feels really strange not to wear it.............i've even turned back to get it strange how things work out...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A chain there is no chance of breaking? It is something you don't want to lose after all.

This doesn't look too breakable
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Pendant-Chain-links-inches/dp/B00124PAY4/ref=sr_1_4?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1315214548&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Bright-Solid-Pendant-inches/dp/B0016NAL3G/ref=sr_1_1?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1315214548&sr=1-1

They're heavier than I would wear and I've yet to have a chain break, and I'm careless enough

Or you could go fancy and diamond cut...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Gents-Solid-Diamond-20/dp/B000RL20OG/ref=sr_1_6?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1315214548&sr=1-6
    :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you have a wusses job sitting in an office or something equally feminine, then there really is no excuse, but if you actually work for a living; heavy engineering, deep sea fishing, farming or any job that revolves around machinery/moving parts and your hands then it's advisable not to have any rings as you risk having your finger ripped off (I've seen it happen twice).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Scarlet 27 wrote: »
    Of course if people want to cheat I guess they can just take of the ring like so many people but I just think that in day to day life if you have it on more people know you are married and it is a public sign that you are committed to your partner.

... OK maybe I'm just oblivious but I've hardly ever/never noticed wedding rings at all.
    Out of my married friends I couldn't tell you who does or does not wear a ring.
    Do people notice them that readily?
    I imagine women spot them more than men do...

• Advertisement

I can't speak for all women but I would always check to see if a guy has a wedding ring if I was interested in him or he was coming on to me and so would my friends. I don't want to be party to someone elses cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Don't like the thoughts of ever wearing a ring. My dad didn't like wearing his either, but then again he was active enough. I remember one of the guys in school getting his finger ripped off on a waltzer in a fairground and that was it, no rings for me.

I might wear one on the off special occasion, if she wanted me to, but I definitely would put the foot down on her spending and kind of money on something that doesn't mean anything to me and I'll probably never wear

kiffer wrote: »
    ... OK maybe I'm just oblivious but I've hardly ever/never noticed wedding rings at all.

Don't look at me, I'd be oblivious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Well you don't have to care too much, he is taken after all. :pac:

I mean if MY boyfriend wanted to wear one!
    I can't speak for all women but I would always check to see if a guy has a wedding ring if I was interested in him or he was coming on to me and so would my friends. I don't want to be party to someone elses cheating.

See, I don't get this. You don't have to be married to cheat.

Of course you don't have to be married to cheat, thats why I think marriage is a pointless institution it doesn't make one tad of difference as to whether or not a relationship works and I have no interest in getting married myself as per my previous post

I am just saying that I don't want to actively participate in someone else's cheating. If I know someone has a girlfriend/fiance/wife I am obviously not going to be with them but if you meet some random man on a night out and you have no way of knowing his real relationship status at a minimum I would check to make sure there was no wedding ring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Got married recently.
    Never wore jewellry except a watch.

I now wear the ring everytime I go out.
    I like wearing it but it has taken a bit of getting used to.
    I don't mind if people look at me and say that he's married...because I am.
    :)

My wife has had to change her name and has had all the hassle that goes with that - I reckon wearing a ring is a small gesture on my part for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Of course you don't have to be married to cheat, thats why I think marriage is a pointless institution it doesn't make one tad of difference as to whether or not a relationship works and I have no interest in getting married myself as per my previous post

I am just saying that I don't want to actively participate in someone else's cheating. If I know someone has a girlfriend/fiance/wife I am obviously not going to be with them but if you meet some random man on a night out and you have no way of knowing his real relationship status at a minimum I would check to make sure there was no wedding ring.

BUT THE TAX BENEFITS!!!!?!?!??!?!?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Oh, yeah, I was saying that from the point of the wife who insists her husband wears a ring. If he wanted to cheat he could have done so before he was married, or he could take off his ring. So is the "you must wear a ring" idea just so she can see it on him?

RedXIV wrote: »
    BUT THE TAX BENEFITS!!!!?!?!??!?!?! :P

Really not a good enough reason in my opinion! Besides they are meant to bring in the tax breaks for people who are qualified co-habitants (supposed to come in September 2011 but haven't heard any further details) so it won't make that much of a difference in the long run especially when you consider the amount of hassle involved in organising a wedding and the expensive of it.

• Advertisement

Really not a good enough reason in my opinion! Besides they are meant to bring in the tax breaks for people who are qualified co-habitants (supposed to come in September 2011 but haven't heard any further details) so it won't make that much of a difference in the long run especially when you consider the amount of hassle involved in organising a wedding and the expensive of it.

Always comes back to the legal stuff for me: visitation rights etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

OK maybe I'm just oblivious but I've hardly ever/never noticed wedding rings at all.
    I always thought this too but I'm still just amazed by the number of men who've noticed my engagement ring (and no, it's not a rock - very modest) so I think people (men and women) do notice such things

bluewolf wrote: »
    Always comes back to the legal stuff for me: visitation rights etc

Once you are down as the father on the birth cert it makes no difference re visitation rights etc if you are married or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ok folks,this thread is in danger of veering wildly off topic.Its asking whether a bloke would wear a wedding ring not about the pros and cons of marriage and all the potential problems that can arise.

Back on topic please.

Once you are down as the father on the birth cert it makes no difference re visitation rights etc if you are married or not.

im talking about to your spouse in hospital :confused::confused:

anyway er back on topic... I don't know what else to suggest, I would have said a watch next but OP fiancee has an issue :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Im not a massive fan of marriage itself, but I think the symbolism of wearing a ring as a sign of commitment to a person is a bigger deal than the piece of paper itself. I feel the same about a woman taking the husbands name. Its symbolism and tradition that I personally feel are the most important parts of marriage. Id be pretty put out if I married and my husband didnt wear his ring-and Im fairly easy going in general.
    If I knew fromt he off that the person didnt like or wear jewellery at all then Im sure there can be another version of the ring, although im not sure what that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If you have a wusses job sitting in an office or something equally feminine, then there really is no excuse

Yes, sitting in an office is quite feminine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

RedXIV wrote: »
    Don't like the thoughts of ever wearing a ring. My dad didn't like wearing his either, but then again he was active enough. I remember one of the guys in school getting his finger ripped off on a waltzer in a fairground and that was it, no rings for me.

I might wear one on the off special occasion, if she wanted me to, but I definitely would put the foot down on her spending and kind of money on something that doesn't mean anything to me and I'll probably never wear
    Thanks Red, this is the compromise i've suggested. Is that if we go to weddings, parties etc i'll wear it but generally day to day life etc i'm not.
    Reception so far seems a bit frosty but its a compromise i'll be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If you have a wusses job sitting in an office or something equally feminine, then there really is no excuse, but if you actually work for a living; heavy engineering, deep sea fishing, farming or any job that revolves around machinery/moving parts and your hands then it's advisable not to have any rings as you risk having your finger ripped off (I've seen it happen twice).

Surely these avatars of manly virtue that work with the big machines would be wearing protective gloves?

I have never worn any sort of jewellery not even watches so I would be reluctant to wear a wedding ring, I couldn't say for sure whether I would or would not as I am not anywhere near that situation of being in a committed engage relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

was married for 5 years and never wore one.... don't need it now

Advertisement