Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Giveitfong wrote: »
    This is a good team but, to my knowledge, Waterford have never won an underage match against Cork in Cork.

Your knowledge, unsurprisingly, is correct.

Waterford-Minor-results-v-Cork-in-Cork-1928-2012-500x431.jpg

Waterford-Under-21-results-v-Cork-in-Cork-1966-2010-500x298.jpg

(Of course I could be wrong, but I'm always open to correction.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

deiseach wrote: »
    Your knowledge, unsurprisingly, is correct.

Waterford-Minor-results-v-Cork-in-Cork-1928-2012-500x431.jpg

Waterford-Under-21-results-v-Cork-in-Cork-1966-2010-500x298.jpg

(Of course I could be wrong, but I'm always open to correction.)

2010 is wrong we beat Cork in Walsh Park in a replay that year, only to lose the Munster final to Clare 4 days later

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

robopaddy wrote: »
    2010 is wrong we beat Cork in Walsh Park in a replay that year, only to lose the Munster final to Clare 4 days later

Talking about in Cork though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Tomorrow is as good a time as any for that record to end. This is a very confident and talented group of players who will have no fear of Cork. It is potentially one of the strongest minor teams we have had in my view and am delighted that we now seem to be putting our strongest XV on the pitch, something which for whatever reason we haven't been doing in previous years. If we can feed that full forward line there will be goals. Hon the Deise!

doz wrote: »
    If we can feed that full forward line there will be goals

Get them on the senior panel NOW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

deiseach wrote: »
    Get them on the senior panel NOW!

lol

and the funny thin about it they probably will call some of these young lads up in a year or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

There is no doubt in most people's minds that there are definitely at least 5-6 of these lads who have the potential to make the step up. I won't go through names as I don't believe it's right to be hyping lads at that age or indeed not mentioning others who may well make it but I would be very excited about the future potential of some of these lads. What I particularly like is that we have some good old fashioned physical players among this group, something badly lacking in the senior squad. I can only hope that we work them through the systems correctly rather than just firing them onto the senior panel straight from minor and get the very best out of them.

There is no doubt in most people's minds that there are definitely at least 5-6 of these lads who have the potential to make the step up. I won't go through names as I don't believe it's right to be hyping lads

But you don't mind getting my hopes up. If we don't have a forward line consisting of six ballet-dancers built like brick sh!thouses in three years time, I'll be gunning for you!

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Talking about in Cork though....

Just thought Id clarify it seeing as it was up in black and white

robopaddy wrote: »
    Just thought Id clarify it seeing as it was up in black and white

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

The winning of the game may come down to how much influence Pa O’Callaghan will have on the game. A player that has greatly benefited from the strength and conditioning work this current cork minor team have been doing since U15 he comes across more as a senior player and will properly start on the cork senior team next year. There could be rustiness since the layoff from the Clare game but win or lose there are some excellent hurlers in this crop that will star for Waterford over the next 10 years. Hope it goes well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

There is no doubt in most people's minds that there are definitely at least 5-6 of these lads who have the potential to make the step up. I won't go through names as I don't believe it's right to be hyping lads at that age or indeed not mentioning others who may well make it but I would be very excited about the future potential of some of these lads. What I particularly like is that we have some good old fashioned physical players among this group, something badly lacking in the senior squad. I can only hope that we work them through the systems correctly rather than just firing them onto the senior panel straight from minor and get the very best out of them.
    You know that wont happen though, i'd love to see them stay on the u21 team for a few years but as soon as aussie gleeson and stephen bennett are finished minor they'l be thrown straight onto the senior panel, it's good that there's a few lads who are minor again next year from this team so they'l have another year through the system. I can count 8 or 9 lads who I believe have the potential to make the senior panel after seeing them in club games, harty cup or on county duty this year and last.
    Reminds me of the 09 minor team, 10 players from that team are currently on the senior panel, which is a fantastic return

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Barron and nagle out. Nagle with concussion seemingly after Offaly game. Paudie Mahony and Richie foley in. Expect a big win Saturday. No excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

glick6 wrote: »
    Barron and nagle out. Nagle with concussion seemingly after Offaly game. Paudie Mahony and Richie foley in. Expect a big win Saturday. No excuses.

Wonder will Paudie Prendergast move to wing back and Richie Foley into midfield. Hopefully Nagle is alright as he really had a stormer on Saturday.

No surprise with Mahony in for Barron. Barron struggled the last day and Mahony played very well when he came on.

Would be nice to put down a marker. Not really something we've done too much over the years - put up big scores. Hopefully we can on Saturday.

shud have brian o halloran, shane walsh and jamie nagle back for the 3rd round qualifier, any idea when that would be on?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    shud have brian o halloran, shane walsh and jamie nagle back for the 3rd round qualifier, any idea when that would be on?

Paidi P to wing back with Richie midfield yea. Paidi Mahoney centre forward. Jake in the corner. Seamus named at full with Maurice back on the wing.

Two weeks Saturday I think.

You will be lucky to see brian o Halloran play again this year unfortunately if what I hear is correct. Shane Walsh and nagle, yes they'll be back.

Looked back on the cork Clare game this evening. Corks man marking job on tony Kelly was very good. He was never involved. I can't understand why management left him so loose In our game. Really should have left brick loose and had someone do a shadow job on him. Hindsight!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hullo from mexico, wedding was great and honeymoon going great too. Delighted we got through against Offaly.

So now it's Westmeath on Sat, has PTH2009 been on to predict our demise in that one yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

KevIRL wrote: »
    Hullo from mexico, wedding was great and honeymoon going great too. Delighted we got through against Offaly.

So now it's Westmeath on Sat, has PTH2009 been on to predict our demise in that one yet?

Nah hopefully he'll be along soon because we might end up jinxed otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

KevIRL wrote: »

Westmeath put up a score of 4-12 against Galway last year but lost by 5-19 and Wexford put up a score of 3-22-2-9 against them and this year they scored 2-13 agaisnt Antrim . There a team that can score goals and will be a tough challenge. It would be a massive set back for Waterford to lose to Westmeath but if we cant beat a division 2 team than we dont derserve to be in the competition.

Fermanagh can also help Waterfords cause on Saturday. If Westmeath beat them in the football than the Westmeath supporters will be on a high and will stick around to support the Hurlers.

Would love to head up but going to daytripper at least i get to hear it on the radio. Getting a bit nervos about the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Anyone heard any rumours from KK about a death of a person related to a KK legend? Was briefly mentioned on their thread but didn't go into details and this was the reason why they were poor against Dublin.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Westmeath put up a score of 4-12 against Galway last year but lost by 5-19 and Wexford put up a score of 3-22-2-9 against them and this year they scored 2-13 agaisnt Antrim . There a team that can score goals and will be a tough challenge. It would be a massive set back for Waterford to lose to Westmeath but if we cant beat a division 2 team than we dont derserve to be in the competition.

Fermanagh can also help Waterfords cause on Saturday. If Westmeath beat them in the football than the Westmeath supporters will be on a high and will stick around to support the Hurlers.

Would love to head up but going to daytripper at least i get to hear it on the radio. Getting a bit nervos about the match
    what the f*** are you nervous about?

Paidi P to wing back with Richie midfield yea. Paidi Mahoney centre forward. Jake in the corner. Seamus named at full with Maurice back on the wing.

Two weeks Saturday I think.

You will be lucky to see brian o Halloran play again this year unfortunately if what I hear is correct. Shane Walsh and nagle, yes they'll be back.
    really? I heard it's a few weeks and will be ready for the 3rd qual. Poor fella has no luck at county level at all if it's another few months out

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Teebor15

STIG83 wrote: »
    Anyone heard any rumours from KK about a death of a person related to a KK legend? Was briefly mentioned on their thread but didn't go into details and this was the reason why they were poor against Dublin.

Yes I heard the same tragic news. Not sure what kind of bearing it would have on Dublin game. Could affect the teams performance in either a negative or positive way ie..they could go out and put in a brilliant performance dedicated to their former colleague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Looking forward to the Minor game tonight, as always it is impossible to call a minor game and regardless of the result there is certainly alot of talent there and it is a positive season already with the performances by some of the lads, even taking into account the loss against Tipp. What we are hoping for tonight is a good performance, hopefully setphen bennett has a few weeks training under his belt after his injury and approaching top form.
    As I said a win would be great but the fact that we are now producing competitive minor teams on a consistent basis is the real postive from the last few years and lets hope that continues.
    A win tonight and this panel will eb hurling together well into the summer. heres hoping anyway!

Deise_2012 wrote: »

2 weeks after but lets just concentrate on Saturday night. Westmeath deserve to be respected they have come on a lot have been very competitive at minor and u21 in Leinster over the past few years, and ran Galway close last year put 4-12 on them.
    We didnt lose to Offaly because we were switched on and need to be the same against Westmeath. Trust me this will be their All Ireland final and would love nothing more that to give a county like us a real fright in their own backyard. They are hoping we are going to go up there expecting a stroll in the park and I hope the players and management are a lot more clue in than some ofthe people on here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Its true. Died on Friday or Saturday and buried yesterday as far as I know.

(Sister to a player that hold's All-Ireland medals from the last few years).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I think it is funny that PTH2009 gets a hard time on this cos of their views.
    For someone to write off Waterford every time they play, From what I see this person still goes to nearly every game to support Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

For someone to write off Waterford every time they play, From what I see this person still goes to nearly every game to support Waterford.

Maybe he, like myself, spent his formative years going to matches in the 80's seeing us get some awful hammerings, I think I am hard wired to be negative before every game as well, even against westmeath!
    that empty sickening feeling leaving those games as a kid, often in tears... espeically when I have over 50 first cousins from Cork... the pain the pain of it all (I am also hard wired to hate cork)

• Advertisement

The posts are clearly designed to get a reaction. Don't be surprised that they get a reaction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement