Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Lawlor getting way too much stick here. He made a terrible mistake yesterday but other than that he's been the best full back we've had in years. Full back is not about being fancy, it's about minding the house and sometimes that means playing the man.
    I wonder were Clare people calling for Patrick Donnellan's head after his careless pass out of defence gifted Jake Dillon his goal in Thurles. At the very least you'd have expected him to be stripped of the captaincy for his crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

So looks like we will be playing Tipp more than likely if we get past Westmeath which you'd expect.

Would much prefer Dublin, its been a while since we beat this Tip team in championship, 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Would much prefer Dublin, its been a while since we beat this Tip team in championship, 2008

True, but we beat them in the league already this year. They're good, but they're not invincible.

If only KK had lost to Dublin yesterday, it would have been KK v Tipp in one of the qualifying rounds - one of the big boys out like that would have thrown things wide open! Could still happen of course but I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

While there is a lot of hurling to be done before we might end up playing Tipp, I'd still be very wary of them. Before the Limerick game we'd have put them in the top 3 teams who had a shot of an All Ireland, and you'd imagine they could still turn it on.

The problem we'd have against Tipp in particular is that their half back line would lord it against our half forward line, making it very difficult for us to make gain any possession, and putting our backs under huge pressure. Normally they put someone very mobile at centre forward who can roast Brick also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

We Can't make an AIF without meeting Tipp KK or Galway .and sooner or later we will need to cut our teeth on more difficult fare.

as far as i am concerned any wins after the westmeath match will be a bonus , we just have to hope we will go as far as we can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

We can't meet Clare again but Dublin could beat Tipp.

I would expect Tipp to come through that game if it did happen, but that's only if they're much improved. Dublin have home advantage. And that's assuming Kilkenny improve more next weekend than Dublin do, which again is no guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Wouldnt write Dublin off next weekend either the qualifier draw has added extra spice to the replay. The loser knowing they'll face a qualifier with Tipp. Until Kilkenny get Shefflin, Fennelly, Jackie Tyrell and Paul Murphy back they are beatable. weve seen that time and time again they are not the same team without the King

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

We can't meet Clare again but Dublin could beat Tipp.

I would expect Tipp to come through that game if it did happen, but that's only if they're much improved. Dublin have home advantage. And that's assuming Kilkenny improve more next weekend than Dublin do, which again is no guarantee.

That's my hope, if Dublin end up playing and beating Tip I think we'd have a much better crack off them, all ifs and buts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Looking forward to game on Sat, have a lot of family from the Mullingar area so should be a good day out, pity I'll have to sit through the football though! With all due respect to Westmeath who have a decent crop of young players at the moment, we should be winning pretty well and we need to be raising some green flags. Doubt there will be many changes but def expect to see Tony on the field at some stage! Paudie Mahony probably in for Jamie Barron and maybe Shane Walsh in if he's fit, possibly for Seamus.

Tough looking after this but was always going to be the way once Cork won yesterday. At our current level we will never be expected to beat KK or Tipp but we are going to have to beat them at some stage to achieve our ambitions and who knows this might be the year.

Assuming generously that it is ourselves, Tipp, Clare and Wexford, any chance these games could be a double header in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

doz wrote: »
    Assuming generously that it is ourselves, Tipp, Clare and Wexford, any chance these games could be a double header in Cork?

Jaysus, it's hard enough following Waterford without inflicting that dump upon us again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

doz wrote: »
    Looking forward to game on Sat, have a lot of family from the Mullingar area so should be a good day out, pity I'll have to sit through the football though! With all due respect to Westmeath who have a decent crop of young players at the moment, we should be winning pretty well and we need to be raising some green flags. Doubt there will be many changes but def expect to see Tony on the field at some stage! Paudie Mahony probably in for Jamie Barron and maybe Shane Walsh in if he's fit, possibly for Seamus.

Tough looking after this but was always going to be the way once Cork won yesterday. At our current level we will never be expected to beat KK or Tipp but we are going to have to beat them at some stage to achieve our ambitions and who knows this might be the year.

id say a double header in Thurles will be out of the question as Tipp will be playing. Possibly Clare vs Wexford in Thurles and Waterford vs Tipperary in Nowlan Park. Doubt Cork will be considered as Bruce Springsteen is playing there on Thursday 18th July and these games will be fixed for 13 July. Maybe Nowlan park will get a double header or something like that.

If its Dublin or Kilkenny id say a double header in Thurles would happen. But still We have to beat Westmeath first and what a shock that would be if we were to lose that

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Well done to Waterford.
    You were miles the better team.

Offaly Management was as per normal shocking. Your midfield distroy ours. The madness of sending every puck out to the one player from Offaly was hard to look at.
    the stupidity of put a 5"7 lad in on Brick Walsh with 15 mins left didn't help our cause.
    I though we did ok in the first half apart from Midfield, Carroll was not at the races. everytime we look like we were going to put a run of score together one of your midfielder found himself in space to set up your forward.
    If its was not for Lawlor give Dooley the ball for the goal we would have being beating at half time.
    Waterford won't be to far away from any team they play. well least you have your best players playing in there best postions.
    unlike offaly we have a midfield playing conner back and wing back and a conner forward playing in midfield.

Best of luck for the rest of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

People seem to be taking it that Waterford are going to be playing Tipp. But as far as I reckon, we have a 50-50 chance of playing Tipp (Assuming they win their next match) and Wexford.

Pairings could go:

Waterford v Wexford

Clare v Tipp/Dublin

So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Step 1: Beat Westmeath this Saturday

Step 2: Pray for a favourable draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

runjb wrote: »
    People seem to be taking it that Waterford are going to be playing Tipp. But as far as I reckon, we have a 50-50 chance of playing Tipp (Assuming they win their next match) and Wexford.

Pairings could go:

Waterford v Wexford

Clare v Tipp/Dublin

So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Step 1: Beat Westmeath this Saturday

Step 2: Pray for a favourable draw

Do we not automatically have to play a winner of Phase 2 in Phase 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keanes Road

We do have play a phase 2 winner, meaning we can't get Wexford.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-hurling-all-ireland-senior-championship/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-hurling-all-ireland-senior-championship/

We can not play Wexford in phase 3.

Phase 3

Phase I winner vs Phase 2 Winner
    Phase I winner vs Phase 2 Winner

Sanario 1
    So Phase 1 say Wexford and Waterford Win
    Phase 2 Tipperary and Clare Win
    Phase 3 will be
    Wexford vs Clare
    Waterford vs Tipperary

Sanario 2
    Wexford and Waterford Win Phase 1
    Phase 2- Clare and Dublin win phase 2

Phase 3 will be
    Wexford vs Clare
    Waterford vs Dublin

Sanario 3
    Wexford and Waterford win Phase 1
    Phase 2- Clare and Kilkenny win

Phase 3
    Wexford vs Clare
    Waterford vs Kilkenny

Sanario 4
    Wexford and Waterford win Phase 1
    Phase 2- Laois and Tipperary win

Phase 3
    Waterford and Wexford will be in one bowl
    Laois and Tipperary will be in another bowl

A draw will be made to determinne pairs

Sanario 5
    Waterford and Wexford win Phase 1
    Laois and Dublin win phase 2

Phase 3
    Wexford vs Laois
    Waterford vs Dublin

San 6
    Waterford and Wexford win Phase 1
    Laois and Kilkenny win phase 2

Waterford and Wexford will be in one bowl
    Laois and Kikenny will be in another bowl

A draw will be made to determinne pairs

San 7

Carlow and Waterford win Phase 1
    Tipperay and Clare win Phase 2

Phase 3
    Waterford vs Tipperary
    Carlow vs Clare

San 8
    Wexford and Westmeath win Phase 1
    Tipperary and Clare win phase 2

Wexford and Westmeath in one bowl
    Tipperary and Clare in the other

draw to determine phase 3

cant happen in Phase 3
    Waterford vs Clare
    Wexford vs Dubin

A draw will only be made if teams in phase I and Phase II have not played each other yet in the championship and it will be Phase 1 teams in one Bowl Phase II teams in another.

PHASE 1 TEAMS CANT PLAY ONE ANOTHER IN PHASE 3
    PHASE 2 TEAMS CANT PLAY ONE ANOTHER IN PHASE 3

Waterford minor team v Cork

1. Gavin Power Dungarvan
    2. William Hahessey Clonea
    3. Kevin Daly Dungarvan CAPTAIN
    4. Cian Leamy Ballyduff Upper
    5. Tom Devine Modeligo
    6. Austin Gleeson Mount Sion
    7. Shane Bennett Ballysaggart
    8. Conor Gleeson Fourmilewater
    9. Michéal Harney Bonmahon
    10. Adam Farrell De La Salle
    11. Colm Roche Shamrocks
    12. Cormac Curran Brickey Rangers
    13. Patrick Curran Dungarvan
    14. Stephen Bennett Ballysaggart
    15. Michael Kearney Ballyduff Upper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

A strong minor team on paper, should be a terrific game. We will probably be slight favourites but very few sides leave Pairc Ui Rinn without a serious battle. Weather forecast is good too, should attract a big crowd. Nice handy 2 min walk to ground for me also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

robopaddy wrote: »

1. Gavin Power Dungarvan
    5. Tom Devine Modeligo
    11. Colm Roche Shamrocks
    Delighted with that team, the only 2 faults I could find from their win over clare was the goalkeeper puck outs and the full back at times. Looks a very strong team best of luck to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

1. Gavin Power Dungarvan
    5. Tom Devine Modeligo
    11. Colm Roche Shamrocks
    Best of luck to the Minors on Wednesday evening. It would be a great boost to get a win in Cork. Some lovely talent here so go lads have the belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Delighted with that team, the only 2 faults I could find from their win over clare was the goalkeeper puck outs and the full back at times. Looks a very strong team best of luck to them!
    Anyone else find it intresting that it's 4 western players replacing 4 eastern ones? Maybe common sense prevailing in the end.

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Anyone else find it intresting that it's 4 western players replacing 4 eastern ones? Maybe common sense prevailing in the end.

no words can describe how moronic that post is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That's a strong minor team, lethal FF line of Curran, Bennett and Kearney. Plenty of ball winners in Gleeson, Cormac Curran, Roche and Harney. Should be a good game and we have a good shout to win on Wednesday.
    Best of luck to the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

shoddy14 wrote: »

So....how are things back in the Stone Age then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

no words can describe how moronic that post is

Moronic is too kind a term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Deise_2012 wrote: »

Maybe that is why there was changes in these positions.

I have not seen the keeper that was used in the games with Tipperary and Clare with his club, but does anyone know if it is true that he does not play in goal for Clonea and seldom if ever has. The Keeper this time out does play there for Dungarvan and for the Colleges and is bound to be a plus going into the game. Delighted to see Kevin Daly back in as well. Don't know why he was left out the last day. He is a very good player. Having Bennett back in the forwards after his lay off is also a plus for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

quickest route from dungarvan to pitch when i hit cork?, rather than going through the city out south douglas road, thanks.

quickest route from dungarvan to pitch when i hit cork?, rather than going through the city out south douglas road, thanks.

Id say under the tunnell and turn off for Mahon as you would going to Pairc Ui Caoimh

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Turn left at the Dunkettle Interchange (first traffic lights on way into Cork) and go through the Jack Lynch tunnel. Take the first exit, turn right over the dual carriageway and carry on to a major junction (just past modern Ordnance Survey and Central Statistics Office office buildings on the right). Turn left here (onto Skehard Road) and then right at the next main junction onto Church Road. Carry on to T junction with Blackrock Road and turn left. At the Venue pub (is it still called that?) which is on the left, turn right down Maryville. You will see Páirc Uí Chaoimh at the bottom of the hill in front of you. You might be better off to park up around the Venue and walk down to the pitch.

Glad to see the team has a goalkeeper (and an experienced one at that) in goal and they have found room for Conor Gleeson in midfield. Slightly surprised there is no place for DJ Foran (good ball winner) but he is a hell of a sub to be able to bring on. This is a good team but, to my knowledge, Waterford have never won an underage match against Cork in Cork and have repeatedly failed to turn up on the night, even when they had very good teams on paper. If the management can get their heads right, they certainly are capable of getting through here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I've just realised the game is on in Páirc Uí Rinn rather than Páirc Uí Chaoimh. This might suit Waterford as it is a less intimidating venue for visiting teams.

As regards directions and going back to my previous post, having turned left onto the Skehard Road, rather than turning right onto Church Road, continue straight on until you come to a big roundabout. Turn right here up Ballinlough Road, past Cork Constitution rugby ground (on left). Páirc Uí Rinn is just down to the left at the top of the hill. There is a big pub (I think it's called The Silver Key) on the left as you go up the hill from the roundabout which is a good place for a prematch pint or sandwich. Probably best to park around here too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement