Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graffiti vandalism or art?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

wild_cat wrote: »

There are plenty of other artists out there twice as good btw.

only twice ?? going by some of his work he is average at best, I shake my head when ever i hear some one wants to be like him , it's like the people that want to be a singer not because they can sing but because they want to be famous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

there was a good programme on 4od about graffiti in the last week or two cant remember the name of the programme though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

only twice ?? going by some of his work he is average at best, I shake my head when ever i hear some one wants to be like him , it's like the people that want to be a singer not because they can sing but because they want to be famous

Banksy got more attention for where he was willing to paint and his ripped off political themes than the actual quality of his work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

So a typical banksy thing:
    1) take a pillar of society = royal family, police, politicians etc.

I wouldn't consider any of them pillars of society.

Unfortunately that's been painted over to advertise the Merchant's Yard car boot sale. It's a real shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Can I just say that, Graffiti is an Art.

Also , that film 'Exit Through The Gift Shop' is an excellent film. And I suggest watching it if you have not seen it. Even if you not like Graffiti or Street Art it's extremely interesting.

Loved this Quote; (spoiler if you have not watched it)..
    Banksy : 'Uhmmm... You know... it was at that point that I realized that maybe Thierry wasn't actually a film maker, and he was maybe just someone with mental problems who happened to have a camera.'
    Unfortunately that's been painted over to advertise the Merchant's Yard car boot sale. It's a real shame.

Painted over badly, at that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Probably by the people who own the wall and are therefore perfectly entitled to do so.

If the "artist" wanted it to stay then they should have painted it on the gable end of their own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

there was a good programme on 4od about graffiti in the last week or two cant remember the name of the programme though

Graffiti Wars

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Graffiti Wars

Anyone have a link to another source, 40D is not showing it anymore. Want to get a look at it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

There is an argument that it could be considered one of the purer art forms left as it traditionally generates neither renown nor profit for the artist, and therefore is produced purely for it's inherent artistic merit, whereas more traditional art forms are frequently produced, at least in part, as saleable products or for that god awful concept 'fame'.

I'd parrot the previous statements of people in relation to 'tagging' being a heap of donkey ****e.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

What soon pleases soon palls. If something is tedious after 2 minutes it's rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Some of the memorials in belfast are/were excellent.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Probably by the people who own the wall and are therefore perfectly entitled to do so.

Probably. However legal concepts like ownership of a temporary wooden barrier don't really affect how aesthetically pleasing something is. Not for me anyway.
    If the "artist" wanted it to stay then they should have painted it on the gable end of their own house.

But then he wouldn't have raised money for the Simon Community. He, along with Damien Dempsey who supplied the lyrics for the project, got permission to use the space and for it not to be painted over straight away, but the owners obviously decided to use it as ad space afterwards.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Art is charm as with anything that gives feelgood.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Magill wrote: »
    Some of the memorials in belfast are/were excellent.

Don't think you could class them as graffiti though, but yeah some of them really are spectacularly well done

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Mural_-_Battle_of_the_bogside_2004_SMC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

theres some fella in sligo goes by the name of PAT had some brilliant pieces around the town, there dosnt seem to be as much by him any more, which is a shame because it was quality work.

paris and new york would be the best. used to love going on the metro just to look at the graffiti

did he do the graffitie out the strandhill road under the train tracks on the left , it of old guy or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

when its properly done or some kind of intelligent comment on society (ala banksy) - art

when its tagging, anti war/goverment/religion or anarchist type shít , then its vandalism

when its properly done or some kind of intelligent comment on society (ala banksy) - art

when its tagging, anti war/goverment/religion or anarchist type shít , then its vandalism

So it's art when you agree with it and vandalism when you don't? And if graffiti about politics and religion isn't social commentary then what on earth is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

So it's art when you agree with it and vandalism when you don't? And if graffiti about politics and religion isn't social commentary then what on earth is?

best reply ive ever read on boards :D

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

I really think that some insight into graffiti may be needed, as some see it as vandalism and some see it as art. Graffiti is usually known as art if it is a commission piece. Even if someone paints a very elaborate, beautiful piece illegally, it is still known as vandalism.

There are many different parts to graffiti, if you write graffiti, you're known as a writer. A writer wants to get his name all over the place, so the general public and other writers can see it too, as the graffiti community is somewhat a clique, as most writers who are up know each other.

The goal of the writer is to be up, as in well known. In order to get up, a writer must tag, bomb, piece, paste or whatever else to get his/her name out there.

A writer would have their own tag (a signature of their name), their own bomb (two letters from their name sprayed in bubble letters, for example if I wrote TAG, my bomb could be TG or any combination of those three letters), a piece (which could be as simple or as complex as you like)

I'm just trying to give everyone a general jest of things as there's some stuff I've probably left out because I could be here for hours typing...

In short, as I said at the start, graffiti itself is essentially vandalism as the writer has not sought the permission of the owner of the surface to write upon, even if it was a beautiful piece full of colour, shading, 3D etc, it's still illegal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭pennypocket

There's always going to be 'art' you don't like in the public sphere, everything from architecture (witness the monstrosity that is Hawkins House), publicly commissioned sculpture (ala Anna Livia) to JC Decaux billboards (refer to deal done for the Dublin bike scheme. . .)

Personally I love graffiti. It brings the privately held property sphere back into public ownership. It's our city, our streets, we should decorate them how we want to; especially the empty, boarded-up two-fúcks to society voids that currently obliterate our post-nama urban spaces.

A few favourites:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dirko/5646213430/
    (Notice the empty shell of the Anglo Irish office building in the background).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lunapark/736627237/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluejake/2140742518/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭una_profesora

Art, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Personally I love graffiti. It brings the privately held property sphere back into public ownership.

Can I draw funny pictures on the walls of your house? Or just put my name in huge letters?

Then I'll be accepted as an artist and bag me a Fade Street girl.

Advertisement