Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ze Bulli

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so the wire i have is .13mm nichrome 79 ohms a meter

no wonder I was having souch trouble with cold vapour and flavour, using way too much wire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

So that is Nichrome wire you hve.

And 1000/79*3 = 38 mm for 3 Ohm coil.

So cut about 50mm of wire to save wasting it, if ya feel comfortable with longer length it does'nt matter. See below.

Coil it with maybe 4 turns ( Don't know what your using as a splinter btw which makes a difference to amount of wire your using) but have it in such a way that when it's coiled you have even tails sticking out.

Once they are clamped through the posts it does not affect the overall resistance of the coil, your cutting it off anyway.

Get that multimeter anyway, go to 200 on the Ohm setting.
    Place the two probes together to get a reading, then place a probe each on top of the screws to get a reading.

Subtract the first reading to get your resistance.

Work from there then, your aiming for a 2.6 - 3 Ohm with that wire which is suitable for HV vaping.

Probably have to add a extra turn or something, i don't know because i don't have that wire and splinter your using etc

Gryzor wrote: »
    1.7ohm

Spot on Gryzor.

I get that mostly, sometimes 1.6.

im using a sharp needle as a splint. one of the ones from thebestshop I think, maye I ordered them somewhere else but they're the standard sharp needles for ecig stuff
    paperclip was far too think, soon as I took it out the coils were hardly touching the wick

im guessing the coil I have now is around 3.5-4ohm, maybe even higher so if I can tip into town this afternoon and pick up a multimeter I can get to work making a 2ohm coil.

is there a certain amount of wire you have to use? like.. I could technically make a 1 ohm coil with this in theory, it might only be one turn on the wick.. but would only haveing one turn of wire in my coil negatively affect the vape?

im guessing the coil I have now is around 3.5-4ohm, maybe even higher so if I can tip into town this afternoon and pick up a multimeter I can get to work making a 2ohm coil.

is there a certain amount of wire you have to use? like.. I could technically make a 1 ohm coil with this in theory, it might only be one turn on the wick.. but would only haveing one turn of wire in my coil negatively affect the vape?

Splinter your using is fine.

The more wire on the wick the better the vapour production and flavour.

4 turns of 0.15 will give me around 2.2 Ohms but it dries too quick.
    5 turns of 0.20 adds an extra turn giving around the same measurent but with more wire i will get better results.

6 turns of .20 gives me 1.7 Ohms, lots of wire, vapour and flavour.

0.13 wire and 2 Ohms is feck all wire, where is the juice supposed to vapourise off ?

As for 1 Ohm, no comment :)

Read this..
    http://ukvapers.com/topic/7356-bulli-a2-windings-confused/

• Advertisement

hrm
    well I have that ebay wire you reccomend coming, so ill just use the stuff I have now to get used to making coils I think, rather than trying to get a great vape and when that stuff comes I'll start trying to make proper ohm coils

Different wick would probably make a difference too.

I'll be sending ya some of the 1mm and 3mm from the Group Buy.

Will send ya a metre of Heavens Gift wick as well, which looks the same as Bulli wick but that's where the similarities end.

Have to order wire too so i have none of that spare.

PM alec about some of that wick he can source.

aye ill see what money I have on the card later

im tempted to get some of that stainless steel mesh if I can afford it too

i think part of the problem i was having last night was i wasn't putting enough juice in

today ive beenputting 20 drops or so in when i felt it needed more juice and while the vapour is still pretty cool and the flavour is kinda muted, that is to be expected considering i've probably made a stupidly high ohm coil and the overall performance is more satisfying than it was towards the end of last night

I'd be more inclined to stay with the wick n' wire route for now.

Need a blowtorch or a jet flame lighter to oxidise the mesh, it's a lot trickier to get right.

Kanthal D .20 is more suitable i think for the mesh way, more durable than the Nichrome for that way of doing it. Kanthal D anyway whichever resistance wire from 0.15 and up to 0.20.

A lot people were put off repairables on UKVapers due to that group wick buy, loads are happy with it but many were put off getting one again until they tried different wicking material.

The RDA is a juice monster, has to be kept wet at all times.

rhm
    got the multimeter

resistance of the leads is .3 and the resistance of my RDA with coil in it is 2.8

so i have a 2.5 ohm coil in there
    that.. seems weird as that'd be roughly where i'm aiming for, but the vape is so cold and so-so on flavour even at 6v

maybe I ****ed the wick up

• Advertisement

6 v @ 2.5 = 14 watts...way too much power.
    How many turns of wire is on the wick?

Too much power and your drying the wick under the coil, not wicking fast enough to cope.

4.5/6 v @ 2.5 = 8 watts which should give you a nice vape.

Air hole in correct position, enough wick etc.

Posted that bit i had earlier anyway.

yeah it does seem like too much power alright, but im getting bugger all flavour at 4.5v

i think it's 4 or 5 turns on the wick, air hole is right

I might have too much wick in there.. i didnt bother unravelling it this time I just chopped a bit off and wrapped the coil around it

i think i have enough wire left for 4-5 more coils so I'll do another one later tonight with a thinner wick

or I suppose I could just be expecting too much from the RDA :)

I reckon with that much power you were using, it melted under the wire.

Just follow the video again later doing exactly as he does, two strands of wick etc

Bearing in mind he is using different wire to you, look at the amount of wick he uses and how it stretches around it etc. Oxidise the wire before using.

Maybe do 6 turns on the two strands.

The stuff i sent will be what you have now which i think is the so called 1mm, i sent you 3mm as well which looks a lot different and fluffier looking. I metre of heavens gift wick as well, you end up with 4 strands of that under the coil, one length as in cut off enough and you will end up with two loops on side and a loop and two tails on the other.

I don't like either of them, definitely get some off Alec's friend to try.

Ya should of got wire as soon as you ordered it.

Post in one of the RDA threads on UKVapers with close up pics and you will get good help on it from someone that uses it all the time.
    State the wire you have, resistance , wick etc

just took the top off, wick hasnt melted or burned looks fine

maybe I put too much juice in? there's a big pool of it in there, although i dont hear any bubbling or gurgling

*shrug*

ill get the hang of it eventually

Probably not enough wick in there soaking up the juice or just too much juice in there.
    The ends of the wick should lying on the bottom of the chamber behind the posts soaking in the juice, not loads so it's all over the chamber, just enough to gather the juice.
    You will get it alright.

** When ya took off the top, was the wick wet near and at the coil?

amount of wick looks fine to me I guess

wick is soaked all over, even around the coil
    no red glowing when I fire it

*shrug*

ive got it working anyway, now its just learning how to get it working properly

Looks to be far too much juice in it.
    Must be wet alright but not that much, only add when neccessary.

To have that much in it, you would need a bit of fluval siting at the back of the posts and the wick feeds of it, should of sent ya a bit :rolleyes:

hrm, ill try 10 drops next time instead of 20... :)

Yep, definitely.

Less than 10 even, don't risk flooding it straightaway.

He says it can hold 20 drops, what type of bottle is he using etc
    Different size drops out of different bottles, just play it safe with 6 drops or something.
    I drop 3 into the Bulli with a Inawera bottle, other bottles use double that.
    Have a few puffs and see what it's like then add 4 drops or whatever at a time, get a feel for it.

I think you will notice a big difference in performance.(hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

rhm
    got the multimeter

:) Congrats , u could check Lavatube voltage under load now . Go to V 20
    place a probe each on top of the RDA screws and fire the LT button (6 v at 2.5 ohm -- interesting to know real voltage under load)
    As for the RDA setup -- it will take some time to get it going , don't give up :D

• Advertisement

i dont think the leads will fit into the rda screws section, it screws on pretty tight

i made up a 2.2ohm coil, vaping it at 4.5v.. seems improved. flavour is decent enough, vapour too.. its still quite cool, maybe that's just the way the RDA is meant to be

oh wait, do you mean take the top off the RDA and put the leads on the two screws inside there?

--edit

4.5v on the 2.2ohm coil registered at 4.57V
    6v on the coil registered 4.8v

hrm, lavatube should be able to push a 2ohm coil up to 5v so a 2.2ohm coil should go a bit higher

I just checked the resistance using those two posts inside the RDA and its comoing out at 2.3ohms minus the .3 resistance of the leads so its a 2ohm coil
    makes a bit more sense

--edit
    im actually really enjoying this coil. apart from the cool vape it's bang on what I want
    I took your advice derra and only used two strands of the wick together instead of the whole thing

I took your advice derra and only used two strands of the wick together instead of the whole thing

Well it's in the video to do it that way with that wick you have.

Back to this pic, have the coil close.
    I even brought them a little closer in places after that pic.
    There is a wider gap between the posts on the RDA but still have tiny gaps between each other.
    When the juice is running out on the RDA, don't dry burn it but bring them closer together with a needle or something.
    Are you still in the middle of the wick or at one end ?
    Sounds like your getting there, even mess around with air hole position. Makes all the diffeence where that is.
    I still suspect better wick would improve it.

30w2kxj.jpg

coil is at the end of the wick
    then turns are fairly spaced out currently because i wanted to make a lower ohm coil, and with the wire I have that didn't amount to very much wire. when I get that ebay stuff I'll be able to do it properly like you say

if it was easier to take the damn case off i'd happily mess around with the air hole pisition, but my god.. that is a ****ing struggle and a half to get loose

coil is at the end of the wick
    then turns are fairly spaced out currently because i wanted to make a lower ohm coil
    , and with the wire I have that didn't amount to very much wire. when I get that ebay stuff I'll be able to do it properly like you say

if it was easier to take the damn case off i'd happily mess around with the air hole pisition, but my god.. that is a ****ing struggle and a half to get loose

Yeah it's a fu*ker to get that case off, wear goggles if juice is in it :D

Maybe they are evenly spaced out, but you can still push them closer together though. (I'm just assuming there is big gaps between each one)
    Really close but not touching each other.
    Will take a week or more to get that wire off him, ordered some today.

well im happy enough with this coil now so I will probably leave it in the RDA like this for a while, wont change it until performance starts to degrade so hopefully I can get a week out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

The more I read all the fun ye peeps are having with this the more I am wanting to get one :)

it's a 3or 4 week wait for the RDA so best get your name in as soon as you decide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

it's a 3or 4 week wait for the RDA so best get your name in as soon as you decide :)

Been reading clockworks threads over in ukvapors as well but will resist the temptation for another while. It does sound like the way to go though.

newmark wrote: »
    Been reading clockworks threads over in ukvapors as well but will resist the temptation for another while. It does sound like the way to go though.

It's the only way to go :)

But there is plenty of rebuildables to look at.

There are more advanced to consider at a later stage, starting off with the RDA or Bulli a2 would be good.

The a2 being my personal preference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Loving this thread! Better than Television!

The RTA's and RDA's look like they're pretty involved to get right.

What's the Mark T like? Thats rebuildable too isn't it? Would that work on an eGo? Looks like a dummy like me could be able to rebuild it.

Advertisement