Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Your favourite unsolved mystery?

From an Irish perspective, how none of our Banksters went to jail and the mysterious disappearance of Philip Cairns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

From an Irish perspective, how none of our Banksters went to jail

Some of the bankers were sent to jail recently no? Further, Drumm is being extradited from the US...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

From an Irish perspective, how none of our Banksters went to jail and the mysterious disappearance of Philip Cairns.
    What the did was immoral but they broke no laws and unfortunately very, very few will spend any time behind bars:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Can we not bring the bloody "BANKSTERS" **** into a very good thread? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Some of the bankers were sent to jail recently no? Further, Drumm is being extradited from the US...

I think you're confusing limp wristed tokenism with actual justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

Can we not bring the bloody "BANKSTERS" **** into a very good thread? :(

Eh? If that's not a pretty valid thing to query, then nothing is :rolleyes:.

Anyway if you hurry up and get your Mod application form in. You'll be able to enforce your will accordingly in the thread. But for the record, I'm hoping you're unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

There's no mystery why very few people have gone to jail over the banking scandals. We had a very loose system of regulation & an unhealthily close relationship between senior people in the financial industry & legislators. Charlie McCreevy even boasted about how "light-touch" our regulation of financial products was. If burglars were effectively allowed to write the laws on breaking & entering & a political & media establishment ready to cheer on their every move then you'd have a similar situation with regard to burglary.

I think you're confusing limp wristed tokenism with actual justice.

I dont think the sentences inposed were limp myself but eachbto their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Custardpi wrote: »
    There's no mystery why very few people have gone to jail over the banking scandals. We had a very loose system of regulation & an unhealthily close relationship between senior people in the financial industry & legislators. Charlie McCreevy even boasted about how "light-touch" our regulation of financial products was. If burglars were effectively allowed to write the laws on breaking & entering & a political & media establishment ready to cheer on their every move then you'd have a similar situation with regard to burglary.

We have an outdated justice system which lacks the sophistication to deal with these eejits. It's not like the current govt wouldn't absolutely love to lock someone up, it would be political gold dust in the run up to an election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

Custardpi wrote: »

Regulations were light, but we still had a raft of criminality going on at the top and nobody has been punished for it. Just look at some of the sample charges facing Drumm....

- Making false or misleading disclosures.
    - Organizing illegal loans.
    - Forgery and falsification of loan agreement letters.

- Conspiracy to defraud shareholders.

Now you can be certain he was not the only top boy that was at it. Of course with an election on the horizon, it's convenient timing for the government. But the current government were as complicit in all of this when they were on the opposition benches. They were after all part of the nod and wink generation. So the earlier question remains quite valid and it remains a mystery how some got away with the shafting of a nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

The Sodder children mystery was a very weird and tragic case, but although they were never found, it's just possible that someday something might be. It does seem most likely that it was arson and murder and it's absolutely horrendous that five children died because someone had a grudge against their parents. It seems tragically probable that they did die that night. Although the reports point out that the fire burned for 45 minutes, it didn't really - it burned all night; the fire brigade didn't get there until eight the following morning. The fire didn't just stop! Things like the ladder being missing, the phone lines cut, the block and tackle stolen...jesus, to think that someone would cold-bloodedly set out to murder ten children and their parents, and to remove anything that could help - I can only imagine the despair of the father discovering one thing after another that could help to rescue his children was gone.

Gak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Eh? If that's not a pretty valid thing to query, then nothing is :rolleyes:.

Anyway if you hurry up and get your Mod application form in. You'll be able to enforce your will accordingly in the thread. But for the record, I'm hoping you're unsuccessful.
    It's not a mystery, and it's not even true.

Unsolved mystery: Why have I not been made a mod? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Mod

Leave the banking/bankers out of it lads.

Don't ruin an otherwise great thread.

G_R wrote: »
    Mod

Leave the banking/bankers out of it lads.

Don't ruin an otherwise great thread.

Who killed Roberto Calvi..."God's Banker"...;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Calvi#Death

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Who let the dogs out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

This post has been deleted.

Poor fellow, the 8 stamps seem a bit of a give away don't they ?
    Is it possible he wrote to them (friends, family) without stating where he was ?
    Surely with the stamps they should have made the link with Ireland, and may have checked whether Irish authorities knew anything about him ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why people get believe in chemtrails/anti-vax/homoeopathy/anti-fuoride/anti-mobile phone masts while at the same time they have smartphones ?

If you have a smartphone then big brother knows pretty much everything you do or say, and where , when and with who you do it with.

Chemtrails , if anyone can think of a more wasteful/expensive way of distributing chemicals please let me know. Most people in Europe/US live in cities so chemtrails across the oceans are a complete waste. BTW in case anyone thinks airlines aren't focused on keeping weight to a minimum an Airbus 380 can carry 320,000 Litres of fuel. Three hundred and twenty thousand litres because that's what it needs to on long flights and the stuff isn't cheap.

If Chemtrails existed they could be replaced by aerosols on public transport or chimneys in cities for a tiny fraction of the price and still get to most of the population.

Thanks to Anti-vax polio in the poorest nations is now less of a problem than measles in rich nations. We may even eradicate polio soon. But measles will still kill and maim because of ignorance.

Currently, my fave is the latest internet puzzle. The creepy weird video one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Jake1 wrote: »

Very creepy video but it has to be a hoax.

RIGHT???

• Advertisement

Valentina wrote: »
    Very creepy video but it has to be a hoax.

RIGHT???

Who knows....

:) its great fun though, albeit weird as fook. Current thinking, is that its regarding a bio weapon possibly, that some of the codes relate to gene sequences, something , something..Depending which site you are following of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Jake1 wrote: »

The what?

pfft

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I can't watch vid. Can someone explain what happens please.

Whispered wrote: »

There's some twat standing in some ruiny building type place. The video is black and white and has edits made to it to cut out seconds here and there to make it more spooky. It's ****. Obviously made by some horror nerd or film school student.

Whispered wrote: »

Apparently there's hidden messages and codes in it; death threats etc. There's an article here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/10/21/after-days-of-sleuthing-the-internets-quest-to-solve-the-mystery-of-this-creepy-video-isnt-over/

here is a list of some sites discussing it, and a link to all the clues.

http://gadgetzz.com/2015/10/12/this-creepy-puzzle-arrived-in-our-mail/

(Gadgetzz was the original site that started this)

http://hackaday.com/2015/10/16/random-parcel-launches-steganographic-compulsion/

http://discuss.cognitivejourneys.com/t/this-creepy-puzzle-arrived-in-our-mail-11b-x-1371-updated/2901

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2984167/pg1

Godlike, have a list of the clues and codes that were found on the DVD on this page

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If you have a smartphone then big brother knows pretty much everything you do or say, and where , when and with who you do it with.

I know someone who refuses point-blank to use Google because "I don't want a big corporation knowing anything about me" and advocates DuckDuckGo

All fine and dandy until you see he has an Android phone and uses Google services like Gmail........

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I know someone who refuses point-blank to use Google because "I don't want a big corporation knowing anything about me" and advocates DuckDuckGo

All fine and dandy until you see he has an Android phone and uses Google services like Gmail........

I had to check your profile to ensure I don't actually know you as I also use DuckDuckGo and I also have big issues with Google!

Advertisement