Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The super duper retro gaming review thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Must give that violinist game a go, heard it's great.

It's a personal favourite of mine, always had a soft spot for that game. Kid Clown in Crazy Chase too, mainly because in an odd way it reminded me of Rolling Ronny on the C64 (incidentally also home to one of the catchiest and best C64 soundtracks). :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Its the game that hates me(and yet I strangely love it!)
    Kings Field

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going to sit down and watch this. Very interested in playing it seeing as it's the spiritual predecessor to Demon's Souls. Also did you know that the english version of Kings Field is actually the second game in the series. First game was japan only but was fan translated.

I'm going to sit down and watch this. Very interested in playing it seeing as it's the spiritual predecessor to Demon's Souls. Also did you know that the english version of Kings Field is actually the second game in the series. First game was japan only but was fan translated.
    I did indeed .
    I never knew though that Kings field (or KFIIin japan ) got an EU release (only found that out recently enough)
    Why do I like this game when it wants to hurt me so bad? I just dont know.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have to disagree with Demon's souls being unfair. The game is perfectly fair and balanced and all deaths are the players fault in that game. It's tough but fair. The media just blew the difficlty of that game way out of proportion. Kings Field combat looks ropey as hell but can see myself enjoying it.

• Advertisement

My review of Majyuuou:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/10/majyuuou-king-of-demons.html

One of the best and least known SNES game and one of the best looking games on the system. Well worth playing. Also have initial impressions of Xenoblade up but it's not exactly retro.

Majuuou+%2528J%2529+%255BT%252BEng%255D+3.png

Right ..about a month later than I planned but part II of the batman retrospective is up on gamersireland
    http://www.gamersireland.ie/?p=11000

and Gynoug!!
    A lovely shooter thats well worth checking out!

I love Gynoug, great review.

One interesting thing to point out about the game is when in the first level when the ground starts to move. Most people credit Gunstar Heroes or Chuck Rock 2: Son of Chuck with having the first example of limited playfield rotation on the megadrive but Gynoug actually got there first. Nobody noticed that Masay had used the background offset function of the megadrive to create limited rotation and it was only rediscovered 2 years later. Techie but I think interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cool review luas thanks. Must give that game some time. That level four you showed reminded me of the ship levels in Turrican 2, awesome game that.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

You convinced me to get one already from what you have said on this forum. Now I only need some games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's such a shame the screen isn't backlit to look like those screenshots!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    You convinced me to get one already from what you have said on this forum. Now I only need some games.

As I said, there's some good bundles out there. It's the best place to start.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    It's such a shame the screen isn't backlit to look like those screenshots!

Yeah I know, i looks gorgeous when you've got the sun shining on it and you've got a good angle but when does that ever happen in this country :) At the moment I have to angle the desk lamp to see it properly or play it on the bus up to Sarah's which works quite well.

One thing I've noticed when taking those pictures is that the emulators for the machine are absolutely terrible. There was no option to turn off the rancid bilinear filtering or to even take screenshots so I had to print screen and then crop them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've been wanting one for the longest time, but the scarcity and expense of the lighting solutions keep putting me off. The worm light looks handy enough and cost-effective, but try sourcing that baby, and I don't know of anyone in Europe offering the GBA SP screen-swap mod.

The screen swap mod looks really difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The screen swap mod looks really difficult.

It looks tricky indeed, & the risk to the console & screen is high.

Yep I was looking at it and every part had a note 'make sure not to touch this with your finger otherwise it's ****ed!'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

EnterNow wrote: »
    It looks tricky indeed, & the risk to the console & screen is high.

Fancy the challenge? Do Retro's first, of course. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Fancy the challenge?

Nope :)

• Advertisement

Review of the excellent Project Zero:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/10/project-zerofatal-frame-october.html

Also not really retro but a review of Catherine, if you haven't bought it then you really should try and change that!

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/10/catherine.html

Fatal Labyrinth! Sega's rogue a like .
    I like it but its a "marmite" game

oh and not gaming related but
    ANDROID VOICE RECOGNITION HATES DUBLIN ACCENTS!!!

Nice to see another Gravediggers fan :) Best pints of Guinness in Dublin.

If you want a slightly more playable megadrive Rogue-like then I'd recommend Toejam and Earl which most people don't realise is a rogue-like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

TJ?&E, as the true fans call it, is brilliant, an early MD release and still marvelous.
    What is almost as great is TJ&E3 on the Xbox, a game that miraculously manages to dodge the "games by committee" and produce a great update to the original, aside from the "Poochy"-alike extra character.
    I picked it up for about €8 in 3D-Games back when it was trading, a good deal I say.

something a bit different today..Tomytronic 3Ds!

Rule of Rose review:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/11/rule-of-rose.html

Dreadful combat and would have been better off as a straight up adventure game but as it stands the wonderful visuals and story make it well worth playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I've posted my 'short but to the point' Ibara review. You can also catch a sneak peek at my blog by clicking the link below.

I'm still building it so excuse the mess!

http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk/blogs/?p=83

This week its Micro Machines grandad..Rally Speedway!
    (Warning! contains cough bottle fueled rambling about 8 bit computing in 80's Dublin)

• Advertisement

Ys 1 and 2 Chronicles review. Excellent remake of 2 classic games:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/11/ys-1-2-chronicles.html

Advertisement