Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Patchy~ wrote: »

Did you design that all by yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

In 1959, nine hikers are killed in the Ural mountains by a "compelling unknown force". "Their clothing, when tested, was found to be highly radioactive."

And; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

In 1959, nine hikers are killed in the Ural mountains by a "compelling unknown force". "Their clothing, when tested, was found to be highly radioactive."

And; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

Both mentioned on Page 2. Here's a mystery... How much of threads are people actually reading before rehashing the same ones over and over?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

mattjack wrote: »
    Did you design that all by yourself ?
    Haha nah, I've just come across it on my endless quest to discover what truly happens in that situation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Haha nah, I've just come across it on my endless quest to discover what truly happens in that situation ;)

you sick sick man

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

How do the get sardines into tins with no heads and never broken and packed like they are .I never found the answer on google searches .Can i mention lucan again .

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Great question that unfortunately we'll probably never be able to answer. The thing that we can sure of is that Oswald did not act alone, recent tests carried out in the book depository building proved it impossible to fire off the number of bullets in the time given. That second shooter disappeared and is probably dead by now.

that's pretty inaccurate

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

The thing that we can sure of is that Oswald did not act alone, recent tests carried out in the book depository building proved it impossible to fire off the number of bullets in the time given. That second shooter disappeared and is probably dead by now.

Back when the "time given" was mistakenly believed to be 6 seconds, it was proven to be possible (but difficult). However, since then, an alternative and plausible theory for when the first bullet was fired has been suggested, and this theory gives around 8 seconds, which is somewhat less difficult.

Anyone who has ever handled a rifle can tell you the bolt can easily be cycled twice in 6 seconds. Aiming is another matter - however whether or not Oswald could have aimed accurately or not is not only unproveable - it is actually not even a necessary component of the single-shooter theory.

For what it's worth, I believe Oswald did not act alone in his plan, but I do think he was the only shooter.

the 6 seconds time theory was taken from the zapruder film!but as the car turns onto dealy plaza, the film stops, for something like 5 seconds (he was saving tape).thats when the deduce the first shot was actually fired.great docu above!theres actually a doc on discovery now about who may have been behind the shootings (in a wider sense, i suspect, not doubting LHO was the sole shooter). going to watch on discovery +1 :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

the 6 seconds time theory was taken from the zapruder film!but as the car turns onto dealy plaza, the film stops, for something like 5 seconds (he was saving tape).thats when the deduce the first shot was actually fired.great docu above!theres actually a doc on discovery now about who may have been behind the shootings (in a wider sense, i suspect, not doubting LHO was the sole shooter). going to watch on discovery +1

Well indeed the 6 seconds theory may be based on the film, but there are multiple ways to interpret the film. Think about it, if the shot could have been fired any time during that 5 second gap, then the total time could be much more. There is plenty of time between shots 2 and 3 (don't ask me exactly ;) ) if you believe (as I do) that the second shot happens as the car emerges from behind the sign. I believe you can actually see this happening, as both Kennedy and Connoly have this sudden, simultaneous, violent reaction, where they both raise their arms defensively at precisely the same moment. Even if they were reacting to a sudden noise I wouldn't expect that level of coordination, and in fact you can see that's not the case anyway since no one else in the car even bats an eyelid. Something sudden and shocking has happened to these two - and only these two - at one very precise moment.

However for some reason there is still a lot of speculation about when the 2nd shot was fired, and some people even feel the need for more than 3 shots :confused: So the film unfortunately doesn't prove as much as you'd hope.

the researchers take all this into account, among other things in above-linked doc!they are very extensive in their approach!give it a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

As well as the other missing women in Ireland, I'd love to know whatever happened to poor little Mary Boyle...
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/03/18/missing-mary-remembered-35-years-on/
    Even after all these years it must be so hard for her family:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

See my post #941 for background story.

All will be revealed in the 1st week of June when another dive is to take place! http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/29/truth-is-out-there-about-ufo-in-baltic-sea-swedish-scientists-say/ I guessing that it is an underwater Geiser or the beginings of a submarine volcano, but by this time next week we should all know what it is! (its bloody big, that's for sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Karona wrote: »

Seems they think they might have caught the Alphabet murderer, nothing really led them to him, just a chance search of his house, he was on probation for a small time theft.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/26/alphabet-murderer

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LordSutch wrote: »

All will be revealed in the 1st week of June when another dive is to take place! http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/29/truth-is-out-there-about-ufo-in-baltic-sea-swedish-scientists-say/ I guessing that it is an underwater Geiser or the beginings of a submarine volcano, but by this time next week we should all know what it is! (its bloody big, that's for sure).
    How many Russian subs / WWII wrecks are there ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_submarine_incidents

It's nearly as bad as the Irish Sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

LordSutch wrote: »

if it was extraterrestrial we wouldnt have whats happening now, it would have already been secretly excavated/removed

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭diabloro

After a night out i woke the next morning in my clothes on and not really remembering coming home but at least i was in in my own place and my hangover wasn't too bad so i proceeded to the toilet. Thats when i noticed I had no jocks on under my jeans. Wherever i was and however i was with i still cannot remember. Total mystery to this day. I cringe everytime i think of it.

diabloro wrote: »
    After a night out i woke the next morning in my clothes on and not really remembering coming home but at least i was in in my own place and my hangover wasn't too bad so i proceeded to the toilet. Thats when i noticed I had no jocks on under my jeans. Wherever i was and however i was with i still cannot remember. Total mystery to this day. I cringe everytime i think of it.

Worse waking up naked at home covered in permanent marker and the last thing you remember is being 50 miles away and it was snowing. I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭diabloro

Worse waking up naked at home covered in permanent marker and the last thing you remember is being 50 miles away and it was snowing. I assume.

I took some zimovane the night before too and that causes complete memory loss :eek:

At Least my arse wasn't sore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

perhaps you invented teleportation. Clothes couldn't travel with you so the marker was a guide on how to reconstruct your body again. to bad you can't remember coulda made a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

fxn.ws/KlxtQL

I presume this was put up before but at the moment they are searching an Island where the remains of cosmetics consistant with a 1930's American female have been found.
    The bottles etc., look like they may have been used as cutting implements so rather than been lost at sea its thought Amelia and Fred may have landed on this Island and survived for a while.

Also, bell X1 wrote a great song about it :D

Fascinating

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Whatever happened to Trevor Deeley? Did he fall into the dodder and get blown out to the Irish Sea? Was he murdered? Or did he purposely disappear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Watched the Zodiac again for the billionth time today. Love that film. The case itself is really compelling. I cracked the cypher for the letters for the crack one day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac_Killer

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Whatever happened to Trevor Deeley? Did he fall into the dodder and get blown out to the Irish Sea? Was he murdered? Or did he purposely disappear?

Love to know what happened to him, his poor family, same for Philip cairns family

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Zodiac Killer. This person claimed to have killed 35 people in Northern California in the late 60s. Police never apprehended the murderer. Retired officers who worked on the case recently published a book claiming that George Russell Tucker was the perpetrator. They claim in their publication that he was protected in a cover up. The SFPD never officially investigated Mr Tucker and he died in February of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I remember watching this as a kid and been scared to think that if I ever went on plane I might be taken by aliens.

Still love to know what happened here. Nothing ever recovered. Sad for love ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentich_disappearance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Who, exactly, did let the dogs out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

The Philadelphia Experiment

... and various strange events from own life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

http://paraisnormal.wikidot.com/lake-anjikuni-eskimo-village
    Dont know if this has been posted or not before ,probably has but anyway I find it very freaky. Years ago in Alaska the entire population of a thriving eskimo town vanished into thin air. Never seen or heard of again. Around 1,500 people lived in the town before the population disappeared, the town was later found as it was left. No foot prints in or out, food cooking on stoves, teapots boiling, clothes being washed ,all supplies,food weapons left perfectly in place,all dogs in the towns were found starved to death.etc no difference except nobody was there...very creepy..must be something paranormal..no other explanation really imo.
    What was even more disturbin was finding that the Eskimos’ ancestral graves had been emptied, despite the frozen ground, the graves had been opened and the dead removed. :O even strange than that dyatlov pass case..

Advertisement