Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti, is it an art or just vandalism?

Options
  • 12-07-2009 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I thought that I should start a fresh thread on this subject as I thought best not to hijack the thread on 25th anniversary of Dart.

Graffiti is probably the bain of almost every transit company in the world including IR/Dart. Although it is very rare to see a train "tagged" in Ireland unless it has been left abandoned for some time in some yard or siding.

I mentioned in an other thread that much of the Graffiti is not on IR or Dart property, such as Blackrock baths, various exterior walls and factory gable ends that are backed up on to the railway.

I have seen some amassing examples of Graffiti in on the Continent, particularly the Netherlands, Australia and the US. If its done right it can look quite spectacular, if its amateurish can be just an eyesore. I am a great fan of the London artist Banksy and have seen some of his work.

The following link gives some of examples of track side Graffiti around Dublin.
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MID=367137231&MemberId=2135053794

Graffiti. is it art or just vandalism? 103 votes

It is nothing but vandalism and there should be a zero tolerance.
    0% 0 votes
    If it is done right it can be a form of art and should be respected.
    42% 44 votes
    The coal carriage doesn’t work.
    57% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Well it is definitely vandalism. The people doing it have no authorisation to alter the train's appearance. Quite often the vandals don't let a window get in the way of their painting and cover the thing over.

As for it being art, well a lot of it requires skill and can be aesthetically pleasing. But who is to be the judge of that? There is as much rubbish as there is skilled painting.

So the only thing to do is to try to eradicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It is vandalism...however it can be art if there is meaning behind it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

kmart6 wrote: »
    It is vandalism...however it can be art if there is meaning behind it!

It's can be both. Mostly it is just vandalism. But sometimes it is art of the highest calling and deserves respect.

Fact is, that it is the oldest human artform.

cave_painting_l.jpg

This is the cave paintings of today:

graffiti_street_art_007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It's can be both.

That's what I said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭booyah1024

graffiti is art.

graffiti is vandalism when it's done on non-authorised property.

tagging is not graffiti, it's just **** and is vandalism as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I thought that I should start a fresh thread on this subject as I thought best not to hijack the thread on 25th anniversary of Dart.

Graffiti is probably the bain of almost every transit company in the world including IR/Dart. Although it is very rare to see a train "tagged" in Ireland unless it has been left abandoned for some time in some yard or siding.

I mentioned in an other thread that much of the Graffiti is not on IR or Dart property, such as Blackrock baths, various exterior walls and factory gable ends that are backed up on to the railway.

I have seen some amassing examples of Graffiti in on the Continent, particularly the Netherlands, Australia and the US. If its done right it can look quite spectacular, if its amateurish can be just an eyesore. I am a great fan of the London artist Banksy and have seen some of his work.

The following link gives some of examples of track side Graffiti around Dublin.
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MID=367137231&MemberId=2135053794

Some of the comments on that Bebo link say enough for me about the mentality of the illiterate pond life who are defacing Ireland. It must take a lot of effort for some of them to manage to stand on their hind legs let alone spray paint on something. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I'm inclined to agree with Nostradamus example in the case of his display being art. Tagging is not art, its just someone scribbling their name up, although depending on the style, it can be artistic.

But generally, I think its vandalism where its not officially wanted or sanctioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

If it's good- art
    If it's bad - vandalism

Where's the line? It's all opinion. However imo I believe tagging is sh1t but well thought out pieces of graffitti can be awe inspiring and improve the look of a very banal wall/train.
    Its a very grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Poll perhaps?

IMO its just vandalism now matter how good it is.
    Even that banksy guy should be done for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Poll perhaps?.
    Done.
    IMO its just vandalism now matter how good it is.
    Even that banksy guy should be done for it.
    Wesrminister County council made a big mistake removing one of Banksy's masterpieces from a wall opposite the GPO. It wasn't even on county council property. It became a tourist attraction over night until it was removed because it was an embarrisment. Some of Banksy work has fetehed thusands.

b3a772431a77077ad67bfb3add89d4fb.jpg

More of Banksys work.
    http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/m_bcd056a9c6697659ab2a0120b86b4b1c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm%3Ffuseaction%3Duser.viewPicture%26friendID%3D191247870%26albumId%3D1427683&usg=__IHRBGzw2kHtpaGcDOv5LI94R_c0=&h=168&w=170&sz=9&hl=en&start=10&um=1&tbnid=apHeQGkLE3nPoM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbamksy%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R2ADBF_en%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Vandalism and art are not mutually exclusive. As far as I'm concerned there should be zero tolerance of unauthorised graffiti regardless of whether it is of sufficient quality or subject to truly be art. Indeed "authorised" graffiti if there is such a thing can't even just be permission from a building owner - it would need to adhere to any regulations there might be.

Ignoring "minor" law breaking such as graffiti merely encourages lawlessness. At the very least it should be regularly eradicated, as anywhere with graffiti tends to attract more - just as litter attracts more litter (one part of the puzzle in cleaning up our filthy country would be more prevalent and systematic council clean-up, some litterers at least will be less likely to drop litter on a clean street than one with mountains of litter on it already).

I used to skateboard on the main road and footpath, The authorities couldn't do much to stop me because there was no where else to practice. It was not until the local councils started to build official skateboard parks that they could strictly enforce the law. Likewise with graffiti, if they designated similar areas where artists could work away they could concentrate on preventing them using unauthorized places. Blackrock Baths would be an ideal location because the building itself is an eyesore and I cannot see too much being done with it in the immediate future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I used to skateboard on the main road and footpath, The authorities couldn't do much to stop me because there was no where else to practice. It was not until the local councils started to build official skateboard parks that they could strictly enforce the law. Likewise with graffiti, if they designated similar areas where artists could work away they could concentrate on preventing them using unauthorized places. Blackrock Baths would be an ideal location because the building itself is an eyesore and I cannot see too much being done with it in the immediate future.

Not sure I follow that logic. I used to murder people in random locations and there wasn't much the authorities could do to stop me because they hadn't designated a specific "murder zone". If they did, I'd do all my murdering there and they could strictly enforce the law elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

its much easier to get forgiveness then it is to get permission......

some graffiti is art some isnt when i was 15 we went through a stage of tagging! some gomie i was lol

but i can do a fair decent dub aswell which i consider personally to be quite good, on shop shutters after being asked and paid to do lol,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

MOH wrote: »
    Not sure I follow that logic. I used to murder people in random locations and there wasn't much the authorities could do to stop me because they hadn't designated a specific "murder zone". If they did, I'd do all my murdering there and they could strictly enforce the law elsewhere.

I think comparing Skateboarding\Graffiti to Murder is a bit OTT :rolleyes:.. I totally agree that they should assign designated areas for some of these 'artists' to show off their talent.. I personally love Banksy's work (going to head over to Bristol for his exhibition) as its thought provoking and can be hilarious at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Graffiti is definitely an art if done properly. However, the biggest problem with graffiti is its placement - along the Dart line, there are many good works of Graffiti, but on many occasions, the lettering is either too small (not using the entire canvas - full wall height) or very poorly placed (too high on the wall for example) so that it doesn't fit in properly with its surrounds. IMO, a very good example of graffiti done well is the large "CISTO" logo located at the train marshalling yard south of pearse station. The "DCW" logo (same location) also looks good, especially with the use of a blue background to blend it in.

What do others think?

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

graffiti_street_art_007.jpg

WOW!

That's deadly man!!! :D

WOW!

That's deadly man!!! :D

Yeah, but it's no good unless it is daubed over a Martello tower or some other relic of British oppression - or the gable end of a private house! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Same as most people I think it's both. When Smithfield was being redeveloped a lot of graffiti was done on the hoarding surrounding the main square....not sure if it was official or not but some of the art was really good. As RTDH said there should be some places made available for graffitti but because it has an underground element to it I can't see it happening.

Tagging on the other hand is just vandalism and anyone caught spraying 'Anto woz ere' or anything along those lines deserve a hefty fine.

This piece - apparently from a Dail speech by 'gormless' Gormley when he was in opposition - the lack of follow through says it all about the Greens in Government!

Green Party stokes Graffiti hysteria and calls for repressive measures
    national | environment | feature Friday June 16, 2006 10:49 by Noise Hacker Indymedia
    Is the writing on the wall for Graffiti? Green Party T.D. John Gormley has called for sweeping measures to stop the “serious problem” of graffiti. Namely:
    The introduction of specific legislation to deal with the offence of graffiti/street art
    The establishment of a Special Garda Graffiti Unit to target artists
    Rewards to be offered for tip-offs on Taggers
    Community service orders
    A Graffiti Hotline
    Revoking the driving licences of graffiti artists
    Banning the sale of spray paint to minors as well as banning the possession of spray paint in public place.
    “If you want to know what is actually occurring inside, underneath, at the center, at any given moment, art is a truer guide than politics, more often than not.” - Percy Windham Lewis (1884-1957)
    Deputy Gormley also asked “why have we seen an upsurge in graffiti throughout Dublin? We cannot afford to underestimate the extent of this problem.”
    In response to Mr. Gormley, Justice Minister Mr. McDowell (standing in for his colleague the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, Deputy Roche) replied, “The constituency Deputy Gormley and I share has been under sustained attack in recent times. It seems to be spreading everywhere.” He also went on to say “Somebody, on doing a little research, should be able to track down where the major sales of spray paint are taking place and to whom it is being sold.”
    Transcription of Dail Eireann Speech on Graffiti (8 Jun 2006)
    http://www.greenparty.ie/en/in_the_dail/speeches/8_jun_...ffiti

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

booyah1024 wrote: »
    graffiti is art.

graffiti is vandalism when it's done on non-authorised property.

tagging is not graffiti, it's just **** and is vandalism as well.

My thoughts exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I love good graffiti. You rarely see it in Dublin though, Grift tags are rubbish. And even if there's too much good graffiti it can still make a place look like a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He also went on to say “Somebody, on doing a little research, should be able to track down where the major sales of spray paint are taking place and to whom it is being sold.”
    Maybe 10 years ago, but I'd say a good few people find it cheaper to get their paint online now.

This piece - apparently from a Dail speech by 'gormless' Gormley when he was in opposition - the lack of follow through says it all about the Greens in Government!

Green Party stokes Graffiti hysteria and calls for repressive measures
    national | environment | feature Friday June 16, 2006 10:49 by Noise Hacker Indymedia
    Is the writing on the wall for Graffiti? Green Party T.D. John Gormley has called for sweeping measures to stop the “serious problem” of graffiti. Namely:
    The introduction of specific legislation to deal with the offence of graffiti/street art
    The establishment of a Special Garda Graffiti Unit to target artists
    Rewards to be offered for tip-offs on Taggers
    Community service orders
    A Graffiti Hotline
    Revoking the driving licences of graffiti artists
    Banning the sale of spray paint to minors as well as banning the possession of spray paint in public place.
    “If you want to know what is actually occurring inside, underneath, at the center, at any given moment, art is a truer guide than politics, more often than not.” - Percy Windham Lewis (1884-1957)
    Deputy Gormley also asked “why have we seen an upsurge in graffiti throughout Dublin? We cannot afford to underestimate the extent of this problem.”
    In response to Mr. Gormley, Justice Minister Mr. McDowell (standing in for his colleague the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, Deputy Roche) replied, “The constituency Deputy Gormley and I share has been under sustained attack in recent times. It seems to be spreading everywhere.” He also went on to say “Somebody, on doing a little research, should be able to track down where the major sales of spray paint are taking place and to whom it is being sold.”
    Transcription of Dail Eireann Speech on Graffiti (8 Jun 2006)
    http://www.greenparty.ie/en/in_the_dail/speeches/8_jun_...ffiti

The recent local elections showed up the true colours of these guys. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 heone

to be honest i think this thread is pointless, whether you argue about whether it's art or vandalism or not it's still going to get done, all you can do really is clean as much of it as you can and hope it doesn't come back. most writers find it hilarious that people get so touchy about the subject and do it more to piss yous all off.
    personally i think it's hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

heone wrote: »
    to be honest i think this thread is pointless, whether you argue about whether it's art or vandalism or not it's still going to get done
    False. Would you like a before and after?
    1.jpg
    img_3886.jpg

And they never reverted, up until their retirement. Their successors did not fall victim to that mess either.
    heone wrote: »
    all you can do really is clean as much of it as you can and hope it doesn't come back. most writers find it hilarious that people get so touchy about the subject and do it more to piss yous all off.
    personally i think it's hilarious
    That's because you are immature and have not grown up yet. When a backlash comes, it's usually not of the very pleasant variety. The above example is of the pleasant variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Even when it's bad it's good. I can read a poorly scrawled name whereas there's no satisfaction in looking at a blank wall unless I've just cleaned it for some reason.

Every mark is a record of person, time, place and is unique. I'm often grateful to the people that scrawled their names somewhere because it might set me off on a daydream as to who that person is and the situation in which they chose to write their name down.

Especially sitting on a train or stuck in traffic under a flyover. The other day in traffic on the Athlone bypass I got stuck under a bridge which was built around the late 80s/90s. I'd never seen the underneath of that bridge before but it was fun to see all the 90s-era metal bands names written.

This one is everywhere, brings me back 5012863428_ca89009890_z.jpg

Oh_Noes wrote: »

Especially sitting on a train or stuck in traffic under a flyover. The other day in traffic on the Athlone bypass I got stuck under a bridge which was built around the late 80s/90s. I'd never seen the underneath of that bridge before but it was fun to see all the 90s-era metal bands names written.

This one is everywhere, brings me back 5012863428_ca89009890_z.jpg
    I actually like Metallica, earlier stuff that is :p

Speaking earlier of the Green Party, "What's the difference between the Green Party and the Dart?" ans "they are both green but at least the Dart has seats" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm very much on the fence about this one. I recognise that we have laws for a reason and I feel that where a law is worth having, it should be enforced to the full. However, some of this graffiti clearly is art, which looks very appealing and is an asset to the immediate vicinity. I cite as examples Nostradamus'es example, plus some of what can be seen on that Bebo page.

While I accept that it would cause some level of subjectivity as to what is art and what is vandalism (though clearly a scrawled "Anto woz ere" or "Grift" would fall into the latter category), I wouldn't object to a change in legislation to allow for some post-incident judgement of any reported graffiti work and the retroactive legalisation of any acts of creating that work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

On public property, or on someone else's garden wall it may qualify as a work of art. On your own garden wall it is vandalism - subjective indeed !

Advertisement