Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

DubDJ wrote: »
    Haven't heard of this one before. Sounds good though they always have the new metals and parts in their devices. I've personally never had an issue with the antenna and dropped calls. Neither has anyone I know witch the iPhone 4. I personally think it's overly exaggerated.
    The problem I referenced wasn't with the iPhone 4, it was with the original iPhone that had an aluminum back casing. There have been rumors of the iPhone 5 having a metallic back case, but nothing has been mentioned about the LiquidMetal, that part is just my own query (query, not a misspelled theory :)). They've had the license for quite a while now and the only thing they use it with is the sim tray opener, so if they do go back to a metallic back case, it would make sense that it is LiquidMetal (but I'd have said the same about the iPad back case, and I'd have been wrong...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭The IRgAy

Apple fanboy membership dosen't come cheap! -- they seem to have a new iphone out every year! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What? The iPhone 4 is still the best looking phone you can buy and it's been out for 15 months at this stage. Name one phone that is nicer? Go on I dare ya, I double dare ya.
    pfft, its onlt 14 months old, it will look dated once it reaches 15 months and the iPhone 5 is out ;)
    The IRgAy wrote: »
    Apple fanboy membership dosen't come cheap! -- they seem to have a new iphone out every year! :eek:

They don't "seem" to have a new one, that's exactly what they have done.

The first was released June 2007, and every Junr or July a new model has come out. The iPhone 4 has now been the "latest" model for the longet period yet. I was surprised at this as I still think of it as a new design, but it is probablt down to the fact that Gen 1, 2 and 3 were much more similar looking.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yeah, unlike a new HTC, Blackberry, Nokia, Samsung etc every 2 weeks......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Another member of the Fandroid club :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

came very cheap for me, i got my iphone 3gs for free on vodafone launch week and i won an apple tv 2

Problem.png
    problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

I'm still on a 3g from close to release date (well, my second 3g since then) so I think I deserve an upgrade...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mellor wrote: »
    pfft, its onlt 14 months old, it will look dated once it reaches 15 months and the iPhone 5 is out ;)
    i counted the month that was june as it was announced then but you have a valid point ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭The IRgAy

DubDJ wrote: »
    Another member of the Fandroid club :D

Nope - I have a 2 year old Samsung that cost the princely sum of €19.99.

If I were to upgrade to a 'smart phone' ( I use the term as loosely as possible) it probably would be an Android, but only because I believe spending 500 nicker on a phone is mentally retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

If I were to upgrade to a 'smart phone' ( I use the term as loosely as possible) it probably would be an Android, but only because I believe spending 500 nicker on a phone is mentally retarded.
    Because android phones dont cost 500 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

:rolleyes:

So you prefer the older crappy phones with basic features. Your part of a dying breed my friend. There's no argueing either as phones like that are soon to be close to extinction. They'll always be around for people like you who don't like new technology that makes communication easier for everyone.

I personally wouldn't be able to go back to using a normal "old fashioned phone". I've seen written somewhere that smartphones will have like 75% Market share of all phones very soon. In 5 years time I'd reckon that number will be in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Apple loses another unreleased iPhone (exclusive)

Cava22, the San Francisco bar where another unreleased iPhone apparently went missing.
    (Credit: James Martin/CNET)
    In a bizarre repeat of a high-profile incident last year, an Apple employee once again appears to have lost an unreleased iPhone in a bar, CNET has learned.
    The errant iPhone, which went missing in San Francisco's Mission district in late July, sparked a scramble by Apple security to recover the device over the next few days, according to a source familiar with the investigation.
    Last year, an iPhone 4 prototype was bought by a gadget blog that paid $5,000 in cash. This year's lost phone seems to have taken a more mundane path: it was taken from a Mexican restaurant and bar and may have been sold on Craigslist for $200. Still unclear are details about the device, what version of the iOS operating system it was running, and what it looks like.
    While Apple has not publicly announced any plans for future phones, unconfirmed reports in the last few weeks suggest the launch date for the iPhone 5 is likely to be in early October. Other reports from Taiwan have set the date at September or October. (See CNET's iPhone 5 rumor roundup.)
    Apple declined to comment after being contacted this morning. A spokesman for the San Francisco Police Department said the company did not file a police report based on the loss at the bar. Craigslist did not respond to requests for comment.
    A day or two after the phone was lost at San Francisco's Cava 22, which describes itself as a "tequila lounge" that also serves lime-marinated shrimp ceviche, Apple representatives contacted San Francisco police, saying the device was priceless and the company was desperate to secure its safe return, the source said.

Cava22, in San Francisco's Mission District, where another unreleased iPhone apparently went missing last month.
    (Credit: James Martin/CNET)
    Apple electronically traced the phone to a two-floor, single-family home in San Francisco's Bernal Heights neighborhood, according to the source.
    When San Francisco police and Apple's investigators visited the house, they spoke with a man in his twenties who acknowledged being at Cava 22 on the night the device went missing. But he denied knowing anything about the phone. The man gave police permission to search the house, and they found nothing, the source said. Before leaving the house, the Apple employees offered the man money for the phone no questions asked, the source said, adding that the man continued to deny he had knowledge of the phone.
    In an interview this afternoon, Jose Valle told CNET that neither the police nor Apple security ever contacted him. Valle, who owns the bar with his family, said however does he remember a man calling multiple times about a lost iPhone about a month ago. He told the man he would call him back if he ever found the phone.
    "I guess I have to make my drinks a little less strong," Valle said.
    After last year's embarrassing loss, Apple reportedly has taken extraordinary steps to protect its prototype devices from leaks. Next-generation iPhones are sent to carriers for testing "inside locked and sealed boxes so that the carriers can carry out checks on their network compatibility in their labs," according to the Guardian.
    Apple developers have been given new iPhones with an upgraded processor -- the one that is used in the iPad 2 and is expected to appear in the next-generation iPhone. But the device "is virtually identical to the iPhone 4, and there is no way anyone can tell it's not an iPhone 4 based on the phone's exterior," a report at 9to5Mac.com says. Even last year's prototype was enclosed in a case designed to make it look like an iPhone 3GS.
    Last year's prototype iPhone went missing when Robert Gray Powell, an Apple computer engineer who was 28 years old at the time, left it in a German beer garden in Redwood City, Calif.
    In early August, San Mateo County prosecutors filed misdemeanor criminal charges against two men, Brian Hogan and Sage Wallower, for allegedly selling Powell's iPhone 4 prototype to Gawker Media's Gizmodo blog. An arraignment is scheduled for tomorrow.
    Prosecutors obtained a warrant to search the home of Gizmodo editor Jason Chen, and indicated they might prosecute Gizmodo, but eventually decided not to file charges.
    Under a California law dating back to 1872, any person who finds lost property and knows who the owner is likely to be--but "appropriates such property to his own use"--is guilty of theft. In addition, a second state law says any person who knowingly receives property that has been obtained illegally can be imprisoned for up to one year.
    CNET's Josh Lowensohn and Elinor Mills contributed to this report
    Update 4:15 p.m. PT: To include comments from Cava 22 owner.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20099899-37/apple-loses-another-unreleased-iphone-exclusive/#ixzz1WgZH51rk

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20099899-37/apple-loses-another-unreleased-iphone-exclusive/?tag=TOCcarouselMain.0

Seen that article last night about the leaked iPhone however the only verification they have is that Cnet confirmed it. But so far now pictures or anything else. Just Cnet's word to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Is this all silly childish TV drama sort of stuff made up by apple for the silly american public and silly apple lovers -or is it?

Its all boring and very silly anyway.

pfurey101 wrote: »
    Is this all silly childish TV drama sort of stuff made up by apple for the silly american public and silly apple lovers -or is it?

If your a big fan of tech and things like new phones and the newest features then no, it's actually very interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Pics, or STFU, CNET. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Stevo2007

Dades wrote: »
    Pics, or STFU, CNET. :pac:
    Wouldn't they be handling stolen goods if they uploaded pictures of it?

Stevo2007 wrote: »
    Wouldn't they be handling stolen goods if they uploaded pictures of it?
    Not unless the pictures they uploaded showed some CNET employee holding the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Apple loses another unreleased iPhone
    How very U2 of them ;)

• Advertisement

iOS5 beta 7 (came out last night) expires on October 20th.

Could October 20th be the release date the iOS 5.0 & the iPhone 5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not necessarily. All betas have predefined expiry dates, and its unlikely (read silly) they'd have all Betas die in unison on release day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

iOS5 beta 7 (came out last night) expires on October 20th.

Could October 20th be the release date the iOS 5.0 & the iPhone 5?

No, the betas always have about 6/7 weeks expiry wouldnt read into it at all. They they release a GM then you know the release date is very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

That whole story is very sketchy. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple purposely leaked these stories. Anyway the prototype was said to be lost last July. If we haven't seen pics of it yet, we won't be seeing it any time soon.

Dman001 wrote: »
    That whole story is very sketchy. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple purposely leaked these stories. Anyway the prototype was said to be lost last July. If we haven't seen pics of it yet, we won't be seeing it any time soon.
    We did see pics of that phone, that was the Iphone 4.

This is the new phone thats been lost. the iPhone 4S or 5.

That's what I mean. The article says the iPhone 5 was lost in July. We haven't seen any supposed pictures of it yet, so I don't think we will before the iPhone 5 is officially announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Dman001 wrote: »

No, this IS the new phone, it was lost in July, we're only hearing about it now.

So when the heck is iOS 5 coming out anyway? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

pfurey101 wrote: »

Are you kidding ?
    This is Micheal O Leary free advertising class 101.
    Lots of coverage all for the cost of one phone that you "lost"

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    So when the heck is iOS 5 coming out anyway? :)
    My guess, it will available with the announcement/launch of the iPhone 5. Which is hopefully soon. I reckon Apple pushed back the launch of the iPhone 5 to September is to have a simultaneous Software/Hardware launch, as well as to avoid stock shortages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement