Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gloves At The Deli Counter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Takeaway/Fast food joint staff don't wear gloves either. Again, the whole - hot surface and glove scenario prevents that.

I wouldn't have a problem with a deli worker making my sandwich with no gloves on, so long as they washed their hands beforehand.

I was in a takeaway once and seen a member of staff sneeze into their hands and then go to start wrapping the chips. Friend of mine told him to go and wash his hands before he touched our food. He looked at him like he was a freak. Dirty bastard. Washed them tho... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

I remember a few years ago I was waiting to be served at a deli. It was very busy as it was lunch time and there were about 3 girls serving. They were all wearing gloves but then I spotted one of them coughing into her hand while the glove was on and then continued to serve people without changing it. I nearly got sick. I left the queue and got my lunch elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

robman60 wrote: »
    Today, while ordering a roll the slob behind the counter cleaned some dirt that was below the counter, before proceeding to make the roll. :mad:

You ate the roll - and lived - though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I used to work in a deli and was very conscious of my gloves and when I should change them. I know the boss was concerned with how many I was using though,tight bastard. Once I was asked to change my gloves by a customer but that wasn't because I had done anything.

The subway I used to go to in limerick the girl there used to handle money and then make the next subway,every time I had to ask her to change her gloves.she never copped on to what she was doing wrong.

I get being disgusted at a deli worker not changing their gloves but you can hardly complain if you just put up with it. Ask them to change them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Don't get me started on the deli in my local...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Ah yea but in Dominoes you are all separate - i.e. the guy who is putting the toppings on the pizza isn't the same guy as is putting money through the till, etc.
    In shop delis, it's often the same person doing both!

As a side note, why don't Dominoes workers wear gloves? Is it just not a company requirement, or is there a specific reason why gloves shouldn't be worn?

I think its a company requirement for a few reasons, (it also probably saves them money!), but to me it is often more hygenic to wash your hands every 5-20 mins rather than wear the same gloves for a few hours. Like if we handle fish or spicy foods, we have to wash our hands immediately, which gloves wouldn't allow so it would be easier to cross-contaminate stuff like that.

But yeah you would be too close to a hot oven aswell, very easy for them to melt onto your hands, then a nice little law suit heads their way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Restaurant chefs don't wear gloves so why should pizza chefs. It would be a bitch to handle and roll pizza dough with gloves. Maybe dominoes dough comes pre rolled.

Oh yeah I never thought of that too, yeah we couldn't "slap" (Dominos term for ya) a pizza with gloves on, not possible!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Any restaurant you go to, fast food or otherwise, the people preparing your food do not wear gloves, the emphasis is put on washing and sanitizing your hands before handling food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

I saw a deli assistant come out of the jacks with her gloves on and proceed to make sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Bought a sandwich in Dublin about 2 weeks ago, the guy didn't use gloves at all! And neither did another worker, I don't think the place even had gloves! Wouldn't have taken the sandwich but it was seriously cheap! :P

Dublin ? we never wear gloves in Dublin....just to annoy country folk like yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

RichieC wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the deli in my local...

Ok:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

There's no point in worrying too much about things like this. It is absolutely gross but if you thought about it, you would never eat out anywhere. I've seen Eddie Rockets staff come out of the toilets without washing their hands and start preparing food, chefs coming back from the bathroom or from having a smoke without washing their hands. Deli workers sneezing into their hands, then serving the next person with the same gloves. In fact, when I'm trying to save money by not eating out, I think about these things and it always puts me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

A week or two ago, I was at the deli counter in my local Tesco's. The girl working at the deli was changing the bin and then she spotted me a came over to serve me. She proceeded to use the same gloves that she was wearing when she changed the bin. I had to stop her and tell her to wash her hands and change her gloves. She replied why should she. Urgh, was tempted to say 'cause you're a manky bitch' but I held my tongue and told her it wasn't hygienic. She washed her hands & got new gloves and served me a couple of slices of turkey. But I didn't buy the turkey, I just left it down somewhere in the shop when it occurred to me that the girl had probably also used manky disgusting gloves when she was slicing the meat that morning.

The girl behind the deli counter was really dirty too. She had her long hair tied in a pony and it was covered in a net but her huge side fringe was loose and uncovered and her hair was completely covered in grease. It looked like she hadn't washed it in months. Her uniform was manky too. It had lots of stains on it. Why do shops employ dirty people like that to work in their deli's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Gloves aren't a huge deal

The thing that sickens me is old wans coming in and squeezing all the loafs and baguettes to see if it's soft and fresh
    They are all the same, yet they insist on checking several

And after they've crushed them they don't even bother buying it :mad:

You crush the bread, you buy it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I'm never eating anything again that I didn't grow or kill myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

when you pay at a deli , do you wash your hands after handling the money ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,202 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

meh, the gloves are just a product of an overly paranoid society, I don't particularly care if they wear them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

People are too up their arse about Health and Safety.

Anybody remember as a kid when, you'd drop food, pick it up and eat it?
    You didn't die then, did you?

I can understand asking someone to change the gloves if they pick their arse or something.

But it makes no difference, you touch the dirty door handle when you come into the shop, you then probably touch the counter, then handle dirty money to pay, get dirty money back. Go out touch the door handle again, then open your car etc... pick out your sausage roll and eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Tis all good for the immune system

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

I work in a deli and I try my best to change gloves between taking orders and taking money and serving tables. Though sometimes I have to admit, on busy days when I'm working by myself I sometimes forget to change gloves between handling cash and making food. I know it's unhygienic, but then when you think about it, how many customers wash their hands in between paying me and eating their food?
    I've only once had a customer complain to me about the handling of their food and imo she was out of line complaining. She asked for a slice of lasagna and I used a knife to cut it, and a scoop to lift it out..she then refused to pay for it because I wasn't wearing gloves when holding the knife and scoop :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Wearing gloves when handling food just seems to make people think "ah now I'm grand and being clean" but I see a lot clean the counters with god knows what then make the food, accept money then go on to make more food.

I was pleasantly surprised when the deli girl took one glove off to accept money - then put it back on.

I don't really see the point of gloves except in hospitals and for cleaners and times when you need to protect your hands. Because they are no substitute for cleaning your hands regularly. They give a false sense of hygiene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I used to work in a Deli, and tbh, I used to argue against the gloves. If you touch a piece of meat, you can feel the residue on your hand. This is an instant tactile reminder to wash your hands. In fact anything you touch, you can feel what it is. If you put your hand on the counter, and feel water, you dont know what it is, so you clean it and then wash your hands. Wearing gloves though, you dont have the same feedback, so you could pick up all kinds of residues from different things, and not know about it. Even if you changed gloves every 20 minutes, you could still, pick up all sorts of things.

Gloveless ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

YBTurbo wrote: »
    People are too up their arse about Health and Safety.

Anybody remember as a kid when, you'd drop food, pick it up and eat it?
    You didn't die then, did you?

I can understand asking someone to change the gloves if they pick their arse or something.

But it makes no difference, you touch the dirty door handle when you come into the shop, you then probably touch the counter, then handle dirty money to pay, get dirty money back. Go out touch the door handle again, then open your car etc... pick out your sausage roll and eat it.

+1

A lot of paranoid little pussies around the place.

Fussy eaters and hygiene freaks are a scourge!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I'm going to be honest and say that is the least of my worries at most deli counters. They use the same pair of gloves all day long anyway so they're going to get dirty regardless of whether they are cleaning or not. The fact of the matter is that most of these places aren't cleanly to begin with so a more likely cause of contamination would be during the actual preparation/storage of the food rather than the making of your roll.

Also for people saying it won't kill you, no shít. I'd still rather minimise the chance of me getting food poisoned or ill due to them not changing their gloves more often. It's not like the gloves are expensive or tough to change pair. Personally, I'm not too bothered because if you're going to a deli you know what you're going to be dealing with hygiene wise anyway. If you don't want to take the risk then don't eat there because it's not going to change any time soon unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

syklops wrote: »
    I used to work in a Deli, and tbh, I used to argue against the gloves. If you touch a piece of meat, you can feel the residue on your hand. This is an instant tactile reminder to wash your hands. In fact anything you touch, you can feel what it is. If you put your hand on the counter, and feel water, you dont know what it is, so you clean it and then wash your hands. Wearing gloves though, you dont have the same feedback, so you could pick up all kinds of residues from different things, and not know about it. Even if you changed gloves every 20 minutes, you could still, pick up all sorts of things.

Gloveless ftw.

Agreed. Gloves protect your hands from getting dirty not the gloves from getting dirty. It's basically an extra layer of skin around your hand that you can't feel and thus won't wash or change them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

You can ask them but then be prepared for them to exercise their only power over you.

Stop please.
    Can you change your gloves, thanks, im a little worried about cross contamination when you use the same gloves for cleaning as for prepping food.
    Great thanks, I appreciate it.

*receives extra shíttily prepared sandwich with too many onions, too much mayo, too little meat and the soggiest piece of lettuce in the house*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

And what about Eddie Rockets?

"Our staff use an active hand sanitiser...."

Not when I am watching them they dont !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

You can ask them but then be prepared for them to exercise their only power over you.

Stop please.
    Can you change your gloves, thanks, im a little worried about cross contamination when you use the same gloves for cleaning as for prepping food.
    Great thanks, I appreciate it.

*receives extra shíttily prepared sandwich with too many onions, too much mayo, too little meat and the soggiest piece of lettuce in the house*

well then go somewhere else for your food. seriously not all deli staff want to piss you off.

I would never have thought anything of people asking me to change gloves. that's just childish. if you don't trust the hygiene of a place, either complain to management or shop elsewhere. don't pay for a ****ty sandwich you think has been spat in anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Not much use wearing gloves if you scratch every itch.

I Watched someone cut and handle a Pizza slice for me, central Dublin, not a bother on the person, scritch scritch, a bit of deep scalp massage, followed by a sly finger nose exploring adventure, finished off with some hand wiping down by the crotch.

I walked, not the end of the world, just a slice.. but it just turned me, I felt quite whoozy thinking about the nose picking. I was surpised by how much it affected me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

robman60 wrote: »
    Don't the gloves at the deli counter lose all purpose if the worker uses the same gloves for everything?
    This would be the deli-counter with the ingredients lying there in a bacteria-friendly bains-marie since 7am that morning?

Advertisement