Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Clashmore are the first club into the County Senior Football semi finals.

Full time score - Clashmore 2-11 Rathgormack 2-3

Full time in Kilmac - Junior Football Championship Semi-Final: Cnoc Sion 1-9 to Ferrybank 1-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

The minor hurling semi finals have been cancelled Mon night due to Ballygunner objecting to the 2nd/3rd/4th places in the group.Dungarvan topped the group withe St Carthages 2nd,Ballygunner 3rd,and DLS 4th but "officially" the objection is due to St Carthages and DLS receiving walkovers from Roanmore therefore the scoring averages are being contested and they want a 3 way playoff to decide the positions again but another possible reason i wonder might have something to do with one of their better players from a well know hurling family down there having to serve a 1 match suspension!-The playoff would free him up for the semi final then!
    What really bothers me here is the fact that this objection was adhered to in such a fast manner and i just hope it is being done for the proper reasons and not for underhand tactics.
    A question to you people out there? Who get to make such decisions without the other participating clubs being consulted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

zol 2 wrote: »
    The minor hurling semi finals have been cancelled Mon night due to Ballygunner objecting to the 2nd/3rd/4th places in the group.Dungarvan topped the group withe St Carthages 2nd,Ballygunner 3rd,and DLS 4th but "officially" the objection is due to St Carthages and DLS receiving walkovers from Roanmore therefore the scoring averages are being contested and they want a 3 way playoff to decide the positions again but another possible reason i wonder might have something to do with one of their better players from a well know hurling family down there having to serve a 1 match suspension!-The playoff would free him up for the semi final then!
    What really bothers me here is the fact that this objection was adhered to in such a fast manner and i just hope it is being done for the proper reasons and not for underhand tactics.
    A question to you people out there? Who get to make such decisions without the other participating clubs being consulted?
    Ballygunner are within their rights i think. When their is a 3 way play off or when teams finish on equal points it no longer goes on scoring difference but on head to head results. When 3 teams are involved and each team has beaten each other once a play off is needed. Have to check the county board website for the results but ld say this is what happened. If this is the case then the county boards hands are tied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Ballygunner are within their rights i think. When their is a 3 way play off or when teams finish on equal points it no longer goes on scoring difference but on head to head results. When 3 teams are involved and each team has beaten each other once a play off is needed. Have to check the county board website for the results but ld say this is what happened. If this is the case then the county boards hands are tied.

• Advertisement

Ballygunner are within their rights i think. When their is a 3 way play off or when teams finish on equal points it no longer goes on scoring difference but on head to head results. When 3 teams are involved and each team has beaten each other once a play off is needed. Have to check the county board website for the results but ld say this is what happened. If this is the case then the county boards hands are tied.[/QUOT

Yes,if that's the "real reason" then that's fine but lets say there is a 3 way playoff and positions are changed and B/gunner finish 2nd in the group this time,they still end up meeting St Carthages in the semi final.If they end up finishing 4th they end up playing Dungarvan so where is there a gain to be made??It stinks to the high heaven if you ask me of a stroke trying to be pulled to facilitate a certain player for the semi final. For the sake of justice and fairplay i genuinely hope either Dungarvan,St Carthages or DLS go on to win the minor title.ONE RULE FOR THE BIG BOYS AND ONE RULE FOR THE REST!!!!!!!!

I think you are wrong. Head to heads are only used when two teams are level on points. Where three or more its score difference, but when someone gives one of the teams a walk over, a play off has to be used as that team would not have had the chance to improve their score difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Black Suir wrote: »
    I think you are wrong. Head to heads are only used when two teams are level on points. Where three or more its score difference, but when someone gives one of the teams a walk over, a play off has to be used as that team would not have had the chance to improve their score difference.

This is 100% correct.

If it was Ballygunner, however, I guess it is suspicious given it doesn't really seem like they can actually improve on their position in reality. At the same time, it is their right, the rule is what it is so it would probably be unfair at the same time to dent them that.

But if DLS and Lismore got the walkovers, should that not be an advantage to Ballygunner? Also, it's not a good sign when a team in the top division has to give walkovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Ballygunner are within their rights i think. When their is a 3 way play off or when teams finish on equal points it no longer goes on scoring difference but on head to head results. When 3 teams are involved and each team has beaten each other once a play off is needed. Have to check the county board website for the results but ld say this is what happened. If this is the case then the county boards hands are tied.[/QUOT

Yes,if that's the "real reason" then that's fine but lets say there is a 3 way playoff and positions are changed and B/gunner finish 2nd in the group this time,they still end up meeting St Carthages in the semi final.If they end up finishing 4th they end up playing Dungarvan so where is there a gain to be made??It stinks to the high heaven if you ask me of a stroke trying to be pulled to facilitate a certain player for the semi final. For the sake of justice and fairplay i genuinely hope either Dungarvan,St Carthages or DLS go on to win the minor title.ONE RULE FOR THE BIG BOYS AND ONE RULE FOR THE REST!!!!!!!!

Its the same rules for everyone - get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Ardmore 2-4 Stradbally 1-10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

daddydick wrote: »

The other teams should give walkovers, so the player will not get to play and therefore miss the semi finals..!

daddydick wrote: »

Ya you're right! When the big boys come out to play and flex their financial muscle the puppets on the strings in the county board roll over for them!!
    Same rules alright;)

solarith wrote: »
    The other teams should give walkovers, so the player will not get to play and therefore miss the semi finals..!

Would he not still be available after that?

Just heard The Nire drew with Killrossanty, means the County football semis will be put back, the Hurling is going ahead this weekend as planned apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kapa

What was The Nire v Kilrossanty score?

kapa wrote: »
    What was The Nire v Kilrossanty score?
    Kilrossanty and The Nire served up a thriller this evening in fraher field. Kilrossanty 2-14 Nire 1-17 Full time, after extra time..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

Any results from the other two quarter finals played today

Clashmore wrote: »
    Any results from the other two quarter finals played today

Ballinacourty 1-13 An Rinn 2-7

Stradbally won by 3 points earlier.

Semi Final draw:

Stradbally v Ballinacourty

Clashmore v The Nire/Killrossanty

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

Thanks mountainlad.

They'll be in three weeks time now I suppose instead of in two weeks due to the replay

Thanks mountainlad.

They'll be in three weeks time now I suppose instead of in two weeks due to the replay

Yeah, they said on WLR that the quarter replay will be in two weeks time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

He loves Waterford. I'd be surprised if he never manages Waterford.

Jaysus lads theres only one cure now.. its time to bring back Jackson.. WE WANT JACKSON!!! WE WANT JACKSON!!! long live the king!! JACKSON!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks mountainlad.

Isnt the Senior Hurling County Final in three weeks time. I take it that the Nire Replay was to go ahead in two weeks time and fourmilewater were to win next week, the football will have to be put back a little. Anyway I think the county board as a little time to play with. Dont the Waterford champions have a bye to the semi finals in Munster and wont be playing till sometime in November. It might be dangerous to give who ever wins the county final too much time between the county final and playing in Munster, as challenge games etc will be hard to get.

Black Suir wrote: »
    Isnt the Senior Hurling County Final in three weeks time. I take it that the Nire Replay was to go ahead in two weeks time and fourmilewater were to win next week, the football will have to be put back a little. Anyway I think the county board as a little time to play with. Dont the Waterford champions have a bye to the semi finals in Munster and wont be playing till sometime in November. It might be dangerous to give who ever wins the county final too much time between the county final and playing in Munster, as challenge games etc will be hard to get.

I'd say they'd put back the County Hurling Final, because they'd already have put back the Football semi finals and it wouldn't really be fair to the other teams in the football semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

I dont often say it and I'm totally neutral but.....Killrossanty were robbed. A very very dubious free awarded to Nire at the death to allow them make a draw.

cornerboy wrote: »
    I dont often say it and I'm totally neutral but.....Killrossanty were robbed. A very very dubious free awarded to Nire at the death to allow them make a draw.
    Have to agree with you felt the ref bottled it a bit even tough he had a good game over all, really enjoyed the game perhaps having the stand full and having extra time played under lights added to the atmosphere but the Nire should have won it in the second half, 4pts up and Liam Lawlor one on one with the keeper and decided to fist it over the bar. Fair play to Kilrossanty they really did battle hard and were unlucky in the end. Hope the replay is another classic...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Snr Football relegation.

Dungarvan 1 - 8 St Saviours. 4 - 8

I wonder how much effort D'van put in. Must have had one eye on the hurling semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

comeraghs wrote: »
    Snr Football relegation.

I wonder how much effort D'van put in. Must have had one eye on the hurling semi-final.

Just like to say well done to Saviours

(BTW, i am not a club member or even from the city)

A few dedicated individuals are able to keep them up Senior year after year

These same guys play on the senior team, train the teams, are involved in the administration and coach their underage teams

They have a very small playing pool and able to add a couple of young guys with some tough old dogs and seem to win these relegation games EVERY year

They are a credit to Waterford GAA

twas great alright to see saviours stay up and perhaps De La Salle might be joining them next year, would be great to have another senior football club in the city. De La Salle have been so close over the last number of years and i was very surprised by the winning margin over Tramore in the eastern final....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

comeraghs wrote: »
    Snr Football relegation.

How many lives do Saviours have? Since they won the co. final around 10/15 years ago they have been favourites to be relegated almost every year but for some reaon always manage to survive. This year their lucky in the sence that Dungarvan definetly had one eye on the hurling. But at the same time you have to hand it to them

As for the drawn game between Nire and Kilrossanty... not the result FMW hurlers needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

twas great alright to see saviours stay up and perhaps De La Salle might be joining them next year, would be great to have another senior football club in the city. De La Salle have been so close over the last number of years and i was very surprised by the winning margin over Tramore in the eastern final....

Strong possibility now it looks like Ballinacourty to win a poor western competition and correct me if I'm wrong but Courty cant go up even if they win the county as they are a 2nd string team. So that would mean DLS promoted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think DLS will play either Ballinameela or Ballinacourty in the final, you'd expect it to be Ballinameela. Their chances will probably depend on venue and weather conditions. They'd be far more likely to win a game in a city venue on a dry sod than on a wet day in Fraher.

Just had a quick glance at the website, DLS and Tramore's juniors also played out a draw before the intermediate final. However, I didn't realise there was something called "junior intermediate attached", i.e. the 2nd teams of the intermediate clubs. There is also a competition for the 2nd teams of the senior teams, but they're only three of them in East Waterford.

So basically, if your not able to make your first team in any of those clubs, you only get about 2 games as season, and basically don't get to play football! Madness!

In regard to Saviours, they are serious battlers. They must try and time their conditioning every year specifically for the Relegation Final, which in many ways is their county final!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement