Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Moving to London" archive thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Hello,

I started a masters in Imperial at the beginning of October 2010 and had about three weeks to find somewhere to live. To be honest, it was an absolute nightmare. From my experience (and from other friends who have been living over here longer than me), Septermber is a horrible time for finding accomodation, probably because of the number of people starting university looking around.

We were flat out searching all day every day and it was really hard to find anything. It got to the point where any place that hadn't been put up in the previous couple of hours was gone! We had some ideas about where we wanted to live but in the end we had to be prepared to go anywhere in zone 2. I'm looking for a new place at the moment for early September and places(one bed flats) are few and far between in the areas we're looking.

That's been my experience so far. Hope you have more luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I'd suggest looking for something on the victoria line if you can as its fast and pretty reliable, finsbury park / highbury would seem to meet your needs, lots of rentals around finsbury park area too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I work near UCL and tbh my preferred way in from Kilburn is via the Overground to Euston. I'm not sure what the student population around here is like but it's worth checking out, as it has most of the things you're interested in. You may also want to consider Camden, which is on the Northern Line - a lot going on there, though it tends to be very busy at weekends (jammers with shoppers and tourists).

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Tottingham has great night life. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Have a look around N1 area, plenty of buses will drop you right outside UCL

Have a look at property here, suggest you line up views for the day you arrive.

If you are renting in Ireland, see if your landlord will give you a refernce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

LoanShark wrote: »
    Tottingham has great night life. :o

There are other fora where dis-engaging your brain before posting is a requirement. This ain't one of them.

If you want to enter a serious discussion about living in Tottenham, you're welcome to do it here. If however you want to make not particularly funny jokes about recent events like the weekend's riots, feel free to take it to AH.

Thanking you,
    Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Another poster mentioned Finsbury Park. That's where I'm living at the moment and quite like it. It's extremely handy for transport as you're on the Victoria and Picadilly lines, there's a massive bus station and it's only a short hop to two different branches of the overground. The letting agent we used were quite good - it's a small independent place and they own most of their properties so you don't have to pay any fees. PM me for details if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Thanks for all the advice guys! Really appreciate it. I think I am leaning most towards Islington at the moment but am going to be heading over in a few weeks to check a few places out and both it and Clapham are top of the list!

On the tube front I don't mind using it - I'd just rather not use it at rush hour. I am lacking in stature so my previous experiences of using the tube at the height of the morning rush involved having my nose shoved into garlic-y armpits and elbows to the head and overall a total battle to get to work/wherever it was I was going. So if I could avoid that I would. Outside of that I don't really mind using it. I heard of a friend of a friend that cycles from Islington to Victoria in about 20mins so I'd give that a shot.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression in my first post - I won't be totally on my own going over, my fella is coming too, so it should be a nice adventure for the two of us! I would agree with you all that say one has to make an effort to make friends in a new city- I moved around a lot as a kid so I know that if I am open to it and make an effort it should happen! I have a lot of interests here that I am hoping to keep up when I'm over there and am sure that they will be a great way to meet people too. I'm lucky also in that I know who I will be working with as there are a lot of us moving over so even though we might not hang out outside of work much its still a nice familiarity to have so not everything is totally new...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

If you go with Islington 38 or 73 bus will take you to Victoria.

Do what I do get up early and avoid rush hour on the tube

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

snowfinch wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice guys! Really appreciate it. I think I am leaning most towards Islington at the moment but am going to be heading over in a few weeks to check a few places out and both it and Clapham are top of the list!

I've just moved to Clapham North. Bit grimier than Clapham South but my girlfriend works nearby in Camberwell and I work in the City so it was kind of a compromise location. But it’s pretty lively and seems to meet most of your criteria.

If you were going to Victoria you can get the overground train there in 10 minutes and it's not too busy and you'd prob even get a seat. I on the other hand have to get the tube to Bank which is inhumanely horrific!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

^^ Get a sim card on e-bay. Three do a particularly good deal on pay as you go. £15 for 300 minutes, 3000 texts and unlimited data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Golden3333

Thanks for all your suggestions. You have given us some good places to start looking. Hopefully it won't be too much of a nightmare trying to find somewhere decent in September! Couldn't really move over any earlier though as I need all the earnings I can get here before we go!
    When searching for properties, have people had more luck with Gumtree, letting agents or sites such as zoopla etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

I would recommend a mixture of researching availability and price levels on websites and talking directly to letting agents in the areas that you think are suitable for you.
    My personal favourite is rightmove.co.uk, also gives you an idea of who the letting agents are in each area, so you get a feel for what is available and then you can give agents more precise information when you go and talk to them.
    Not a fan of gumtree at all, find it quite messy and lots of doubling up of adds etc. But this might be just me :-)

Good luck with the search and the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Best luck with gumtree, and agents. Also rightmove.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Golden3333 wrote: »
    One area I was looking at online was Bow...
    Caution is advised – I’m not sure Bow is the nicest part of the city. I’ve not been, but I’ve not heard good things.

If you’re looking south of the river, you’ve got Kennington down to Clapham South all in Zone 2 and within about 20 minutes of Euston – plenty going on around there and a fine common too. Kennington is a little dodgy in places (towards the Elephant & Castle end).
    5unflower wrote: »
    My personal favourite is rightmove.co.uk...
    Yeah, rightmove is probably the best, although you do often come across properties that have long since been let, but left on the site to rope you in (to the letting agent, that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I bought a UK sim card but being based in Ireland (and thus not having a UK addressed credit card) I've not been able to topup my account.

Does anyone know a way around this?

How do I top a UK number (o2) from Ireland does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't think I can topup via that method without having a UK addressed credit card though can I?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dunno, try it.

Also some options here:
    http://www.o2.co.uk/topup

You can use facebook or ring 4444 from the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I got my new place through spareroom.co.uk, so might be worth checking that out too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Golden3333

Thanks for all the info guys, great to get your opinions! Nervousness is slowly giving way to excitement about the move now! 4 more weeks to go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tucked

Unfortunately you are going at a bad time, students pretty much take everything going as I discovered this time last year. One word of caution about Gumtree, it goes through periods of having scam ads for lettings. They are obvious when you see them, they offer fantastic places for ridiculously low rent. One other thing I noticed when I was looking, they're are certain agencies here who charge an upfront fee for their services before they will allow you to view their properties - do not use them! They advertise loads of flats so you will be tempted to pay but tell you they're all let when you want to view them. Its a scam basically. Check out loot.com as well, I got my place from it. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

hey sorry for delay in responding was away on holidays for a few weeks :)

congratulations!! things obviously worked out pretty well and quickly for you there! how is it? is it a big adjustment? do you like it so far?

I guess Australia or NZ are my favoured locations but may not work out in which case I will seriously consider London.

I will definitely be onto you for advice should I be coming over cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

no worries, yea i like it, but ihave to say its not all fine and dandy, its hard at first takes time. but thats life. im still goin through the motions, but im glad im here ,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

sure, like anywhere i suppose. i'm sure things will come together for you enjoy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

ligerdub wrote: »
    How do I top a UK number (o2) from Ireland does anyone know?

i remember i still had my irish no and i had to buy english cred i couldstill top up.

i think you have to wait till you move over as even if you get a uk sim in ireland your bound to have trouble with it.

Also ihad to unlock my phone too for it to accept the uk number.
    Alternatively jus buy a new phone here.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chloe_coley

Ok.....so...I'm a 24 year old female moving to London in the next couple of weeks....I'd rather not think about the utter chaos that lies ahead....getting a job,place to live...etc...my question is....how do I get in touch with other young Irish in London?? I think the stress would be less if I could have a few pints with some natives at the end of it all... :) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well there is a London Forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1406
    that has meet ups etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Moved to the London forum.

Good luck with the move - keep an eye on the forum for the next beers (sometime in September).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement