Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Post Primary

There are plans underway to amalgamate the Vocational schools and the Colleges competitions . Voc schools and other colleges play each other after their respective munster finals to determine who progresses onto All Ireland Semi. A similar thing will happen on friday when St Aug SF C munster winners will play the Voc winners Kilmichael of Clare to see who advances to the All Ireland Semis. That game is on in Lattin outside Tipp town on Friday at 12.30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I'd love it if O'Neills reissue some old gaa jerseys.I would love to buy a 1990 Cork jersey and the 1993 Cork jersey which is my favourite.There was a fella on the PROC site that had the 1993 one when he was a kid but the Barrys Tea logo and the Cork crest came off in the wash!So there is a market there if O'Neills want to tap into it.That 1993 Cork jersey was a brilliant one!Here's a site hear showing all the jerseys counties have had going back to the mid 90's in Waterfords case.My favourite Waterford jerseys would be the 2001 and 2002 season ones and the 1995 Tedcastles Oil jersey.

http://www.prideinthejersey.com/waterford.html

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Is it too early to name starting 15's.Here's the Cork team i'd start.

Anthony Nash

Shane O'Neill Stephen McDonnell Conor O'Sullivan

Stephen White Christopher Joyce William Egan

Lorchan McLoughlin Daniel Kearney

Paudie O'Sullivan Pa Cronin Conor Lehane

Pat Horgan Cian McCarthy Stephen Moylan

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Is it too early to name starting 15's.Here's the Cork team i'd start.

Anthony Nash

Shane O'Neill Stephen McDonnell Conor O'Sullivan

Stephen White Christopher Joyce William Egan

Lorchan McLoughlin Daniel Kearney

Paudie O'Sullivan Pa Cronin Conor Lehane

Pat Horgan Cian McCarthy Stephen Moylan

Few new names in the Cork team this year. A county of yer size will always have decent players knocking around even if ye are not wining all irelands at underage, it's just a matter of finding them.
    Jimmy Barry Murphy seems to have done well so far rebuilding the team, letting go some of the old guard was necessary as they carried too much backage from the time of the strikes and are now more united. Ye now have a more youthful team with players obtained from some decent U21 sides in munster the past few seasons playing a good brand of hurling with high skill level and self belief that JBM has instilled in them. Ye are heading in the right direction but it will be a while yet before ye can beat kilkenny and match them physically on the field. Against waerford though ye proberly will be favourites after that 12 point win over tipperary.
    Good luck to Wit tomorrow in their semi final against Mary I. hopefully they'll make the final on Satherday.

alllcounty wrote: »
    Few new names in the Cork team this year. A county of yer size will always have decent players knocking around even if ye are not wining all irelands at underage, it's just a matter of finding them.
    Jimmy Barry Murphy seems to have done well so far rebuilding the team, letting go some of the old guard was necessary as they carried too much backage from the time of the strikes and are now more united. Ye now have a more youthful team with players obtained from some decent U21 sides in munster the past few seasons playing a good brand of hurling with high skill level and self belief that JBM has instilled in them. Ye are heading in the right direction but it will be a while yet before ye can beat kilkenny and match them physically on the field. Against waerford though ye proberly will be favourites after that 12 point win over tipperary.
    Good luck to Wit tomorrow in their semi final against Mary I. hopefully they'll make the final on Satherday.

This current Cork team is a long way off all ireland winning standard.At the moment there's not enough physicality but the hurling seems to be there which is encouraging.I think JBM is looking to blood as many players as possible this year.It's probably a short term pain for hopefully long term gain approach.I personally myself felt that JBM should have kept on some of the old guard.I don't want to go into detail but i always backed those players to the hilt during the strikes because i have a huge problem with the Cork county board and the manner that they run the Gaa in Cork.Just look at the the state of the pairc for example!The shadow of the strikes will always linger until a certain member of the county board is no longer involved.The encouraging thing though is that there is some progressive people emerging in the county board like Tracey Kennedy and Ger Lane.As for the match Tipp were a shambles last saturday.Waterford down in the Fraher Field will be a much tougher challenge.This should be a nice good physical test for JBMS young team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'd love it if O'Neills reissue some old gaa jerseys.I would love to buy a 1990 Cork jersey and the 1993 Cork jersey which is my favourite.There was a fella on the PROC site that had the 1993 one when he was a kid but the Barrys Tea logo and the Cork crest came off in the wash!So there is a market there if O'Neills want to tap into it.That 1993 Cork jersey was a brilliant one!Here's a site hear showing all the jerseys counties have had going back to the mid 90's in Waterfords case.My favourite Waterford jerseys would be the 2001 and 2002 season ones and the 1995 Tedcastles Oil jersey.

http://www.prideinthejersey.com/waterford.html

Definitely they'd make a few quid off them, I'd love that Waterford jersey from 98 with the Gain Feeds and green/yellow/blue sleeve, was me first Waterford jersey!
    Looking at some of the other county jerseys too bring back memories, I used to have that Cork jersey circa 99 with the Esat Digifone logo and the Limerick jersey around the same time with that Morans Red Cow logo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Huge game for the footballers on Saturday evening in Fraher Field. I'd encourage everyone who is available to go in for a look. This should be a cracking game.

Both sides have a 100% record going in, so this game will most likely decide the outcome of the division. On top of that, Waterford have won the last three league games against Limerick both home and away, so Limerick will want to put that right.

Any word on the Waterford team? Will Gary Hurney start as he is available after suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

hardybuck wrote: »
    Huge game for the footballers on Saturday evening in Fraher Field. I'd encourage everyone who is available to go in for a look. This should be a cracking game.

Both sides have a 100% record going in, so this game will most likely decide the outcome of the division. On top of that, Waterford have won the last three league games against Limerick both home and away, so Limerick will want to put that right.

Any word on the Waterford team? Will Gary Hurney start as he is available after suspension?

Waterford GAA WaterfordGAA
    WD v LK.Enright, Phelan, S.Pender, O’Gorman,Grey,Briggs (C), JHurney, S.Aherne, T.Pender, Lonáin, Whyte, P.Hurney,Guiry, R.Aherne, Nugent

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Very interesting selection and a big sign of confidence in the team to not name Hurney?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

solarith wrote: »
    Very interesting selection and a big sign of confidence in the team to not name Hurney?

Hurney is a great footballer but he is also a complete liability. Lost count of the amount of times he has been sent off for stupidity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

deisedude wrote: »
    Hurney is a great footballer but he is also a complete liability. Lost count of the amount of times he has been sent off for stupidity

Last year against Wicklow was a great example of that. Talk to Wicklow people, and they always mention their fear of Hurney. They laid a trap for him and he fell straight into it. Waterford more than likely would have won that game had they 15 men on the field.

Despite that, he's a player who can be the difference between Waterford winning and losing. I think Carew has probably taken the right decision. They've won the first two games without him, the lads who played in those games need to be rewarded for performances. Hurney will have to earn his place back, and that's probably good for all concerned.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Definitely they'd make a few quid off them, I'd love that Waterford jersey from 98 with the Gain Feeds and green/yellow/blue sleeve, was me first Waterford jersey!
    Looking at some of the other county jerseys too bring back memories, I used to have that Cork jersey circa 99 with the Esat Digifone logo and the Limerick jersey around the same time with that Morans Red Cow logo!

I have a special place in my heart for the 99 esat digiphone one.I can't believe that summer was nearly 14 years ago.Whenever i look at that jersey memories of that summer when i was a 15 year old kid come flooding back.To be honest i wasn't a big fan of the jerseys Waterford wore in the 03 04 and 05 seasons.That 2002 one remains the benchmark for me that was a lovely jersey!

hardybuck wrote: »

To be honest i think Limerick will win this but i would love to be proven wrong.If Waterford win this then they will be looking good for promotion.btw I don't think Limerick have ever got the credit they deserved for their efforts over the last decade.They shouldn't be even in division 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

deisedude wrote: »

The fcuker has cost me money so many times. Every second time I back Waterford he gets the line!

One of the lads has done a fantastic match preview by the way, well worth a look IMHO:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-waterford-vs-limerick/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

To be honest i think Limerick will win this but i would love to be proven wrong.If Waterford win this then they will be looking good for promotion.btw I don't think Limerick have ever got the credit they deserved for their efforts over the last decade.They shouldn't be even in division 4!

Limerick never seem to perform in the league. They are a completely different animal in the championship

keane2097 wrote: »
    The fcuker has cost me money so many times. Every second time I back Waterford he gets the line!

One of the lads has done a fantastic match preview by the way, well worth a look IMHO:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-waterford-vs-limerick/

That reminds me of a Cork supporters reaction when Billy Morgan took off James Masters against Limerick in the 07 championship when the game was won.Billy what are you at yell's out your man?Keep him on will ya i have that fella backed to be top scorer in the championship this year!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

Any updates on the carlow match would be appreciated:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 DeiseTom2

Cake Man wrote: »

With the County Board in need of money, it could be worth their while to try and get some of the old jerseys back in the shops. The 98 one was without doubt Waterford's nicest. However I dont think O'Neills would go for it as Waterford get their jerseys now from Azzurri

DeiseTom2 wrote: »
    With the County Board in need of money, it could be worth their while to try and get some of the old jerseys back in the shops. The 98 one was without doubt Waterford's nicest. However I dont think O'Neills would go for it as Waterford get their jerseys now from Azzurri

I don't know Deise Tom i love the 2002 one especially the crest on the sleeves and the blue shorts were Justins idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

As long as no one decides it would be a good idea to put the 'essence' logo ones back on sale. Rotten!

Knowing our beloved county board's tendancies for bright ideas you wouldnt rule it out mind.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

Any updates on the carlow match would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Mary Immaculate College Limerick 1-17 Waterford IT 1-15

Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) passed up a great opportunity to qualify for the Fitzgibbon Cup final when they allowed themselves to be outfought by a more focused and committed Mary Immaculate College Limerick (MICL) side in Galway this afternoon.

MICL qualified for their first Fitzgibbon final despite playing for 50 minutes with 14 men after their star centre back Declan Hannon of Limerick was red carded following a dangerous high tackle on a WIT player.

Even before this incident occurred, WIT displayed a very casual approach to the game, failing to avail of a lot of good early possession by trying to waltz their way through the MICL defence. The Hannon dismissal produced the time-honoured response where the team a man short greatly increased their work rate while WIT appeared to relax even further, assuming the game would fall into their lap.

Thus, all over the pitch MICL were first to the breaking ball, drove through anaemic tackles and seemed to win every 50:50 ball. They were led heroically up front by Clare star John Conlan who won ball after ball and in the process gave WIT fullback Liam Lawlor a torrid time. The Clonlara man ended up with a tally of 1-9, of which 1-3 came from play. Not far behind Conlan in the man-of-the-match stakes was another Clonlara man, Colm Galvin, who turned in a prodigious display in midfield. However, this was a day in which all the MICL players were heroes.

WIT’s cause was not helped by a leg injury which saw Noel Connors leave the field midway through the first half, while a similar fate befell the third Waterford player in the WIT fullback line, Stephen O’Keeffe, in the second half.

The teams went in at half time with MICL ahead 1-7 to 0-8, the goal coming around the 20 minute mark when Conlan finished to the net from close range after he was hooked at his first attempt. We expected WIT to resume with more fire in their belly, but it was MICL who owned the third quarter to go into a five point lead before WIT finally woke up, driven on by Wayne Hutchinson at centre back and Kilkenny man Eoin Murphy in the forwards. They got the break they needed when centre forward Michael Sheedy finished Stephen Roche’s long delivery to the net, and when Pauric Mahony fired over the equaliser from a free as the game moved into added time it seemed that extra time was inevitable.

However, referee James McGrath, whose officiating right through seemed rather eccentric, played no less than eight minutes of added time, during which MICL substitute Mark O’Connell landed a massive free from his own half of the field, with Cork’s Luke Farrell driving the final nail into the WIT coffin with a late insurance point.

The best of the Waterford players on view by a long shot was Wayne Hutchinson, whose absence from the Waterford senior panel is difficult to fathom. Despite receiving an early yellow card, he held the centre of the half back line, repeatedly winning ball in the air and distributing it expertly, and providing leadership when it was most needed in the fourth quarter.

Jake Dillon had a useful game up front, notching three points from play. Pauric Mahony racked up six points (two from play) but had a couple of costly misses from frees and is clearly still well short of full match fitness.
    While Gavin O’Brien and Martin O’Neill scored a point apiece, they had little impact on the game and both were replaced in the second half. Stephen Roche put in some good work in midfield in the second half. For MICL, Brian O’Halloran only managed one point and didn’t appear to be in the game much. Killian Fitzgerald of Passage came into the game early on and put in a useful shift in the midfield area.

Even with 15 players, MICL will be up against it in the final against UCC, who demolished tournament favourites UCD in the second half of the other semifinal to run out comfortable winners by 1-20 to 0-14. The UCD team featured established intercounty players in Rory O’Carroll and Oisín Gough (Dublin), Willie Phelan, Cillian Buckley, John Tennyson and Walter Walsh (Kilkenny, although the latter two didn’t start), Conor Alliss (Limerick), Garret Sinnott (Wexford) and Noel McGrath (Tipperary). However, they failed completely to break down a resolute UCC defence in which their half back line of James Barry, Dara Fives and William Egan were magnificent.

However, the UCC man-of-the-match was emerging Cork star Conor Lehane, who finished with 0-9 (0-3) from play and caused major problems for UCD right through.

After fairly even early exchanges, UCC got a grip on the game to open up a four point lead, but UCD finished the half strongly to level up the scores at 0-9 each going into the break. The introduction of John Tennyson played a key role in this turnaround, but the Kilkenny man failed to maintain his impact in the second half. Tipperary star Noel McGrath was completely anonymous in general play although his freetaking was impeccable, with an eventual haul of 0-8.

UCC completely dominated the second half, notching 1-11 to just 0-6 for UCD. The goal came late in the game and was converted from close range by Ballygunner’s Brian O’Sullivan after the UCD goalie had made a good save. O’Sullivan also scored two points from play and earned two converted frees for a very satisfactory outing. UCD threw in Kilkenny’s All-Ireland final hero Walter Walsh in the second half to no effect. They had Conor Alliss (wearing number 6 but playing in the forwards) dismissed for an off-the-ball incident towards the end. This meant that a Limerick player wearing No. 6 was red-carded in both games.

Neither Paudie Prendergast nor Barry Coughlan saw any game time here, and indeed I did not see any sign of Prendergast in the pre-game puck-around. The UCD substitute goalkeeper was Michael O’Sullivan of Tramore while Dean Crowley of St. Saviours was also named in their panel of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

tonc76 wrote: »
    Waterford GAA WaterfordGAA
    WD v LK.Enright, Phelan, S.Pender, O’Gorman,Grey,Briggs (C), JHurney, S.Aherne, T.Pender, Lonáin, Whyte, P.Hurney,Guiry, R.Aherne, Nugent

Football team looking very strong and the panel is better too, having Gary Hurney to come in. Few years back you would think that the best footballers in the county weren't making themselves available. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore and by all accounts the current set up is very professional. We have a good record against Limerick and I fancy that to continue this weekend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

KevIRL wrote: »
    As long as no one decides it would be a good idea to put the 'essence' logo ones back on sale. Rotten!

Knowing our beloved county board's tendancies for bright ideas you wouldnt rule it out mind.....

The logo may have been a bit... awful, but I always loved the material used for it! I find it by far the comfiest out I have, so for that I recommend it to all :pac:

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Mary Immaculate College Limerick 1-17 Waterford IT 1-15

The best of the Waterford players on view by a long shot was Wayne Hutchinson, whose absence from the Waterford senior panel is difficult to fathom. Despite receiving an early yellow card, he held the centre of the half back line, repeatedly winning ball in the air and distributing it expertly, and providing leadership when it was most needed in the fourth quarter.

Jake Dillon had a useful game up front, notching three points from play. Pauric Mahony racked up six points (two from play) but had a couple of costly misses from frees and is clearly still well short of full match fitness.

Still finding it hard to understand how one of the best half backs in the county is not even on the county panel. I take it he has had his fair share of injuries over the years but after two hip operations and two groin operations he is now fully injury free and is playing excellent hurling leading by example as captain of the WIT team at centre back. I hope michael ryan takes notice as we need all our best players on the county panel at the very least.

What do ye make of Pauric Mahony's jab lift style of free taking. I have to say I never have been a fan of that type of free taking. There are too many movements in the process and possibilities of the ball not being positioned properly in the air to strike it. First of all you have to put the hurley on top of the sliotar when its on the ground, then roll it on to the hurley, then try and balance it and then wack it. Way too awkward looking. I dont know any free taker in another county that has that technique. The best style is getting the hurley under the sliotar when its on the ground, rise it, take a step forward, lean in and follow through. This is the way Shefflin, R Power, Canning, E Kelly tip etc do it. Jake Dillon also does it that way which is why I think it would be better if Dillon take all the frees within the 65 and also the 65's from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Waterford 4.21 Carlow 0.21 Eamon Murphy Dunhill scored 3 goals with Shane Walsh and Maurice Shanahan also making their return from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford 4.21 Carlow 0.21 Eamon Murphy Dunhill scored 3 goals with Shane Walsh and Maurice Shanahan also making their return from injury.

Nice one cleaboy boy (boy). Do you happen to have the Waterford starting team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Still finding it hard to understand how one of the best half backs in the county is not even on the county panel. I take it he has had his fair share of injuries over the years but after two hip operations and two groin operations he is now fully injury free and is playing excellent hurling leading by example as captain of the WIT team at centre back. I hope michael ryan takes notice as we need all our best players on the county panel at the very least.

What do ye make of Pauric Mahony's jab lift style of free taking. I have to say I never have been a fan of that type of free taking. There are too many movements in the process and possibilities of the ball not being positioned properly in the air to strike it. First of all you have to put the hurley on top of the sliotar when its on the ground, then roll it on to the hurley, then try and balance it and then wack it. Way too awkward looking. I dont know any free taker in another county that has that technique. The best style is getting the hurley under the sliotar when its on the ground, rise it, take a step forward, lean in and follow through. This is the way Shefflin, R Power, Canning, E Kelly tip etc do it. Jake Dillon also does it that way which is why I think it would be better if Dillon take all the frees within the 65 and also the 65's from now on.

Did Jake Dillon not seem a bit underpowered for the long shots the last day?

Did Jake Dillon not seem a bit underpowered for the long shots the last day?

Maybe he did, not sure though. Getting power behind the long shots might not be a strong area for him but I do think we need a change in free taker that was a higher conversion ratio at the posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Maybe he did, not sure though. Getting power behind the long shots might not be a strong area for him but I do think we need a change in free taker that was a higher conversion ratio at the posts.

I might be wrong, but I think I saw him try a Paul Flynn in the second half, only to narrowly go over.Nice tribute to the guy, but I think that showboating should be left a few years until he's settled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF8tTD3hhVc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement