Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawken-Mech Based FPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

Looks very interesting, loving the sound in it, very heavy thuds really making it feel you're in the driving seat of a monster vehicle.
    Was always fascinated by mechs in games and the odd games that had them like Planetside (some say it ruined it) or BF2142 loved killing in them and loved killing them, but i'd rather a game that wasn't all just mechs like Mechwarrior i'd imagine it gets dull after awhile being so confined and constricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

KilOit wrote: »
    Looks very interesting, loving the sound in it, very heavy thuds really making it feel you're in the driving seat of a monster vehicle.
    Was always fascinated by mechs in games and the odd games that had them like Planetside (some say it ruined it) or BF2142 loved killing in them and loved killing them, but i'd rather a game that wasn't all just mechs like Mechwarrior i'd imagine it gets dull after awhile being so confined and constricted.

From the looks of that video you wouldn't be restricted at all. You see them jumping and flying all over the place? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

Jaafa wrote: »
    From the looks of that video you wouldn't be restricted at all. You see them jumping and flying all over the place? :P

Yeah i agree, it's a very fast paced for a mech game, but i like the option to get out of the mech. guess this is squarely aimed at niche market, a lot of mech games you wouldn't hear of unless you're into mech games.

KilOit wrote: »
    Yeah i agree, it's a very fast paced for a mech game, but i like the option to get out of the mech. guess this is squarely aimed at niche market, a lot of mech games you wouldn't hear of unless you're into mech games.

True but I can see a lot of elements of standard FPS games in it so it should appeal to a wider audience. I mean I've only played one mech game before and that was years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hope to holy fúck they dont get sued by some jap firm like the MW5 team did. Problem with mechs is they all look the bloody same, so its hard not to step on toes(One above from a glance looked like the MW Vulture).

Through a series of events I managed to buy MW4 four times. And I'd buy it again. Awesome game. It was the first one I played, going back to 2/3 was a little crap after playing the more modern version.

Joystick is a must, but I have one of them so gg. Would prepurchase now if I could. Looking crisp.

With them speed deviling around the place I wonder will they have much of a range of weight classes, like MW had Daishi and Osiris', polar ends of the scale but each had their purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Came across this vid 2 weeks back, was very impressed.

I love the art style thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

for an indie game one has to wonder how they make the visuals so good? it also begs the question of what the hell are the big devs spending so much money on visuals for? any idea of a release this game looks insane

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

That does look excellent, reminded me of mechwarrior3 and to a lesser extent 4.

for an indie game one has to wonder how they make the visuals so good? it also begs the question of what the hell are the big devs spending so much money on visuals for? any idea of a release this game looks insane

They've licensed the unreal engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

what hawken uses unreal? if so its one of the better games ive seen running on it, either way there are plenty of games out there using a licensed engine and it doesnt seem to stop them having absurd dev costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

scale looks not much bigger than a truck.

And they're playing on Gamepads. No way is their aim that terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This was posted ages ago If I remember rightly.
    Just looks like a standard run and gun FPS but with a Mech POV,,,,, fast, strafing, hopping everywhere...nothing really to seperate it asides from it's visuals

Original thread here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056225238

SeantheMan wrote: »
    This was posted ages ago If I remember rightly.
    Just looks like a standard run and gun FPS but with a Mech POV,,,,, fast, strafing, hopping everywhere...nothing really to seperate it asides from it's visuals

Original thread here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056225238

In all fairness the style of play is not seen that much. The weapons are a lot different than your average as well. How many 'run and gun' FPS games does it really match up to?

Overheal wrote: »
    scale looks not much bigger than a truck.

Yeah, now that yoy say it. More exoskeleton than moving skyscraper.

Hope they build it for PC not console then port as is all to common. Site says they plan on covering all three.

i dont mind so long as it does go PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Overheal wrote: »
    i dont mind so long as it does go PC.
    Given that it's being built by an indie team using UDK I'm sure PC is the first port of call.

Excellent. Now: give me Vanquish!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks very cool

• Advertisement

The team has been in what the call 'stealth mode' for the last few months, working hard on the game. However they have recently released some new screenshots here http://www.forums.adhesivegames.com/viewtopic.php?p=2906#p2906

Also they've posted up some job offers, so here's hoping the game will get the talent it needs.

And another vid I don't remember seeing before. http://www.g4tv.com/videos/53603/Hawken-E3-Gameplay-Demo/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Coming in December as free-to-play.. Seems to be a lot of very decent looking free-to-play games coming out this year

http://kotaku.com/5882606/gorgeous-mech-shooter-hawken-arrives-free+to+play-in-december?tag=hawken

Good to hear, would have actually preferred to buy this one but either way I don't mind much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You can enlist for the Beta here

https://playhawken.com/?ref=uiim1mll

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You can enlist for the Beta here

https://playhawken.com/?ref=uiim1mll

Cool sneaking your referral link in there bro. Its boards policy to hilight this to others in a referral post.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,883 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just spotted this game today

the beta method is like a pyramid scheme
    mine is http://playhawken.com?ref=ScTnbek1

you sign up with that please and you link the link you get then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,883 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Advertisement