Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graffiti vandalism or art?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

so here is my question , is graffiti vandalism or art? whats your thoughts?

my personal opion is i myself have been part of several graffiti operations in different places (cant say were for legal reasons)
    so i like to see the odd tag and such here and there :P

altmario-7.jpg
    not my work just a pic of the net :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I'll give you a third option: Maser. F*cking annoying at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Hard to generalise all graffiti. It depends on the location, content and the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Good graffiti is worth looking at, but if you're just spraying a poorly designed representation of your own name then fúck off. 99% of all graffiti in Ireland is bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I will also go with f**king annoying option. Sorry OP, but 99% of graffiti in Dublin is an absolute eyesore, stupid tags or skangers drawing on buildings/walls/public spaces. The 1% may be very good, but if I had an "all or none" option, it would be none cause the vast majority is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Graffiti can be brilliant, I would consider quite a bit of it art.

Tagging is ****ing moronic.

People seem to mix the two up or consider them the same thing, shame really.

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/used-to-have-art-20110503-113826.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I don't mind well drawn pictures.
    Its the "Bullitz woz ere" or "Sharon loves John 4eva"
    that I have a problem with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

It's all art. Most of it's shìt art though

Graffiti can be brilliant, I would consider quite a bit of it art.

Tagging is ****ing moronic.

People seem to mix the two up or consider them the same thing, shame really.

:confused: eh, isn't tagging a form of graffiti?

When I was in Valencia, I would walk around the streets and get lost to discover some absolutely amazing graffiti. However, most of the time we get "x is gay!" or "y wuz 'ere"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

The odd time you'll see one really good, inspired piece some where. THe rest of the time it's just bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

later10 wrote: »
    I'll give you a third option: Maser. F*cking annoying at this stage.

They produce electromagnetic waves?

hmm well they could build a wall and use their own damn wall :mad: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If it's commissioned or requested, then it's art.

If it's just "done" by the artist on a permanent structure, then it's vandalism, by virtue of it - regardless of artistic merit or otherwise - involving defacing someone else's property.

If it looks good I don't have an issue with it on temporary hoarding - e.g. the panels that fence off unfinished building sites, etc.

The "tagging" ****e is just blatant defacement of property, signs, bridges, etc. Buy a f**king sketchpad and stop trying to make yourself feel important and "famous".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Very good documentary about graffiti directed by banksy. Yes its art.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

when i lived in amsterdam there was a dude called lazer who had motivational sayings sprayed onto building site hoardings it really cheered me up sometimes.
    Some is art, Some is just ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

I will also go with f**king annoying option. Sorry OP, but 99% of graffiti in Dublin is an absolute eyesore, stupid tags or skangers drawing on buildings/walls/public spaces. The 1% may be very good, but if I had an "all or none" option, it would be none cause the vast majority is awful.

hmmm interest i agree on the 99% being eyesore , im living in sligo (reviling my id is very risky) but my friend and his cousin are great at it...:D

falan wrote: »

Banksy sucks. He may have had a few nice thoughts at the start, but for the last couple of years, he is as graffiti-ish as a topshop billboard. He is now just a commercial gimmick and has turned some nice original ideas into family guy style imagery, take random imagery into something shocking.

So a typical banksy thing:
    1) take a pillar of society = royal family, police, politicians etc.
    2) put something crazy there for a pop culture political reference :rolleyes: = the queen as Fagan in Oliver Twist, the police kissing, the house of commons as a ghetto
    3) profit

hmmm interest i agree on the 99% being eyesore , im living in sligo (reviling my id is very risky) but my friend and his cousin are great at it...:D

Well anything you and your cousin do is bound to be artistic when it comes to the background that is Sligo town :p

Kidding, good luck with it, but no law breaking mister! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

On the painter's own wall, possibly art. On mine, vandalism.

Well anything you and your cousin do is bound to be artistic when it comes to the background that is Sligo town :p

law breaker me? never ;):D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Your ID would only be "reviled" if it were a so-called "tag" defacing someone else's property.

• Advertisement

law breaking??? , me?? :eek: never:D

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Your ID would only be "reviled" if it were a so-called "tag" defacing someone else's property.

hmmm you got a good point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

They produce electromagnetic waves?
    Maser is a Dublin graffiti artist who imitates genuinely talented graffiti artists and collaborates with *actual* artists to reproduce their words.

Vogue Wilson shagged him, that should be telling enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Similar thread in communication & Transport forum a few years ago.. :p

Graffiti, is it an art or just vandalism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Some graffiti can be absolutely amazing and make an area look so much better. Well done graffiti should be admired and respected as any other for of art would be.

However poorly scrawled messages or names on a wall just make the area look like crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Some Graffiti = Art

Some Graffiti = Vandalism

/Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

falan wrote: »

Great documentary.
    Pretty hilarious listening to the rich folks crawling over each other to get some of his work after he became 'famous' and was great to see that almost anyone can become a modern artist once you have the right connections.

Recognition through repetition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Creative Vandalism.

Advertisement