Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life outside BR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

i will now i just didnt realise what the 2nd one was for

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

ormond lad wrote: »
    Jims, Westman, Seanand ye all applied for the rugby forum superbru pool. are ye going to apply for the blackout forum pool?

just applied there now, umm so i picked my round 1 results when i signed up last week, I cant change my picks once their confirmed correct?

and also, once i make my picks, are those picks saved to all the pools im involved in or do i have to set each fixture in each pool?? i confused myself typing that...

are you sure you cant change them?

ya its saved unniverally so only picked and it do all the pools your in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

TheJims wrote: »
    just applied there now, umm so i picked my round 1 results when i signed up last week, I cant change my picks once their confirmed correct?

and also, once i make my picks, are those picks saved to all the pools im involved in or do i have to set each fixture in each pool?? i confused myself typing that...
    once you make your picks you cant change them unless a game is cancelled and refixed.
    All picks are for every pool you choose to take part in
    seanand wrote: »
    are you sure you cant change them?

ya its saved unniverally so only picked and it do all the pools your in
    You cant change your picks once you make them unless a game is cancelled and refixed

1. Healy 2. Best 3. Ross
    4. McCarthy 5. Ryan
    6. POM 8. Heaslip (c) 7. SOB
    9. Murray 10. Sexton
    11. Zebo 12. Darce 13. BOD 14. Gilroy
    15. Kearney

16. Cronin
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Fitzpatrick
    19. DOC
    20. Henry
    21. Reddan
    22. ROG
    23. Earls

Well what do we think? my only bone of contention is perhaps.. Gilroy.. im just not 100% sold on him being ready for the 6 nations.. he was very good before xmas with Ulster, was very good against a Fiji team that didnt want to know and a tired Argentina.
    Then went kind of missing since? not starting ahead of Trimble at Ulster isnt good for him, and with Luke Fitz on the rampage the last few weeks, i think i would of preferring him?

• Advertisement

1. Healy 2. Best 3. Ross
    4. McCarthy 5. Ryan
    9. Murray 10. Sexton
    15. Kearney

16. Cronin
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Fitzpatrick
    19. DOC
    20. Henry
    21. Reddan
    22. ROG
    23. Earls

Well what do we think? my only bone of contention is perhaps.. Gilroy.. im just not 100% sold on him being ready for the 6 nations.. he was very good before xmas with Ulster, was very good against a Fiji team that didnt want to know and a tired Argentina.
    Then went kind of missing since? not starting ahead of Trimble at Ulster isnt good for him, and with Luke Fitz on the rampage the last few weeks, i think i would of preferring him?
    Dont see any issue with Gilroy starting. He has been very good this season and think Luke Fitz def should be behind him considering he is barely back. If Luke keeps up the good form in the next 2 weeks he should be called up for the 3rd/4th round of games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

1. Healy 2. Best 3. Ross
    4. McCarthy 5. Ryan
    9. Murray 10. Sexton
    15. Kearney

16. Cronin
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Fitzpatrick
    19. DOC
    20. Henry
    21. Reddan
    22. ROG
    23. Earls

I'd agree with Ormond, this match is too soon for Fitz. Gilroy is the type of player I would have on my wing if I was manager, skills and pace galore.

Himself, Zebo and Kearney will make a pacy attacking back three which excites me!

Don't have many issues with the selection for once, could argue for Henry over POM, but that won't win of lose the match I feel. I would go for Henry but there is not a huge gap between POM and Henry. If POM keeps his head and does his job then fine. I have no stats, but it feels everytime I see him play he is monthing off or getting into shoving matches etc.

i like it its the best team available pity we dont have a replacement for darcy yet. pom is an in your face flanker thats his job disruption.

i glad fitzpatrick is on the bench prob hasnt the greatest match fitness but looks better than bent to be honest

i like it its the best team available pity we dont have a replacement for darcy yet. pom is an in your face flanker thats his job disruption.

and POM has signed a Central Contract today for 2 years, so hes clearly judged as a major player in the plans for the next world cup.

Who do we think will replace Darcy? I imagine this will be his last 6N.

i glad fitzpatrick is on the bench prob hasnt the greatest match fitness but looks better than bent to be honest

I'd prefer that AFTER they were doing their own job like Alan Quinlan. he can be an annoying bugger all he likes once he is turning over balls and preventing ours/linking play and not conceeding penalties all over the place! he should be annoying because he is turning over ball and slowing down opposition ball, not because he is smack talking during a match. AQ was annoying because he was so damn good at slowing down ball and being in the right place not because he got verbally into faces.

(well that turned into a bit of a rant!!:o)

DF on the bench is a very good call, far better scrumager than bent and I'm sure while despite lacking fitness he can last 20mins!

• Advertisement

lol be cool eoferrall! POM gets thru a massive amount of work throughout his matches, lots of that unseen business around the breakdown and the hard yards (so many cliches.. spending too much time reading the rugby forum :pac: )

hes not all aggro and handbags, years of watching quinny & leamys gameplay has defo rubbed off on him thou.. and i think thats a good thing

lol be cool eoferrall! POM gets thru a massive amount of work throughout his matches, lots of that unseen business around the breakdown and the hard yards (so many cliches.. spending too much time reading the rugby forum :pac: )

hes not all aggro and handbags, years of watching quinny & leamys gameplay has defo rubbed off on him thou.. and i think thats a good thing

Yeah I noticed it came a bit harsh after posting! I just don't rate him above Locky or Henry to warrant jumping them I guess. Locky is a better version of him, does the defensive side very well and carries well. the description above could be attributed to Locky also. But POM won't let us down, he'll be solid.

Henry is an out and out openside, so SOB would flick back to 6... and POM is not a patch on SOB!

I just can't justify in my head his selection over Henry - SOB Henry Heaslip is a better backrow than with POM personally.

It's not my job, or ass on the line so meh - I will continue hoping the 23 taking the field win for Ireland each time!

Who do we think will replace Darcy? I imagine this will be his last 6N.
    marshall has to first in line, mcfadden defensive side is prob not great for 1st centre but that may also be because he doesnt play there enough. mcsharry and cave look good too but both play 2nd centre strangely enough im not worried about centres anymore. tho the 2nd choice for centre atm earls isnt playing great

marshall has to first in line, mcfadden defensive side is prob not great for 1st centre but that may also be because he doesnt play there enough. mcsharry and cave look good too but both play 2nd centre strangely enough im not worried about centres anymore. tho the 2nd choice for centre atm earls isnt playing great
    McSharry is a 1st centre not 2nd centre

is he taught he was 2nd i havent seen much of him tbh tho

is he thought he was 2nd i havent seen much of him tbh tho
    No he's a 12. Always been 12 not a 13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Loads happening in the last few weeks in real life rugby.

Have to say I'm as happy with the team named for Saturday as I have been with an Irish team for a long time. Would only make a couple of changes (Henry starting for POM, O'Gara dropped for Jackson, Madigan or Keatley, Reddan dropped for Boss or Marshall, and Court for Kilcoyne) and they are mostly on the bench so can't really argue with things.

As for other stuff, Sexton looking like he's gone, but noone knows where he'll end up for sure (maybe not even him yet!), Conway to Munster, POM getting a central contract so early in his national career (and related to that me only just hearing that SOB is still on a regional one!), all I can say is :eek:

Also I really hope Kidney finally decides on some rotation for the Italy and Scotland games. We have strength in depth in some areas and I would love to see the likes of Healy (who we have decent cover for and tends to pick up knocks during games) rested, or on the bench anyway. Would also love to see the likes of McSharry, Henderson and Jackson play some part in these games.

Edit: And just saw in the rugby forum that Healy and Ross have signed new deals!

mar-z wrote: »
    Loads happening in the last few weeks in real life rugby.

Have to say I'm as happy with the team named for Saturday as I have been with an Irish team for a long time. Would only make a couple of changes (Henry starting for POM, O'Gara dropped for Jackson, Madigan or Keatley, Reddan dropped for Boss or Marshall, and Court for Kilcoyne) and they are mostly on the bench so can't really argue with things.

As for other stuff, Sexton looking like he's gone, but noone knows where he'll end up for sure (maybe not even him yet!), Conway to Munster, POM getting a central contract so early in his national career (and related to that me only just hearing that SOB is still on a regional one!), all I can say is :eek:

Also I really hope Kidney finally decides on some rotation for the Italy and Scotland games. We have strength in depth in some areas and I would love to see the likes of Healy (who we have decent cover for and tends to pick up knocks during games) rested, or on the bench anyway. Would also love to see the likes of McSharry, Henderson and Jackson play some part in these games.

Edit: And just saw in the rugby forum that Healy and Ross have signed new deals!
    O Mahony is in alright form so Henry/POM was 50 -50 the same can be said for Court/Kilkoyne. Great depth for us at loosehead with 3 excellant choices in Court, Kilkoyne and Healy. Shame we dont have the same depth on the other side of the scrum.
    Sexton is gone but in the long term from an ireland viewpoint it is a good move as Madigan can now get starts in the Heineken Cup which he wasnt able to do with Sexton in situ.
    With the scottish game coming inbetween the english and french there may be some form of rotation but with a week off before and after the scottish game there may not be any rotation.
    SOB will have a central contract the season after next as his current contract is up at end of the season after this.
    Who would you drop for Henderson?
    He has mainly been playing backrow for Ulster this season so who would you drop to have Henderson in the matchday squad?
    McSharry should be involved and will get his chance this spring at some time and if he doesnt will play for ireland in the summer when Ireland play the US and Canada when the Lions are in Australia

ulster prob should have more representatives on it i prob would go with henry over pom(esp with wales havent propper grown hogs) and marshall and jackson on the bench but kilcoyne seems to be a better looking loose head than court has ever shown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

ormond lad wrote: »
    O Mahony is in alright form so Henry/POM was 50 -50 the same can be said for Court/Kilkoyne. Great depth for us at loosehead with 3 excellant choices in Court, Kilkoyne and Healy. Shame we dont have the same depth on the other side of the scrum.

Ah, as I said I'm as happy as I've been with the team in a long time. I wasn't particularly giving out about the choices, just saying that I would have made a few calls the other way.
    Sexton is gone but in the long term from an ireland viewpoint it is a good move as Madigan can now get starts in the Heineken Cup which he wasnt able to do with Sexton in situ.

I'm excited about how Madigan will dop alright. If he steps up half as well as Sexton did when he got the chance Leinster will be fine. And before this news came out I had been worried about Madigan leaving after his contract ended, so at least we have one of them still.
    With the scottish game coming inbetween the english and french there may be some form of rotation but with a week off before and after the scottish game there may not be any rotation.
    SOB will have a central contract the season after next as his current contract is up at end of the season after this.
    Who would you drop for Henderson?
    He has mainly been playing backrow for Ulster this season so who would you drop to have Henderson in the matchday squad?

For me Henderson would be part of the rotation I was talking about. I wouldn't be talking about 'dropping' anyone (which has a very negative connotation), for me it would be resting some players while playing others. To be clear, I don't see it happening, but would like to see him get a few minutes somewhere (I know it will never happen but give one of the starting backrows this week a week off, bench another for Henry and have Henderson to bring off the bench)
    McSharry should be involved and will get his chance this spring at some time and if he doesnt will play for ireland in the summer when Ireland play the US and Canada when the Lions are in Australia

He should definitely get a chance in the Summer, but I think he can do a fine job against Italy or Scotland and I've been wanting us to start blooding/rotating a couple of players into the squads for these games for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭westman1

what a buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

As 8 point wins go that was never wracking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

So glad for the Italians. The last few minutes of their match was insanely tense, didn't realise I was so emotionally invested until I found myself shouting at the TV! :D

Marler
    Youngs
    Cole
    Launchbury
    Parling
    Haskell
    Robshaw
    Wood
    Youngs
    Farrell
    Brown
    Twelvetrees
    Barritt
    Ashton
    Goode

Hartley
    Vunipola
    Wilson
    Lawes
    Waldrom
    Care
    Flood
    Tuilagi

vs

Healy
    Best
    Ross
    McCarthy
    Ryan
    O'Mahony
    O'Brien
    Heaslip (captain)
    Murray
    Sexon
    Zebo
    D'Arcy
    O'Driscoll
    Gilroy
    Kearney

Cronin, Kilcoyne, Fitzpatrick, O'Callaghan, Henry, Reddan, O'Gara, Earls.

im alot more confident now looking at the two teams tbh

yeah I am looking forward to this now! Happy they went with Barritt as his strenght is defensive I think, and to me that indicates they are setting out game plan to nulify us, rather than concentrating on their own game plan! (maybe I am reading too far into it!)

Hopefully Earls will have a massive game when he gets on, as he was poor last week.

other than that I expected the same 23, so wasn't surprised to see it. Though I have a niggling feeling that if ROG has to come on with any meaningful game time left we will be goosed. I just don't think he has the ability to play in this level a game anymore. his decline has been rapid in my view, and next season could be under serious pressure in Munster to get game time!

eoferrall wrote: »
    yeah I am looking forward to this now! Happy they went with Barritt as his strenght is defensive I think, and to me that indicates they are setting out game plan to nulify us, rather than concentrating on their own game plan! (maybe I am reading too far into it!)

Hopefully Earls will have a massive game when he gets on, as he was poor last week.

other than that I expected the same 23, so wasn't surprised to see it. Though I have a niggling feeling that if ROG has to come on with any meaningful game time left we will be goosed. I just don't think he has the ability to play in this level a game anymore. his decline has been rapid in my view, and next season could be under serious pressure in Munster to get game time!
    Yeah 36 and Barrett v Darcy and ODriscoll is such an advantage to us.
    Im disapointted ROG is on the bench. He isnt effective anymore apart from some elements of his kicking.
    ROG is already under serious pressure in Munster but has played the key games. He doesnt suit Penneys style of play with Munster and Keatley and JJ should be ahead of him.
    ROG imo shouldnt be on the bench as he only covers 10 and another option in 1 of Madigan, Jackson, Keatley can also cover 12/15 as well as 10 which makes the final outside back sub an easier decision to make as with ROG on the bench you have to have somebody like Earls/McFadden ie somebody who can cover at least 4 of the outside back positions

eoferrall wrote: »

i think you are but then if manus fit enough to be on the bench why isnt he fit enough to start?

i agree with rog but at the same time i think its too early for madigan jackson and keatley aswell. we will be goosed especially with rogs poor defense none of the english guys are small. did rog even come on last week? jackson would be my preferal on the bench but maybe just too soon

i think you are but then if manus fit enough to be on the bench why isnt he fit enough to start?

i agree with rog but at the same time i think its too early for madigan jackson and keatley aswell. we will be goosed especially with rogs poor defense none of the english guys are small. did rog even come on last week? jackson would be my preferal on the bench but maybe just too soon

no he was an unused substitute. I agree that it is too early for the next generation, but mainly as we have not seen them play in an international really so pretty much an unknown so ROG is there by default.

I'd have Jackson on the bench. he has played a couple and not looked out of place on the a's so see if ready for step up. I'd certainly have him on bench for Scotland, but will be unlikely.

It is possible Tulagi is not 100%, which in my view means he should not be on the bench. but maybe it is only as he has not played in a while so wouldn't be fully up to speed so when game is slower/looser at the end bring him on? just spitballing, SL is fairly good coach so knows what he's doing!

Manu is so powerful and quick he would be a great option to come on for england with 25-30 to go and bodies begin to tire.
    I dont think it is too early. Jackson has already played a heineken cup final and has experience of getting Ulster there even if he didnt play well in the final. Better sooner than later that one of the 3 are involved. O Gara is not up to international standard anymore and the 3 are the next in line so need to be tested
    O Gara did not play last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭corny

For me the set piece is the only area of likely superiority for the English. We've much better ball carriers and if i was English i'd be alarmed by the disparity in attacking threat from the 10,12,13 axis.

I've heard a lot about how physical their pack is too but are they really that physical? I mean will POM, SOB and Heaslip lose in any area against Wood, Haskell and Robshaw? They've more to fear for me. I'm delighted Mike Brown is wasted on the wing too.

In short, as always with the English, their bark is worse than their bite and if Ireland build on their performance against Wales they'll win a lot more comfortably then most people suspect. Only problem as i see it is consistency isn't a hallmark of Kidneys team.

Ireland by 13.

Advertisement