Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Wasn't impressed tbh. Someone posted on this thread about how it's Changed and that was the funniest thing about the episode.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

It was grand. I still laughed at most things, although that really shouldn't be used as an indicator of humour :P Too much stuff was packed into the episode; it could easily have done without the Troy/Britta and Shirley/Annie side stories (although I did find the Troy/Britta stuff funny, mainly due to the fact that they're both great characters and would make the stupidest thing funny). The Dean was, as usual, fecking awesome. And I really liked Abed TV :o Definitely not as bad as some episodes that have gone before it.

Looking forward to the Valloween episode!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

TheStook wrote: »
    I think somebody mentioned it here or maybe it was another forum but-

You probably didn't smirk because you had no intention of smirking before you even watched the episode. Maybe you genuinely didn't find it funny and that's fair enough but I've a feeling the majority of critics here went into that episode with a negative mindset straight away

Just my twopence
    You probably laughed a lot because you had every intention of laughing before you even watched the episode. Maybe you genuinely found it funny and that's fair enough but I've a feeling the majority of supporters here went into that episode with an overly positive mindset straight away

I see your twopence, and raise you twopence.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 rossy1044

Watched it twice and found it a bit better the second time but still very poor thb. Went back and watched the first episode of season 3 which a lot of people said was quite poor but it was still far better than the new episode. It will be interesting to see if the scenes with Troy and Britta improve as that scene was fairly cringey!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Basq wrote: »

Actually that was the post that got me to try out Happy Endings, which is the best comedy other than Community at the moment, so thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

My review:

3sy78u.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Seren_ wrote: »
    It was grand. I still laughed at most things, although that really shouldn't be used as an indicator of humour :P Too much stuff was packed into the episode; it could easily have done without the Troy/Britta and Shirley/Annie side stories (although I did find the Troy/Britta stuff funny, mainly due to the fact that they're both great characters and would make the stupidest thing funny). The Dean was, as usual, fecking awesome. And I really liked Abed TV :o Definitely not as bad as some episodes that have gone before it.

Looking forward to the Valloween episode!!!
    Odd, I found the Troy/Britta storyline awful and the Shirley/Annie one more amusing. The stapler gag was probably one of the stronger ones in the episode when it played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The show has had it's fair share of it's dodgy episodes throughout all seasons... I honestly think this was just one of the bad ones... I've seen worse on this show...
    I'm still quite positive that there will be some great episodes this season...

I'm also fairly certain at this point that Community will be returning for a 5th season. Parks & Recreation and Community (okay so we've only had one episode this season, but still) are the only NBC sitcoms that are performing remotely well in the ratings... They're also the two longest running sitcoms on the network with The Office and 30 Rock ending this season...
    Guys With Kids, 1600 Penn, The New Normal and Go On are the new kids on the block, but the ratings are woeful. NBC may decided to renew Go On merely to save face, but the rest are surely done for.
    Whitney is only in it's second season, and while performing slightly better than the newbs, still not as high-rated as Parks or Community, and not really close enough to syndication for NBC to be truly interested in keeping it. NBC may decide to keep it if they intend to keep 4 hours of comedy next year, but if they intend to cut back on the comedy hours it probably won't fit in.
    Even though the execs get a lot of stick for making poor decisions, I doubt any of them are stupid enough to cancel their two highest rated and longest running sitcoms, even if those ratings are still quite poor.
    At this rate, Community will get it's six seasons... Not so sure about the movie...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

At this rate, Community will get it's six seasons... Not so sure about the movie...

Dan Harmon said at Communicon during the weekend that he would like to break into full feature films in the next 2-3 years so puts it in a good time spot for a Community movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Am I the only one still singing the Greendale Babies theme tune?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

S.M.B. wrote: »
    You probably laughed a lot because you had every intention of laughing before you even watched the episode. Maybe you genuinely found it funny and that's fair enough but I've a feeling the majority of supporters here went into that episode with an overly positive mindset straight away

Well played my good sir, you've played me a fool. *Lowers head in shame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Basq wrote: »
    I was genuinely chuffed at the choice of showrunners...

Put simply - I didn't smirk because I didn't find it funny..

Okay that's fair enough..Regardless of this, you just introduced me to Happy Endings, just watched the first episode and I have a feeling I'm gonna love this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

S.M.B. wrote: »

If they gave out awards for mind games, the statue would be S.M.B. doing it to a brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Only got around to watching it last night and was pretty disappointed. Felt like they were trying waaaaaay too hard to over-Community themselves, especially the AbedTV thing. Way too many 'Dean' word plays also, we get it, he puts Dean into other words, it's not funny if you do it every time he talks.

But then there were some brilliant bits like the Tango and Annie looking for his keys and picknig the lower drawer because the Dean would be wearing heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Am I the only one still singing the Greendale Babies theme tune?
    Oh god no. That was one of the more horrific bits of the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Oh god no. That was one of the more horrific bits of the episode.

Yeah it wasn't great. As an idea, it's not bad (like I said, descending further into his mind) but it wasn't funny. It's just the theme tune has been rattling around in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It got me to go "Heh" a couple of times, but that was it. Worst episode so far. Hopefully it gets better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It got me to go "Heh" a couple of times, but that was it. Worst episode so far. Hopefully it gets better.

What, of season 4? Wouldn't be hard :p

To be fair, and thinking back on it, it wasn't as bad as some of season 3, and definitely not as poor as early season 1. The first episode's worst crime was a bloated script really, and even the writers have acknowledged this was a big fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

pixelburp wrote: »
    What, of season 4? Wouldn't be hard :p

To be fair, and thinking back on it, it wasn't as bad as some of season 3, and definitely not as poor as early season 1. The first episode's worst crime was a bloated script really, and even the writers have acknowledged this was a big fault.
    From memory, I think anything in season 1 was better than it. I'm sure there were things in season 1 on a per episode basis that got a good laugh out of me. Though, I guess it has been a while, so maybe there is an element of rose tinted glasses.

Early season 1 was pretty bad... It gave just enough to have you stick with it, but it didn't start paying off until about The Christmas Episode or the one with Jack Black in it... That's when it started to gather a cult following...
    And even after that there's been some very hit & miss moments... The season 4 opener is one of these, but not necessarily an indication of imminent doom...

• Advertisement

tbh 4x01 was my least favourite ever. even the earliest episodes of season 1 raised a few laughs from me, this was almost painful to watch.

Oh well, onwards and upwards eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Cupcakes.

Yes, Kat Dennings has nice ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

someone mention Kat Dennings?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the point of taking Chang's gag of using his own name as a noun/verb and giving it to the Dean? Was there an episode where they explained that or is it just really lazy? It's **** in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Now that was a great episode, I wasn't one of the people who hated last weeks episode, but in comparison this episode was miles better, some really great lines in it, especially by Troy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Towards the end of the episode Pierce says "Ghosts can't go through doors, they're not fire". Is it just my memory playing tricks on me or did Chang say in a previous episode "Fire can't go through doors, it's not a ghost".

Edit: Just looked it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ea2gpg0Rek

Great line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Towards the end of the episode Pierce says "Ghosts can't go through doors, they're not fire". Is it just my memory playing tricks on me or did Chang say in a previous episode "Fire can't go through doors, it's not a ghost".

He did yeah, during the elaborate heist episode.

That was more like it! Felt very much like the same old Community to me... Although as it was written by Megan Ganz I'm not surprised it was great. Hopefully more like this from now on...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I'm only 8 minutes in (and I see some positive posts above) but I am getting very worried that this episode is set up to be what the show made fun of in season 2 with the western ghost town...

I'll finish it, but really needed to say that.

Ok finished it.

Yeah it's an improvement on last week, mostly cause it kept things simple. But I still find it a bit annoying that they did an episode making fun of them doing a scooby doo parody and now they are doing a scooby doo parody.

Aside from that, I liked there were a few continuity nods (the above mentioned fire doors comment), more so Pearse's special playroom (which was mentioned once back in season 2 I believe) which I kind of feel is what makes community's humour, that they throw out some ludicrous notion and develop it along as it jumps from character to character. I think if anything this episode did, it pinpointed what was missing last episode cause they separated the characters into their own stories, none of them really got to give input the running jokes of the episode. It was a bit better here. I liked the costumes for troy and abed. Actually relooking at it the strongest part of this episode is Troy, from his *things* line in the opening to all the playroom conversations, I think they were the funniest bits.

What I didnt like, i really feel that Chevy Chase is just phoning it in, his delivery was awful in a lot of the scenes, it lacked the sort of manic notion that I normally expect from Pearse and worse it outright feels like he fumbled on the delivery of a lot of his jokes. And if he's phoning it in by episode 2, I dread every upcoming episode with him as I feel he is going to pull down every scene he's in. Aside from that there was stuff I just didnt click with, I thought the britta jeff psychology scenes felt not as smartly done as they were done in earlier seasons, particularly this one

overall it's still not up to what I'd expect from community but its improving. Sadly unlike last episode where it felt like they were trying something different and it just felt wrong, here it felt in part that they were trying to do a *community* episode and didnt get it right. It being the halloween episode I am leaning to giving it still a small pass, but I'm worried.

I hate to say it, but we need to see how the new team handle the community equivalent to a bottle episode to see if they can catch the magic of the series.

• Advertisement

Troy and Britta are icky together.

Why do they keep splitting up the group!? I want study room action damn it. The episode was definitely an improvement but I only actually laughed at the references to older episodes. "LeVar Burton was a firm no" and "Ghosts can't go through doors" were the best lines imo.

Advertisement