Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Uosdwis R. Dewoh

The disappearance and death of Utah woman Kayelyn Louder. There is usually a rational conclusion to be drawn in these cases, but this case is just mad.

One day, Kayelyn dialled 911 out of the blue to report a fight in her neighbourhood - there wasn't one. The next morning she dialled 911 again to report a break-in to her apartment occurring at that moment. She sounded extremely distressed and as if there was more to it than a break-in. Her flatmate was there also and confirmed no such thing had happened. The police found no sign of forced entry either.

She was later captured on cctv walking her dog. She is talking animatedly, which was considered noteworthy by police, but people do talk to their pets - that's no biggie... however what people don't tend to do is walk their dog barefoot - in the rain.

She was then captured on cctv later in that same spot near her car - when all of a sudden she became alarmed at something behind her and ran... leaving her car, wallet, keys and beloved dog.

Her body was found in the river two months later.

No trace of any intoxicant was found in her system. I assumed she unfortunately had a breakdown and killed herself but this isn't deemed a definitive conclusion. I can't find any info that the post mortem said she drowned.

Was she afraid of something real or did she have a psychotic break? The case has been compared to that of a deceased woman called Elisa Lam, but mental breakdown seems to explain that case fully... however this one, more of a mystery.

The Mystery of The Man on The Moor - a Channel 4 documentary that I highly recommend.

Less than two years ago, a man was found dead in a remote area outside Manchester. No identification whatsoever, yet the police amazingly tracked down who he was - a lot of it via pure guesswork and trial and error.

But they couldn't ascertain why he ended up there or what he was doing, and it's very bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Wait until winter and slide the rocks over the snow / ice / frozen ground.

Or walk them like the did with the Easter Island statues.

I watched some documentary one time where they moved equivalent weight & size stones. The smaller ones could be moved on waterways. They used teams 10 people pulling big ones with rope along a track. Some of stones originated in Wales. They were erected (ooo'er missus) in to position with rope and pulley systems. They could also be levered up gradually in a horizontal position and placing timber under a side as you moved it up each increment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The Mystery of The Man on The Moor - a Channel 4 documentary that I highly recommend.

Less than two years ago, a man was found dead in a remote area outside Manchester. No identification whatsoever, yet the police amazingly tracked down who he was - a lot of it via pure guesswork and trial and error.

But they couldn't ascertain why he ended up there or what he was doing, and it's very bizarre.

Yes that's a good one. Neil Dovestone aka David Lytton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

kylith wrote: »
    I read a while back that the Bermuda Triangle is no more dangerous than any other area of ocean, it's just that losses there are reported more.

And insurers like Lloyds of London don;t charge higher premiums for ships transiting the Bermuda Triangle. Also, a quick look at FlightRadar24 will show all kinds of aircraft happily cruising through the same airspace. If people in the transport business really thought the triangle was particularly high risk, they'd be acting accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

This isn't one for the faint hearted but for me it is the Original Night Stalker.

I heard about him on a podcast linked below.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVN47lHYvtA&t=900s

He had other moniker such as the East Area Rapist and later the Baby Dick Killer because of his small endowment.

He would break into peoples homes in the middle of the night and assault and in his later crimes murder them.

He is responsible for 50+ sexual assaults and 16 murders. He would stalk his victims leaving kits with rope and masks near their house, break in and case the place and in one instance remove the bullets from a gun. He would wake couples up in the middle of the night and would have the wife tie her husband up and then place plates on his back.

He went on a rampage in California for years and then just stopped. They thought he was dead until he made another call to a victim which is linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdElYnd-xMo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

This post has been deleted.

Is it because you lied when you were seventeen?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Don't think this one has been mentioned before but I've followed it as it has meandered along over the years, not quite believing that no real progress as ever been made with regards to finding out what exactly happened to her.

It's quite disturbing and so best stop reading now if easily upset by discussions of sexual abuse and the like.

Anyway, the girl on the left in the picture below is Brittney Wood (alongside her daughter Payton) and she has been missing since the summer of 2012. She is considered to have been murdered by her extended family but no body has ever been discovered so far.

bw.jpg

It all pretty much began around 2003 (possibly before) when her step-grandfather abused her and then subsequently was jailed for it a couple of years later. Then her two aunts (her mother's twin sisters) along one of their husbands (who was actually seeing both of the twins since they were very young themselves) began holding barbecue parties at which they would abuse many of the local neighbourhood kids (Brittney is thought to have been one of them).

Jump forward to 2012 and Brittany's uncle (her Mother's brother) goes to the Police and tells them that a 13-year-old family member (he is seeing) is being abused (I know, doesn't make much sense and he is jailed himself as a result).

While that investigation is taking place Brittany messages one of the girls who had been abused at the parties and tells her she is going to the police and blowing the whole thing open. She then drives to the Uncle's house and confronts him about what he did but is never seen again. A few days later the uncle is found with a gun shot wounds to the head consistent with suicide. The gun used was Brittney's.

I watched much of the media reports of this over the past five years or so and Brittney's mother was always very vocal about how poor a job she felt the cops knew were doing even though they jailed both her twin sisters in 2015. Then all of a sudden they arrested her and charged her with abusing kids shortly after that (which most people were shocked about) but eventually all charges were dropped.

Most of the family are locked up now for sexual abuse of minors apart from the mother but they still do not know what happened Brittney. Her mother has pretty much said publicly she believes her sister and her brother in law killed her.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a high profile documentary made about the case tbh. There certainly seems to be enough material there to fill many hours.

Heartbreaking seeing her daughter in the following recent clip mark the 5th anniversary of her disappearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

The disappearance and death of Utah woman Kayelyn Louder. There is usually a rational conclusion to be drawn in these cases, but this case is just mad.

One day, Kayelyn dialled 911 out of the blue to report a fight in her neighbourhood - there wasn't one. The next morning she dialled 911 again to report a break-in to her apartment occurring at that moment. She sounded extremely distressed and as if there was more to it than a break-in. Her flatmate was there also and confirmed no such thing had happened. The police found no sign of forced entry either.

She was later captured on cctv walking her dog. She is talking animatedly, which was considered noteworthy by police, but people do talk to their pets - that's no biggie... however what people don't tend to do is walk their dog barefoot - in the rain.

She was then captured on cctv later in that same spot near her car - when all of a sudden she became alarmed at something behind her and ran... leaving her car, wallet, keys and beloved dog.

Her body was found in the river two months later.

No trace of any intoxicant was found in her system. I assumed she unfortunately had a breakdown and killed herself but this isn't deemed a definitive conclusion. I can't find any info that the post mortem said she drowned.

Was she afraid of something real or did she have a psychotic break? The case has been compared to that of a deceased woman called Elisa Lam, but mental breakdown seems to explain that case fully... however this one, more of a mystery.

This is fascinating stuff, thank you.

I've been very recently watching documentaries on Elisa Lam so the comparison definitely caught my attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

While interesting, it seems pretty cut and dry. She was a paranoid schizophrenic who slipped and fell in a nearby creek, leading to her death.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    While interesting, it seems pretty cut and dry. She was a paranoid schizophrenic who slipped and fell in a nearby creek, leading to her death.
    That's how it seems, but is it confirmed?

How did you learn she was a paranoid schizophrenic? I did read that her age when she died (30) is within the typical age range for onset of paranoid schizophrenia in women, but I didn't find confirmation of this specifically in relation to her.

And where did you learn she drowned? I didn't find confirmation of this either.

As I said, there doesn't seem any real mystery in the death of Elisa Lam - she had a history of severe mental illness, but this case is a bit more ambiguous.

Don't think this one has been mentioned before but I've followed it as it has meandered along over the years, not quite believing that no real progress as ever been made with regards to finding out what exactly happened to her.

It's quite disturbing and so best stop reading now if easily upset by discussions of sexual abuse and the like.

Anyway, the girl on the left in the picture below is Brittney Wood (alongside her daughter Payton) and she has been missing since the summer of 2012. She is considered to have been murdered by her extended family but no body has ever been discovered so far.

bw.jpg

It all pretty much began around 2003 (possibly before) when her step-grandfather abused her and then subsequently was jailed for it a couple of years later. Then her two aunts (her mother's twin sisters) along one of their husbands (who was actually seeing both of the twins since they were very young themselves) began holding barbecue parties at which they would abuse many of the local neighbourhood kids (Brittney is thought to have been one of them).

Jump forward to 2012 and Brittany's uncle (her Mother's brother) goes to the Police and tells them that a 13-year-old family member (he is seeing) is being abused (I know, doesn't make much sense and he is jailed himself as a result).

While that investigation is taking place Brittany messages one of the girls who had been abused at the parties and tells her she is going to the police and blowing the whole thing open. She then drives to the Uncle's house and confronts him about what he did but is never seen again. A few days later the uncle is found with a gun shot wounds to the head consistent with suicide. The gun used was Brittney's.

I watched much of the media reports of this over the past five years or so and Brittney's mother was always very vocal about how poor a job she felt the cops knew were doing even though they jailed both her twin sisters in 2015. Then all of a sudden they arrested her and charged her with abusing kids shortly after that (which most people were shocked about) but eventually all charges were dropped.

Most of the family are locked up now for sexual abuse of minors apart from the mother but they still do not know what happened Brittney. Her mother has pretty much said publicly she believes her sister and her brother in law killed her.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a high profile documentary made about the case tbh. There certainly seems to be enough material there to fill many hours.

Heartbreaking seeing her daughter in the following recent clip mark the 5th anniversary of her disappearance.

Fooking hell.. :(

The Deep South (and this was taking place in the very very deep south - southern tip of Alabama) can be so messed up. She had a gun at only 19 too. I'm not an anti America bandwagoner at all - it's a great country overall - but it has some seriously ****ed up communities in the very poor remote areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That's how it seems, but is it confirmed?

How did you learn she was a paranoid schizophrenic? I did read that her age when she died (30) is within the typical age range for onset of paranoid schizophrenia in women, but I didn't find confirmation of this specifically in relation to her.

And where did you learn she drowned? I didn't find confirmation of this either.

As I said, there doesn't seem any real mystery in the death of Elisa Lam - she had a history of severe mental illness, but this case is a bit more ambiguous.

She ended up in the water, seems a safe assumption. She had been running around wild in the rain her bare feet, with no care for her surroundings.

She was hearing voices. Thought she heard violent arguments which werent happening. She made a 911 call to say people where in her apt. taking things where her flatmate can be heard saying 'there's no one here, the door is still locked'.

She had previously stated her flatmate complained she was 'paranoid' and 'delusional'.

The post mortem didn't conclude she drowned though. What you say is what I assumed at first too but I can't find confirmation anywhere that she drowned. I know she ended up in the water but why isn't it saying anywhere that cause of death was drowning?

The disappearance and death of Henry McCabe...and unsettling phone message he left.

565-3105-henry-mccabe-flyer.jpg?itok=aW3k65rn

In September 2015, McCabe was out clubbing with others. It was later alleged he was drunk, his wallet and keys were taken to prevent him buying more alcohol or driving. One of his acquaintances claimed Henry was dropped at a gas station...except no record of that appeared on CCTV. Phone records show one of his subsequent calls was made 10km away.

Later that night his wife received what was possibly a pocket dial, with Henry screaming in pain or fear, groaning and guttural noises, and a voice saying "stop it". She claimed she was in California at the time.

And Henry disappeared for 3 months. Until his body was found by a kayaker in a lake in the area from which his last call came. He had apparently drowned, but police remain suspicious.

http://spokesman-recorder.com/2016/03/30/vanished-without-trace-really-happened-henry-t-mccabe/

It's the last phone message that makes the matter so unsettling. Was it just the ravings of a drunk, was he in fear, and what were the other noises...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Missing flight MH370.

I wonder will it be discovered & lifted off the sea bed in a few hundred years time, in the same way as King Henry the VIII's flagship "The Mary Rose" was discovered and raised off the seabed nearly 500 years after she sank!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The fuselage would eventually erode away, the titanic for example in a few years won't be around anymore.

• Advertisement

The disappearance and death of Henry McCabe...and unsettling phone message he left.

565-3105-henry-mccabe-flyer.jpg?itok=aW3k65rn

In September 2015, McCabe was out clubbing with others. It was later alleged he was drunk, his wallet and keys were taken to prevent him buying more alcohol or driving. One of his acquaintances claimed Henry was dropped at a gas station...except no record of that appeared on CCTV. Phone records show one of his subsequent calls was made 10km away.

Later that night his wife received what was possibly a pocket dial, with Henry screaming in pain or fear, groaning and guttural noises, and a voice saying "stop it". She claimed she was in California at the time.

And Henry disappeared for 3 months. Until his body was found by a kayaker in a lake in the area from which his last call came. He had apparently drowned, but police remain suspicious.

http://spokesman-recorder.com/2016/03/30/vanished-without-trace-really-happened-henry-t-mccabe/

It's the last phone message that makes the matter so unsettling. Was it just the ravings of a drunk, was he in fear, and what were the other noises...

Jesus. I can't bring myself to listen to the recording. That is just scary.

Wonder what the policeman who wrote the article means by "encrypted numbers"?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LordSutch wrote: »
    Missing flight MH370.

I wonder will it be discovered & lifted off The sea bed in a few hundred years time, in the sane was as King Henry the VIII's flagship "The Mary Rose" was discovered and raised off the seabed nearly 500 years after she sank!
    But people knew exactly where the Mary Rose sank.

MH370 will be found. When we have better underwater surveys. That might take a while though as they aren't as cheap as aerial photography.

Thanks to the higher res data from the Geological Survey of Ireland the liner Athenia was "found" this week.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41503664

_98144591_wreck_no._111.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Have you guys heard of Maura Murray?

There is this new docu - TV series that only premiered the other day.
    Might be worth to check it out, just came across it.

Maura disappeared on February 9, 2004 after a car crash in New Hampshire.
    She has never been found.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Have you guys heard of Maura Murray?

There is this new docu - TV series that only premiered the other day.
    Might be worth to check it out, just came across it.

Maura disappeared on February 9, 2004 after a car crash in New Hampshire.
    She has never been found.

The guys who put together the documentary have been running a podcast on this case for the last two years on this case. Worth a listen if you are interested in this story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The mystery of the Mud Angel.

Every week in the mud outside O'Leary's pub there's a perfect outline of a man - the Mud Angel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Anyone hear of the "Crazy Brabant Killers" case in Belgium in the 80's? I vaguely remember the final robbery/mass killing they carried out from the news at the time. Looks like the identity of the killers (or at least one of them) might be discovered after more than 30 years.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-belgium-killers/crazy-killer-confession-may-end-30-year-old-belgian-mystery-idUSKBN1CS2JE

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The Brabant Killers ......... the mad thing about this case is if they aren't caught by 10th November 2015 (12 days from now) then they're free forever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabant_killers

Didn't see this post. Well the statute of limitations has well passed by now. I don't see the point in laws like that. It meant that most of Bill Cosby's accusers couldn't give evidence in his trial.

The murder of Grégory Villemin is a long running high profile case in France akin to that of Philip Cairns here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40277466

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

darkdubh wrote: »
    The murder of Grégory Villemin is a long running high profile case in France akin to that of Philip Cairns here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40277466

That is such a sad story. There has been lots in the media here in France recently about all the history between the different family members (it would appear that someone in the family killed him to get back at his parents) but very little about the little boy himself. I hope they catch the murderer and throw the book at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

so im still following this thread and love when a new interesting post comes up but nothing yet has beaten the dyatlov pass incident for the sheer terror and up all night thinking about it factor:eek:

Advertisement