Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

DLMA23 wrote: »
    In 1860, a fax machine called the Pantelegraph, invented Giovanni Caselli, sent the first fax between Paris & Lyon.

Why did ut take till the 1980 before it came out then?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hootanany wrote: »
    Why did ut take till the 1980 before it came out then?
    The original fax used a 2m long cast iron pendulum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

The note was written in pencil, I never fully moved onto pens in secondary school :o

Pencil fades. I had a card left on a shelf for a while then one day I went to reread the message inside (it had been written in pencil) BAM...blank!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Some great Irish ones coming up over on the CT forum.

Michael Collins was shot by a dum-dum round from behind (possibly by his driver)

Dublin's "occult grid" :confused:

IRA is really run by MI5/6.

The conspiracy theory that Liam Lawlor was assassinated due to knowledge he had of corruption

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Some great Irish ones coming up over on the CT forum.

Michael Collins was shot by a dum-dum round from behind (possibly by his driver)

Dublin's "occult grid" :confused:

IRA is really run by MI5/6.

The conspiracy theory that Liam Lawlor was assassinated due to knowledge he had of corruption
    Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Colonel Percy Fawcett.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Colonel Percy Fawcett.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/21/research.brazil

Old but good article from The Guardian about him.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Shergar: Did he end up as dog food, or glue, or a Frenchman's meal?

Jill Dando: I wonder what she uncovered? I never believed that Barry George did it

Lochness Monster: Too many sightings for it to be an urban legend

Marilyn Monroe: Killed off imho.

Yours?

I met him earlier this year.Very strange man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

" his son's friend, Raleigh Rimmell. " No way could ye make That one up! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ditch wrote: »
    " his son's friend, Raleigh Rimmell. " No way could ye make That one up! :D

Make what up? :confused:

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    Make what up? :confused:

Colonel Fawcett .....

Shergar: Did he end up as dog food, or glue, or a Frenchman's meal?

Was he not taken by the PIRA and, later AK47'd in his stable, after they reckoned they couldn't get away with the ransom thing?

Forgive me but, the programme was on the tv in the pub. I'm pretty well deaf anyway. So, I had trouble following it over the hub ub.

I'd imagine it was an RTE documentary. They pretty much found the guys who were there. It was done for the horses main groom. The research and opening up.

Bit grim. Poor guy obviously loved Shergar. Not knowing must have been terrible. Finally hearing how he died though ....? :(

Surely this must be on Google? Or I need a check up from the neck up? One of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Sailing Stones

Jumbo sized rocks seemingly moving of their own will and defying physics in Death Valley California
    Oink wrote: »
    There ya go:
    http://www.livescience.com/37492-sailing-stones-death-valley-moving-rocks.html

"under certain winter conditions in Death Valley, enough water and ice could form to float the rocks across the muddy bottom of Racetrack Playa in a light breeze, leaving a trail in the mud as the rocks moved. Nonetheless, some visitors to Death Valley seem to prefer more occult explanations for the sailing stones."
    Sliding Rocks on Racetrack Playa, Death Valley National Park: First Observation of Rocks in Motion
    Abstract

The engraved trails of rocks on the nearly flat, dry mud surface of Racetrack Playa, Death Valley National Park, have excited speculation about the movement mechanism since the 1940s. Rock movement has been variously attributed to high winds, liquid water, ice, or ice flotation, but has not been previously observed in action. We recorded the first direct scientific observation of rock movements using GPS-instrumented rocks and photography, in conjunction with a weather station and time-lapse cameras. The largest observed rock movement involved >60 rocks on December 20, 2013 and some instrumented rocks moved up to 224 m between December 2013 and January 2014 in multiple move events. In contrast with previous hypotheses of powerful winds or thick ice floating rocks off the playa surface, the process of rock movement that we have observed occurs when the thin, 3 to 6 mm, “windowpane” ice sheet covering the playa pool begins to melt in late morning sun and breaks up under light winds of ~4–5 m/s. Floating ice panels 10 s of meters in size push multiple rocks at low speeds of 2–5 m/min. along trajectories determined by the direction and velocity of the wind as well as that of the water flowing under the ice

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

In 1994, Nicholas Barclay disappeared near his home in Texas at the age of 13.

3 years later, a young man turned up in a shelter in Spain claiming to be Nicholas. His sister flew to Spain to bring him home but the young man she returned with had different coloured eyes and hair to Nicholas and spoke with a French accent. Despite this, he was welcomed into the family as the long lost Nicholas.

The young man was later revealed to be a 23 year old French man named Frédéric Bourdin, known in Europe as the Chameleon due to his history of taking false identities. Nicholas is still missing.

A documentary film The Imposter was made about the incident and raises questions about why the family accepted this stranger into their home so readily and the possibility that they may have been involved in the disappearance. It is a really interesting film as it has interviews with Frédéric Bourdin and Nicholas' family.

This article about Frédéric Bourdin goes into a lot of detail about the case. It's long, but well worth the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Literally read through every page. not much i can add that hasn't already been mentioned but 10/10 thread. great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I've seen the imposter. Good, I think, I mean I don't really remember. I do however remember "it was the ears!" hilarious moment! :D

Watched a documentary the other night about a guy who had a stroke and woke up gay apparently. Not so great. But then that's not what this thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Admiral Darlan - who shot him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

cloud493 wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Darlan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

cloud493 wrote: »

I'm not familiar with this mystery at all. I find it slightly mysterious why some of these very sparse descriptions that crop from time to time up don't give us a bit more of a flavour of the mystery to get people interested. Having had my moan, I am going to look this guy up, but please future posters give me something to think about first.

Personally, I like the big mysteries, and mysteries don't come much bigger than the pyramids. The biggest one at Giza was built 4500 years ago over the course of 20 years according to current theories. A lot of the information about it's origin is guesswork. It's attributed to Pharoah Cheops (Khufu), but this is based on some words scratched onto a single stone, possibly by some of the workmen, not any kind of official name plate or anything like that. The rest of the interior was completely bare of any of the kind of adornments you'd associate with Egyptian burial chambers. In fact, apart from a roughly finished bottom part of a box that *may* have been intended to contain a sarcophagus, there's nothing inside the pyramid at all.

So someone (or some things!) built one of the most massive constructions ever seen on our planet (we're talking about moving a thousand tonnes of rock every day for 20 years to build this thing) and they put *nothing* into it. No pictures on the walls, no bits of broken pottery left behind by thieves, there is nothing in there. Something doesn't add up there.

The precision of the construction is incredible as well. The sides line up with the true axes of the earth to within tiny fractions of a degree. The corners are all perfect 90 degree angles. The base is perfecly flat to within a couple of milimetres. It's mindblowing how anything built on such a large scale could be so precise. Bear in mind that you'd be pushed to find a perfect right angle in any building built in the modern world, no matter how small. And again, nobody really knows why it was built either.

So this thing is just sitting there, not hiding away like a yeti, or a chupacabras, or a little green man from Mars. We can go and inspect it any time we like, and yet, we still don't know much about it at all. Very mysterious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

check_six wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with this mystery at all. I find it slightly mysterious why some of these very sparse descriptions that crop from time to time up don't give us a bit more of a flavour of the mystery to get people interested. Having had my moan, I am going to look this guy up, but please future posters give me something to think about first.

Personally, I like the big mysteries, and mysteries don't come much bigger than the pyramids. The biggest one at Giza was built 4500 years ago over the course of 20 years according to current theories. A lot of the information about it's origin is guesswork. It's attributed to Pharoah Cheops (Khufu), but this is based on some words scratched onto a single stone, possibly by some of the workmen, not any kind of official name plate or anything like that. The rest of the interior was completely bare of any of the kind of adornments you'd associate with Egyptian burial chambers. In fact, apart from a roughly finished bottom part of a box that *may* have been intended to contain a sarcophagus, there's nothing inside the pyramid at all.

So someone (or some things!) built one of the most massive constructions ever seen on our planet (we're talking about moving a thousand tonnes of rock every day for 20 years to build this thing) and they put *nothing* into it. No pictures on the walls, no bits of broken pottery left behind by thieves, there is nothing in there. Something doesn't add up there.

The precision of the construction is incredible as well. The sides line up with the true axes of the earth to within tiny fractions of a degree. The corners are all perfect 90 degree angles. The base is perfecly flat to within a couple of milimetres. It's mindblowing how anything built on such a large scale could be so precise. Bear in mind that you'd be pushed to find a perfect right angle in any building built in the modern world, no matter how small. And again, nobody really knows why it was built either.

So this thing is just sitting there, not hiding away like a yeti, or a chupacabras, or a little green man from Mars. We can go and inspect it any time we like, and yet, we still don't know much about it at all. Very mysterious.
    incidently
    http://io9.com/physicists-have-a-simple-answer-for-how-egyptians-built-1627604283

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

duploelabs wrote: »

Okay, so that explains how to get 2,000,000+ rocks to the right place. Then what do we do?

My plan only has: something, something, profit!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I continue to cling to the idea that the burial chambers that have been found were bluffs, and that the real one is still hidden and undiscovered somewhere inside the pyramid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

If you look at a dollar bill the pyramid has a big Crystal on the top definitely an Alien structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

who **** in the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

oh, turns out it was frank

• Registered Users Posts: 12 1time

what does the fox say?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

The Dyatlov Pass incident refers to the mysterious deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountians on the night of February 2, 1959. The incident happened on the east shoulder of the mountain Kholat Syakhl (Холат-Сяхыл, a Mansi name, meaning Dead Mountain). The mountain pass where the incident occurred has since been named Dyatlov Pass (Перевал Дятлова) after the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov.

The lack of eyewitnesses has inspired much speculation. Soviet investigators simply determined that "a compelling natural force" had caused the deaths. Access to the area was barred to skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident.The chronology of the incident remains unclear because there were no survivors.

Investigators at the time determined that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot into heavy snow and a temperature of −30 °C (−22 °F). Although the corpses showed no signs of struggle, two victims had fractured skulls, two had broken ribs, and one was missing parts of her face due to postmortem decay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Eramen; The Dylatov jobbie has been about done to death, in this thread, already. Not that I blame ye for not having read the entire thread (Which I have).

I'd only add, by way of update; That f**king so called 'film', made about it, a few years ago ....? Don't F**king Bother!

" Blair Witch " was the first (?) mainstream film to be shot with hand held cameras. That was absolutely dire.

This one's learned nothing.

• Advertisement

Eramen wrote: »
    The Dyatlov Pass incident refers to the mysterious deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountians on the night of February 2, 1959. The incident happened on the east shoulder of the mountain Kholat Syakhl (Холат-Сяхыл, a Mansi name, meaning Dead Mountain). The mountain pass where the incident occurred has since been named Dyatlov Pass (Перевал Дятлова) after the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov.

The lack of eyewitnesses has inspired much speculation. Soviet investigators simply determined that "a compelling natural force" had caused the deaths. Access to the area was barred to skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident.The chronology of the incident remains unclear because there were no survivors.

Investigators at the time determined that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot into heavy snow and a temperature of −30 °C (−22 °F). Although the corpses showed no signs of struggle, two victims had fractured skulls, two had broken ribs, and one was missing parts of her face due to postmortem decay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

I know its quite a long thread but try have a read of it if you can. We've had this one twice already ;)

Advertisement