Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows preparing to leave us

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Saw a lonely looking Swallow today near Eadestown, just over the border in Kildare:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Saw a lonely looking Swallow today near Eadestown, just over the border in Kildare:)
    I wonder will he make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

slowburner wrote: »
    I wonder will he make it.

He needs to get to the coast ASAP as there are some sub-zero nights on the way this week in these parts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

One thing that struck me when I saw them (Swallows) in Africa was how cold it got at night. Certainly not as cold as here but they're not afraid of a bit of the cold stuff. Sub Zero would probably be pushing it.

EDIT having said that, it does heat up rather nicely unlike here for the next forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

I have swallows nesting in my roof and have been hosting them for a few years, I'd like not to host them again...I presume now is a safe time to check if the nests are empty?

• Advertisement

As safe as it can be I'd say (personal safety aside ;) ).

They'll rebuild though if you remove the existing nests. Some chicken wire might or similar stop them rebuilding if thats what you want.

If they've taken a fancy to your house then you might need a raptor call device or replica raptor.

.... or you could shoooo them away :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

E39MSport wrote: »
    One thing that struck me when I saw them (Swallows) in Africa was how cold it got at night. Certainly not as cold as here but they're not afraid of a bit of the cold stuff. Sub Zero would probably be pushing it.
    Hopefully, any stragglers will make it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

yobr wrote: »
    I have swallows nesting in my roof and have been hosting them for a few years, I'd like not to host them again...I presume now is a safe time to check if the nests are empty?

I know of someone who put up a small mirror where the nest was. It worked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

I can't believe I saw a Swallow today, I was passing Brooks builder providers near Balbriggan and one Swallow flew across the front of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

Swallows have been seen in November in Ireland and I think i'm right in saying that there may have been a report of one in December.

The lack of flying insects at the moment would be the biggest issue for swallows so he or she would need to make a move South very soon!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

stevensi wrote: »
    Swallows have been seen in November in Ireland and I think i'm right in saying that there may have been a report of one in December.

The lack of flying insects at the moment would be the biggest issue for swallows so he or she would need to make a move South very soon!

I may be wrong but wasn't there reports a couple of years ago of swallows not leaving because of mild winters? Obviously after the last two winters I'd imagine its not happening anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I may be wrong but wasn't there reports a couple of years ago of swallows not leaving because of mild winters? Obviously after the last two winters I'd imagine its not happening anymore.

One overwintered in SW England a couple of years back - there's a thread about it somewhere on Boards but I can't find it right now. I saw two swallows heading south in Enniscorthy today. :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

One overwintered in SW England a couple of years back - there's a thread about it somewhere on Boards but I can't find it right now. I saw two swallows heading south in Enniscorthy today. :)

I've not seen any for a few weeks now, miss them already :(

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Mind you, this winter's been fairly mild.

slowburner wrote: »
    Mind you, this winter's been fairly mild.

It's only October :D

Technically still Autumn, true enough. But I can't help feeling it is winter once the swallows go and I'm kind of hopeful that it stays mild enough for the young birds mentioned above. I had ice on the windscreen the day before yesterday.

Damn mice are attacking every crevice though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's not "technically" Autumn right now, it is Autumn. We often get a touch of frost in October.
    It's not uncommon to have Swallows until the end of October. Late fledged birds usually fair out fine, as they feed all the way back South; unlike the rush North in Spring.

Why all the contradictions? :D
    Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter are human constructs of time and have no value or meaning to creatures in the natural world. The natural world doesn't move according to human strictures of time
    Birds don't migrate because Jean Byrne tells them it is Autumn and time to go.
    If the weather erroneously predicted for October had occurred (heavy snow) you couldn't describe that as Autumnal. And while yes, it would be technically Autumn, it would be meaningless.
    The way I see it, is if the weather and length of day is Autumnal - it is Autumn. If the length of day and the weather is wintry - then it is Winter :pac::pac::pac:

And this from the legendary M.T.Cranium......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056419308
    Overview for winter 2011-12

From a starting point in mid-October, we consider the five month period November to March, with "climatological winter" defined as being the months of December, January and February, whereas "meteorological winter" can, as we saw last year, fall in any of the five months in the Irish climate.
    So there you have it - technical winter and meteorological winter. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Back on topic.....

Saw 2 Swallows today :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Mothman wrote: »
    Back on topic.....

I haven't seen a swallow here in weeks now, wicklow not called the garden of Ireland for nothing, ye have everything up there:rolleyes:

artieanna wrote: »
    I haven't seen a swallow here in weeks now, wicklow not called the garden of Ireland for nothing, ye have everything up there:rolleyes:
    But you don't have Dublin on your doorstep :pac:
    Grass is greener and all that. :)

I'm probably in good location to see passing swallows because the flat coastal plain here is only 2km wide. Further inland and one is heading into hills. I would think the coastal plain woulds be a natural route to follow

But you don't have Dublin on your doorstep :pac:
    Grass is greener and all that. :)

I'm probably in good location to see passing swallows because the flat coastal plain here is only 2km wide. Further inland and one is heading into hills. I would think the coastal plain woulds be a natural route to follow
    Or river valleys.
    They certainly seem to follow the path of the Avonmore/Avoca rivers and large flocks followed a tributary here which flows from west to east. These flocks then joined with the even bigger flocks flying south on the Avoca catchment.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Back on topic.....

Okay, next time someone sees a swallow in Ireland,
    at the end of october,I want....
    a picture, with that days newspaper in the shot !!
    5814-Business-Man-Reading-A-Newspaper-On-A-Bench-Being-Bothered-By-Pigeons-Clipart-Illustration.jpg

Sorry, its just the cynic coming out in me !:pac:

More swallows during the week on Wednesday, 3 flying north!, Thursday (6) and Friday 28th, at least 10, but could have been double that. Was busy and couldn't give it my full attention

no photos and I don't get papers :)

EDIT, just realised that the above obs were all a day earlier than stated.

... as Mr Wiggle says, pics or gtfo ;)

I saw about ten flying south last Thursday too. Similarly to Mothman, I couldn't give them my full attention.

2 November swallows earlier this morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement