Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Okay guys, I think it's time to accept that nogivingup is clearly not a med student (his section 2 would have let him down i'm sure) and that he is a huge troll. No one can be that obnoxious to strangers. Can we just stop arguing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nogivingup

Randylonghorn just sent me a Private Message and was all:
    "You have already been warned about your attitude, and your rude and confrontational posting style. Don't push this to a ban, please."

I don't care.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Actually, that PM went with the warning / yellow card you picked up above.

And it's this simple: if you want to keep posting in this forum, you need to care and take notice.

If you don't that's fine. I can't say I care either way either tbh.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Did you not actually notice my warning to Kirby a few posts before? ... or just decide it didn't apply to you?!

I don't really care about make believe red cards, but is it not hypocritial for a moderator with an overtly sexual innuendo as a username to be punishing people for 1 semi-offensive post? What happened to the glory days of political incorrectness?

Also, why does he get a yellow card and I, an instant red without any personal warning? A little bit of consistency would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I don't really care about make believe red cards, but is it not hypocritial for a moderator with an overtly sexual innuendo as a username to be punishing people for 1 semi-offensive post? What happened to the glory days of political incorrectness?

I refer you to the Leaving Cert Charter and the boards.ie rules...personal abuse will not be tolerated.

Please do not derail the thread by arguing mod decisions. PM a mod if you need any more explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mad Shark

I refer you to the Leaving Cert Charter and the boards.ie rules...personal abuse will not be tolerated.

Please do not derail the thread by arguing mod decisions. PM a mod if you need any more explanation.

As i said already we may stop this carryon if people stop getting sucked in to 'nogivingup' and his messing about... Including you Queenofleon... by replying to his post you are adding fuel to his fire..!!

Wasnt Katie just great earlier on !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Darksider

Mad Shark wrote: »

As i said already we may stop this carryon if people stop getting sucked in to 'nogivingup' and his messing about... Including you Queenofleon... by replying to his post you are adding fuel to his fire..!!

Wasnt Katie just great earlier on !!!

Amazing to finally win another gold medal after 1996. Interestingly enough the swimmer who won those medals in 1996 was later banned for doping but her medals were not revoked. Hopefully Paddy will be able to bring home another soon :)

On topic: anyone actually studying medicine wanna tell me if there is any clinical experience in first year and if theres a dress code of some sort for that?

Darksider wrote: »
    Amazing to finally win another gold medal after 1996. Interestingly enough the swimmer who won those medals in 1996 was later banned for doping but her medals were not revoked. Hopefully Paddy will be able to bring home another soon :)

On topic: anyone actually studying medicine wanna tell me if there is any clinical experience in first year and if theres a dress code of some sort for that?

Because I am an actual Med student in Trinity, believe it or not, no, there isn't any clinical! We do have Anatomy practicals but no hospitals, we begin that in Second Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If you do premed in NUIG there's patient contact from the off in semester 1. There are rumours they may also be swapping patient contact from second med to first med as well, so it might be patient contact from the off regardless.

nogivingup wrote: »

Because I am an actual Med student in Trinity, believe it or not, no, there isn't any clinical! We do have Anatomy practicals but no hospitals, we begin that in Second Year.

Practicals as in dissections? Are they demonstrations by the pathologist or is there hands-on work in first year? Do you remember what time of day lectures typically started(I know it's different all the time but an average would be nice :P)? I'm fairly excited about starting just a few more days and I'll know
    jumpguy wrote: »
    If you do premed in NUIG there's patient contact from the off in semester 1. There are rumours they may also be swapping patient contact from second med to first med as well, so it might be patient contact from the off regardless.

Is that just for nuig? The actual clinical stuff is what I'm really looking forward to! I'm in no rush though, I know I actually need to learn some medicine first haha

• Advertisement

Practicals as in dissections? Are they demonstrations by the pathologist or is there hands-on work in first year? Do you remember what time of day lectures typically started(I know it's different all the time but an average would be nice :P)? I'm fairly excited about starting just a few more days and I'll know

Practical as in dissections! :) Hands on work! Must have been day three or so when we were given scalpels.
    Oh, 9am four days a week! :P 11am the other!

Practical as in dissections! :) Hands on work! Must have been day three or so when we were given scalpels.
    Oh, 9am four days a week! :P 11am the other!

Day three? that is way sooner than I dared hope for :P. Ah at least there's a lie in one day of the week

Day three? that is way sooner than I dared hope for :P. Ah at least there's a lie in one day of the week

You have no idea how valuable that day becomes! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MtHanrahan

UCC has a Clinical Practice module in First year. So that's pretend patient contact if you like. Google OSCE if you want to see what it's like.

Anatomy dissections every Tuesday and Thursday/Friday here. Mainly observing but you will get a chance to do some cutting later in the year.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

MtHanrahan wrote: »
    Anatomy dissections every Tuesday and Thursday/Friday here. Mainly observing but you will get a chance to do some cutting later in the year.
    In NUIG, we get to do the dissecting ourselves from the first day of Anatomy lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Anyone think that the difficult maths paper this year will affect med applicants?

spasmaster wrote: »
    Anyone think that the difficult maths paper this year will affect med applicants?

Given the 25 extra points, I can't say that it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shunter07

@randylonghorn.. I think i should be allowed change my username to CuntyMcFannyFart. @nogivingup... Dead right. Only arrogance and a bit of gusto will get you anywhere in a Maternal profession like Medicine. How is it that in Ireland it takes soo many years to become a consultant, yet in the NHS it takes as little as 3 or so years? Ageism methinks.. Has anyone seen Ted?? The bear was an arrogant so and so and he got promoted! If Ted does not mirror real life then i don't know what does....

Enjoy the rest of the summer people because no one will know where they stand until Monday the 20th.

@The Mods... Lighten up a little. Everyone gets soooo worked up over nothing. It is clear nogivingup was trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Does anyone know approx what date in the summer med students are finished their final end of year exam on? :)

And what time do lectures end at (considering you start at 9 or 11)? :)

Does anyone know approx what date in the summer med students are finished their final end of year exam on? :)

And what time do lectures end at (considering you start at 9 or 11)? :)
    Trinity finished on the 4th Of May.
    Depends on the day really, last year I finished at 11 almost every Friday, other days you finish at 5, some at 1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Trinity finished on the 4th Of May.
    Depends on the day really, last year I finished at 11 almost every Friday, other days you finish at 5, some at 1!

cheers and can i just ask what did you think of the new biomed building? :D

spasmaster wrote: »

I was kinda shocked by everyone saying it was difficult, it seemed pretty standard for a maths paper to me whenever I was doing it. Came out of the exam and everyone including our teacher said it was reasonable. Then I went home and the news was going on about how ridiculously difficult it was lol. Our expectations were sort of built towards a fairly hard paper though, the teacher kept telling us not to underestimate it just because it was the first year of the new course.

Either way though, if it did end up being very difficult they'll adjust the marking scheme accordingly so enough people get A's which means the difficulty of the actual paper shouldn't really affect points requirements. People often tend to do better in maths than they expected so I think it'll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

Anyone know why the ACER booklets from the HPAT website are not available now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Just wondering whether or not you can write things down on paper for the UKCAT and HPAT? For the HPAT can you write ob the booklet? The UKCAT is done on the computer, are you allowed paper? Thanks.

Just wondering whether or not you can write things down on paper for the UKCAT and HPAT? For the HPAT can you write ob the booklet? The UKCAT is done on the computer, are you allowed paper? Thanks.

for ukcat you get an erasable whiteboard sheet, for the hpat you can write on the booklet but you'll need to adjust to writing verrry small since there's not a lot of room on most pages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

for ukcat you get an erasable whiteboard sheet, for the hpat you can write on the booklet but you'll need to adjust to writing verrry small since there's not a lot of room on most pages
    Great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Just curious, does a Leaving Cert candidate have to repeat Maths, English, Irish - despite meeting the entry requirements in a previous year - in order to pursue Medicine ?
    Is chemistry difficult if undertaken for one year?
    Also, are there HPAT prep booklets to buy and practice with?

Thanks in advance:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Just curious, does a Leaving Cert candidate have to repeat Maths, English, Irish - despite meeting the entry requirements in a previous year - in order to pursue Medicine ?
    Yes. Candidates for medicine must meet all requirements in the same year, it's an anomaly in this respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Is chemistry difficult if undertaken for one year?
    Also, are there HPAT prep booklets to buy and practice with?

Thanks in advance:)

Yeah chemistry would be a mountain in one year tbh, you'll have to work super hard, all of the time. And yeah there's two official HPAT booklets, it's like €50 for the two, but loads of people have them lying around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Yes. Candidates for medicine must meet all requirements in the same year, it's an anomaly in this respect.

Unless you are applying as a mature student of course!

Some colleges will accept subjects taken separately.. for instance, I did biology and chemistry this year as an external student and could apply to most colleges while still fulfilling matriculation requirements.

Advertisement