Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

DeadHand wrote: »
    No real mystery there afaik.

An IRA unit was returning from a separate mission when they happened upon Collins' convoy. A brief exchange of fire ensued that left one man dead and another injured. The fatal casualty happened to be Collins. No mystery, conspiracy or deliberate assassination attempt in the version I was taught- despite what the movie implies.

Just a man dying in a war. Men die in war every day.

It's more or less an open secret* that a man called Sonny O Neill (I think) allegedly fired the shot. He was retreating at the time, and fired an un-aimed shot in the general direction of the Free State soldiers.
    The bullet hit the ground, and ricocheted straight into Collins' head. A one in a million, freak occurrence that changed Irish history forever.

*At least that's the version I was told by a local historian who has a habit of being right about things. Standing by for a million angry Corkonians claiming it was actually their great grandfather who fired the shot :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Buzz Meeks

Michael Collins really shouldn't have been driving around the Irish countryside at this time. Having said that he was cycling around Dublin every day for years while being the most wanted man in the British Empire.

Collins expertise was urban guerrilla war and intelligence/counter intelligence operations but you still wouldn't expect them to be driving in tight convoy on a narrow road going between two wooded hills having not scouted ahead or cleared the road. Collins had a kind of macho attitude that no one would dare take him on in his own county. And fearlessness and Recklessness were two characteristics that served him well in leading a successful revolution. If you keep rolling the dice then eventually..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭omega man

dubscottie wrote: »

Good read, thanks. Probably a straight forward rescue attempt going badly wrong but interesting all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Assassination of JFK is not a mystery and isn't unsolved either :) Disputed of course but it's clear what happened.

You must be joking. It is the grand-daddy of all CTs :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    You must be joking. It is the grand-daddy of all CTs :p

There's a really great documentary on Netflix that's the best explanation that I've seen. Oswald was the shooter but the head shot came from one of the secret service by complete mistake. They had to react quickly, took the safety off the weapon, the car bolted forward as Kennedys car started to move out of the area. The weapon discharged...There was no magic bullet. Also the ballistics line up with his 'theory'.

It was a single bullet that went through Kennedy and the gentleman in the front seat. It was said to be impossible in the mock trial but what wasn't taken into account or even listed in the official report was the fact the car was modified for the occasion. Kennedy was sitting higher up than those in the front of the car. So from the window, it was a downward shot at an angle that went through Kennedy clean and then continued on through the other fella.

The fact some shots went clean through vs the head shot that hit and exploded can be explained by the fact one shooter was LHO and the other was the Secret Service agent.

I thought it was pretty interesting anyways...thought, I'd share! The guy hosting the documentary was an investigator from Australia. He said the handling of the investigation was a joke. The report is a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Wompa1 wrote: »
    There's a really great documentary on Netflix that's the best explanation that I've seen.

I syopped reading there Im afraid. Ive watched pretty much every documentary on this there is online and that one is the worst explanations of all. It's up there with the theory that Jackie shot him ;)

Put "Jim Marrs JFK" into Youtube for some of the best theories, he also has the massive experience on this matter to back up his talk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Assassination of JFK is not a mystery and isn't unsolved either :) Disputed of course but it's clear what happened.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105435/quotes
    Crease: Now what are you saying, the NSA killed Kennedy?

Mother: No, they shot him but they didn't kill him. He's still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Wompa1 wrote: »
    There's a really great documentary on Netflix that's the best explanation that I've seen. Oswald was the shooter but the head shot came from one of the secret service by complete mistake. They had to react quickly, took the safety off the weapon, the car bolted forward as Kennedys car started to move out of the area. The weapon discharged...There was no magic bullet. Also the ballistics line up with his 'theory'.

It was a single bullet that went through Kennedy and the gentleman in the front seat. It was said to be impossible in the mock trial but what wasn't taken into account or even listed in the official report was the fact the car was modified for the occasion. Kennedy was sitting higher up than those in the front of the car. So from the window, it was a downward shot at an angle that went through Kennedy clean and then continued on through the other fella.

The fact some shots went clean through vs the head shot that hit and exploded can be explained by the fact one shooter was LHO and the other was the Secret Service agent.

I thought it was pretty interesting anyways...thought, I'd share! The guy hosting the documentary was an investigator from Australia. He said the handling of the investigation was a joke. The report is a mess.

It was supposedly Agent George Hickey who accidentally fired the AR-15, he was in the back seat of the following car with the gun.

It's a fun theory, only problem is the Bronson film shows the only person capable of firing the accidental shot was still seated at the moment the head shot strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

I know it's been mentioned before but the Peter Bergmann story really gets me... There's so much about it that's strange! Anyone any theories?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The Flannan Isles one reminded me of this:

An abandoned lifeboat at world's end

It is a big read but the page is a lot bigger because of a billion comments at the end of the piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sonny O Neill was indeed the man who shot Collins.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Chachapoyas, were they European?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Flight MH370, although it may not be a mystery for much longer . . .

At least we now know that it did crash into the Indian ocean (& did not land in Afghanistan, of replace MH17).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Shergar
    Flight MH370
    Amelia Earhart
    The Lough Ree Monster (yes, there have been sightings over the years...)
    The Tuscar Rock air crash
    JFK's assassination

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    I know it's been mentioned before but the Peter Bergmann story really gets me... There's so much about it that's strange! Anyone any theories?

Link???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I remember that. Pretty sad. In recent history in Ireland it's up there with the American lady that retreated to Ireland. She was an author. Ireland seems to be a spiritual place to many....

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Ted Heath, Jimmy Saville (great friends with Mountbatton, and prince Charles) and the royal family .... hmmmm.....
    things that make ya go...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Just finished watching the mystery of oak island, give it a watch ;)

Just finished watching the mystery of oak island, its on history channel give it a watch ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

jeni wrote: »
    Just finished watching the mystery of oak island, its on history channel give it a watch ;)

On TV or on demand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Steve012 wrote: »
    Ted Heath, Jimmy Saville (great friends with Mountbatton, and prince Charles) and the royal family .... hmmmm.....
    things that make ya go...

It would appear that this case is more about the cover up than the fact that its a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Shergar
    Flight MH370
    Amelia Earhart
    The Lough Ree Monster (yes, there have been sightings over the years...)
    The Tuscar Rock air crash
    JFK's assassination

How is Shergar a mystery?

Bambi wrote: »
    How is Shergar a mystery?

you might want to read this dude

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1576718/The-truth-about-Shergar-racehorse-kidnapping.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Who left King Kong's Finger in trap 3 this morn......

kfallon wrote: »
    Who left King Kong's Finger in trap 3 this morn......

flap three more like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

you might want to read this dude

That is a great if very upsetting article Wacker, thanks for sharing.

On TV or on demand?

Fort William it's on movies hd app

On TV or on demand?

Fort William it's on movies hd app

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Advertisement