Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

iano.p wrote: »
    I think there might be a couple of serial killers around. But why would you say one is a taxi driver.

The absolute perfect job for meeting new prey. They drop people to their homes!

There's been a good few taxi drivers who Ive asked to drop me off five mins from where I actually live but that was because they looked like house burglars more so than serial killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    The absolute perfect job for meeting new prey. They drop people to their homes!

There's been a good few taxi drivers who Ive asked to drop me off five mins from where I actually live but that was because they looked like house burglars more so than serial killers.
    Or garda or priests or teachers or mates parents and so on. People of authority. Kid got murdered back in 1979 or 80ish in Dublin by his friends brother. Thankfully that guy is still locked up. But I wouldn't say no there is no serial killer. Damn good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

How so many people claim to actually like Tom Waits or Bob Dillon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 out of step

Zodiac Killer, no doubt.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Yes, in Tim Pat Coogan's biography of Collins (published 1990) the assassin was named as Sonny O'Neill, an ex British army marksman. He claimed not to have known the identity of the officer he had shot until afterwards & apparently felt great remorse.
    Ex British army marksman. I again ask who shot him? They said ira ordrr . Perhaps not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

crannglas wrote: »
    Ex British army marksman. I again ask who shot him? They said ira ordrr . Perhaps not.

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/New-evidence-that-man-who-shot-Michael-Collins-met-him-twice-before-ambush.html

all in there

Zodiac Killer, no doubt.
    Is that one real? That is an eerie one. They never caught that person if real did they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

/\ The killer in Dirty Harry is based on the Zodiac Killer. /\

Why Bertie Aherne is not in jail.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

crannglas wrote: »
    Is that one real? That is an eerie one. They never caught that person if real did they.

They had one particular suspect in mind who was interviewed several times and released because of doubts about one or two pieces of evidence. When they finally did decide to arrest this suspect, it was too late. He died of a heart attack while the police were on their way to his home.

Zodiac Killer, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

iano.p wrote: »
    I think there might be a couple of serial killers around. But why would you say one is a taxi driver.

Frightening thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Why are the track motors and blade at the same end?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

An File wrote: »
    They had one particular suspect in mind who was interviewed several times and released because of doubts about one or two pieces of evidence. When they finally did decide to arrest this suspect, it was too late. He died of a heart attack while the police were on their way to his home.

It's a very interesting case. I'm not sure if it's the same person but I read something recently about a guy who claimed he had uncovered evidence that his father was the zodiac killer. It was interesting but of course, he had a book to sell so who knows. I can't remember his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It's a very interesting case. I'm not sure if it's the same person but I read something recently about a guy who claimed he had uncovered evidence that his father was the zodiac killer. It was interesting but of course, he had a book to sell so who knows. I can't remember his name.

I remember that guy. Gary L Stewart, and in fairness, his case was extremely compelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That case intrigues and frightens me as it is local to me. I dont let my son out of my sight.
    There is something very strange about it when you consider his school bag was found in a lane after it had been searched

That actually happened right down the road from me, but would have been when I was only a few months old - there were a few more scares about abductions attempts in white vans a few years later when I was in primary school also, always wondered if there was a connection there. I used to walk to school through that Avenue between Anne Devlin Road/Avenue most days, got a bit freaked out when I found out that's exactly where he went missing/where his schoolbag wa found!

Sad truth is he a probably up in the Feather Beds somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

TBH I can't understand the fascination people have with murders, real or fictional. By definition most murderers will try to avoid justice and so it's not really surprising that some of them did good clean up jobs or that given the thousands of murders some of the investigations were flawed or not even recognised as such.

In comparison the mystery of what happened to the Neanderthals is just awe inspiring. They had fire and tools and put flowers on graves.

The are Australian tales of volcanic eruptions from 40,000 years ago that were contemporary with the Neanderthals, and we have European art from back then.

Neandarthals had bigger brains and were much stronger than we are.

What would they be like to meet ?

One good theory for Neanderthals that I came across was that they were less social than humans and lived in small family groups rather than the larger tribes of humans. When the human tribes expanded they ended up competing for the same resources as the Neanderthals and there was only going to be one winner due to the weight of numbers. The humans could organise into big war parties, and the much smaller Neanderthal families would be overwhelmed.

The last Neanderthals were said to have lived in the South of Spain near Gibraltar. Those poor fellows would never have know that they were the last of their kind.

Why are the track motors and blade at the same end?

there not meant to be

track motors are to be at the rear of a track machine

iodler to the front....cheaper in event of damage

they are a good thing to inspect when buying secondhand....the wear pattern on the sprockets

you are driving it backwards:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

there not meant to be

track motors are to be at the rear of a track machine

iodler to the front....cheaper in event of damage

they are a good thing to inspect when buying secondhand....the wear pattern on the sprockets

you are driving it backwards:D:D

Stravos Murphy said they are, i did a course which was led by him. Definitely he said track motors and blade behind you.
    Obviously any machine over 8 toone dont have a blade so in this case put the track motors in front. Cant beat professional advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

In terms of Irish unsolved mysteries, this one is probably my favourite...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Crown_Jewels

Stravos Murphy said they are, i did a course which was led by him. Definitely he said track motors and blade behind you.
    Obviously any machine over 8 toone dont have a blade so in this case put the track motors in front. Cant beat professional advice.

think he's lying to you;)

I give you hint...many many years ago I worked in place selling track/plant machines and did training courses on them (as well as FAS/anco courses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Might be some answers regarding one of Ireland's missing women soon. Poor woman. :(

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/suspect-in-presumed-murder-of-fiona-pender-arrested-abroad-1.1959406

Those disappearance cases are so disturbing, but also intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,846 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Might be some answers regarding one of Ireland's missing women soon. Poor woman. :(

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/suspect-in-presumed-murder-of-fiona-pender-arrested-abroad-1.1959406

Read about this also earlier. Genuinely hope there is an arrest made or they find out where this poor girls remains are for her mothers sake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Was this guy the serial killer I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

LM is in his 40s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

I hope after all this that her family gets closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Pinesky wrote: »
    LM is in his 40s

My understanding is that this case is not part of the others cases, they believe they know who killed her but just haven't been able to prove it.

I really hope they are able to find her and bring her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

eviltwin wrote: »
    My understanding is that this case is not part of the others cases, they believe they know who killed her but just haven't been able to prove it.

I really hope they are able to find her and bring her home.

The same is true for Deidre Jacobs isn't it? Her family said her case was not connected as they had a pretty good idea who was responsible but no evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Sophie Toscan du Plantier murder. There was something about the circumstances of that event as well as the failure to identify her killer which,I believe,still resonates with many people even after eighteen years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Who left a fcuking log like a Hippo's front leg in the shitters in the Weston last Thursday.

Ffcuker must have a hole like the sleeve of an overcoat:eek:

Had to beat the fcuker down with the corner of me laptop.

:D:D:D:D:D Nearly spat wine all over the laptop

Advertisement