Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Just curious, does a Leaving Cert candidate have to repeat Maths, English, Irish - despite meeting the entry requirements in a previous year - in order to pursue Medicine ?
    Is chemistry difficult if undertaken for one year?
    Also, are there HPAT prep booklets to buy and practice with?

Thanks in advance:)

I repeated this year and took up Chemistry for it. It requires a lot of work and I would've failed without grinds. I'd say if you need it for matriculation (to qualify for a course) then do it but if you're doing it for points I wouldn't advise it. If I had wanted an A I probably could have gotten one but it would've taken up so much of my time that my other subjects would have suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

In regards to taking up chemistry in one year its probarly better taking it as a 7th higher level subject and getting the c3. Thats what a couple of people in my repeat year did this year. It be a mountain to climb getting an A1 in one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Hi! What are some good preparation materials I can buy? Especially for section 3? Are there any books that are useful for preparing or it? I'm treating the Hpat as an extra subject study-wise....

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

m3dentry has a pretty much bottomless pit of prep for section 3.. if you are treating hpat like an extra subject I think it's your best bet by far..

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

hollingr wrote: »
    m3dentry has a pretty much bottomless pit of prep for section 3.. if you are treating hpat like an extra subject I think it's your best bet by far..

Yeah I was looking at that, I'd be willing to buy prep materials if anyone was selling them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mad Shark

Anyone getting nervous?

more curious than nervous.. The big one for me is going to be the CAO medicine offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I don't know what would be worse tomorrow. Getting my results and knowing I won't get Medicine, or getting them and being in with a slim chance. Another nervous wait would be horrible. I think I'd rather just know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 marienhof

I have no clue how im going to sleep tonight :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

marienhof wrote: »
    I have no clue how im going to sleep tonight :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I haven't been sleeping for the past week, keep waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat! Can't wait to find out in approx 16 hours. Good luck to all on Boards.:)

• Advertisement

dcam wrote: »
    I haven't been sleeping for the past week, keep waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat! Can't wait to find out in approx 16 hours. Good luck to all on Boards.:)

Roger that - lets talk tomorrow.... and good luck...

hollingr wrote: »
    more curious than nervous.. The big one for me is going to be the CAO medicine offers!

Same as myself - repeated HPAT - did LC last year....

any other external students? apparently we get our results by mail.. "intended" delivery date 15th august

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 marienhof

738 hoping for galway :)

marienhof wrote: »
    738 hoping for galway :)

nicely done! I think you will definitely get in somewhere with 738. I noticed the Irish times were not brave enough to make a guess at points for medicine this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Was pretty happy with my results today and with the 185 points in the hpat I now have a grand total of 750 so hoping for Trinity ... Dear God, pretty please...? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Darksider

Grand total is over 765, not gonna say the exact number. Very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

So I would've been on 758. Hope I made the right choice not to do medicine. At least one more person who REALLY wants it will get in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

Darksider wrote: »
    Grand total is over 765, not gonna say the exact number. Very happy

Very big congrats. Well over the quota :D

Very big congrats. Well over the quota :D

Thanks man, I'm just happy I don't have to worry about the offers on monday :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

finality wrote: »
    So I would've been on 758. Hope I made the right choice not to do medicine. At least one more person who REALLY wants it will get in :)

If you have a sudden change of heart, you'll still have your 758 for next year anyway! :)

Can't wait to see the offers...

If you have a sudden change of heart, you'll still have your 758 for next year anyway! :)

Can't wait to see the offers... What did the Irish Times guess?

they weren't brave enough to venture a guess.. they only talked about how applications are up for pharma and dentistry and avoided the med completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

Hoping 749 will be enough for NUIG!:D:D:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gorta

Have got 741 points myself, hope it's enough for Galway.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

gorta wrote: »
    Have got 741 points myself, hope it's enough for Galway.:confused:

It will be! I wouldn't worry too much about it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 johnnyboy18

Anyone braver than the irish times and willing to venture a guess as to points?! I know it's pure speculation and it's won't make one bit of difference but all I can seem to do is ponder over all the possible outcomes. I go from thinking the points will rise dramatically to only rising slightly. Right now I'm thinking that each college will increase by 5 or there abouts. Basing this on the fact that the majority of students - thanks to bonus maths - will be above 550 and also the fact that if I'm right I'll get my first choice ;) I've gone over so many different scenarios of how the points will play out I'm going insane. I thought more people would have disclosed their scores - i guess a lot of those hoping for med already had their results - which I think bodes well to keep scores down :confused: I don't know - roll on Monday

Anyone braver than the irish times and willing to venture a guess as to points?! I know it's pure speculation and it's won't make one bit of difference but all I can seem to do is ponder over all the possible outcomes. I go from thinking the points will rise dramatically to only rising slightly. Right now I'm thinking that each college will increase by 5 or there abouts. Basing this on the fact that the majority of students - thanks to bonus maths - will be above 550 and also the fact that if I'm right I'll get my first choice ;) I've gone over so many different scenarios of how the points will play out I'm going insane. I thought more people would have disclosed their scores - i guess a lot of those hoping for med already had their results - which I think bodes well to keep scores down :confused: I don't know - roll on Monday

absolute minimum for random selection nuig.. i'd say around 736/737. i'm basing this off very little though besides a number that seems reasonable in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 24 johnnyboy18

Darksider wrote: »
    absolute minimum for random selection nuig.. i'd say around 736/737. i'm basing this off very little though besides a number that seems reasonable in my head

What are your thoughts on the others?

What are your thoughts on the others?

will 742 get any of the 3 Dublin colleges ????

• Advertisement

what score did you get as a matter of interest?

Advertisement