Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you personally know anyone who.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Japan is an Eastern Asiatic economic superpower with no natural resources of its own and with business and social cultures completely alien to western Europe.
    "Ireland is different"

It's like you're still living in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I also find it amusing the way people drag up the old chestnut of Japan when trying to make the graph support the argument. Japan is an Eastern Asiatic economic superpower with no natural resources of its own and with business and social cultures completely alien to western Europe.
    Right...not sure of the relevance though. Does gravity work differently in Japan? How about electromagnetism? The same, you say? So what makes you think fundamental economics works differently there?
    I always prefer to use our nearest neighbour as an indicator of what will happen here in ten years' time. It's uncanny how our own economic history mirrors what has happened in the UK by a ten year lag.
    You can prefer all you like. I think I'd like to use Norway as an indicator - everything is great there.

But unfortunately comparing a 12.5% 'crash' over 6 years in the UK (2% per year, more or less) with our 45-50% crash over 3 years (and counting, both figures) is a bit like comparing Gulf War 1 with World War 2. They are not comparable in any intelligent sense.

Advertisement