Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graffiti vandalism or art?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

so here is my question , is graffiti vandalism or art? whats your thoughts?

my personal opion is i myself have been part of several graffiti operations in different places (cant say were for legal reasons)
    so i like to see the odd tag and such here and there :P

altmario-7.jpg
    not my work just a pic of the net :D

Pure vandalism, if you want it considered as art build your own walls and then try to sell them.

Total wasters who could put their 'skills' to better use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Pure vandalism, if you want it considered as art build your own walls and then try to sell them.

Total wasters who could put their 'skills' to better use.

I personaly think that it looks good on a wall in a town or something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's vandalism. Even if it's well done it's still vandalism unless you have permission to do it.

What I really hate is when morons go to a really beautiful scenic place and write nonsense everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

depends of the graffiti, if its just some young one and who she loves that weekend then its vandalism. theres a car park in cork that is wall to wall graffiti and it really brightens the place up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Agree it's generally vandalism, but would add that typically it's a narcissistic idiot's way of stating 'hey, look at me, I'm great aren't I?'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

A lot of mischief resides comfortably in the twilight zone of meanings these days.The real problem is that one sector of society enjoys annoying the other and it's not lost to the marketing execs. around fitzwilliam square where a lot of our problems are nurtured.Everthing is designed to annoy.

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Agree it's generally vandalism, but would add that typically it's a narcissistic idiot's way of stating 'hey, look at me, I'm great aren't I?'!

agree 100% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Don't really like graffiti myself, but I wouldn't be pissed off about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

so here is my question , is graffiti vandalism or art?

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Graffiti? Art with a capital F.

haha i like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If the owner of the wall grants permission and there's no planning issue then it's not vandalism in any way. I've seen loads of good commissions over the years. Any kind of tagging is utter shíte tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It can be both.

One thing that has been bugging me lately is people complaining about famous pieces being painted over or damaged. It's a case of tough ****, you put your art in a public space or on someone elses property...**** happens.

There are some truly amazing graff artists out there though and i very much admire and appreciate what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jakobgallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Most of it is utter shite tbh. Although there are the odd exceptions, pretty much just Banksy, from what I can see in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Hate it with a passion. If graffiti artists think their work has value then why not put it on canvas and sell it from a gallery? At least that way I don't have it making my city look like a creche on finger painting day.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

OldGoat wrote: »
    Hate it with a passion. If graffiti artists think their work has value then why not put it on canvas and sell it from a gallery? At least that way I don't have it making my city look like a creche on finger painting day.

Not all art is made to be sold. I thought that'd be fairly obvious from the medium/context of graffiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Most of it in Dublin is pretty ****. In Melbourne at the moment and there's some amazing stuff on the walls. All along the train line too. Seen a nice piece on a city wall in Sydney a few times which would be painted over then graffiti again. Eventually it was just left there accompanied by the line 'they keep painting - we keep painting', made me laugh.
    Was very well done though. Wouldn't mind it on the side of my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I like the guys who do pictures like space and planets and other work with their spray cans.
    You can meet them around Dublin and buy from them.
    Now they are artists.

Very rare you'll find graffiti of quality, it does exist but mostly the locals are just tagging their names.
    **** off, it's not as if they'd do that on their own property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Scribblers and taggers p*ss me off but good graffiti I admire for the artistic qualities

Roa Blows my mind.... Amazing stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Can you check that link?
    Doesn't seem to be working and I'd like to check Roa out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

theres some fella in sligo goes by the name of PAT had some brilliant pieces around the town, there dosnt seem to be as much by him any more, which is a shame because it was quality work.

paris and new york would be the best. used to love going on the metro just to look at the graffiti

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's only not vandalism if it's been requested by the owner of the property it appears on. Anything else, regardless of artistic merit, is vandalism.

And 95% of graffitti is complete and utter sh(te. Tagging in particular does my head in. I really think we should fine any tagger caught thousands (AND force them to clean off every bit of their own cr&p themselves).

All that said, done right it can be really beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

Simple as this do it on your own wall art, do it on someone elses vandalism,

This coming from someone who admires street art, Geuninely do, But if some fecker called Spud tagged my wall id be rippen

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

mikemac wrote: »
    Can you check that link?
    Doesn't seem to be working and I'd like to check Roa out

Sorry, should be working now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I quite like it.

I don't like tags but unfortunately they have to start out somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

bluto63 wrote: »
    Most of it is utter shite tbh. Although there are the odd exceptions, pretty much just Banksy, from what I can see in this thread.

Just Banksy....

So as long as its fashionable and wanted by celebrities it's ok?

There are plenty of other artists out there twice as good btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Banksy sucks.
    Banksy is not a graffiti artist he is a stenciler iirc he works in stens coz his drawing skills are not the best (tbh nither are his stens)

Graff is art, but on some one elses building it is vandalisim , tagging is not art it's some one out trying to get a buzz or boost their ego , it makes me sick when i see it on privite walls or historic buildings :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭jimw1988

Advertisement