Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear your wedding ring?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 7:23pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So.. getting married next year. I wear a watch and thats my only piece of bling. I've never worn a ring/chain despite a few having been bought for me over the years by various Gfs. But my fiance is blowing a gasket now as we will be heading to NY in a few months and she wanted to pick out wedding rings.

My reply of "i dont care what ring you get me cos i wont be wearing it" didnt go down to well :pac::pac:

She's pretty miffed about it, she's buying me a reall nice watch for the big day and i'd love to have that engraved with our names/date but she thinks it's unacepptable that i dont wear the ring.

So men of the GC, if married do you wear a ring? iIf you plan on getting married will you wear one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭term

Of course you wear the ring, you looove the ring.
    Then you start wearing the ring less, then you start leaving it off.

Play the long game on this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I used to be like you - a bit wary of wearing "jewellry". but I got used to the wedding ring.

It's the ball and chain that's the problem now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

precioussssss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

So.. getting married next year. I wear a watch and thats my only piece of bling. I've never worn a ring/chain despite a few having been bought for me over the years by various Gfs. But my fiance is blowing a gasket now as we will be heading to NY in a few months and she wanted to pick out wedding rings.

My reply of "i dont care what ring you get me cos i wont be wearing it" didnt go down to well :pac::pac:

She's pretty miffed about it, she's buying me a reall nice watch for the big day and i'd love to have that engraved with our names/date but she thinks it's unacepptable that i dont wear the ring.

So men of the GC, if married do you wear a ring? iIf you plan on getting married will you wear one?

I'm married and wear a ring. Not into jewellery myself, never wore rings, chains in the past.

Lots of married pals, some wear a ring, some don't. To me it's not a big deal, whether guys/gals wear the ring or not.

I think some people have different views on this though.

Nice to get a cool watch, but I'd say you might have your work cut out for you trying to persuade one of the pro ring group to accept you're not going to wear a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

you my friend were me 12 months ago...i hate wearing the ring and had many heated debates about it as all our friends wear them and if they wear them the argument was that i should wear it.
    i only wear it on special occasions out and and about and only when its handed to me and told to"put it on"
    dont worry the nagging fades out with time;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

When I get married I probably wont, my father has been married 30 years and has never worn his.

I can barely wear a watch, I don't like jewelery, a ring would annoy me.

The watch sounds cool, whats her issue? Wants people to know you are taken or something? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

Never wear bling myself.

Got a grand watch from my other half instead.

Stick to your guns.....if you don't want a ring don't get one.....if you give in...it's a slippery slope!!!!!!!!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Lost my original wedding ring on our honeymoon. (long story ;)) I got a replacement as my next birthday present. I had to take it off for surgery once but it's been there for over 25 years now. Very proud man to still be able to wear it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

I never remember my Dad wearing his ring, and it's not just because it would be dangerous to wear it in his job, he just would never wear jewellery in a million years. I think it's fair enough, it's a big ask if it's not your thing and my mother doesn't mind at all. My mother didn't even wear hers for years because it got too small, but she got it resized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

my mam weres one my dad don't weres a watch not really a ring kinda guy i said it befoire in another thread I'd never were a ring ever hate them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I dont wear any jewellery at all,never have done but prolly wouldnt be averse to it if the time ever comes.All of my male friends in my age group that have gotten hitched wear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

When I got married I wore it for about 2 months and it annoyed the hell out of me, but in stupidity I had gotten one of those with a thick band believing it would survive better in my line of work at the time.
    Anyway, I ditched it, and about 3 years on, the wife went the same road:cool:
    I did feel bad about not wearing it though.

If I ever get married again, I intend to get a slimmer one and to never take it off, sad romantic that I am.

*on a side issue, they are a babe magnet, if you were of that mind.
    I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

I'd wear a ring myself, but I find it reallllly unattractive when guys wear rings, and if it were up to me, would rather he wear it on a chain around his neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I can't see myself wearing one. My Dad never wore one either. I've probably inherited his aversion to male jewellery. I'll wear a watch, but that's about it. I wouldn't be too gone on the ring on a chain idea either.

Although obviously if a girl I genuinely loved really wanted me to wear one, I would give it a go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd wear a ring myself, but I find it reallllly unattractive when guys wear rings, and if it were up to me, would rather he wear it on a chain around his neck.
    would prefer that to wearing one as they annoy me but that is so getting lost!
    dont think material things like that matter at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I can't stand wearing rings and generally not bracelets either. I think I would try to make an exception for engagement/wedding ring though. If I got sick of it I'd stick it on a chain around my neck. OP might do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DelilahsDelight

term wrote: »
    Of course you wear the ring, you looove the ring.
    Then you start wearing the ring less, then you start leaving it off.

Now that I think about it, this is what my husband does:eek: I wear mine all of the time, I'd be lost without it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I can easily understand your GFs reaction.

Wedding rings are one of the few outward signs men display to indicate that they are married and a decision not to wear a ring can be taken as a sign that the man is not willing to openly declare that they are married. It can be seen as a small sign of a lack of commitment.

While it is everyone's right to decide that they do not want to wear a ring and if it is not an issue for either partner then fair enough. However if it is a big issue for either partner then consider this, if you are not willing to make small concessions to keep your partner feeling happy and secure there there are bigger issues that need to be dealt with in the relationship and taking a stand on wearing of rings is just a symptom.

As a spouse, there are many times when you will need to put the feelings of your partner ahead of your own, this is a two way street for both partners. Living and Loving is a series of compromises and accommodations, all of which are small acts of love, things that you would not do for a friend, but that you would do for your partner without thinking, because the reward is always so much greater then the investment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

bluewolf wrote: »
    I can't stand wearing rings and generally not bracelets either. I think I would try to make an exception for engagement/wedding ring though. If I got sick of it I'd stick it on a chain around my neck. OP might do the same?

No i'm not a chain person either, it's a watch or nothing :)
    There's a good bit of time before the wedding so i'm sure we can come to some compromise i.e. nagged into submission:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

I'm getting married next month and I never really considered not getting a ring.
    Surprised at the reactions of this thread actually, interesting.

I haven't worn a ring since I was a teenager but if it will keep the missus happy then whats the harm?

Is it really such a big deal?
    It's a token of commitment, and other than it being irritating to your skin I don't see any reason not to just wear it.

Not judging mind you, just kind of surprised people could be arsed to make a fuss over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It wouldn't bother me if my partner didn't want to wear a ring. It's the only jewellry my dad wears, apart from a watch. The ring on a chain around the neck is awful I think, as I hate necklaces and chains on guys.

I don't really get why it's an issue for wives if the husband won't wear a ring. Is it just a sign of commitment? I know one woman who wanted her husband to get a tattoo ring on his finger ;-) he refused!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,592 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I don't see why it should become an issue for any couple.If a man doesn't want to wear a ring ,that decision should be respected( & vice versa,obviously)
    Before we married ,my OH hated men wearing jewellery,so I was really surprised when he decided nearer the day,that he wanted a ring- it's not a traditional 'plain band' wedding ring though,I think that's what had been putting him off. Over the years ,a lot of people have admired it,and a few men even said they'd prefer something like it rather than a traditional band.

To be honest,it's this point about 'doing it to keep her happy' bit that I don't get- shouldn't she just respect the decision and move on......or am I being unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

While it is everyone's right to decide that they do not want to wear a ring and if it is not an issue for either partner then fair enough. However if it is a big issue for either partner then consider this, if you are not willing to make small concessions to keep your partner feeling happy and secure there there are bigger issues that need to be dealt with in the relationship and taking a stand on wearing of rings is just a symptom.

As a spouse, there are many times when you will need to put the feelings of your partner ahead of your own, this is a two way street for both partners. Living and Loving is a series of compromises and accommodations, all of which are small acts of love, things that you would not do for a friend, but that you would do for your partner without thinking, because the reward is always so much greater then the investment.

By the same token shouldn't the OP's partner be happy to accept that the OP doesn't want to wear a ring and be happy to make that concession. While it is true that relationships rely on both people making concessions it's misleading to suggest that deciding who should make which concessions and when is always a straight forward matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

I can easily understand your GFs reaction.

Wedding rings are one of the few outward signs men display to indicate that they are married and a decision not to wear a ring can be taken as a sign that the man is not willing to openly declare that they are married. It can be seen as a small sign of a lack of commitment.

I agree that the likely unhappiness over the lack of ring wearing would be the outward display of "being taken" thing. To be honest, I find the whole marriage thing just a big outward statement of commitment anyways, particularly for some people. Maybe I'm just terrible cynical but I think if the guy I was going out with never wore jewellery and felt uncomfortable about wearing a ring I don't think I'd mind. I guess I wouldn't mind going without a ring either so maybe I'm the wrong person to give advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Also, I cringe at all of these "Brideszilla" and "Don't tell the bride" programmes where the women often throw hissy fits if her perfect day doesn't turn out the way she has dreamed of since she was 12

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've never had one. We did out wedding on a budgit and jewlery was way down the list of essentials at the time.
    I just haven't bothered getting one yet and probably won't as after 19 years it seem a bit pointless now.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP would you be happy with your new wife going out with all the girls and not wearing her wedding ring? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't wear mine really at all. Hate jewellery. I also find chains and ear rings on men absolutely dreadful, so wouldn't go with the chain idea either.
    I'll wear it if going to some special occasion if I think of it, but won't bother otherwise.
    Wore it consistantly after the wedding to see if I'd get used to it, but didn't really. In fact, the only time I was ever chatted up was a few months after the wedding when out with the lads while wearing the ring. Haven't worn it out with the lads since and have been duly ignored by the opposite sex, so it's a safety thing with me! :D
    Seriously though, a cheater will cheat regardless of a ring. An honest person won't, even if there's nothing on his finger.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,079 ✭✭✭✭beertons

i'm nearly married a year, and haven't worn the ring since the honeymoon. fluid in my hands make my fingers swell. one minute they're fat, the next they're not. the ring had fallen off a few times, and no point in getting it resized. i should have gotten a chain for it to wear round my neck, but see it as a waste of money.

Advertisement