Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

these lads won the Tony Forristal 2 years ago if Im not mistaken?

Beat Kilkenny in a very tight final I think, had a club member on the Tipp team and was at most of the games, almost certain Waterford won by 2 or 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Does anyone have the Tony Forristal and Sony Walsh Panels. And does anyone have the squads for the Under 15 and 16 Panels ad who they are playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

arent the u17s playing aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Yeah the u17 tournament is on this weekend also

http://www.gaacork.ie/taggedNews/159819/99/eugene_carey_tournament_launch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Waterford beat Laois in the opening Tony Forristal game, 3-10 to 0-5. Laois put it up to Waterford but it was only after we got the first goal that we started to pull away. Great game from Eoghan Murray, got about 2-5 from midfield and Jack Prendergast. Cork next.

For anyone interested, the panel is:
    1. Luke Power (Portlaw)
    2. Darragh McGrath (Abbeyside)
    3. Eoin Bray (Clonea)
    4. Darragh Mulcahy (Cois Brid)
    5. Donal Power (Passage)
    6. Aaron Whelan (Lismore)
    7. Nathan O'Mahony (Cappoquin)
    8. Eoghan Murray (Cappoquin)
    9. Jamie Murphy (Portlaw)
    10. Gavin Coppinger (DLS)
    11. Conor Curran (An Ghaeltacht)
    12. Glenn Waters (Dungarvan)
    13. Ben Flanagan (Mt. Sion)
    14. Billy Nolan (Roanmore)
    15. Eoghan Casey (Dunhill)
    16. Daniel O'Keeffe (Lismore)
    17. Anthony McGlone (Lismore)
    18. Eoin Daly (Sacred Heart)
    19. Liam O'Connell (St. Olivers)
    20. Jack Prendergast (Lismore)
    21. Tadgh Myler (St. Saviours)
    22. Ross Coffey O'Shea (Ballyduff Lower)
    23. Michael Mahony (Ballygunner)
    24. Dylan Mangan (Cois Brid)

The 'B' team were beaten by 4 or 5 pts by KK in their opening game, KK too strong and got their scores a lot easier.

Saw that the U16's drew with Galway 1-7 to 0-10 in the Arrabawn, they've Offaly next. Will be keeping an eye on events throughout the day.

• Advertisement

Waterford beat Cork 3-7 to 0-7 in the TF, through to semi final v Wexford at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Well done to the lads for a great win today best of luck in the Tony Forristal Final tomorrow.

Waterford beat Wexford in semi final, 3-9 to 1-7. Great performance, they went in at HT a point down but came out all guns blazing second half. Into the Tony Forristal final tomorrow at 12, not sure who against though. Well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kilkenny in the final

Kilkenny in the final

Any idea who they beat in their semi?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Anyone know how Maurice got a straight red?

Some joke, I heard in the U16 Arrabawn tournament we drew with Galway in our first game and then hockeyed Offaly by 23 points in the second match. Galway then beat Offaly by 17 points but strangely, it was Galway who advanced top of the group :confused:

Apparently it was because Offaly scored 5pts against us but only scored 4 against Galway, how the f/ does that make sense! Surely it goes down to scoring difference, which would have meant Waterford topped the group. Worst thing is that Galway are now in the final tomorrow v Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Results of Senior Games?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

deise_girl wrote: »
    Anyone know how Maurice got a straight red?

Thats the six million dollar question. I first thought it was for two yellows as the ref first raised his left hand with a card and then his right. Talking to someone coming out from Lismore they felt it was a straight red. I cant figure out what it was for. Must be for something that was said,which if it was, it must be very hard hitting to get a straight red. Either way, Maurice was very vexed when he was given the line.

The gunners realy served notice of their intentions this evening, but saying that, Lismore were very poor.

Results of Senior Games?

Ballyduff Upper 4-13 Abbeyside 2-19
    Passage 0-15 Dungarvan 0-19
    Ballygunner 3-22 Lismore 1-11.

Dungarvan top the group on 7 points, Ballgunner are next on 6 and Lismore also on 6. Lismore are the fourth team on 4 points. Passage finished on 3 points and their year is over. Ballyduff also finished on 3 points and will face a relegation battle having lost the head to head with Passage by a point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Thats the six million dollar question. I first thought it was for two yellows as the ref first raised his left hand with a card and then his right. Talking to someone coming out from Lismore they felt it was a straight red. I cant figure out what it was for. Must be for something that was said,which if it was, it must be very hard hitting to get a straight red. Either way, Maurice was very vexed when he was given the line.

The gunners realy served notice of their intentions this evening, but saying that, Lismore were very poor.

Thanks! Interesting, be good to hear what the finer details are! Did it happen long into the game orr?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

ballygunner hammered lismore by at least 15pts. lismore were a disgrace,maurice shanahan got a straight red and ray barry was sent off for 2 yellow card offences. no heart whatsoever,beaten all over the field and only for seanie barry in goal it would have been alot worse,he was brilliant. ballygunner for their part were excellent,very clinical with paudie mahony outstanding for them,must have scored at least 14 pts.they seem to be coming good at the right time for another serious challenge.
    dungarvan beat passage by 4 pts so top the group and abbeyside and ballyduff drew with ballyduff being 14pts down at one stage. some comeback when they were missing adrian power and stephen molumphy.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Thanks! Interesting, be good to hear what the finer details are! Did it happen long into the game orr?

Sent off after 45 minutes.

zol 2 wrote: »
    ballygunner hammered lismore by at least 15pts. lismore were a disgrace,maurice shanahan got a straight red and ray barry was sent off for 2 yellow card offences. no heart whatsoever,beaten all over the field and only for seanie barry in goal it would have been alot worse,he was brilliant. ballygunner for their part were excellent,very clinical with paudie mahony outstanding for them,must have scored at least 14 pts.they seem to be coming good at the right time for another serious challenge.
    dungarvan beat passage by 4 pts so top the group and abbeyside and ballyduff drew with ballyduff being 14pts down at one stage. some comeback when they were missing adrian power and stephen molumphy.

At what stage in the game was this, as I did not see it happening. The game was so dead that I might easily have missed it while talking to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

I couldnt figure out why most pundits/bloggers/bookies were tipping passage to beat dungarvan.

• Advertisement

I couldnt figure out why most pundits/bloggers/bookies were tipping passage to beat dungarvan.

As the above is a dig, what I would love to know is how many minutes did Eoin Kelly play against Dungarvan, and if he managed to play a full sixty minutes, how much of a points head start would have he been for Passage.

Congratulations to Dungarvan and for what its worth, I feel the Old Boro will have too much for Tallow in the quarter finals. It should be a great achievement for Dungarvan to get to a County Semi Final and even possibly a final if they manage to avoid De La Salle or Ballygunner in the semi finals, provided all three advance that far.

As the above is a dig, what I would love to know is how many minutes did Eoin Kelly play against Dungarvan, and if he managed to play a full sixty minutes, how much of a points head start would have he been for Passage.

Congratulations to Dungarvan and for what its worth, I feel the Old Boro will have too much for Tallow in the quarter finals. It should be a great achievement for Dungarvan to get to a County Semi Final and even possibly a final if they manage to avoid De La Salle or Ballygunner in the semi finals, provided all three advance that far.

Your reading on it so Tom is that Dungarvan will beat Fourmilewater in a semi-final provided the Ballymac outfit beat Abbeyside next weekend? That if it comes off would make a cracker of a semi final if De la Salle and Ballygunner were drawn together in the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

We've mentioned it many times before, but if there are any County Board delegates reading this - we badly need a Senior B Championship. If it hasn't already been discussed in earlier County Board meetings, it surely must be discussed before the end of 2012.

DLS won their last game by 30 points, the game before that by 26 points and the game before that again by 23 points. What does this do for either team involved?

Your reading on it so Tom is that Dungarvan will beat Fourmilewater in a semi-final provided the Ballymac outfit beat Abbeyside next weekend? That if it comes off would make a cracker of a semi final if De la Salle and Ballygunner were drawn together in the other one.

If football was to become the number one game in Ballymac in the coming weeks, I could see Dungarvan beating FOurmile, but if hurling was to be the number 1 game, then It is Fourmilewater that might advance. But there is no point in worrying about it till all teams are through to the semi finals and we know that De La Salle and Ballygunner dont clash in the semi finals for the second year running.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Waterford Senior Hurling 1/4 Finals.

Four mouthwatering games.

Sat 8 Sept. 6pm Fraher Field.
    Fourmilewater v Abbeyside

Sat 15 Sept. Fraher Field
    4pm Tallow v Dungarvan
    5.30pm Lismore v De La Salle

Sun 16 Sept Walsh Park
    3pm Mt. Sion v Ballygunner.

If football was to become the number one game in Ballymac in the coming weeks, I could see Dungarvan beating FOurmile, but if hurling was to be the number 1 game, then It is Fourmilewater that might advance. But there is no point in worrying about it till all teams are through to the semi finals and we know that De La Salle and Ballygunner dont clash in the semi finals for the second year running.

You're probably right about the draw! I have a feeling it will be like the"draws" down through the years that never paired Ballygunner or Mt Sion together when both were regarded as the best 2 tems in the county! The only small chance of it happening might be that the hurling final is fixed for Fraher Field this year,along with the minor final,but i know i'm clutching at straws!

hardybuck wrote: »
    We've mentioned it many times before, but if there are any County Board delegates reading this - we badly need a Senior B Championship. If it hasn't already been discussed in earlier County Board meetings, it surely must be discussed before the end of 2012.

DLS won their last game by 30 points, the game before that by 26 points and the game before that again by 23 points. What does this do for either team involved?

Something has to be done alright but if you go back far enough it has been this way for years with other clubs like Ballygunner,Mt Sion,and Lismore to a lesser extent,not having to peak until q/final time as they new they could cruise through the group stages. Would the introduction of a Western and Eastern championship help in some way or the introduction of 1 group of 12 teams and the top 4 qualifying for the semi finals,like the minor championship is being run at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Something has to be done alright but if you go back far enough it has been this way for years with other clubs like Ballygunner,Mt Sion,and Lismore to a lesser extent,not having to peak until q/final time as they new they could cruise through the group stages. Would the introduction of a Western and Eastern championship help in some way or the introduction of 1 group of 12 teams and the top 4 qualifying for the semi finals,like the minor championship is being run at the moment?

No, as you'd still have the same problem. Two of the teams DLS hammered were from the East, and the other from the West. To cut straight to the point, there are a number of teams who aren't at senior championship level.

In intermediate at the moment, you've got teams like DLS and Mount Sion who will be challenging for the divisional title most years - not ideal.

Take the bottom four teams from senior, and the finalists from the east and west intermediate to form a 8 team senior championship and a 8 team senior b/intermediate premier. Each competition would have 7 games, with the top four progressing to semi finals, and the bottom four playing relegation semi's.

You're probably right about the draw! I have a feeling it will be like the"draws" down through the years that never paired Ballygunner or Mt Sion together when both were regarded as the best 2 tems in the county! The only small chance of it happening might be that the hurling final is fixed for Fraher Field this year,along with the minor final,but i know i'm clutching at straws!

The semi final draw last year in hurling which paired DLS and Ballygunner was 100% NOT fixed, as some suspect the semi final draws were in the past. I saw the draw taking place and the teams were drawn by children in Fraher Field.

• Advertisement

The semi final draw last year in hurling which paired DLS and Ballygunner was 100% NOT fixed, as some suspect the semi final draws were in the past. I saw the draw taking place and the teams were drawn by children in Fraher Field.

I don't doubt you Tom but even you must find it"UNUSUAL" that the draws down through the years never paired the big two together?! I've no proof to say otherwise but it just seemed a bit far fetched that they would keep avoiding each other over that length of period.
    As for the q/final this w/end i'm looking forward to seeing how Abbeyside will deal with Jamie Barron and Shane Walsh in the Fourmilewater attack as both are extremely good forwards and will take some watching. Will Abbeyside's near collapse against Ballyduff Upper have any bearing on the outcome? Will it still be playing on their minds? We'll soon find out! I think Fourmilewater will have too much in hand to be honest and should advance to the semi's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement