Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows preparing to leave us

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Very large flocks in the North East on Sunday. Thought they included birds from further North about the head South but both ringed birds examined were from only 8 miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I was amazed to read that the swallows can cover up to 200 miles a day I would love to know if this is true as I think this would be a fantastic feat

Migration Northwards is much quicker than the return jouney South. Going South can be quite leisurely with plenty of feeding along the way. Going North is a race to get the best breeding sites and mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Mallow swallows gone since yesterday, good luck to them.
    Always makes me sad this time of year.:(

Same here - only a few around these parts now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I wish I could be like Thumbelina and fly south on a swallow's back, to warmer climes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Still a good few young ones with adults about the area here. Don't recall seeing them locally this late over the past 6 seasons I've been here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Notable absence of swallows out on my walk this morning. All gone .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

We were enjoying the swallows flying around the back garden this morning at breakfast time. My 6yr old was fascinated by the numbers gathering on the overhead lines in the fields. (Limerick)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

I haven't seen any swallows in my area lately. The swallows in my shed had a second clutch, about three chicks. Whenever I go into the shen in the morning, the three chicks are there.

I don't be around that much to see if there are other adults around, I really hope their parents are still around. Could these chicks be too young to make the flight? Would it be unusual for parents to leave these chicks behind?:(

Subsequen to my early post yesterday there were flocks of up to about 70 birds about the adjoining fields yesterday afternoon. Delighted. Mostly young birds so the late bloomers this year are doing well it would appear.

• Advertisement

effluent wrote: »
    I haven't seen any swallows in my area lately. The swallows in my shed had a second clutch, about three chicks. Whenever I go into the shen in the morning, the three chicks are there.

I don't be around that much to see if there are other adults around, I really hope their parents are still around. Could these chicks be too young to make the flight? Would it be unusual for parents to leave these chicks behind?:(

Unfledged Chicks would be dead in 2 days if not being fed. It would be unusual for parents to leave a nest like this. Once they fledge they will make the flight South as they will feed and be fed as they go. It is not uncommon for clutches to fledge late September.

I had an abandoned nest with very lively chicks 2 years ago at the end of the season when the weather turned.

They stopped chirping into the second day.

Broke my heart :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Very large flocks in the North East on Sunday. Thought they included birds from further North about the head South but both ringed birds examined were from only 8 miles away.
    Martin Easy Chest. I'm really curious about how nets are placed to recapture ringed birds. Any swallows that have been migrating past where I am seem to be well above the trees; although you do get the odd one flitting about between the trees on a windy day or if there's a hatch of insects. Of course I will understand if you would prefer not to post such details - in a former professional incarnation I used to come across mist nets in hedgerows from time to time.

If it's of any interest to anyone, I seem to be located on the junction of an important migratory route with birds from the west joining birds from the north. I have no way of counting but I would estimate that several thousand birds have passed by. There are still a few stragglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Mine were gone from last weekend. They had arrived on Good Friday this year. The parents had continued to nest in the outhouse after the last batch of chicks fledged about 3 weeks ago. Had been checking daily to see when they would leave and they weren't there on Sunday night.

Even out walking the dogs last week through untilled fields there were many swooping about getting fed, but on Tuesday (this week) through the same fields there wasn't one to be seen.

Hopefully they'll make a safe migration and return next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I was sure they were gone too but was out on my walk yesterday and
    seen two swallows flying one after another enjoying the sun. I live between two woods so we would always have a huge amount of swallows.
    Felt like spring again when you see the first swallow of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

It is wayyy too quiet here this morning:(:(.

Is there any website that tracks their journeys so we can see where they are?
    Roll on spring...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

I would be interested in following them too!
    They are fantastic, beautiful birds:
    They are a true sign of the arrival of Spring & Autumn.
    I could sit with a cup of tea wTching them for ages.

I think Brent Geese were satellite tracked on their journey here:would be cool to track the swallows.

Some year in the future I might follow their trip south to South Africa..... I would love some Winter sun!

Arequipa.

Theres a recent book called 'A Single Swallow' following a migration from SA to Wales. Bit waffly but I liked it.

Over 40,000 Swallows in a flock in Dorset this week! Reported to be moving about the area but not heading to sea yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Has anyone else noticed the paradox of swallows starting their migrations in strong southerly winds?

• Advertisement

Only if they were heading South, and out to sea, in a strong wind. This they don't do. This is why they gather in large numbers and hang around areas - waiting on the correct conditions. 30Km per hour winds are no problem to them either.

I predict Swallows leaving to sea, from Britain & Ireland, in large numbers early on Saturday 1st October. Air mass is forecast as suitable and flocks are gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Over 40,000 Swallows in a flock in Dorset this week! Reported to be moving about the area but not heading to sea yet.

poor oul flies dont stand a chance!

Plagued with midges last night :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

40,000:eek::eek:

Any pics of them I wonder.

now that would be a way to wake up in the morning with 40000 of them:p

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭siledee

Last saw swallows on 25th and they were still feeding fledglings.

House martins seem to have gone as well. Ive not seen them in over a week.

I counted about 130 a minute passing by here yesterday for about an hour. Then nothing for about an hour. Then about 40 a minute for about half an hour. Could have been going on a lot longer than the period i was observing.

Another migration today, but this time heading west. All the other migrations I have noted have been heading southward. First time in ten years that I've seen this.

Heading west is just a flock on the move - not a Migration.

Heading west is just a flock on the move - not a Migration.
    What is the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Good morning! Just back from Dollymount Beach... Mild & misty day.... Spotted 2 Martins heading South East!

Advertisement