Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

madigan94 wrote: »
    what about drink?anybody here giving it up/increasing the amount of it they drink/not planning to start drinking it?

This is going to be probably the biggest problem for me all year :P I bruise particuarly easily compared to most people in the mornings and I get absolutely nothing done all day if i'v been out and it's going to at least one 18th per weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 F1f1

Hey :) K so i did my leaving last year (thank god!) and got an A1 in history :D Kinda need money for college now so was thinking of selling my history essay plans that I made..basically i did out essay plans to cover pretty much anything that could come up in my topics! But..I don't know if these plans would be of use to anyone else or if its more of a personal thing so if anyone wants to take a look at one of them and tell me what they think? You'l be getting a free essay plan out of it! Let me know an I'll PM ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

madigan94 wrote: »
    What colleges are ye all aiming to attend?

Cambridge here's hoping :/

Anyone else back? First day today, opened with my Irish teacher not turning up (hooray :rolleyes:). Already back into homework, chemistry, biology and maths all today, no rest at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

Cambridge here's hoping :/

Anyone else back? First day today, opened with my Irish teacher not turning up (hooray :rolleyes:). Already back into homework, chemistry, biology and maths all today, no rest at all :rolleyes:
    Just curious, what have you done with your CV to get into cambridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

First proper day back wasn't too bad, apart from the maths teacher basically trying to talk everyone out of higher level :rolleyes: Apparently there are only about 8 in the class (out of 27) that she thinks will be capable for it. She's already managed to convince some to drop, without giving them any chance to prove themselves to her. She's a really bad teacher, and my friends and I are convinced she's just doing this so she doesn't look bad at results time. I'm staying in her class anyway whether she likes it or not, I love maths and I know that I am fully able to do higher level. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

sdiff wrote: »
    Just curious, what have you done with your CV to get into cambridge?
    I didn't think Cambridge looked at CVs?

Only back for an hour today and I'm not in tomorrow, graaand. Subjects-wise my timetable's ok but I have double PE on Monday morning, and four religion classes a week. Weird school...

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

Right lads, back tomorrow.. Getting my bag ready for the "big day." :rolleyes:

I'll let ye know how the first day goes. :p Birthday Thursday though, can't waaaaaaaaait! :D

We're back tomorrow aswell. My first class is a double free and my English teacher is taking the first month off cause the holidays weren't long enough seemingly. I'll keep my feet up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I was getting my bag ready earlier and i just realised how many books i have! I'll never fit them all in my locker! :(

Namlub wrote: »
    I didn't think Cambridge looked at CVs?

Only back for an hour today and I'm not in tomorrow, graaand. Subjects-wise my timetable's ok but I have double PE on Monday morning, and four religion classes a week. Weird school...
    You'll need a good CV. it's one of the best uni's in the world (second I think). There's far too much demand to let everyone who has 7 As in unfortunately

• Advertisement

We're back tomorrow aswell. My first class is a double free and my English teacher is taking the first month off cause the holidays weren't long enough seemingly. I'll keep my feet up :)

How do you know your classes if you're not back 'til tomorrow?
    Yeah, a few teachers from mine have decided to go on maternity leave starting on the first. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

sdiff wrote: »
    You'll need a good CV. it's one of the best uni's in the world (second I think). There's far too much demand to let everyone who has 7 As in unfortunately

CV? I'm assuming you're reffering to the personal statement, you don't send a CV or anything.

But generally, their sole requirement is academic potential and interest in your degree (but to a very high level). Yeah, obviously they're looking for extra-curricular stuff, but mostly just things you can relate back to your degree. Drama if you want English Lit, Science Olympiad stuff if you want maths or a science, things like that. Like, I could do guitar and drama and rugby and all the rest, be pretty smart, but the guy who does maths olympiad stuff well will be picked over me every time for a maths/science degree.

But as for me? I'm hoping for maths, and I have my Maths Olympiad participation, summer courses that I did in maths in DCU, some programming and general reading of maths stuff like GEB that I did myself, and a pilot programme where I did a full semester with the undergrads there in TY in Applied Physics and got a 1.1. And obviously I'm putting in a bit of some more general stuff, rowing competitions, all my drama stuff... its so hard to fit stuff in the personal statement!

What about you? I'm guessing you're also going for Cambridge? You got your personal statement done, stress and a half to write them, and in for six weeks time or so :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Came in to find my French teacher retired woohoo :rolleyes: not that it matters to me, I'm moving down (there's no way I could write a topic). Delighted for everyone else though, they might learn something :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

First day back today and bloody hate it already :mad: I'm sooo tired..
    Also I dunno if I'll do after school study or not :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Yeah, a few teachers from mine have decided to go on maternity leave starting on the first. :pac:

I have two gone on maternity leave, and our Maths teacher is the new Principal, so that's three new teachers! Stress!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I think I'm one of the only ones out of all my friends not affected by at least one teacher on maternity leave last year/this year :P I have one friend who has 2 teachers going on maternity leave this year and another one coming back from it! Huge baby boom in my school recently, it's mad!

My amazing biology teacher's back from her leave this Christmas. Her sub was absolute **** though! Same with the amazing history teacher's sub.

What's with swapping good teachers for bad ones? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Flabangav wrote: »
    I have two gone on maternity leave, and our Maths teacher is the new Principal, so that's three new teachers! Stress!! :rolleyes:

My french and maths teacher was kicked out :( Seriously going to fail the LC now..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Eoin Cunniffe 94

Absolutely dreading going 2moro literally on the verge of tears :/ I usually love going back but had a nightmare summer and in no way ready for this :/

• Registered Users Posts: 39 madigan94

Ugh today was tough............Still though I can always look on the brightside.....only 282 more days to go! Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Amount of homework on Friday and today is ridiculous . . .:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Amount of homework on Friday and today is ridiculous . . .:eek:

First proper day back and I had two hours homework, if the year is starting out like this I can't imagine what it'll be like in 2 months time!

Are you all planning on going to the open days? Hopefully, I'll go to UCC, NUIG and TCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

First day. Depression.
    Thanks to cut-backs we have no more study classes and the two honours English classes have been joined, so there are like 32 people in my English class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

First day. Depression.
    Thanks to cut-backs we have no more study classes and the two honours English classes have been joined, so there are like 32 people in my English class.

that must be really ****e, bad enough with 20

CV? I'm assuming you're reffering to the personal statement, you don't send a CV or anything.

But generally, their sole requirement is academic potential and interest in your degree (but to a very high level). Yeah, obviously they're looking for extra-curricular stuff, but mostly just things you can relate back to your degree. Drama if you want English Lit, Science Olympiad stuff if you want maths or a science, things like that. Like, I could do guitar and drama and rugby and all the rest, be pretty smart, but the guy who does maths olympiad stuff well will be picked over me every time for a maths/science degree.

But as for me? I'm hoping for maths, and I have my Maths Olympiad participation, summer courses that I did in maths in DCU, some programming and general reading of maths stuff like GEB that I did myself, and a pilot programme where I did a full semester with the undergrads there in TY in Applied Physics and got a 1.1. And obviously I'm putting in a bit of some more general stuff, rowing competitions, all my drama stuff... its so hard to fit stuff in the personal statement!

What about you? I'm guessing you're also going for Cambridge? You got your personal statement done, stress and a half to write them, and in for six weeks time or so :/
    I am planning on applying via UCAS but I'm not considering it all that seriously. I've done maths olympiad last year and I'll be doing it again this year but I didn't qualify for the team so I'm not sure if that's of much value. Doing STEP will be difficult too as it's on the same week as the leaving cert so I'll need some arrangmenets if I want to do that. And then there's the whole money issue. But yeah I'd love to do maths in cambridge.
    Edit: and yeah I mean EC stuff and a personal statement. I wish I had done TY now as I could have prepared better for the step, done a maths modelling course in limerick (didn't get in as there were 50 places and they took the older ones first - told me i was first reserve..) and perhaps even got on the irish maths olympiad team. Ah well, there's always post grad.
    Just wondering btw - how well did you do in the maths olympiad and how long have you been doing it? What college are you going to for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

LostLungs wrote: »
    Yeah, Homework is going to be a killer before we even get to start studying!! I got enough homework last year and that was in 5th year. Worrying times :O

haha i got the homework, i just didnt do it, and if i did- it was a half arsed attempt! i'll put effort in this year!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Embarass myself on the first day back: Check.

M&S* wrote: »

Whaaaaaaaaatttayyaaaa done now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

M&S* wrote: »

Whaaaaaaaaatttayyaaaa done now?
    I'm far too skeptical to say on this seeing as my entire year heard and I'd hate if someone was like omg you're in my year.
    Let's just say I proclaimed something that was supposed to stay in my mind! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Im back tomorrow and im absolutely dreading it !! :(
    Roll on summer 2k12 is all I say :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement