Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

weekaizer wrote: »
    I always found this hard to believe.
    I mean he completed a full lap of imola before the crash occurred. I honestly think the steering column broke as he turned in at the high speed tamburello corner. The column had previously been modified at drivers request due to being too long or too short (can't quite remember which) perhaps the modification was an inferior one...

Williams f1 team kept the car in house for a long period post the crash before it could be examined. I also find it odd that the on board camera footage from sennas car disappears for the short 1-2 seconds between car leaving the road and hitting the wall. Could there have been some cover up and evidence hiding on the Williams f1 team??.

I can't see a formula 1 team as big as them covering up the death of the world's most famous driver.
    Broadcast throughout the entire world live.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oddly enough methane hydrates may not be as unstable as previously thought https://phys.org/news/2017-08-hydrate-gun-hypothesis.html

then again https://phys.org/news/2017-06-domes-frozen-methane-blow-outs.html

No methane hydrate don't explain all of the Bermuda incidents, but bad navigation has explained some of the others.
    I read a while back that the Bermuda Triangle is no more dangerous than any other area of ocean, it's just that losses there are reported more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

weekaizer wrote: »
    I always found this hard to believe.
    I mean he completed a full lap of imola before the crash occurred. I honestly think the steering column broke as he turned in at the high speed tamburello corner. The column had previously been modified at drivers request due to being too long or too short (can't quite remember which) perhaps the modification was an inferior one...

Williams f1 team kept the car in house for a long period post the crash before it could be examined. I also find it odd that the on board camera footage from sennas car disappears for the short 1-2 seconds between car leaving the road and hitting the wall. Could there have been some cover up and evidence hiding on the Williams f1 team??.

I guess it's possible. It's the first I've ever heard of it though in all the years since then, and I've never really considered it in any way suspicious. My personal opinion is that I'd be very surprised if anything other than the current version of events is true, but what you say is a possibility. However if you assume something else as possible you'd also have to assume driver error as a possibility. It is a dangerous sport after all.

We probably don't see the footage because it could be deemed insensitive, not so much that there is no footage somewhere. You can see he lost control in the in-car footage shortly before he crashes.

Remember that he had such a poor start to the year that he was extra pressured into winning that race. He himself had voiced concerns about safety at the race that weekend.

Edit: is this what you mean?

https://youtu.be/_64k44_pm_M

Interesting video. I'll be honest and say it's a solid argument, and the guy has clearly put a good bit of work into it. I personally can't see what he refers to though in terms of the yellow light, and by that I mean I literally can't see it. I understand others can though so fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭cml387

How do Jacobs get the figs... nah just joking.

The Moorgate Tube disaster.

A highly experienced tube driver fails to stop at a terminus station and continues into a dead end tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

cml387 wrote: »
    How do Jacobs get the figs... nah just joking.

The Moorgate Tube disaster.

A highly experienced tube driver fails to stop at a terminus station and continues into a dead end tunnel.

Sounds like a suicide? Possible mental illness? Similar to that crazy pilot who purposely crashed the Germanwings flight a year or 2 ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Sounds like a suicide? Possible mental illness? Similar to that crazy pilot who purposely crashed the Germanwings flight a year or 2 ago.
    There were 643 suicide attempts on the tube in 2000-2010.

Or maybe the Dead Man's Handle can't handle all eventualities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

There were 643 suicide attempts on the tube in 2000-2010.

Or maybe the Dead Man's Handle can't handle all eventualities.
    That is a shocking statistic.

Could it be cause they are underground for so long every day? The lack of natural light can get to you.

bear1 wrote: »
    Could it be cause they are underground for so long every day? The lack of natural light can get to you.

Presume the stat meant everyone, not just Underground workers or drivers...I've been stopped on a train in London because of a "jumper" and everyone in the carriage just shrugged and said it happens...

Presume the stat meant everyone, not just Underground workers or drivers...I've been stopped on a train in London because of a "jumper" and everyone in the carriage just shrugged and said it happens...

Empathy must be a luxury there then.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it seemed a bit cold...but I guess amongst commuters facing the grimness of London rush hour, empathy for some stranger who decides to screw up their day is in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Paddy Cow wrote:
    That is a shocking statistic.

It works out at just over 1 a week in a city in a huge population. Relatively speaking it's not that much of a shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Raonaid Murray.Its coming up to her anniversary and still no closer to her killer being found.1999,nearly 20 years and that person is still walking around.

What a horrible waste of a young girls life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭cml387

The Moorgate investigation did examine whether Driver Newsome committed suicide.
    He did have a largish sum of money with him that morning, apparently he was going to buy his daughter a car when he finished his shift.

Since we are on the subject of mysterious railway accidents, you can also include the terrible crash at Harrow in 1952 where an experienced driver and fireman passed one signal at caution and two signals at danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

cml387 wrote: »
    The Moorgate investigation did examine whether Driver Newsome committed suicide.
    He did have a largish sum of money with him that morning, apparently he was going to buy his daughter a car when he finished his shift.

Since we are on the subject of mysterious railway accidents, you can also include the terrible crash at Harrow in 1952 where an experienced driver and fireman passed one signal at caution and two signals at danger.

Possible heart attack or something similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

There was a post-mortem, but it was several days before the rescuers could get to the body and results were generally inconclusive due to decomposition. Another hypothesis made at the time was that he zoned out a moment or confused Moorgate for a through-station just long enough that when he did realise, it was far too late.

One thing that it did introduce was a safety measure named after the station where if a train came into a dead-end tunnel over a certain speed, first various resistors on the track would flip to slow the train down through the station and then the emergency brakes would trip if the front of the train went past the entrance to the dead-end tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dara obrian did a routine on train suicides. To sum it up... There's a train fatality... Reaction is to look at your watch and wonder how long you'll be delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Dara obrian did a routine on train suicides. To sum it up... There's a train fatality... Reaction is to look at your watch and wonder how long you'll be delayed
    Suicidal impulses are of course a nental illness, but it is a particularly selfish way to do it by throwing oneself in front of a commuter train, my empathy is with the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The name of the girl in the Rick Astley video, Whenever You Need Somebody, and why she put on the top of her bikini when she was on the beach, when any normal woman puts hers on before going out to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

branie2 wrote: »
    The name of the girl in the Rick Astley video, Whenever You Need Somebody, and why she put on the top of her bikini when she was on the beach, when any normal woman puts hers on before going out to the beach.

Lene Bausager

Source: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056825159 :D

• Advertisement

it hasn't really been confirmed if Lene Bausager was the girl

And I'm still wondering (as I'm sure others are), about her dressing actions on the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

The continuing mystery of how Ray D'Arcy has a career.

What happened to Podge and Rodge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

D'arcy has them chained up in his basement...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Today's mystery is why people feel the need to pollute such an awesome thread with nonsense posts like the last three/four posts

How Stonehenge was built

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Good input...

Irony thread that way
    >
    fxotoole wrote: »
    Today's mystery is why people feel the need to pollute such an awesome thread with nonsense posts like the last three/four posts

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The continuing mystery of how Ray D'Arcy has a career.
    frag420 wrote: »
    D'arcy has them chained up in his basement...

Join the dots people ...

• Advertisement

How Stonehenge was built
    Wait until winter and slide the rocks over the snow / ice / frozen ground.

Or walk them like the did with the Easter Island statues.

Advertisement