Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

so im still following this thread and love when a new interesting post comes up but nothing yet has beaten the dyatlov pass incident for the sheer terror and up all night thinking about it factor

I'm with you on that I have to say.

The story has me intrigued to no end.
    Definitely one of my faves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'm with you on that I have to say.

The story has me intrigued to no end.
    Definitely one of my faves!

I think its been explained as hypothermia and they went mad with it,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Hypothermia just seems too easy an explanation.
    Although I agree that it's known to drive you mad but if I remember correctly there were so many puzzling facts about it that it was more debatable that it was caused by another type of issue.
    Doubt it was aliens but maybe the army themselves?

bear1 wrote: »
    Hypothermia just seems too easy an explanation.
    Although I agree that it's known to drive you mad but if I remember correctly there were so many puzzling facts about it that it was more debatable that it was caused by another type of issue.
    Doubt it was aliens but maybe the army themselves?

It has been attributed by some to the effects of infrasound...

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2014/01/infrasonic-intrusion-a-new-theory-behind-the-dyatlov-pass-incident/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The Brabant Killers ......... the mad thing about this case is if they aren't caught by 10th November 2015 (12 days from now) then they're free forever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabant_killers
    darkdubh wrote: »
    Didn't see this post. Well the statute of limitations has well passed by now. I don't see the point in laws like that. It meant that most of Bill Cosby's accusers couldn't give evidence in his trial.

I just can’t get over the brutality of these killings. They seem about more than just robbery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Infrasound, as in the low frequency, that is used in movies. Seems fanciful.

Infrasound, as in the low frequency, that is used in movies. Seems fanciful.

Infrasound as in the naturally occurring phenomenon sometimes caused by weather patterns, such as lee waves...it's less fanciful than some of the theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Anyone interested in true crime should take a listen to Casefile. There are a lot of mysteries in there but also a lot of solved cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Who poo'ed in the urinal??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

joe stodge wrote: »

It was Kyle.

joe stodge wrote: »

There was a great post on a Reddit thread recently - about workplace secrets. Someone started to notice patches of new carpet missing. Cameras being installed in random places. Areas being roped off. All of this with little or no explanation.

Turned out there's someone in this pretty professional workplace that has been taking random dumps in places scattered throughout the office and they have no idea who it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Hardly Boys - two young whippersnappers with a knack for solving mysteries

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

There was a great post on a Reddit thread recently - about workplace secrets. Someone started to notice patches of new carpet missing. Cameras being installed in random places. Areas being roped off. All of this with little or no explanation.

Turned out there's someone in this pretty professional workplace that has been taking random dumps in places scattered throughout the office and they have no idea who it was.

when I was in school and smoking in the bathrooms was all the rage a few of us between classes met up for a smoke in the biggest bathroom in the school.

when walked in we were hit with an ungodly stench, someone had dropped a log on the floor and shaped it into the symbol from the blair witch project.

never found out who it was.

anyone go to the Grange C.C. in donaghmede in about 2001 here??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Hi all. First time visiting this thread so I'm sure some have been used before.

Ourang Medan
    The Orion correlation theory - This should be watched as part of it first.
    If you find the above interesting - The existence of an Atlantis
    Oakville Blobs
    Who put Bella in the Wych Elm?

The JFK assassination

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Le pain maudit de Pont-Saint-Esprit is a great story, with several hypotheses, so I guess you could classify it as mysterious.

The link I provide seems strongly biased towards the CIA theory, I guess it sells better on Youtube, but there are real witnesses and it's a pretty comprehensive documentary so worth watching if you don't mind the packaging :)
    Here's a link to the French Wiki with all the medical/poisoning possibilities : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affaire_du_pain_maudit
    In August 1951, inhabitants of the picturesque French village of Pont-Saint-Esprit were suddenly tormented by terrifying hallucinations. People imagined lions and tigers were coming to eat them. A man jumped out of a window thinking he was a dragonfly. At least seven people died, dozens were taken to the local asylum in strait jackets and hundreds were affected.

Almost immediately, wild theories started circulating to explain the this mysterious case of mass insanity. There were claims of poisoned flour, contaminated water and even witchcraft. But the truth was stranger than many of the theories: the CIA had spiked the local food with LSD as part of a mind control experiment at the height of the Cold War.

In this documentary, we reveal how for decades, the CIA has been using unconsenting people as guinea pigs in thousands of different experiments.

https://youtu.be/KXHBF5O5uAM

The documentary is long but it's easy enough to spot and scroll to just the bits with the Pont Saint Esprit witnesses if like me, you're not too much into CIA stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

so im still following this thread and love when a new interesting post comes up but nothing yet has beaten the dyatlov pass incident for the sheer terror and up all night thinking about it factor:eek:

"compelling natural force"

my honest answer is it was Aliens. Aliens that the US government, the russian government, the british, chinese etc etc all know about and is the biggest secret in the history of mankind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Who put Bella in the Wych Elm?

Thanks for posting this

Really interesting. The bit about the graffiti popping up sporadically was the bit that got me

Why would you do that? Can't be spies. Someone was making a point.

Either way, fascinating story. Thanks for posting.

Posted already but the chap who killed himself from Austria down in Sligo was the most unsettling of them all for me.

Felt really sorry for the man and would love to know why he was so determined to avoid being found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Posted already but the chap who killed himself from Austria down in Sligo was the most unsettling of them all for me.

Felt really sorry for the man and would love to know why he was so determined to avoid being found.

Known as "Peter Bergmann" case - the man who went to Ireland to disappear, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

I just read up on this on wiki what a tragic case. the poor man must have been in immense physical pain with cancer so far advanded and no pain meds in his his system .may he rest in peace

I just read up on this on wiki what a tragic case. the poor man must have been in immense physical pain with cancer so far advanded and no pain meds in his his system .may he rest in peace

Yeah poor man. May he rest in peace indeed.

It's just so extraordinary the lengths he went to, to avoid being traced.

The fact he chose Ireland for a start, and why Sligo?
    And jesus the planning he put into it. False address to start.
    He avoided cameras mostly and carrying a wee plastic bag every day and gradually dumping things.
    And he removed labels from his clothes and researched his suicide point so carefully.
    And he still found time for a toasted sambo before erasing himself from existence.

The whole thing is just so sad.

I know he got his wish to go anonymously but why was it so important to him?

The RTE doc on him shows footage and even interviews the cab driver who took him to check out his subsequent suicide venue.

Poor fella. But clever fella too. I don't often get upset about these kind of things but this one haunted me big time.

Syl Peter and Ned, those three men in the pub sketch on the Gerry Ryan Show - what on earth were they talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Yeah poor man. May he rest in peace indeed.

It's just so extraordinary the lengths he went to, to avoid being traced.

The fact he chose Ireland for a start, and why Sligo?
    And jesus the planning he put into it. False address to start.
    He avoided cameras mostly and carrying a wee plastic bag every day and gradually dumping things.
    And he removed labels from his clothes and researched his suicide point so carefully.
    And he still found time for a toasted sambo before erasing himself from existence.

The whole thing is just so sad.

I know he got his wish to go anonymously but why was it so important to him?

The RTE doc on him shows footage and even interviews the cab driver who took him to check out his subsequent suicide venue.

Poor fella. But clever fella too. I don't often get upset about these kind of things but this one haunted me big time.

A good friend of mine encountered him before he passed away. Found it unusual enough to remember him afterwards, and featured in the documentary as well. He still brings it up from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

branie2 wrote: »
    What happened to Podge and Rodge

The RTE whistleblower shed some light on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Reminds me of the Lyle Stevik case from 2001. He checked himself into a hotel room in a remote location in North America, using a fake name and address, and was found hanged in the room. He'd written the single word "suicide" on a piece of paper. His true identity has never been discovered

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/53mz1z/fifteen_year_anniversary_of_lyle_steviks_suicide/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

The RTE whistleblower shed some light on this.

Do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Lily Munster

I recently watched a YouTube theory vid that the Dyatlov Pass team's stove caught fire and the smoke and fumes were so severe that they exited the tent the opposite side due to this. A melted stove was found at the site. Seems the most plausible to me.

Their footsteps to the forest were not in the pattern of running. Then someone was likely keeping a lookout from the tree to see whether the smoke had subsided but too much time passed and the first to succumb to hypothermia were left at the forest, their teammates took their clothes to try and avoid the same fate, but to no avail.

The punch mark on the guy's face could just have been due to a fight with another team member (pretty tense and stressful situation) and the injuries found on those with clothes are consistent with packed snow piling on them over days and days.

Wild animals could have bitten off the tongues, and two of the guys worked at a radiation plant - only their clothing had radioactive elements on them.

• Advertisement

What causes deja vu

Advertisement