Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egret 3 Candy Cab

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Whats the problem with your cab anyway o1s1n?

Is it anything a new monitor would fix, perhaps one with some geometry issues around the edges :p

Unfortunately Mitch hasn't been able to locate the problem with the monitor. Tried two different chassis but neither worked. It's very strange.

I'd have bought that monitor from you if he wasn't getting me in a replacement. I take it you're not sending it back to Ronnie?
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Presumeably he went ahead & billed you for the six button panel, gave you the wrong one to get you by on while he waited for a 6 button to appear. .

That's how I was looking at it.

Steve - any idea what he charges for the 4 button panels? I take it they're less? And if so, was the original price of the cab including this lower priced 4 button panel or the 6 button?

As if it was the 6 and he's just refunding you the price of a 4 then there's something wrong there.

Master of the Universe

Does mitch do installation jobs in cabs? I hear he's good and he seems to have loads of experience with cabs. I could sort him out with cash/trade/whatever.

I guess if he was interested, he could install your monitor while he's up in Bray collecting my broken cab (sure you're only down the road!).then take your broken monitor as payment - fix it and then install it in my one to sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Unfortunately Mitch hasn't been able to locate the problem with the monitor. Tried two different chassis but neither worked. It's very strange.

I'd have bought that monitor from you if he wasn't getting me in a replacement. I take it you're not sending it back to Ronnie?

That's how I was looking at it.

Steve - any idea what he charges for the 4 button panels? I take it they're less? And if so, was the original price of the cab including this lower priced 4 button panel or the 6 button?

As if it was the 6 and he's just refunding you the price of a 4 then there's something wrong there.

Not sure what he charges for the panel to be honest as its all a blur right now as to what was included in the cab price and what was extra.

If you could get mitch to install this new monitor and chassis you could of had the monitor for free :D

Anyway, If your talking to him any time soon maybe mention I'm looking for someone to install and setup a monitor and chassis in my Egret 3 and if he would be able to it, properly ;)

Ok, So I asked Ronnie for some more detailed pics of the monitor he wants to send me.

This is all I got:

dsc0002zm.jpg

Does it look like the pixels are blurred in the centre of the screen but fine on the outside?

I've attached the full size picture to this post so you can see it a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Looking at the attachment picture, at the very bottom of the screen are red markers. You can see on the bottom left, the red markers are quite high, & as you head towards the right, the markers gradually sink away.

I've zero experience with tri-sync's, what can & cannot be adjusted on them etc so this may be normal. But to my untrained eye it sticks out quite obviously.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I see the exact blur you mean.

I think what's happening here is due to the big reflection in the middle of the monitor, the camera is trying to focus on that and is blurring the pixels around it out.

Most of the other blurs seems to be in areas where strong white light is reflecting on the screen.

It's not a very good condition to see the clarity of pixels.

I see the exact blur you mean.

I think what's happening here is due to the big reflection in the middle of the monitor, the camera is trying to focus on that and is blurring the pixels around it out.

Most of the other blurs seems to be in areas where strong white light is reflecting on the screen.

It's not a very good condition to see the clarity of pixels.

Agreed, its more difficult than it seems, to get a decent picture thats reflection free etc.

The red pixel markers though for me are worth noting, the bottom geometry isn't symetrical.

I don't think your going to get a perfect one from him :(

Agreed, its more difficult than it seems, to get a decent picture thats reflection free etc.

The red pixel markers though for me are worth noting, the bottom geometry isn't symetrical.

I don't think your going to get a perfect one from him :(

Yeah, to be honest I don't think he has a clue about what is good and what is bad when it comes to monitors. Every picture he seems to send me has they screen expanded so you cant see the geometry very well.

Master of the Universe

Just something else to add. I remember before reading a thread (possibly on arcade otaku?) where a guy with an Atomiswave was asking about his try sync.

The general consensus was that most try syncs have problems when displaying in lower resolutions. And that if you want a cab just to play 15khz games and aren't prepared to look at minor blemishes, you're better off getting a low res only one.

Just something else to add. I remember before reading a thread (possibly on arcade otaku?) where a guy with an Atomiswave was asking about his try sync.

The general consensus was that most try syncs have problems when displaying in lower resolutions. And that if you want a cab just to play 15khz games and aren't prepared to look at minor blemishes, you're better off getting a low res only one.

Yeah, I've read about that as well.
    Not really sure what to do.

Perhaps if myself and Ronnie could come to some agreement on him paying a certain amount towards a new monitor and me paying the rest or something.
    But I doubt he would do that :(

• Advertisement

I've asked over on Arcade Otaku so I'll ask here as well as it might come down to me getting a new monitor myself, without ronnie.

Whats the best 29" tri sync monitor you can get at the moment?

Lets pretend price is not an issue (it is but lets pretend :p)

As you know, I'll be using it on real arcade boards as well as my hyperspin pc.

I've asked over on Arcade Otaku so I'll ask here as well as it might come down to me getting a new monitor myself, without ronnie.

Whats the best 29" tri sync monitor you can get at the moment?

Lets pretend price is not an issue (it is but lets pretend :p)

As you know, I'll be using it on real arcade boards as well as my hyperspin pc.

Not being aware of what boards/games you run...first things first, do you actually need a tri-sync? If not, you could save the money & headaches by going dual or indeed 15Khz only.

Not being aware of what boards/games you run...first things first, do you actually need a tri-sync? If not, you could save the money & headaches by going dual or indeed 15Khz only.

Yeah, I would need tri sync to be honest.
    I'll be running all sorts on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Would it be worth seeing how good the monitor is in this and then sticking your old one in and reselling?
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/sega-naomi-arcade-machine/795843

Would it be worth seeing how good the monitor is in this and then sticking your old one in and reselling?
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/sega-naomi-arcade-machine/795843

Hmm, maybe.
    I'll keep an eye on the that ad.

Cheers

Master of the Universe

If you're going to get a new one, you might as well take the replacement from Ronnie anyway. It was free, right?

yeah, or some sort of refund.

Ok, I decided enough is enough and sent ronnie a final email giving him some options to resolve this before we get Paypal involved or any other legal options.

I've given him until Friday 23rd Sept to resolve the problems. I've even said if the monitor is sorted by then and I can see he is working to resolve the control panel issue I would be happy with that as long as he does sort me out with the control panel in a decent time frame.

Some handy arcade info, guides and tips from these guys over on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/varcadegames

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Some handy arcade info, guides and tips from these guys over on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/varcadegames

They have some good vids alright.

This chap's website is pretty cool, some good articles and really cool move strip artwork: http://www.emphatic.se/?p=807. Aswell as looking nice I found them useful to explain the moves in those Jap shmups. :)

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    They have some good vids alright.

This chap's website is pretty cool, some good articles and really cool move strip artwork: http://www.emphatic.se/?p=807. Aswell as looking nice I found them useful to explain the moves in those Jap shmups. :)

Yeah emphatic in good all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Since reading this thread and the lack of after sales (and cost!) I've decided not to go forward with a 'deal' from Ronnie. Will see if his prices fall to make it make sense. For now I will await the dude from Sega to respond...if he ever will!

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Since reading this thread and the lack of after sales (and cost!) I've decided not to go forward with a 'deal' from Ronnie. Will see if his prices fall to make it make sense. For now I will await the dude from Sega to respond...if he ever will!

Sorry to hear that mate. But I don't blame you.
    The thing is if you got a cab from Ronnie and everything was fine with it you would probably be ok (even though the guys on Arcade Otaku seen to think his prices are a bit of a rip off).
    But if you have any issues with it that's when his service falls down, big time.

I just got a reply to that email I sent him mentioning about getting paypal involved if we cant get even the monitor sorted in a few weeks.
    He seems fine with getting them involved and says he did nothing wrong. He also said get ready to send the cab back to him.
    Not very nice really :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I just got a reply to that email I sent him mentioning about getting paypal involved if we cant get even the monitor sorted in a few weeks.
    He seems fine with getting them involved and says he did nothing wrong. He also said get ready to send the cab back to him.
    Not very nice really :(

That's rather poor form. Bang goes any customer loyalty from you and any leads you may have provided in future.

I just hope you get a positive conclusion.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    That's rather poor form. Bang goes any customer loyalty from you and any leads you may have provided in future.

I just hope you get a positive conclusion.

Well, considering I had that group of people willing to buy from him if my experience was good and the fact I'm getting another candy for myself he has lost out on a fair bit of cash.

No matter how big his business is you just cant be losing 10-15k cash because you have terrible after sales service (his pre sale service was not the best either if I'm honest :D).

And that wasn't a "hey in 6 or 7 months I might have a few guys looking for some candies". It was a "hey Ronnie, I have the cash waiting to order these cabs as soon as our first order is done and I'm happy with it".

Anyway, I'll try and sort this out and order my next cab from someone else.

Ronnie is going to try and sort me out with a Nanao 2931 with a Toshiba tube (from a net cities cab he has coming).

Supposed to be a very decent monitor setup if its in good working order.

I'd be very happy with that if it all works out.

I also got my original Egret 2 speakers yesterday and they are a whole lot bigger and better looking than what came in my Egret 3.
    They don't have the same connection but it should be easy enough to get sorted.

Ronnie is going to try and sort me out with a Nanao 2931 with a Toshiba tube (from a net cities cab he has coming).

I also got my original Egret 2 speakers yesterday and they are a whole lot bigger and better looking than what came in my Egret 3.

How did it go from "Get ready to send back the cab" to being helpful & getting sorted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

This is a picture of the actual tube (he already has that in stock btw) you should be getting from him. It was the alternative one after I asked for pictures of the first one from the cab he offered me.

Hope it all works out for yea btw!

I'm just not awaiting to find out shipping costs for a few Naomi cabs from the UK to Dublin - anyone interested in 3 button / 2 player Naomi New Net Cities? :)

How did it go from "Get ready to send back the cab" to being helpful & getting sorted out?

I have his family in a secure location :D

• Advertisement

Looking for a bit of help.

I got these speakers the other day from a chap over on Arcade Otaku.
    They're Egret 2 speakers and a million times better quality than the ones that came with my cab. The only prob is the connector on them as its not what my cab connects to (my cab uses those quick disconnect things that we use on buttons etc).

I've had a look around but cant find the female version of these to connect up to my cab.

dsc5299.jpg
    dsc5300z.jpg
    dsc5301p.jpg

Anyone know where I cab get them?

Advertisement