Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows preparing to leave us

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Swallows still passing by, heading due south at the rate of approx 50 per minute.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Only if they were heading South, and out to sea, in a strong wind. This they don't do. This is why they gather in large numbers and hang around areas - waiting on the correct conditions. 30Km per hour winds are no problem to them either.

I predict Swallows leaving to sea, from Britain & Ireland, in large numbers early on Saturday 1st October. Air mass is forecast as suitable and flocks are gathering.
    Looks like they're not all at the seaboard yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

slowburner wrote: »
    What is the difference?

Migration is the regular seasonal journey between habitats, undertaken by many species of birds.

Birds, in a flock, moving about the countryside in search for food is quite different.

Migration is the regular seasonal journey between habitats, undertaken by many species of birds.

Birds, in a flock, moving about the countryside in search for food is quite different.
    I understand. It is just that those westward bound birds were very much on a determined route - markedly different behaviour to the regular feeding flights.
    If they were going from one habitat to another but simply taking a different route - then that's a migration. Perhaps it was a response to wind direction.

If Swallows were flying West from your location then they most certainly were not migrating. (Why always the contradiction?)

• Advertisement

If Swallows were flying West from your location then they most certainly were not migrating. (Why always the contradiction?)
    :confused: Contradiction? Crossed wires here somewhere.
    From my observations, they weren't flying from here, they were flying past here.

From my observations, they weren't flying from here, they were flying past here.

Yes: and you said they were flying WEST. This was not migration, just birds on one side of you flying to somewhere the other side of you. Birds do it all the time. When the 15,000+ Starlings fly South to North over my house every evening next month they will be traveling between a feeding area and a roost - they will not be migrating Northward, any more than that flock of Swallows was migrating while flying West.

My head is starting to hurt over this! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Well, Oct 1 is certainly the latest that I have seen them about at home (not yet migrating). Still in healthy numbers. In UK today - weather is lovely :D

Yes: and you said they were flying WEST. This was not migration, just birds on one side of you flying to somewhere the other side of you. Birds do it all the time. When the 15,000+ Starlings fly South to North over my house every evening next month they will be traveling between a feeding area and a roost - they will not be migrating Northward, any more than that flock of Swallows was migrating while flying West.

My head is starting to hurt over this! :P
    No worries.

Still a few feeding here today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

So, does anyone know of any way to track the migration of Irish/UK swallows?

Any good websites which deal with the migration of swallows?

I read somewhere that birds are photo/light sensitive.... Leading to birds breeding in Spring.... Does the darker evenings spark the migration as temperatures r still quite mild for Autumn?!

Thank u!

Good numbers of birds passed by here yesterday. A constant steady stream of about one every ten seconds, all day.
    This is something which perplexes me. The standard route is due south and some of the largest movements have been flights straight into strong southerlies. Yesterday's migration route was altered to fly straight into the westerlies - there were no birds flying south. Call it a flock moving or whatever - I am certain that these were migrating birds. They must face into the wind to get some sort of lift. I noticed several that appeared to be almost gliding. They were so close I could have caught them with a butterfly net.

The Peregrines noticed the diversion too but the swallows were too hard a target, hugging the trees and jinking all the way, more to avoid the wind than the Peregrine.
    I wonder if there were any casualties noted. They were flitting about so low amongst the roadside hedgerows that they must have risked being hit by cars etc.
    No sign of any today, so far.

Good post :)

Still here feeding around the house !!!!!! Can't believe it.

E39MSport wrote: »
    Still here feeding around the house !!!!!! Can't believe it.

Yes, while there has been a considerable migration in the past week, there are, and will be, a good few birds still around. People seem to rush into calling migrations once we hit September, as they confuse post-breeding flock movement with migration. The migration is the end of September into mid October.

The Peregrines noticed the diversion too but the swallows were too hard a target, ...more to avoid the wind than the Peregrine.
    I wonder if there were any casualties noted.

Peregrines are one of the major predators for Swallows. The Swallows will certainly take evasive action to avoid a Peregrine.

Yes, while there has been a considerable migration in the past week, there are, and will be, a good few birds still around. People seem to rush into calling migrations once we hit September, as they confuse post-breeding flock movement with migration. The migration is the end of September into mid October.

Very thoughtful of them to ease me into my annual grieving. ;) Very happy to see them still here.

You have to admire the plucky little swallows, the terriers of the sky - yesterday they 'buzzed' a hovering Peregrine, he (or she) didn't hang around for long and went back to patrolling the more usual pigeon flight path. More calories as reward for the effort expended I expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Do the swallows go as far north as Iceland to breed each spring? The reason I ask is that is that I saw a map in a bird book that I got a few days back that suggested they did but there is a massive expanse of sea between Iceland and Scotland/Ireland that they would have to cross that I wouldnt have thought would be possible to cover. Also when our swallows leave the southern coast of Ireland, do they fly directly over the sea until they reach Northern France or do they fly via the South West edge of England so they encounter land again?

I'm afraid your book is wrong. Swallows have become lost and appeared in I Iceland from time to time, but they are reported in their rare bird news. They are not an Icelandic breeding species.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I'm afraid your book is wrong. Swallows have become lost and appeared in I Iceland from time to time, but they are reported in their rare bird news. They are not an Icelandic breeding species.

Thanks for the reply Martin Easy Chest. The books map mentioned summer migrants rather than specifically stating Swallows but there was a photo of a Swallow on the same page which made me ask the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Saw a group of Swallows near me during the week.

Couldnt believe they were still here in October. I reckon they have since headed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I saw swallows today.

Mark
    N Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

saw swallows in two separate locations today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

There's still a few around the Swords area today.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I haven't seen swallows around this area for about three weeks, thought I would have got a chance to get a group of them in a pic on the wires, they just seemed to vanish really quick from here this year. :(

Just saw one at home :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

saw a flock of about 20 on wednesday, i think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Just back from cycle...
    Along the seafront between Sutton & Kilbarrack there were groups of Brent Geese.
    They must be arrivibg from Iceland ... So as the swallows depart... Our Winter visitors arrive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A flock of about 100 swallows past over this evening

Advertisement