Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Predictions for the hurling games over the weekend -Can Mt Sion pull it off against DLS?

Have Dungarvan a chance of beating FMW?

I'm interested in peoples thoughts coming in to these 2 games. Myself i think it will be a physical battle in Walsh Park but if DLS play the fast open brand of hurling they used against Mt Sion in the opening game of this year's campaign i don't think they will be beaten,but its a semi final and give Mt Sion a sniff of winning another county and you write them off at your peril!

The second semi will be interesting aswell in that the physical intensity that FMW bring to the game can Dungarvan match it? I'm not saying for a second that this is all that FMW bring to the table,far from it,and in Jamie Barron and Shane Walsh they have 2 very dangerous inside forwards,along with the experience of the Lawlors,O Gormans etc they will fancy there chances. But Dungarvan will not be frightened of the challenge and depending on how they line out their team i think they can pull this off but it will take an enormous effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

zol 2 wrote: »
    Predictions for the hurling games over the weekend -Can Mt Sion pull it off against DLS?

Have Dungarvan a chance of beating FMW?

Course they have. all the pressure is on FMW. They were a bit flat in the quarters and a big improvement needed from them. Still being involved in the football mightened help them either. Dungarvan go into this with a lot of momentum and with a young fearless side and have nothing lose.

Like Dungarvan, Mt Sion seem to be finding momentum at just the right time. But Id still feel DLSshould have too much for them

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Best of luck to Mount Sion this evening.
    A big ask as De La Salle are one of the best teams in the county in the last few years.
    Beating Ballygunner will give them belief so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Will De La Salle have too much for Mount Sion? hate the Favourites tag, it has never suited them ever so complacency might kick in and add this whole malarcky of 3.3.1 into the mix it's more of a hindrance than a help a silly thing to do that has really haunted them since it leaked out, that alone will rile cnoc sion up. it Should be a good game I can see the monastery men trying to make this as physical as possible similar to the game they beat the gunners in,an I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a red card shown I'd put me house on a few scuffles in first few mins if the Referee hasn't the balls to set out his stall from the off, I firmly believe the only chance of an upset will be down to off the ball antics. DLS need to stay out of this or they could find themselves in same situation as last year. I reckon DLS to win by least 6 points.. With a Red Card to be shown..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Will De La Salle have too much for Mount Sion? hate the Favourites tag, it has never suited them ever so complacency might kick in and add this whole malarcky of 3.3.1 into the mix it's more of a hindrance than a help a silly thing to do that has really haunted them since it leaked out, that alone will rile cnoc sion up. it Should be a good game I can see the monastery men trying to make this as physical as possible similar to the game they beat the gunners in,an I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a red card shown I'd put me house on a few scuffles in first few mins if the Referee hasn't the balls to set out his stall from the off, I firmly believe the only chance of an upset will be down to off the ball antics. DLS need to stay out of this or they could find themselves in same situation as last year. I reckon DLS to win by least 6 points.. With a Red Card to be shown..

well ur dead right!! sion manager jimmy meaney and dls selector have been sent to the stabds for a sideline schmozzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

M Sion and Dungarvan for this years Final :-D

What a final it would make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

DLS 0-18 MT Sion 2-8

Poor enough game tbh, very stop/start all the way through. An Eoin McGrath goal midway through second half brought Sion back into it but DLS added late points to seal a county final appearance. Sion players and mgmt furious with ref at FT for not giving a few frees that prob should have been but EMcG should have seen his second yellow just after the second goal but luckily escaped.

If DLS want to win the county and/or go further, they'd want to buck up because they were poor again today it must be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Cake Man wrote: »
    Sion players and mgmt furious with ref at FT for not giving a few frees that prob should have been but EMcG should have seen his second yellow just after the second goal but luckily escaped.

If DLS want to win the county and/or go further, they'd want to buck up because they were poor again today it must be said.

In fairness you cant blame mt sion to be furious.... A point was given and it was clearly a wide.... The amount of times the ref had to talk to the linemans asking what happened on the pitch, its laughable...

de la salle deserved to win... Its Just the refs decisions were chronic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

well ur dead right!! sion manager jimmy meaney and dls selector have been sent to the stabds for a sideline schmozzle

I don't think that was Meaney, fairly sure he was one of the only mentors left after half time when Timmy O'Keefe and a few stewards made all the spare backroom members go to the stands. Absolute farce that was, held the game up at least 3 minutes.
    In fairness you cant blame mt sion to be furious.... A point was given and it was clearly a wide.... The amount of times the ref had to talk to the linemans asking what happened on the pitch, its laughable...

de la salle deserved to win... Its Just the refs decisions were chronic...

Ah now, he wasn't that bad and certainly not that bad to the detriment of Mount Sion. The biggest decision in the game I felt was that pull on Moran in the second half going unpunished, think it was just before the 2nd goal.

The better team won, but they have plenty to work on. Mount Sion didn't really look like a team with the potency to score one goal against the team De La Salle are considered to be, and yet they could easily have had 3. To be fair, Gaffney's goal was a well taken individual effort but how he cut through the DLS defense that easily is something that I can only imagine will be a talking point when they return to the training ground during the week. The second goal was an absolute disaster.

Still, they're in a final and will take a very good team to beat them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Anyone know who won the Cappoquin V Ring intermediate game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭deisedude

cornerboy wrote: »
    Anyone know who won the Cappoquin V Ring intermediate game

Cappoquin 0-14 Ring 2-10

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

cheers

1-5 to 1-5 at HT in Dungarvan v FMW

1-7 to 2-6 to FMW now, Jamie Barron goal. I'd say it'll be a tight finish.

1-12 to 2-8 to Dungarvan approaching FT.

1-15 to 2-9 to Dungarvan FT.

That's some upset, really thought FMW would come through with a few to spare.
    DLS v Dungarvan county final it is.

first have was very scrappy.great second half. well done to Dungarvan with a well deserved win.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Honn' the old boro! :D

where will the final be on will it be Fraher field or Walsh park ??

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Great win for dungarvan and fully deserved their victory. great performances from shane kearney and jamie nagle and 2 great saves from duggan in goal near the end kept dungarvan in it. shane walsh struggled for FMW and seemed as if he wasn't fully fit? Barron was poor and missed 3 easy enough frees that proved costly in the end. not to take from dungarvan's win but i wonder did the senior football against killrosanty prove costly as the did seem leg weary and lost brian wall through injury from it aswell. but its dungarvan's night and it will do wonders for hurling in the club there after this victory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

where will the final be on will it be Fraher field or Walsh park ??

Fraher Field

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Dungarvan 1-15 Fourmilewater 2-9

Dungarvan qualified for their first county senior hurling final in over sixty years following this exciting but deserved win over prematch favourites Fourmilewater in Dungarvan tonight. After a low-scoring and very pedestrian first quarter, one felt that neither of these teams had the firepower to trouble De La Salle in the final. Then Dungarvan grabbed the initiative when Cormac Curran sent an excellent shot to the FMW net, but in the ensuing minutes Dungarvan hit a series of bad wides which, if converted, would have put them in the driving seat.

FMW got back on level terms when midfielder Seamus Lawlor goaled after the Dungarvan defence failed to clear their lines, and the teams went in at half time 1-5 apiece, Dungarvan having shot eight wides to FMW’s five.

The pace and quality of the game improved immensely in the second half. FMW moved into a strong position when Jamie Barron finished to the net from an acute angle after Dungarvan goalkeeper Darren Duggan stopped two powerful point blank shots in succession. But Dungarvan refused to panic and reeled off four points without reply to regain the lead. FMW got back on level terms and then came the decisive moment in the game when Darren Duggan saved three more point blank shots in quick succession to deny FMW the goal which would surely have seen them over the line. Still, one wonders if Shane Walsh would have been better served to take the initial tap-over point which would have given his team the lead going into the closing straight.

Instead, it was Dungarvan who regained the initiative, their young players taking maximum advantage as the game opened up to shoot three excellent points to earn a memorable victory.

To my count, Dungarvan had at least seven under 21s, including three minors, in their team tonight but they made up for their lack of experience and physical presence with an immense work rate and good hurling skills. Tellingly, five of their forwards scored 1-7 from play compared with just 1-2 from three FMW forwards. FMW hit some very bad wides in the second half, with both teams ending up with eleven wides apiece.

The diminutive Shane Kearney had a marvellous hour at right half back for Dungarvan, with Kenny Moore also doing well in the pivotal position. Jamie Nagle had a big second half in midfield, while pick of the forwards was young Ryan Donnelly who really came of age here, repeatedly winning possession even if his shooting was awry (he ended up with a total of two points and five wides). Full forward Gavin Crotty came storming into the game in the final quarter, bagging three points, while, apart from his goal, Cormac Curran’s freetaking was exemplary.

The same could not be said for his FMW counterpart, Jamie Barron, who missed four out of seven frees and who, apart from his goal, had a minimal impact on the game. With Shane Walsh managing just a single point, FMW saw their main scoring threats almost completely marginalised here, and it was left to hardworking midfielder Seamus Lawlor to do most damage on the scoreboard with a total of 1-2 from play. They lost this game despite their half back line of Maurice & Thomas O’Gorman and Liam Lawlor hitting a lot of ball, while wing forward Michael O’Gorman made a massive attempt to retrieve the game in the final quarter to no avail.

FMW failed to reproduce their early season form in the knockout stages of the competition, and one wonders if their parallel commitment to the big ball game was a significant contributor to their failure to reach their first ever hurling final. It is noteworthy that Dungarvan were prepared to sacrifice their senior football status to focus on the hurling, and this decision appears to have paid off for them.

It was evident that Ring, who were also involved in senior football the previous weekend, took a while to get their touch back in the Western intermediate final against Cappoquin on Saturday night, but they improved greatly after the change of ends to snatch victory in the end. I expect they will be a much tougher proposition in the county final. Once again I was very impressed with Liam Ó Lionáin who I have felt for some time deserves a trial with the county seniors, given his physical strength, powerful running and good skill level. He used all three to good effect in setting up both of Ring goals against Cappoquin. Donie Breathnach also impressed with his ability to get possession, his pace and his ability to get in shots on goal. I thought myself he was badly underused in last year’s county minor team. Unfortunately, on this occasion his radar was very much askew. If he had nailed even half of his eight wides, this game would not have been as tight as it was in the end.

Dungarvan: Darren Duggan; Luke Egan; Derek Barry; Kevin Daly; Shane Kearney (0-1); Kenny Moore; Conor Sheridan; Jamie Nagle (0-2); Seán Ryan; Cormac Curran (1-5, five frees); Gavin Crotty (0-3); Eoin Healy; Colm Curran (0-1); Ryan Donnelly (0-2); Cathal Curran (0-1).

Fourmilewater: Conor Ryan; Justin Walsh; Rory Rice; Shane Lawlor; Maurice O’Gorman (0-1); Liam Lawlor (0-1, 65); Thomas O’Gorman; Brian Wall; Seamus Lawlor (1-2); Michael O’Gorman; Diarmuid Wall; Craig Guiry (0-1); Shane Ryan; Shane Walsh (0-1); Jamie Barron (1-3, three frees). Subs: Richie Fenton for Diarmuid Wall; Alan Lawlor for Shane Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 OldBoro

Dungarvan had ten under twenty ones on there starting 15

Shane Kearney is a fantastic hurler i have being saying it with years, and he really stood up to the challenge tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Honn the Boro

• Registered Users Posts: 37,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

congrats to both De la salle and Dungarvan on getting to the final. I think it was last year that Dungarvan were struggling big time (I think there manager resigned mid season) and now look where they are now in the senoir final and one step away from winning it but as a de la salle supporter i think dungarvans wait can continue for another while :D:D.

IMO the standard of Waterford Club Hurling is low and fear that the Clare Champions could beat either De La Salle or Dungarvan out the gate in the Munster Semi Final. Clare Hurling seems to be on the rise.

BTW the draw for next years Munster Senoir Hurling and football championships takes place this Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

We'll wait two more weeks :-D

Honn the Boro

• Registered Users Posts: 37,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dungarvan playing at home (well not at home technically but its in the town of Dungarvan) will be a big advantage.

Shane Kearney is a fantastic hurler i have being saying it with years, and he really stood up to the challenge tonight.

How old is he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Cake Man wrote: »
    How old is he?

23, has to be on the Waterford panel next year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement