Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life outside BR

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

corny wrote: »
    Disappointed for the players today. You could see it meant a lot to them to get the win.

We played smart rugby in the first half but the French upped the pressure in the second and it eventually told.

SOB and Heaslip were excellent. Ryan and Marshall were very good too. Couldn't understand all the fuss about Murray though. He was solid and his kicks (apart from an absolute howler) were good but no way was he MOTM.

PSA is taking the piss with the French public. Sheer stubbornness prevented him bringing on Trinh-Duc and making Freddie take the final kick, as if to justify his faith in him, was hilarious. They can do so much better.

One more game with Kidney in charge.:cool:
    You would wonder about our fitness levels considering we havent scored past the 60th minute or so in any of the 4 6nations games this year
    Murray was the best he has been in a good while which is the fuss.
    Very typical french though in keeping him on ie bonkers

eoferrall wrote: »
    Good use of the roll eyes, adds weight to your argument/point.

maybe they are picked because they are the better players? ie a better package. can attack and defend rather than just defend? ;)

Anyway I am out this is in circles.
    It did add to my point esp when you didnt/couldnt see my point the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

ormond lad wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Of course they do but in the main if a sides backs can defend very well but cant score no matter what you will not keep picking them and you will choose players who can attack and score but who are not as good defenders

Not too sure I agree with this...

Backs have to defend as well as being able to attack, its not a secondary role for them. Look at Varndell for England for example. One of the best wingers in the premiership in England for the last few seasons, but because he cannot defend to save his life, he doesn't/won't get any caps for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

You would wonder about our fitness levels considering we havent scored past the 60th minute or so in any of the 4 6nations games this year
    Murray was the best he has been in a good while which is the fuss.
    Very typical french though in keeping him on ie bonkers

said the exact same thing to clampett on the irish offsite, also a good few injuries were happening near the end and some were due to tireness. four games and all them four games we starte well and tailed off.

marshall murray ryan best and omahony were my picks for mom anyway. didnt see much the first half tho

The Ireland Team to play Italy on Saturday is:
    15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster/45)
    14 - Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster/4)
    13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster/124)
    12 - Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster/2)
    11 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster/38)
    10 - Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster/2)
    9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster/18)
    1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster/38)
    2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster/66)
    3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster/28)
    4 - Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/Connacht/9)
    5 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster/27)
    6 - Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster/13)
    7 - Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster/26)
    8 - Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster/56) Captain
    Replacements:
    16 - Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster/25)
    17 - David Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster/6)
    18 - Stephen Archer (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
    19 - Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster/4)
    20 - Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster/4)
    21 - Paul Marshall (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)*
    22 - Ian Madigan (Blackrock College/Leinster/1)
    23 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College /Leinster/25)

Any opinions??
    Presume Toner is on bench ahead of OCallaghan because he will run lineout if Donnacha Ryan cant last the game which is likely considering he has been on injured list before every 6N game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

The Ireland Team to play Italy on Saturday is:
    15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster/45)
    14 - Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster/4)
    13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster/124)
    12 - Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster/2)
    11 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster/38)
    10 - Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster/2)
    9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster/18)
    1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster/38)
    2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster/66)
    3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster/28)
    4 - Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/Connacht/9)
    5 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster/27)
    6 - Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster/13)
    7 - Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster/26)
    8 - Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster/56) Captain
    Replacements:
    16 - Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster/25)
    17 - David Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster/6)
    18 - Stephen Archer (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
    19 - Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster/4)
    20 - Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster/4)
    21 - Paul Marshall (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)*
    22 - Ian Madigan (Blackrock College/Leinster/1)
    23 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College /Leinster/25)

Any opinions??
    Presume Toner is on bench ahead of OCallaghan because he will run lineout if Donnacha Ryan cant last the game which is likely considering he has been on injured list before every 6N game.

Team pretty much as expected and with injury list probably the one I would select. In a perfect world I think madigan is the man for this match, but having not started before, and with no sexton about jackson should remain. ideally Sexton would have been fit in all matches and jackson/madigan getting 20mins off the bench each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

As they proved against England the Italians can defend well against unimaginative attacks. They are good close to the ruck and fan out well in midfield. We've completely regressed in this regard from a good start against Wales. I reckon they'll drag us into a dogfight and finally beat us in the 6N's.

If we have to chase the game i hope Madigan and Marshall come on and do something special.

corny wrote: »
    As they proved against England the Italians can defend well against unimaginative attacks. They are good close to the ruck and fan out well in midfield. We've completely regressed in this regard from a good start against Wales. I reckon they'll drag us into a dogfight and finally beat us in the 6N's.

If we have to chase the game i hope Madigan and Marshall come on and do something special.
    While your last sentence is nice do you see it happening if we were chasing the game and they came on?
    If we do have to chase the game
    1 i cant see both coming on with enough time to do much and
    2 i cant see them both doing something "special" that would win us the game due to international inexperience and against a very buoyed up italian side.
    I dont think we're unimaginative if you are calling ireland unimaginative.
    Itll be a dogfight as it nearly always is with Italy but i think we'll just about get the win to finish off Kidneys reign with a win

While your last sentence is nice...

Its nice is it?

Do me a favour and don't respond to me. Your condescension irritates the **** out of me.

Lads keep it civil please, we've had a nice friendly forum lets not let it generate into sniping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Nice win for Munster today, you could see it meant a lot to them. Delighted for them, and great to see O'Connell munching up the opposition again :)

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Nice win for Munster today, you could see it meant a lot to them. Delighted for them, and great to see O'Connell munching up the opposition again :)

yup watched it in the pub before flight home from london. great intensity and munster starting to look good. Rog had shakey start, but pulled through. poc was awesome and lualua was starting to penetrate in 2nd half. quins couldn't front up and that was it then really.

Munster will be rally up against it in SMM against clermont though!

I know Paulie got MOTM but O' Donnell was immense in the loose. Fair play to ROG too.

Downey cutting Mike Brown in half was great entertainment!

Hope they do well in Clermont.

Quinns' kicker (can't remember his name) was a joy to behold whenever he struck the ball. Maybe it was just great camera work, but the ball just flew toward the posts like a golfball. Beautiful. Thought he'd win them the game, but nope.

Well, I reckon it's a better outcome than most were expecting...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/irfu-confirms-schmidt-as-new-ireland-coach-1.1376447

Was Schmidt just playing a really really good long game with his talk of returning home regardless, or was this offer a genuine game changer? Pretty good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flemishgael

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/irfu-confirms-schmidt-as-new-ireland-coach-1.1376447

Was Schmidt just playing a really really good long game with his talk of returning home regardless, or was this offer a genuine game changer? Pretty good though.
    I hope they made the right decision, but it could also be a banana peel considering the history he has with the IRFU and other provinces.
    I trust him, but he has to rely on the IRFU to succeed and I somehow doubt that all in the IRFU are fully convinced by his appointment.

I hope they made the right decision, but it could also be a banana peel considering the history he has with the IRFU and other provinces.
    I trust him, but he has to rely on the IRFU to succeed and I somehow doubt that all in the IRFU are fully convinced by his appointment.
    Dont see how it could be a "banana peel".
    What history does he have with the other provinces and IRFU that could impact him as irish coach?

It is a good decision by the IRFU. I would have liked to have seen somebody who hadn't worked in Ireland before but Joe is an excellent choice.
    Shame he is not in charge for the summer tour and Les Kiss is in charge.
    Will be interesting if he keeps many of the existing backroom staff

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flemishgael

Dont see how it could be a "banana peel".
    What history does he have with the other provinces and IRFU that could impact him as irish coach?

It is a good decision by the IRFU. I would have liked to have seen somebody who hadn't worked in Ireland before but Joe is an excellent choice.
    Shame he is not in charge for the summer tour and Les Kiss is in charge.
    Will be interesting if he keeps many of the existing backroom staff
    I agree he is the best man for the job.
    He did have his run ins with the IRFU before though and in many an interview has been quite critical of them. I do hope there's no grudges within the IRFU and I hope they all focus on the team and a common goal. Realistically though, and history teaches us this, is that managers don't have free reign like they do at the provinces and I hope that he will be able to work within these confinements.

my understanding was that he wanted to return home as nothing was keeping him here as he was leaving leinster to spend more time with his sick son and family. apparantly Ireland was the only position he would consider here since it is not a 7 day a week job and would have considerable periods to spend with family etc.

I agree he is the best man for the job.
    He did have his run ins with the IRFU before though and in many an interview has been quite critical of them. I do hope there's no grudges within the IRFU and I hope they all focus on the team and a common goal. Realistically though, and history teaches us this, is that managers don't have free reign like they do at the provinces and I hope that he will be able to work within these confinements.
    Dont see any issue's he's had as real run ins or that big a deal. Doubt there is any grudges at all as if there was he wouldn't have got the job.
    Provincial coaches don't have free reign either. Irish set up can call on players to be played different occasions. The top Irish players on national contracts can only play certain amount of games in specific periods is one example of that.
    eoferrall wrote: »
    my understanding was that he wanted to return home as nothing was keeping him here as he was leaving leinster to spend more time with his sick son and family. apparantly Ireland was the only position he would consider here since it is not a 7 day a week job and would have considerable periods to spend with family etc.
    Yes. Son has been getting medical treatment here and Irish position is not as intensive the entire season long like a job in a province is.

Dispite Schmidt not starting in role until after the summer tours I really hope he has input into the picking of the Irish squad going to America and Canada and Emerging Irish squad going to Georgia to play Georgia, Uruguay and a South African Presidents XV

• Advertisement

Lions team to play Barbarians named. Any opinions??
    Hogg
    Cuthbert Davies Roberts Maitland
    Farrell Phillips
    Vunipolo Hibbard A Jones
    Gray POC (capt)
    Lydiate Tipuric Faletau
    bench
    Healy, Youngs, Stevens, AW Jones, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, North.

Irish squads for various tours this summer have been named in recent weeks. The 20s squad for Junior World Cup is here while the squad for the senior tour to north America and the emerging squad for Tbilisi Cup in Georgia are named here
    Any opinions on these games??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Leinster players still have sore heads from celebrations?

Gelio wrote: »
    Leinster players still have sore heads from celebrations?
    No just being rested. Nearly all players who played league finals last weekend are playing for Lions this weekend and many will prob play Wednesday v Western Force

first lions squad is fairly wales heavy. hopefully gatland doesn't stick with what he knows and we're supporting the welsh team in the tests!!

hadn't realised the irish teams were out, though best has now been summoned to lions!

the USA squad looks very strong, and a good team. Bent on the emerging Ireland squad is a bit of a stand out!! though scrummaging against some georgians won;t be easy so will be good experience!!

Any thoughts on Lions tomorrow?
    Surprised there has not been more comment on Lions here the past few weeks
    Shame we lost likes of POC, CH but at least Murray, SOB have been called up this week.
    Croft covering 2nd row doesn't look good to me esp if a 2nd row goes off early. What does everyone else think?

O Driscoll dropped. How do people think we'll do tomorrow with such a welsh dominated side considering welsh lack of success against Australians in recent times.

O Driscoll dropped. How do people think we'll do tomorrow with such a welsh dominated side considering welsh lack of success against Australians in recent times.

want to go back to ballybunion for the day but i know ill end up watching and screaming even tho i know what plan A and i know there aint no plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Plan B is Plan A.... get with it Seanie

I was afraid I'd have to moderate. Then I realised I'd have to moderate myself. So, I didn't log on til the rage died down somewhat. But no, rage just kept building when pretty much every single player and pundit came out with a ":confused:" face and then all the stats and form went BOD's way. Baffled.

• Advertisement

FewFew wrote: »
    I was afraid I'd have to moderate. Then I realised I'd have to moderate myself. So, I didn't log on til the rage died down somewhat. But no, rage just kept building when pretty much every single player and pundit came out with a ":confused:" face and then all the stats and form went BOD's way. Baffled.

Ah but have the welsh(and that Kenyan in the club rooms) not told you Davies has the better stats :eek: come on fewi get with the program

Advertisement