Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawken-Mech Based FPS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can I get this game in green please?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Got my tag registered when it was first opened up by just sending the email to 3 alt email accounts, might still be able to do that if you can't get 3 people. Hope the beta comes out soon looks pretty good.

I got my Alpha testing email, so time to try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Mechwarrior meets Unreal Tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cheers for that, got a code and looking forward to giving it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Just a reminder, the beta is live this weekend for people who have beta access.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hawken threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Servers seem to be totally backed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Jaafa wrote: »
    Servers seem to be totally backed up.

I've managed to get in a few games in, the trick is to keep trying to join the game, even if it tells you it cant make a connection. First impressions are great, game looks really good and plays pretty smooth. Much better than MW:O.

• Advertisement

anyone want a Beta Key?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

wouldnt say to no to one if youe got it spare man

code sent

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fagballs

If anyone is playing this game send me a friend request. Wanna play some siege with some people with brains because the beta event ends on the 14th. Callsign: TacticalPelican

• Registered Users Posts: 81,741 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd like a key

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MWO isnt up to scratch right now so would love to try out Hawken.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Overheal wrote: »
    I'd like a key

sent you one, got one and forgot to download register etc ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just bumping this to let people know that RPS are giving away beta keys for this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/20/ten-thousand-hawken-beta-keys-just-here/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I know we had a thread about it somewhere, but i am bad with boards search, sorry mods. :o

so it got in to open beta and i had pleasure to play today a bit and i have to say i experienced shock! :eek: It actually works and is a lot of fun! It does feel like you are operating a big ass clunky machine. the visuals are awesome too.

so far the people you play with dont look like complete dumbasses too. this is the first game where i see random people in team deathmatch stick together!!!! :eek: i **** you not, 5 of us were back to back and no one tried to leave the group as they knew they will get fried! I am playing the scout mech so i did jumped out of the group and tried falnking other teams where i would do jump in jump out run and get the feck out of there! it was a lot of fun! even if i did not killed anyone on one of those raids it usually was enough to weaken their group for my team mates to kill them.

so anyone else trying it out? its really damn good!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Merged. :o

• Advertisement

Aye!

I tried buying some currency, but Ireland is not supported...

I am going to hold off now so :(. I don't want it to be like with planet side 2. Buy currency and turns out it is only for US servers when it came out from beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

have many people started playing this yet? whats the general view of it, worth playing?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    have many people started playing this yet? whats the general view of it, worth playing?

i like it, but ill wait untill dust settles. i am still cofing blood after planetside 2. so far it supportso nly US and US region. Who knows what will happen when it will come to europe. maybe it will be like planetside 2 where they will split it and you will have totally different company managing it and its own currency and new fresh accounts.

other then that i REALLY enjoyed it. a lot of fun and mech do feel like MECHs. i was afraid it will be just a cod in reskined big armored suits, but its far far from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, whilst the game looks fantastic in screens and gameplay videos - the artists deserve praise for their well-realised world - actually playing this I find it a visual mess & a borderline clusterf*ck of information. I'm not sure the devs did enough to differentiate between the scenery / environment & the mechs themselves; in a relatively fast-paced game like this, it's important to have that distinction & contrast to help make snap decisions. Hawken's palette is so heavily saturated, metallic & dull, even with the UI highlights it's easy to let the scenery overpower the senses.

Maybe it's me being an old codger of a gamer, I dunno. From what I've read into game-dev before, most big-name multiplayer games apply this concept - whether it's CoD, TF2, Starcraft or whatnot - that you allow players to make subconscious snap decisions using simple visual highlights in design. Hawken just feels like a headache - looks stunning, not such a fun world to play in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno, whilst the game looks fantastic in screens and gameplay videos - the artists deserve praise for their well-realised world - actually playing this I find it a visual mess & a borderline clusterf*ck of information. I'm not sure the devs did enough to differentiate between the scenery / environment & the mechs themselves; in a relatively fast-paced game like this, it's important to have that distinction & contrast to help make snap decisions. Hawken's palette is so heavily saturated, metallic & dull, even with the UI highlights it's easy to let the scenery overpower the senses.

Maybe it's me being an old codger of a gamer, I dunno. From what I've read into game-dev before, most big-name multiplayer games apply this concept - whether it's CoD, TF2, Starcraft or whatnot - that you allow players to make subconscious snap decisions using simple visual highlights in design. Hawken just feels like a headache - looks stunning, not such a fun world to play in though.

I'd agree with this. When I play, the game has this weird blurriness to it and like you said, the mechs seem to almost merge with the environment, as a result it takes a second longer than usual to spot a target and engage.
    Which brings me on to the Gameplay, which while fun in its own way, is held back by the fact that the vast majority of the time, whoever starts shooting first gets the kill. There isn't much in the way of tactics to the game, simply if you get the drop on the other player even by a second, and can keep the reticle trained on him/her its game over. Sure you can try dodge the shots or take cover, but even the slowest mechs are fast and can get around to you and start shooting again before you have time to try flank or heal up.

I dunno maybe I was just bad at it but that seemed to be my experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Available on STEAM now !

Advertisement