Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Darksider

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Yeah? I don't know why people would change and what not... I'd leave it top and then just accept like 7th choice on my CAO if not.

No... I didn't... I'm just trolling trying to comfort people. Not working though... :L

I don't think you can stop people from worrying mate, especially with a course like medicine that they have to put so much hard work into. I've got a fairly easy time of it after the hpat results but I still can't help but worry about it constantly haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Darksider wrote: »
    I don't think you can stop people from worrying mate, especially with a course like medicine that they have to put so much hard work into. I've got a fairly easy time of it after the hpat results but I still can't help but worry about it constantly haha.

Yeah good hpat? What'd you get (if I'm allowed ask?)

209. Got lucky with the hpat and the 25 extra maths points this year worked out really well for me (never expected i'd actually have a chance to get into medicine). Still very anxious about results which is probably why I keep randomly checking up on this thread :P

209. Got lucky with the hpat and the 25 extra maths points this year worked out really well for me (never expected i'd actually have a chance to get into medicine). Still very anxious about results which is probably why I keep randomly checking up on this thread :P

Wow, fair play. A few of my friends got in the 200's, and those are the few who are going to get 625 anyway! You're almost guaranteed a place.

I'd have loved to try it to see how I would have gotten on, but I realised that if I were lucky enough to do well, my 'high' hpat score (if I were lucky to get one) may have severe effects on others down the line who want to do medicine.

Where you hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mad Shark

excellent HPAT Score - what percentile was it? so you will need about 530 in LC (includes the 25 Bonus Points) .... good luck and fair play to you ....

• Advertisement

Wow, fair play. A few of my friends got in the 200's, and those are the few who are going to get 625 anyway! You're almost guaranteed a place.

I'd have loved to try it to see how I would have gotten on, but I realised that if I were lucky enough to do well, my 'high' hpat score (if I were lucky to get one) may have severe effects on others down the line who want to do medicine.

Where you hoping for?
    Mad Shark wrote: »
    excellent HPAT Score - what percentile was it? so you will need about 530 in LC (includes the 25 Bonus Points) .... good luck and fair play to you ....

98th but I definitely won't be one of the ones getting 625 haha. I can imagine, its an interesting test, I was very curious about my how I would do in it! Thats a very thoughtful thing you did though, every question you got right would drive down the scores of others who got the same question right :L

Yeah 530 is the minimum I'm hoping for if I wanna get in. I don't really mind where I go though, have trinity and nuig as the top 2 mainly since those are both only 5 year courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

I'm gonna go ahead and say that 735 is the absolute minimum NUIG could go to this year. That means the smallest hpat score one could possibly get in with is 170 which is around 72nd percentile. So that means at the moment there are around 1000 people competing for the ~600 (i think?) places in medicine. Honestly if someone scored over 180 they shouldn't really be too worried provided their exams went well.

did you do the hpat btw?

there is only 441 places in undergraduate medicine after excluding the HEAR students and mature students ,maybe this is part of the reason other people's predictions are differant than mine???

there is only 441 places in undergraduate medicine after excluding the HEAR students and mature students ,maybe this is part of the reason other people's predictions are differant than mine???

Hmm I never knew that, I just had a vague memory of someone mentioning there were around 600 places in medicine but that probably includes post grads.

Where did you get such an exact figure anyways mate? Again there's not really much we can do in predicting besides make rough guesses haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

ive decided to do the hpat again for the third time, does anyone have helpful tips?

I did not use med--entry last year but used the two sample booklets and other notes i got from a school.

I will be doing med--entry this year.

Do people find it particularly effective?

Any feedback thanks in advance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Where you hoping for?

If you had done the hpat it wouldn't have affected other applicants unless you actually put medicine as your first choice. :P

• Advertisement

finality wrote: »

Where you hoping for?

If you had done the hpat it wouldn't have affected other applicants unless you actually put medicine as your first choice. :P

But if I got some of the harder questions right, I would have pushed their scores down- and, a lot of people I know with lower scores(170ish even though it's not too low) have abandoned their desire to even try for medicine.

This is if I had gotten a high score...I probably would have gotten like 120! :P

Hmm I never knew that, I just had a vague memory of someone mentioning there were around 600 places in medicine but that probably includes post grads.

Where did you get such an exact figure anyways mate? Again there's not really much we can do in predicting besides make rough guesses haha

see my post on 13 july at 21.59. however i can see where you got the 600 figure from as there is another 200 approx.places in post grad.but i don't know the exact figure for post grad.as that would be related to gamsat etc.y
    i'm now really getting worried!!!!! ,as you're prediction of 738 was made on the basis of over 600places+. what would be your prediction now knowing there is 441places.

see my post on 13 july at 21.59. however i can see where you got the 600 figure from as there is another 200 approx.places in post grad.but i don't know the exact figure for post grad.as that would be related to gamsat etc.y
    i'm now really getting worried!!!!! ,as you're prediction of 738 was made on the basis of over 600places+. what would be your prediction now knowing there is 441places.

No point in worrying as it wont do anything to improve the situation - we have to sit back and wait - this day 4 weeks and we will know!!

But if I got some of the harder questions right, I would have pushed their scores down- and, a lot of people I know with lower scores(170ish even though it's not too low) have abandoned their desire to even try for medicine.

This is if I had gotten a high score...I probably would have gotten like 120! :P

One person wouldn't have an effect.

finality wrote: »

One person wouldn't have an effect.

The butterfly effect says different

Come on man! Its not like my numbers are coming from a days worth of complex maths. I just pulled a number out that seemed reasonable based on whatever I knew. I still don't think its feasible for NUIG to reach all the way up to 740 considering the hpat scores stayed roughly the same this year. 14 points is an absolutely enormous increase considering the only thing changing is the 25 points from maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Anyone want to explain this whole HEAR thing to me? I have a friend who has a slight hearing problem and she was telling me that she is likely to get extra points? Seems a little unfair to be honest, surely the people who do the best should be given the best scores regardless of learning difficulties etc..? Im not looking for an argument or trying to be patronising but is there anyone who could shed light on this for me? :) Cheers!

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Anyone want to explain this whole HEAR thing to me? I have a friend who has a slight hearing problem and she was telling me that she is likely to get extra points? Seems a little unfair to be honest, surely the people who do the best should be given the best scores regardless of learning difficulties etc..? Im not looking for an argument or trying to be patronising but is there anyone who could shed light on this for me? :) Cheers!

I think she'd be for the DARE if it is a hearing disability. A certain number of places are awarded to DARE students (I think it means disability access route education or something like that. Only certain things qualify , type 1 diabetes not 2, etc. ) Also there is HEAR which is higher education access route I think. Im not certain what it's about really. I think it is fr students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

True people who work harder deserve higher points and the places but people with disadvantages must work extra hard to try to access these routes. They mightn't be able to afford as much study time as they may have medical appointments or in the case of diabetes, regular insulin injections or tests, which need to be done quite frequently.

There are always pros and cons and different outlooks etc.

HEAR is for people with disadvantaged backgrounds. It does have merit though, compare two students, one with wealthy parents, one with unemployed parents.

Student 1: Can afford to go to the best schools (grind schools for example), can afford to go to courses, can afford to get grinds for subjects they have difficulty with. They'll get lifts to and from school which saves them time. Don't have to do certain chores like babysitting or gardening as their parents hire others to do those jobs. Can afford to buy all the revision books and study aids they need.

Student 2: Goes to a public school. Can't afford to get grinds or go to courses. Has to walk to and from school. Has to babysit their younger siblings as parents can't afford a babysitter. Has to do all the gardening. Has to use second hand books which may have pages missing, they can't afford to buy extra revision books to help them.

Those are two fairly extreme cases but you can see that the former would have a much easier time getting high points even if both had the exact same aptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shunter07

Here is how to calculate whether you get into Med in 2012 or not.

1) Check cut off points of your college of choice last yr. (Cork was 733 but random selection applied so 734 got you in.

2) Subtract from this your HPAT Score. ie 734 minus 183 HPAT = 551.

3) This figure is the adjusted LC Score For last year. The score needed in the LC obviously.

4) Add 5 points to this score (Honours Maths will affect the scores by a max of 5 at the top end)

5) Now add the equivalent of 10 points (ie if over 550 add just 2).

Thats it. Thats what you need in your leaving cert to get in. It includes the Honours Maths Points.

No messing around with dubious calculations or that! It accounts for a ten point rise excluding the rise due to honours maths. If you are really pessimistic add 1 or 2 extra points.

Lets pretend there is no points for honours maths. When have the points ever increased by more than ten?

With this example this canditate needs 590 which includes 25 extra for honours maths.

An interesting note is this.590-25 =565. this is the points this canditate would have had last year with these points. which is 553 adjusted. add your 183 and look what you have? a 736 score. or a 2 point increase. Due to the ten point rise.

This is a simplistic approach i know and feel free to pick holes in it! I think you may find however that filtering through all of the bs of the hpat score and points increases and what not, at the end of the day people do get into medicine and certainly not with ridiculous hpat and lc scores. Very good ones should suffice! im talking 600/625 and 180 plus for most, more for trinners, less for gaillimh!

Best of luck to all!

• Advertisement

shunter07 wrote: »
    Here is how to calculate whether you get into Med in 2012 or not.

1) Check cut off points of your college of choice last yr. (Cork was 733 but random selection applied so 734 got you in.

2) Subtract from this your HPAT Score. ie 734 minus 183 HPAT = 551.

3) This figure is the adjusted LC Score For last year. The score needed in the LC obviously.

4) Add 5 points to this score (Honours Maths will affect the scores by a max of 5 at the top end)

5) Now add the equivalent of 10 points (ie if over 550 add just 2).

Thats it. Thats what you need in your leaving cert to get in. It includes the Honours Maths Points.

No messing around with dubious calculations or that! It accounts for a ten point rise excluding the rise due to honours maths. If you are really pessimistic add 1 or 2 extra points.

Lets pretend there is no points for honours maths. When have the points ever increased by more than ten?

With this example this canditate needs 590 which includes 25 extra for honours maths.

An interesting note is this.590-25 =565. this is the points this canditate would have had last year with these points. which is 553 adjusted. add your 183 and look what you have? a 736 score. or a 2 point increase. Due to the ten point rise.

This is a simplistic approach i know and feel free to pick holes in it! I think you may find however that filtering through all of the bs of the hpat score and points increases and what not, at the end of the day people do get into medicine and certainly not with ridiculous hpat and lc scores. Very good ones should suffice! im talking 600/625 and 180 plus for most, more for trinners, less for gaillimh!

Best of luck to all!

in 5) why not add equivalent of 25 points(if over 550just add 5),or add equivalent of 25-10=15 points(if over 550 just 3)
    the rest of it is reasonable enough
    i agree with you on the upper prediction (tcd will only go up5/6 points but
    it will be a differant story at the bottom end (ucg)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hi, your friend won't get extra points, she may be offered a place on reduced points.

in 5) why not add equivalent of 25 points(if over 550just add 5),or add equivalent of 25-10=15 points(if over 550 just 3)
    the rest of it is reasonable enough
    i agree with you on the upper prediction (tcd will only go up5/6 points but
    it will be a differant story at the bottom end (ucg)

I am not following number 5) - why add 10 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shunter07

I am not following number 5) - why add 10 points?

I said add 10 as a precaution. The Hpat has stagnated.. So in theory a points rise can be attributed to an increase in demand or LC Points. So i think worst case scenario is a ten point increase in LC Points/Demand which accounts for 2 points after 550. I Picked 10 points of a jump as a ball park figure. Pessimists go higher and Optimists go lower. Bottom line is that if you do honours maths you can forget about how those extra points will affect the scores..

Put it this way. if everyone got the extra points (Did honours maths) Then everyones points would increase equally and no one would be better or worse off. So if you think of it that way its not a help for those that do honours.. just a hindrence to those that dont.

Its a bit like inflation. If everyone in the world was given 5 euros extra(or equivalent in there currency) The world economies would inflate by exactly 5 euro. No one would be better or worse off. Makes sense??

shunter07 wrote: »
    I said add 10 as a precaution. The Hpat has stagnated.. So in theory a points rise can be attributed to an increase in demand or LC Points. So i think worst case scenario is a ten point increase in LC Points/Demand which accounts for 2 points after 550. I Picked 10 points of a jump as a ball park figure. Pessimists go higher and Optimists go lower. Bottom line is that if you do honours maths you can forget about how those extra points will affect the scores..

Put it this way. if everyone got the extra points (Did honours maths) Then everyones points would increase equally and no one would be better or worse off. So if you think of it that way its not a help for those that do honours.. just a hindrence to those that dont.

Its a bit like inflation. If everyone in the world was given 5 euros extra(or equivalent in there currency) The world economies would inflate by exactly 5 euro. No one would be better or worse off. Makes sense??

your reasoning on (5) is incorrect. even if everyone did hons maths,it would
    not be evenly distributed . student with 525 lc(before hons maths) and hpat of 190 is not the same as student with 550(before hons maths) and hpat of 165 ,
    the only significant differance between this year and last year is the bonus
    maths points,as hpat is the same. but as this has no precedent,one can't be exact about what differance this will make, certainly the changes in previous years has no relevance, as these were due to hpat changes.etc.

For tcd , the bonus maths is simple ,increase of approx.5 as everyone is in top 6% of hpat but students getting ucg could be only on 80% hpat if they get 625 on lc

• Registered Users Posts: 20 zinny

hey guys I just want to ask about the difficulty level of the hpat and how much study is ideal to get a good score on it!?? how can I improve my scores in section 3 as im having difficulty getting the sequences right in this!??

zinny wrote: »
    hey guys I just want to ask about the difficulty level of the hpat and how much study is ideal to get a good score on it!?? how can I improve my scores in section 3 as im having difficulty getting the sequences right in this!??

Hpat section 3 is harder than any IQ test I've ever done, if that gives you an impression. I found the first two sections quite ok. If you're good at understanding people and their emotions and responses section 2 is a breeze. I got 80 in it with no prep, if you have an aptitude for it, you're sorted. On the other hand if you don't I think it might be difficult to improve on.

For section 3 I think all you can do is practise, do the practise booklets and look at the correct answers afterwards and try to figure out why they're correct. There are certain "types" of questions and they're quite repetitive.

your reasoning on (5) is incorrect. even if everyone did hons maths,it would
    not be evenly distributed . student with 525 lc(before hons maths) and hpat of 190 is not the same as student with 550(before hons maths) and hpat of 165 ,
    the only significant differance between this year and last year is the bonus
    maths points,as hpat is the same. but as this has no precedent,one can't be exact about what differance this will make, certainly the changes in previous years has no relevance, as these were due to hpat changes.etc.

For tcd , the bonus maths is simple ,increase of approx.5 as everyone is in top 6% of hpat but students getting ucg could be only on 80% hpat if they get 625 on lc

Dont follow the last paragragh? What exactly are you saying there?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Dont follow the last paragragh? What exactly are you saying there?

He means at Trinity, since the requirements are so high, the vast majority will have more than 550 Leaving cert points and higher level maths, meaning that a points rise of 5 points (as every 5 points over 550 is only worth 1 point for medicine applications) due to the bonus of higher level maths will likely occur.

• Advertisement

Nazata wrote: »
    He means at Trinity, since the requirements are so high, the vast majority will have more than 550 Leaving cert points and higher level maths, meaning that a points rise of 5 points (as every 5 points over 550 is only worth 1 point for medicine applications) due to the bonus of higher level maths will likely occur.

what i mean is, there is 130 places in tcd,anyone in top 4%hpat (130students)has200+points. all they need is 525points(excluding maths) to reach 750 points.however approx. 15% dont put tcd as there 1st choice. also a few will get 600+points and a hpat as low as 88% which will give them 746points . this will allow those with hpat of 197(top 6%) a place with lc of 525( before maths) to reach the 746 ,which is the additional 5 bonus maths added to last year minimum of 741

Advertisement