Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gloves At The Deli Counter

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I saw a deli assistant come out of the jacks with her gloves on and proceed to make sandwiches.

No you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    A week or two ago, I was at the deli counter in my local Tesco's. The girl working at the deli was changing the bin and then she spotted me a came over to serve me. She proceeded to use the same gloves that she was wearing when she changed the bin. I had to stop her and tell her to wash her hands and change her gloves. She replied why should she. Urgh, was tempted to say 'cause you're a manky bitch' but I held my tongue and told her it wasn't hygienic. She washed her hands & got new gloves and served me a couple of slices of turkey. But I didn't buy the turkey, I just left it down somewhere in the shop when it occurred to me that the girl had probably also used manky disgusting gloves when she was slicing the meat that morning.

The girl behind the deli counter was really dirty too. She had her long hair tied in a pony and it was covered in a net but her huge side fringe was loose and uncovered and her hair was completely covered in grease. It looked like she hadn't washed it in months. Her uniform was manky too. It had lots of stains on it. Why do shops employ dirty people like that to work in their deli's?
    well then thats the deli managers fault for not pulling her for it. or there was no clean whites, cos deli workers have to wait to get them back from laundry .not allowed to take them home to wash them. ive worked in deli,s. i brought me own whites with me so i would have no worrys . gloves are for not spreading germs on food, but it depends on the manjy mean penny pinching manager who tells the staff to use less gloves, but they are very cheap to buy, 2-3e for 80-90 pack..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

syklops wrote: »
    I used to work in a Deli, and tbh, I used to argue against the gloves. If you touch a piece of meat, you can feel the residue on your hand. This is an instant tactile reminder to wash your hands. In fact anything you touch, you can feel what it is. If you put your hand on the counter, and feel water, you dont know what it is, so you clean it and then wash your hands. Wearing gloves though, you dont have the same feedback, so you could pick up all kinds of residues from different things, and not know about it. Even if you changed gloves every 20 minutes, you could still, pick up all sorts of things.

Gloveless ftw.

I'd have to disagree with that. I change my gloves very frequently when working and if i've been wearing gloves a while i'd still know to change them if they are wet on the outside or dirty before i serve someone.

Even if they aren't feeling dirty i'd still change them if i've been wearing them more than 10-15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'd have to disagree with that. I change my gloves very frequently when working and if i've been wearing gloves a while i'd still know to change them if they are wet on the outside or dirty before i serve someone.

Even if they aren't feeling dirty i'd still change them if i've been wearing them more than 10-15 minutes.

Did you even read my post? Or just see "gloveless ftw" and write up a counter argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

bigneacy wrote: »
    It pisses me off when they use the same knife for all the food. Like I don't wanna taste what the person before me had. :mad:

couldnt agree more. I hate that tehy use teh same gloves knife and chopping board to prepare all foor. they cut chicken breasts on the same board they prepare food for vegitarians like me. I've often asked them to do me a fresh roll on a clean board with a clean knife. a lot are unhappy, though i find in some they are more than happy to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ah now, some people need to harden up here.

I remember as a kid, I would get 20p to go to the local sweet store on a Friday. It was a very small family run business and they also owned a farm. Some days you would have the old lad come in from the farm in his wellies and dirty hands and start picking the penny sweets out of the tub for us. No one ever batted an eye lid or made any comments, and no one ever got sick. If anything it probably built up our immune systems :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

jester77 wrote: »

I remember as a kid, I would get 20p to go to the local sweet store on a Friday. It was a very small family run business and they also owned a farm. Some days you would have the old lad come in from the farm in his wellies and dirty hands and start picking the penny sweets out of the tub for us. No one ever batted an eye lid or made any comments, and no one ever got sick. If anything it probably built up our immune systems :D

Unfortunately thanks to dettol, cilit bang and toilet duck, many people no longer have the immune system you had Jester, back in the 50s when you were a lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Years back. Local shop, the shopkeeper had hands that were jet black from newspaper ink. He'd come over to the ham slicer (remember it'd be just there on the counter, out front, big silver slicing disk..)

Ham would be placed, slanted, onto the slicer, machine started, ham sliced, straight onto the hand, then flopped onto grease paper. :D

..what did it take for the ham purchases to stop? My Mum and myself went in one day and spotted the perfectly sliced arse end of a blue bottle, perched on top of the cutting disk, wedged in the frame of the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

No you didn't.
    Yes I fcukin well did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I was in Delhi once, not one fúcker there wore gloves. They all gave me the same blank stare when I shouted at them for not wearing gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Plazaman wrote: »
    I was in Delhi once, not one fúcker there wore gloves. They all gave me the same blank stare when I shouted at them for not wearing gloves.

You need to shout in Hindi when you are in Delhi :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

jester77 wrote: »

But you were a kid so didnt know any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

This thread reminds me why I don't buy my bread in Superquinn. Its all exposed!!

I went in one day to get a vienna role and the guy in front of me proceeded to pick them up one at a time and squeezing them. I asked him not to touch the next one as I was going to buy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How do you think it got onto the shelf in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

stovelid wrote: »
    You ate the roll - and lived - though.
    You could get hit by a drunk driver and live, doesn't make it acceptable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

You'e are so worried about the gloves and I would be more worried about the fact that NO kitchen (deli, restaurant, whatever) workers in Ireland have any kind of health check!

They could have all disease existing o earth and it's sometimes enough to sneeze in wrong direction and you have it all over food!

In Poland before they will let you go near food you need to have several tests done (blood, urine etc). I was very surprised they dont do it here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

inkwell wrote: »
    You'e are so worried about the gloves and I would be more worried about the fact that NO kitchen (deli, restaurant, whatever) workers in Ireland have any kind of health check!

They could have all disease existing o earth and it's sometimes enough to sneeze in wrong direction and you have it all over food!

In Poland before they will let you go near food you need to have several tests done (blood, urine etc). I was very surprised they dont do it here!

what are you talking about? there's spot checks all over the country from health and safety.

what are you talking about? there's spot checks all over the country from health and safety.

What are spot checks? I am talking about medical examination. Before I got a job I wanted here I was working in a hotel ( 5star -no medical check and in 3 coffee shops - no health checks anywhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

What are spot checks? I am talking about medical examination. Before I got a job I wanted here I was working in a hotel ( 5star -no medical check and in 3 coffee shops - no health checks anywhere).

what are they meant to test you for?

• Advertisement

inkwell's talking about employee health checks. Isn't it a prerequisite in certain European countries to check for Hepatitis and Salmonellosis infection, along with some other ailments, before being cleared for food/catering jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

robman60 wrote: »
    Don't the gloves at the deli counter lose all purpose if the worker uses the same gloves for everything?

Today, while ordering a roll the slob behind the counter cleaned some dirt that was below the counter, before proceeding to make the roll. :mad:

In an attempt to recuperate my losses, I read a newspaper from the shop while still in there without paying for it. Felt good man, felt good. :cool:

I remember a guy in work telling me when he was in school that he got a roll in a deli and not only did the guy not anywhere gloves, when he got some mayo on his finger he sucked it off....my mate still ate the roll...still makes me smile when I think about it

what are they meant to test you for?

"Hepatitis and Salmonellosis infection, along with some other ailments" -exactly and some more. I am shocked they dont do this here.. ( and I dont eat out much)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

I work part time in a deli and we all follw the same procedure

Wash hands
    Gloves
    Make a sandwich
    Wipe down counter and knife
    Change gloves.

Our deli is very well run and as far as I know there hasn't been any complaints in 3 years. Really písses me off when i see the state of other places though.

Wipe down counter and knife

All day with the same cloth? ;)

(too be honest I feel sorry for you, I used to make sandwiches in a coffee shop - and I hated all those spoiled arrogant customers -still makes me sick when I think about it! Peasants who think they're better because you make a sandwich for them! :pac: - there was one regular who now does deliveries to place where I work and I have to check them (and I do very scrupulously _ I should post it in "revenge thread" :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

All they with the same cloth? ;)

(too be honest I feel sorry for you, I used to make sandwiches in a coffee shop - and I hated all those spoiled arrogant customers -still makes me sick when I think about it! Peasants who think they're better because you make a sandwich for them! :pac: - there was one regular who now does deliveries to place where I work and I have to check them (and I do very scrupulously _ I should post it in "revenge thread" :D )
    It depends how dangerous I'm feeling ;)

Hahaha I totally understand. It's true what they say, working in retail, makes you lose faith in humanity. All a shower of demanding cúnts!

Oh so you want a no butter wheat free brown bread sandwich, filled with dreams and happiness?

Fúck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

People have gone a little silly recently with this obsession about germs. Hygiene is important sure, but avoiding germs completely is just stupid, your immune system becomes weak if is not attacked.

If you're so concerned about germs at the deli counter, don't buy stuff from the deli counter. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I used to work in a butchers part time 17 years ago and the boss said to me after christmas one year, "we're gonna make lamb burgers out of all those rotten turkeys left over from christmas, get the lamb preservitive and mix loads in"

We didn't use gloves either and if someone came back with a stake and wanted it tenderised, he'd fart at it in the fridge and bounce it off the walls to make it tender, a quick rinse under the tap to get sawdust off and bobs your uncle.

I heard he pissed in the mince once when the top dried over, although I don't know how true that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

robman60 wrote: »
    You could get hit by a drunk driver and live, doesn't make it acceptable though.

The analogy would be a little better if I paid a drunk driver to hit me every afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭onion rings

Nothing about most ppl. Me included going into mc dons. Paying in cash and then sitting down to wolf a few double cheesburgers.

Advertisement