Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Black Suir wrote: »
    When last was it tested. The Waterford and Tipperary Munster Championship game back in 1996 maybe. It has not been tested with any county final played there, thats for sure. Fraher Field may have a smaller capacity - Health and Safety has it set at something between six and six and a half thousand, but the majority of the time that does us grand in this county. When last was there six thousand in Walsh Park.

Ah will you come on. A quick glance at the two grounds would tell you Walsh Park can hold more, never mind whatever H&S reports that'll have been done.

While we're on topic about H&S, Pairc Tailteann in Meath was forced to stop letting people into the huge grass banks they had behind each goal. Considering Fraher has grass banks on three sides the place would be in trouble on those grounds.

We're not having a debate about capacity, my original point is that Walsh Park would be likely to attract more attendees and generate more revenue. I can see in very clear terms from previous county board reports that Walsh Park is a far more lucrative venue. That's all I'm focusing on here - our Board is stone broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

hardybuck wrote: »
    Ah will you come on. A quick glance at the two grounds would tell you Walsh Park can hold more, never mind whatever H&S reports that'll have been done.

While we're on topic about H&S, Pairc Tailteann in Meath was forced to stop letting people into the huge grass banks they had behind each goal. Considering Fraher has grass banks on three sides the place would be in trouble on those grounds.

We're not having a debate about capacity, my original point is that Walsh Park would be likely to attract more attendees and generate more revenue. I can see in very clear terms from previous county board reports that Walsh Park is a far more lucrative venue. That's all I'm focusing on here - our Board is stone broke.

We all know that Walsh Park can hold more, NOBODY could argue otherwise. My question is when was Walsh Park last full or come even near to be filled. People (mostly in the city and the area around it) talk about what rivals say Waterford and Kilkenny are. How many times have they met in Walsh Park since the stand was built and how often have the ground come anywhere near to be full. I have never even seen the stand full to its capacity let alone the ground. The simple fact is, while Waterford City may have the biggest population in the county, the majority of the people in it dont care about Walsh Park or even what sports are played there. And as i pointed out, If the county final was to be played there, apart from the support of either Mount Sion or De La Salle, depending on which of them get to the final, there wont be a big support be there from other clubs in the city and the area around it. Where-as with the final in Fraher Field this year, regardless of whether it is Dungarvan or Fourmilewater are in the final, a considerable support will be generated from all clubs across the West of the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keanes Road

I would say its a much of muchness where thegame is played lads.
    You will always have the hardcore who will go to every county finl regardless of where it is on. Whatever you would gain with a casual crowd rolling in on the day if it was Walsh Park you could make a valid case for the same happening in Faher Field especially when Dungarvan or FMW are involved. There will be a big novelty factor with either of those teams. I think FMW will get to the final but if Dungarvan got there I would reckon they would have a massive crowd to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

What do people make of this 3.3.1 that de le salle are drilling into themselves, they have it stitched onto their training tops aswell i think, the 3.3.1 representing wat they will have won at the end of this year, 3 county titles, 3 munster and 1 all ireland. Bit cocky maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keanes Road

Top drawer wrote: »
    What do people make of this 3.3.1 that de le salle are drilling into themselves, they have it stitched onto their training tops aswell i think, the 3.3.1 representing wat they will have won at the end of this year, 3 county titles, 3 munster and 1 all ireland. Bit cocky maybe?

They will be doing very well to have an AI won by the end of this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭deisedude

Its something they use to motivate themselves as a unit. Can't see any harm in it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deisedude wrote: »
    Its something they use to motivate themselves as a unit. Can't see any harm in it myself

It's perfect motivation for all their opposing teams too. I can understand it, and the logic behind it and I'm sure it has helped them hammer teams they intimidate like Tallow, Dunhill and Roanmore. But if a team pushes them to the end, is this bit of stitching on their jersey going to help them get over the line? Personally, I don't see it as a positive thing. There is an element of looking beyond the next game about it, a very dangerous game, never moreso in evidence then in this years Club Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

couldn't blame him really... in a few years maybe he will but not now. He knows that we don't have the players to get anywhere

yea i dont blame him really either. would be interested to see his reasons though. he obviously made his decision pretty much straight away. when he was mentioned for the hurling role last year he declined any comment and the rumour mill was circulating for weeks. so it would appear that he has his eye on bigger sights

I think we have better players now than we will have in a few years though. Nothing coming through at all

yea i dont blame him really either. would be interested to see his reasons though. he obviously made his decision pretty much straight away. when he was mentioned for the hurling role last year he declined any comment and the rumour mill was circulating for weeks. so it would appear that he has his eye on bigger sights

I think we have better players now than we will have in a few years though. Nothing coming through at all
    He did that to get an improved deal with Wexford.

Best of luck to Waterford man Kevin Ryan in his new role as Antrim Senior Hurling manager. A passionate hurling man who really knows his stuff and expect to see big improvements in Antrim under his reign. This is a man who has been under the noses of the co. board for a number of years yet they have chosen to ignore him for the co. senior job.
    Could be a strong candidate should things not improve under Skully after next season.

• Advertisement

Didn't Kerry have five in a row t-shirts all done up in 1982 ahead of the All-Ireland Final. What De La Salle have done does come across as a bit of cockiness, and it could well back fire on them. It Could have easily happened last weekend if Dan had hit a second first half goal the time he hit the side net.

Black Suir wrote: »
    Didn't Kerry have five in a row t-shirts all done up in 1982 ahead of the All-Ireland Final. What De La Salle have done does come across as a bit of cockiness, and it could well back fire on them. It Could have easily happened last weekend if Dan had hit a second first half goal the time he hit the side net.

yea agreed theyd look pretty stupid if theyd have gone out in the co. quarter final to an understrength Lismore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭jimbo79

ye don't seem to rate the footballers to highly, i think ye have a fine team plenty of potential, they did ok in div3 were unlucky to go back down, i suppose it was hard to get it going again after that, ye had a great chance of making a munster final but from what i heard they had only a week to prepare for the limerick game, that is hardly ideal

jimbo79 wrote: »
    ye don't seem to rate the footballers to highly, i think ye have a fine team plenty of potential, they did ok in div3 were unlucky to go back down, i suppose it was hard to get it going again after that, ye had a great chance of making a munster final but from what i heard they had only a week to prepare for the limerick game, that is hardly ideal

I think if ever there was a time for someone like Jason Ryan to come in it would be now with this group of players. Definetly capable of holding their own in division 3 but lack of support from the co. board means that a lot of people dont give the commitment required

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think if ever there was a time for someone like Jason Ryan to come in it would be now with this group of players. Definetly capable of holding their own in division 3 but lack of support from the co. board means that a lot of people dont give the commitment required

If you put the footballers in this county and stuck them on a bus to somewhere were the game is appreciated, they'd be a division 3 team with the current players available to them. They would challenge for promotion if they had some of the lads who currently prioritise hurling.

However, this is Waterford, and the situation is what it is. While we had very good underage teams in the 90's and 00's, now we've fallen way behind at underage level. Whenever this group of players move on there will be big problems.

As for Jason - this isn't just about Waterford, but also about him. If you listen to noises he was making in Wexford, it was about the time he was spending on the road, that his wife was able to take a career break to enable her to spend more time with their young children etc. He has also ruptured his cruciate ligament a couple of weeks ago, and in fairness that will take a lot of his time to get over anyway.

jimbo79 wrote: »

They've a good team, but potential is not the word I'd use. They're in their prime now, it looks very bleak for the future. This team could be in much better shape than they are if they were prepared better, but unfortunately that's not the case.

hardybuck wrote: »
    If you put the footballers in this county and stuck them on a bus to somewhere were the game is appreciated, they'd be a division 3 team with the current players available to them. They would challenge for promotion if they had some of the lads who currently prioritise hurling.

However, this is Waterford, and the situation is what it is. While we had very good underage teams in the 90's and 00's, now we've fallen way behind at underage level. Whenever this group of players move on there will be big problems.

As for Jason - this isn't just about Waterford, but also about him. If you listen to noises he was making in Wexford, it was about the time he was spending on the road, that his wife was able to take a career break to enable her to spend more time with their young children etc. He has also ruptured his cruciate ligament a couple of weeks ago, and in fairness that will take a lot of his time to get over anyway.

even personal reasons aside, Jason knows the score anyway being an ex-waterford footballer himself. he knows what hes up against, he fought hard enough to get better recognition for the footballers in wexford, hed have know hope in waterford. This year there was co. senior hurling games played the week before waterfords Munster championship football game v Limerick. Disgraceful treatment of John Owens imo after 3 years of great progress under his reign. I admire him fpor not hacking it in there and then. Why would Jason degrade himself to that level.

even personal reasons aside, Jason knows the score anyway being an ex-waterford footballer himself. he knows what hes up against, he fought hard enough to get better recognition for the footballers in wexford, hed have know hope in waterford. This year there was co. senior hurling games played the week before waterfords Munster championship football game v Limerick. Disgraceful treatment of John Owens imo after 3 years of great progress under his reign. I admire him fpor not hacking it in there and then. Why would Jason degrade himself to that level.

He loves Waterford. I'd be surprised if he never manages Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Weekend Football Fixtures.

JJ Kavanagh & Sons S.F.C. Quarter Finals

Clashmore V Rathgormack in Fraher Field on Friday evening at 8pm.

Ardmore V Stradbally in Fraher Field on Saturday at 3pm

Kilrossanty V The Nire in Fraher Field on Saturday at 6pm

An Rinn V Ballinacourty in Fraher Field on Saturday at 7-30pm.

S.F.C. Relegation Play Off Final

Dungarvan V Saint Saviours in Lemybrien on Saturday at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Radley Engineering, Western Intermediate Football Semi-Final Saturday 22nd, Ballinacourty V Sliabh gCua @ Bushy Park 4:30 pm

Radley Engineering, Western Intermediate Football Semi-Final Saturday 22nd Sept, Ballinameala V Geraldines @ Bushy Park 3 pm

Lawlors Hotel Western Junior Football (Premier) Semi-Finals, Sat 22nd Sept @ Lismore, Modeligo V Affane @ 4pm & Tallow V Shamrocks @ 5.30pm

Senior Hurling semi-finals.

DLS v Mount Sion at Walsh Park on Saturday 29th at 5pm
    Fourmilewater v Dungarvan at Fraher Field on Sunday 30th at 6pm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

comeraghs wrote: »
    Weekend Football Fixtures.

JJ Kavanagh & Sons S.F.C. Quarter Finals

Clashmore V Rathgormack in Fraher Field on Friday evening at 8pm.

Ardmore V Stradbally in Fraher Field on Saturday at 3pm

Kilrossanty V The Nire in Fraher Field on Saturday at 6pm

An Rinn V Ballinacourty in Fraher Field on Saturday at 7-30pm.

S.F.C. Relegation Play Off Final

Dungarvan V Saint Saviours in Lemybrien on Saturday at 5pm.

There was a shock last week when Mount Sion beat Ballygunner and almost one when an understrength Lismore were only denied something out of the game in added time. Will be interesting to see if there will be any shocks this weekend. At least one game could need extra time to find a winner. I have the games previewed on my blog if anyone is interested.

anyone have any results from the Harty Cup games during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

anyone have any results from the Harty Cup games during the week?

St. Colman’s Coll. Fermoy 2-25 Coláistí Chiarraí (Kerry Colleges) 2-9
    Hamilton High School Bandon 1-18 Coláiste Chríost Rí Cork 3-10
    St. Flannan’s Coll Ennis 2-25 Gael Colaiste Mhuire Cork 1-5
    Coláistí Iar Luimní (West Limerick Colleges) 1-17 Abbey CBS Tipperary 1-12

It seems that these were the only Harty games played this week, apparently Blackwater's game v Templemore was called off as there's a few Tipp panelists on the Templemore team that will be playing in the AIF minor replay.
    As for DLS and Colaiste na Déise, they both had Limerick opposition so I've no idea why they were cancelled or even when they are to be played. Munster GAA website says nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

East Junior Hurling Championship Proper Final 29/09/2012 13:15 Kill
    Butlerstown vs Newtown Ballydurn

East Intermediate Hurling Championship Final 29/09/2012 15:00 Kill
    Portlaw vs Clonea

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Cake Man wrote: »
    St. Colman’s Coll. Fermoy 2-25 Coláistí Chiarraí (Kerry Colleges) 2-9
    Hamilton High School Bandon 1-18 Coláiste Chríost Rí Cork 3-10
    St. Flannan’s Coll Ennis 2-25 Gael Colaiste Mhuire Cork 1-5
    Coláistí Iar Luimní (West Limerick Colleges) 1-17 Abbey CBS Tipperary 1-12

It seems that these were the only Harty games played this week, apparently Blackwater's game v Templemore was called off as there's a few Tipp panelists on the Templemore team that will be playing in the AIF minor replay.
    As for DLS and Colaiste na Déise, they both had Limerick opposition so I've no idea why they were cancelled or even when they are to be played. Munster GAA website says nothing about it.

Colaiste Na Deise played the Tipp minors on Wens and were beaten 6-24 to 1-1-18. Blackwater played De La Salle in the Waterford Colleges championship by 2-26 to 3-9

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Deise Tom wrote: »
    There was a shock last week when Mount Sion beat Ballygunner and almost one when an understrength Lismore were only denied something out of the game in added time. Will be interesting to see if there will be any shocks this weekend. At least one game could need extra time to find a winner. I have the games previewed on my blog if anyone is interested.
    Stradbally, the nire and ballinacourty would have to be fancied to be three of the semi-finalists with perhaps clashmore the fourth this weekend. Have seen most of the teams play this year and on their day anyone can beat the other so maybe kilrossanty to beat The Nire as they have been out playing with Fourmilewater the last couple of weeks and perhaps this could be a hinderance trying to juggle the football and hurling. Saviours should also survive their relagation battle...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭deisedude

zol 2 wrote: »
    Colaiste Na Deise played the Tipp minors on Wens and were beaten 6-24 to 1-1-18. Blackwater played De La Salle in the Waterford Colleges championship by 2-26 to 3-9

Did Blackwater win or lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

deisedude wrote: »
    Did Blackwater win or lose?

Sorry i badly worded the last post! Ya Blackwater won comfortably,i heard they weren't stretched too much.

Half time in Fraher Field. Clashmore 1-8 Rathgormack 2-1

Hearing that the referee failed to show for the Mount Sion and Ferrybank game at Kilmacthomas and a different one had to be got. The game as a result is running late. Half time score - Cnoc Sion 0-5 to Ferrybank 1-4. Is it three or four Eastern Finals in a row that Mount Sion are attempting to win this year.

• Advertisement

latest score from Fraher Field - Clashmore 1-9 Rathgormack 2-3 and in Kilmac, Cnoc Sion 0-7 to Ferrybank 1-6. Both three quarters way through the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement