Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

They're slowly making their way back to the way that Community used to be, but its true - the only excellent references were those to past episodes. I hope that's not the way they're going, it's like saying, "hey! Remember that time when we were funny?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Much better than the first one. Annie's entrance was class.
    I sort of wish I wasn't aware of all the stuff that had happened behind the scenes - instead of just watching it, I found myself over-analysing everything trying to decide if it lives up to previous seasons. I'm turning into Britta.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Although as it was written by Megan Ganz I'm not surprised it was great. Hopefully more like this from now on...
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Megan Ganz has left the team of Community writer's for Modern Family though..

.. she did leave after the 4th series was finished being written though, so we'll hopefully get a few more from her.

EDIT: IMDb reports she wrote last week's abomination too though!

EDIT 2: And that's the last from her.. she only wrote two episodes (the opener and this week's episode) this season:
    I hope you are able to do commentary on a few episodes this time.
    meganganz wrote:
    I just did! On my two episodes this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Megan wrote the Valloween episode and the season 4 finale. Andy Bobrow wrote last weeks episode.

phasers wrote: »
    Megan wrote the Valloween episode and the season 4 finale. Andy Bobrow wrote last weeks episode.
    Sorry.. misread IMDb.. my mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I certainly didn't cry at the end when it showed Jeff's boxing gloves were his dad's and he rang him... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Ratings dropped to a 1.1 this week.. probably because of valentines day but also because of last weeks episode. The 1.1 could change to a 1.2 once dvr stuff is factored in. Its still one of NBC's highest scoring shows which is good for us, but bad for them :P

Parks and Rec got 1.5 while the Office got 2.0.

:pac:
    Andy Bobrow ‏@abobrow
    I'm afraid I killed Community.

Andy Bobrow ‏@abobrow
    I know it's not all about me, but 43% of the people who watched my episode decided not to watch another one.

https://twitter.com/abobrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Ratings dropped to a 1.1 this week.. probably because of valentines day but also because of last weeks episode. The 1.1 could change to a 1.2 once dvr stuff is factored in. Its still one of NBC's highest scoring shows which is good for us, but bad for them :P

Parks and Rec got 1.5 while the Office got 2.0.

:eek: ....I cant say much due to mod ban warnings, but......:eek:

:eek: ....I cant say much due to mod ban warnings, but......:eek:
    As bad as they are, they're still better than the majority of the NBC lineup!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

phasers wrote: »
    As bad as they are, they're still better than the majority of the NBC lineup!

Its doing better then Smash!!.......:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Much better: I enjoyed that a lot more than last weeks episode, felt a bit like the show we love at its peak.

Though given how little Pearce has featured in the first two episodes, I can't help but wonder if they're already moving him to the sidelines, so his departure won't seem so arbitrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Oh, wow. I don't know. I didn't laugh, and for a Community Hallowe'en episode, the 'scares' were missing.

It seems like the characters are just being placed in arbitrary situations at the moment without an internal logic quite working out, without them really being a 'part' of the events around them. The interaction between Winger and Britta was forced and not very clever. Everything seems slightly rushed. 'Classic' Community always seemed to follow an internal logic and ran at a slower pace. The characters now seem less developed to me - yet, ironically, seem to be engaging in more exposition and reference to earlier episodes than ever. And the Winger moment at the end... man, that just seemed like it was thrown up on the screen in a very cynical way.

Maybe it's just me, but doing the 'Scooby-doo' episode that (as was pointed out BlitzKrieg) was lampooned in earlier seasons seems to be missing the point. I remember it being mentioned either by the writers (or Harmon) before that it was almost as important what they didn't put in and show on screen as what they did and I think this is being borne out... with a show like Community, sometimes less-is-more. It can't all be fanservice.

Also, the whole group dynamic has changed - they're functioning very much like a certain other show now. I thought it was my imagination last week, but Annie kept on reminding me of 'Alex Kerkovich' in 'Happy Endings' - especially when they went to pull the prank in the Dean's office. Her first lines this episode - in fact, 90% of what she does in the episode, I could just imagine being performed by Elisha Cuthbert. Still, I'm holding out hope that's just the crazy in me reading into things and the show will actually hit its stride... (though I keep on flashing back to the most recent episodes of 'Happy Endings' where Alex is being revealed as being a bit smarter than she lets on - while still being a ditz and missing the point most of the time).

I dunno - the set dressing was appropriate, I suppose.... and Troy's character has started to hit his mark, so it is improving.

In my opinion, it was a passable episode, but far from 'good'.

Afraid I didn't really enjoy that episode much either...

does the dialogue seem really fast paced to anyone else? It felt like I was watching The Gilmore Girls during Jeff and Britta's interaction in particular. I feel like the jokes used to have more time to land and the conversation used to be more natural - It all feels somewhat manic so far.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I enjoyed it - improvement on the last week. There may be criticisms to levy at it but thankfully they're not bothering me all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

better than episode 1, but this show needs chang back asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Much better. I'd go so far as to say I enjoyed watching it. Yeah it wasn't brilliant but it was much more like what it should be. Troy's "unsatisfied with what" line cracked me up.

Could do better but hopefully Community isn't dead just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

"secret dogs!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

"secret dogs!!"
    Best line IMO.

This week was a vast improvement, but still not up to par IMO. I'm not surprised at the ratings falloff (called it in fact) but I think if the quality improves, it can survive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Best line IMO.

This week was a vast improvement, but still not up to par IMO. I'm not surprised at the ratings falloff (called it in fact) but I think if the quality improves, it can survive.
    I've never understood how the number of people who watch an episode relates to how good it is. If anything it might indicate how good the previous episode was but even that is stretching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It was funnier than episode 1..
    ..but still didn't feel right

the pacing is all off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

wprathead wrote: »
    It was funnier than episode 1..
    ..but still didn't feel right

the pacing is all off
    What channel is it on lately??

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Certainly a better episode than the first, but still not that great. Not moments that I remember laughing. The have made the Dean character seriously annoying....I dont think they have managed to embrace the eccentricities of the characters properly, hopefully they can sort that out.

I've never understood how the number of people who watch an episode relates to how good it is. If anything it might indicate how good the previous episode was but even that is stretching it.
    I never made that correlation actually. I said it was an OK episode and the drop off in ratings was to be expected, but it could survive. That being said, of course there can be a correlation: if a show is off air for ages and hyped up to return and gets big viewer numbers on the season premiere and that episode is amazing, they can carry more viewers into the next episode. Where, as was the case with Community two weeks ago, they get bigger than average viewer numbers and the episode is bad; a sharp drop can be expected and you won't see viewer carryover. Ratings/viewers aren't irrelevant - if they were then networks wouldn't look at them.

Dtp79 wrote: »
    What channel is it on lately??
    Still on NBC

Still on NBC
    Sorry I mean what channel on sky

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Sorry I mean what channel on sky
    It isn't being shown here yet, no channel is showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Season 3 will be on Sony Entertainment Television in May.

Season 4 probably the same time next year.

• Advertisement

Sound thanks

Advertisement