Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Now that the hangover from the Cork game is just about gone it's back to basics with the Western u21 semi finals on today. They should be 2 good games with St Carthages meeting Comeragh Gaels in the first game and Cappoquin meeting Abbeyside in the second one. Comeragh Gaels will have 6 if not 7 of the successful Harty Cup winning team and will be no pushover for St Carthages. I think Cappoquin will be too strong for Abbeyside even without the injured Darragh Fives and should progress to the final with ease,but it wouldn't be a shock if Comeragh Gaels win the first one in what has the makings of an interesting game.
    Throw in and 1.30 and 3pm in the Fraher Field.

St Carthages 6-25

Comeragh gaels 0-7

A complete mis-match here with Comeragh Gaels only starting the match with 14 players! They eventually filled the required number to see out the tie but it was of little use as the usual suspects from the Lismore outfit standing out.Stephen Bennett with 4-08 Ray Barry with 1-06 Padraig Prendergast with 1-07 aswell.

Abbeyside 1-15

Cappoquin 2-04

A shock here as the reigning Western champions were deservedly beaten by a well organised,fully committed Abbeyside team. They led by 0-10 to 0-1 at halftime and even though Cappoquin came back into it with goals from David O Brien and Finan Murray to leave only 3 between them,Abbeyside weathered the storm and finished the stronger with Kindregan at full forward,Power at centre back having excellent games for the villagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

zol 2 wrote: »
    St Carthages 6-25

Comeragh gaels 0-7

A complete mis-match here with Comeragh Gaels only starting the match with 14 players! They eventually filled the required number to see out the tie but it was of little use as the usual suspects from the Lismore outfit standing out.Stephen Bennett with 4-08 Ray Barry with 1-06 Padraig Prendergast with 1-07 aswell.

Abbeyside 1-15

Cappoquin 2-04

A shock here as the reigning Western champions were deservedly beaten by a well organised,fully committed Abbeyside team. They led by 0-10 to 0-1 at halftime and even though Cappoquin came back into it with goals from David O Brien and Finan Murray to leave only 3 between them,Abbeyside weathered the storm and finished the stronger with Kindregan at full forward,Power at centre back having excellent games for the villagers.

You'd a bad old day with the predictions Zol! :D

Lismore combined with Ballysaggart are some force, and I think they'll put it up to Ballygunner or whoever come from the east.

Comeragh Gaels aren't a bad side, probably a bit young.

Stephen Bennett is something else. What's that, 6-16 in two games with another 3 years to go at this grade?

Sensational.

Thanks for the updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Lismore combined with Ballysaggart are some force, and I think they'll put it up to Ballygunner or whoever come from the east.

Stephen Bennett is something else. What's that, 6-16 in two games with another 3 years to go at this grade?

Sensational.

Thanks for the updates!

Comeragh Gaels were apparently missing 13 players, started with 14 as Zola said. One of the players that went off for them injured (who was replaced by a lad who was sitting in the stand when the game threw in), broke his arm in 3 places.

Comeragh Gaels were apparently missing 13 players, started with 14 as Zola said. One of the players that went off for them injured (who was replaced by a lad who was sitting in the stand when the game threw in), broke his arm in 3 places.

Woah, that's quite a lot of players to be missing. Dunno how they had enough players in reserve to fulfill the fixture at that rate.

Sounds nasty, best of luck to him with his recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

i heard it was Tom Tobin, played for cnd and Waterford this year. Good player. Will be a loss to his club St. Mary's if true. They along with Ballysaggart would be the teams most likely to come out in the west this year. I heard they had a good work out against Mount Sion's Junior team yesterday in a Tournament game. Was told that Michael Kiely who was rejected by the County Minor selectors this year after helping CnD win the harty cup, scored something like 3-7 or 3-8 off Brian Flannery, most of which was from play.

:D

Sensational.

Thanks for the updates!
    I know ya mountainlad ha thank god i don't gamble! Stephen Bennett honestly didn't look like he had come out of second gear but to be fair to Comeragh Gaels if they were short 13 players it was always going to be a mis-match. Lismore,on paper look a strong outfit and were missing Michael Fitzgerald,Jordan Shanahan and had Stevie Barry corner forward whom i was told shouldn't be playing as he's waiting on a knee operation.
    Why i predicted Comeragh Gaels giving a good a/c of themselves was because they are moving well in the minor A grade this year and have some serious talent coming through but between some of them playing yesterday and being short players today it's just a pity that they couldn't have made this a sterner test for St Carthages as i genuinely felt they would really have rattled them.
    Abbeyside will definitely grow in confidence from today's win and while they will probably be underdogs for the final i think they won't fear their opponents but you would have to think that the Lismore outfit would be that bit too strong for them. But after today's predictions don't quote me on it!!!!!

Black Suir wrote: »
    i heard it was Tom Tobin, played for cnd and Waterford this year. Good player. Will be a loss to his club St. Mary's if true. They along with Ballysaggart would be the teams most likely to come out in the west this year. I heard they had a good work out against Mount Sion's Junior team yesterday in a Tournament game. Was told that Michael Kiely who was rejected by the County Minor selectors this year after helping CnD win the harty cup, scored something like 3-7 or 3-8 off Brian Flannery, most of which was from play.

It was his older brother Dermot. Tom was also missing today through injury and their other brother Conor was also unavailable through injury, broke his arm 2 weeks ago! I would have fancied them to put it up to Lismore if they had a full squad to chose from. Cant see Lismore being beaten tho

What was the scores in the matches in the B?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

What clubs make up Comeragh Gaels?

Yeah Bennett is some animal for the scoring, hopefully he'll continue this over the next few years, think he can be a serious player.
    Jordan Shanahan

Is he another younger brother of Dan and Maurice? What age is he and is he any good?

• Advertisement

Cake Man wrote: »
    What clubs make up Comeragh Gaels?

Yeah Bennett is some animal for the scoring, hopefully he'll continue this over the next few years, think he can be a serious player.

Is he another younger brother of Dan and Maurice? What age is he and is he any good?

Colligan, St Mary's Touraneena and Modeligo. Not sure what club Geraldines are in underage. They go by Naoimh Brid in Hurling and St Pats in football ub until u21 and then change to Comeragh Gaels, not really sure why.

Jordan Shanahan is a Minor I'm pretty sure. Duno how good he is.

Colligan, St Mary's Touraneena and Modeligo. Not sure what club Geraldines are in underage. They go by Naoimh Brid in Hurling and St Pats in football ub until u21 and then change to Comeragh Gaels, not really sure why.

Jordan Shanahan is a Minor I'm pretty sure. Duno how good he is.

They rotate each year in each code apparently ie Naomh Brid in hurling this year, St Pats in football. Next year St Pats in hurling, Naomh Brid in football. Not really sure but its probably because they only joined up less than 10 years ago. Gearldines and Ballinameela combine underage and are know as St Olivers, Comeragh Gaels beat them in the Quarter Final.

They rotate each year in each code apparently ie Naomh Brid in hurling this year, St Pats in football. Next year St Pats in hurling, Naomh Brid in football. Not really sure but its probably because they only joined up less than 10 years ago. Gearldines and Ballinameela combine underage and are know as St Olivers, Comeragh Gaels beat them in the Quarter Final.

Ah right, are there no other teams in St Ollies? The large part of their teams seem to be Ballinameela.

Ah right, are there no other teams in St Ollies? The large part of their teams seem to be Ballinameela.

No there isnt and ya usually Ballinameela provide the majority of the players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Sensational.

Thanks for the updates!

Another 4 hes still minor next year! out of all the young forwards that have come through in this county the last few years he looks the real deal imo. he has been too light in previous years but really seems to have sprouted this year and has a real presence about him now aswell. has great leadership qualities I think he has what it takes but like everyone we should give him time

Cake Man wrote: »

Nah hed be a cousin alright. he has the pedigree anyway so you never know watch this space!

st pats (colligan kilgobnet) and naomh brid (modeligo st marys/sliabh gua) underage clubs emalgamated a few years back due to falling numbers and are still separate clubs and the plan is to weather the storm and go their seperate ways in a couple years when the numbers pick up again. not sure how thats going for them. the underage clubs only administer up to u18 grade so the adult clubs came together to form comeragh geals to have a team at u21 level aswell. All a bit confusing but a sign of the times I guess

st pats (colligan kilgobnet) and naomh brid (modeligo st marys/sliabh gua) underage clubs emalgamated a few years back due to falling numbers and are still separate clubs and the plan is to weather the storm and go their seperate ways in a couple years when the numbers pick up again. not sure how thats going for them. the underage clubs only administer up to u18 grade so the adult clubs came together to form comeragh geals to have a team at u21 level aswell. All a bit confusing but a sign of the times I guess

Yeah you're right about Bennett, forgot he was u16 last year. I actually thought he was some size for a 16 year old last year, lot of physical development between 16-21.

Is it just Naoimh Brid/St Pats that administer as juvenile clubs till u18?

Because like, I thought juvenile ended at u16, and that's the reason Minors are allowed play Senior.

Yeah you're right about Bennett, forgot he was u16 last year. I actually thought he was some size for a 16 year old last year, lot of physical development between 16-21.

Is it just Naoimh Brid/St Pats that administer as juvenile clubs till u18?

Because like, I thought juvenile ended at u16, and that's the reason Minors are allowed play Senior.

You are right Juvenile does finish at under 16. Once you are out of under 16 you can play under 21/Junior/Intermediate/Senior for your adult club. One of the better rules brought in by the g.a.a. this one. I remember seeing lads who were bearly 15 thrown in to play senior hurling and football in the past with their club because they were good underage players and after a few years gave up playing all together becuase they had enough of it. When you are young, too much hurling and football is just as bad as too little. Some of these 15 years old that i saw playing in the past were playing under 16 hurling and football for their club, Minor hurling and football for the club, under 21 hurling and football for the club, senior/intermediate/junior hurling and football for the club. They were also playing with their college side in both hurling and football and maybe on a divisional and/or county panel or two at under 16 and maybe even minor as well. Phil Fanning has a good piece on the N&S this week about player burn out. What he has to say about all these development squads and playing for your club has to be addressed. While some will argue that the coaching is a good thing, you have to wonder is it just a case that COunty Boards are as phil suggests are thicking the boxes on a form to ensure that they are getting different grants from Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭soggy biscuit

What was the scores in the matches in the B?

Ardmore lost to Fourmilewater on a scoreline of 17 to 1-09. Ballyduff Upper beat Cois Bhride 4-13 to 2-13. Fourmile will be favourites to go on and win the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I haven't seen the N & S yet but the format of this years juvenile hurling is a joke with under 13,14,15,16 all being played at same time the 13 an 14's are week on week off, then you have eastern championships(NO NEED FOR THESE) U14 and U16 aswell as all county championship, then development squads there is no need for these to be training every week at this time of the year for u-13 with no competition to train for, this could be done in winter when no hurling or football is on, u-14 dev squads are stepping up their training now rightly so, were in a situation where a good 13 yr old will be playing in an average week

Monday- U13/14 championship game
    Tuesday- U14 County dev. training
    Wed- U16 championship game
    Thur-U15 if not on saturday
    Fri- development squad training
    Sat- U15 if not on Thursday
    Sun-

Nearly every night a talented upcoming hurler has to play a game or train now this is most weeks not all but last 4 weeks has been crazy, how has this happened.. Also these development coaches IMO should be alternated every week take 1 or 2 coaches from each club(IMPORTANT THESE COACHES LOOK AFTER THAT AGE GROUP WITHIN THEIR CLUB) who will give their time to do a session and keep things fresh do 2 sessions an leave another set of coaches do next 2 sessions an so on,this can be done in the off season the Games Development Officer could assess these coaches an make it easier to pick a backroom team to look after the county team, which would consist of defence coaches and attacking which in few years would greatly improve our development of teams, instead of some fella's putting their hand up at a meeting an gettin an u-13 development squad and going the whole way to minor with them, the system currently is a failure..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I haven't seen the N & S yet but the format of this years juvenile hurling is a joke with under 13,14,15,16 all being played at same time the 13 an 14's are week on week off, then you have eastern championships(NO NEED FOR THESE) U14 and U16 aswell as all county championship, then development squads there is no need for these to be training every week at this time of the year for u-13 with no competition to train for, this could be done in winter when no hurling or football is on, u-14 dev squads are stepping up their training now rightly so, were in a situation where a good 13 yr old will be playing in an average week

Monday- U13/14 championship game
    Tuesday- U14 County dev. training
    Wed- U16 championship game
    Thur-U15 if not on saturday
    Fri- development squad training
    Sat- U15 if not on Thursday
    Sun-

Nearly every night a talented upcoming hurler has to play a game or train now this is most weeks not all but last 4 weeks has been crazy, how has this happened.. Also these development coaches IMO should be alternated every week take 1 or 2 coaches from each club(IMPORTANT THESE COACHES LOOK AFTER THAT AGE GROUP WITHIN THEIR CLUB) who will give their time to do a session and keep things fresh do 2 sessions an leave another set of coaches do next 2 sessions an so on,this can be done in the off season the Games Development Officer could assess these coaches an make it easier to pick a backroom team to look after the county team, which would consist of defence coaches and attacking which in few years would greatly improve our development of teams, instead of some fella's putting their hand up at a meeting an gettin an u-13 development squad and going the whole way to minor with them, the system currently is a failure..

Who are the different coaches in both hurling and football this year with the development squads and do they make use of ex-inter county players to help coach/talk to those in the different teams. On twitter recently i noticed that the Cork G.A.A. County Bord tweeted that their under 16 hurling panel were getting together the following evening and that both Joe Deane and Diarmuid O'Sullivan would be in attendance. I would love to know if this happens in Waterford or if our coaching officers have it in them to actually arrange something like this. With years, some of the committee are well able to talk when they have to, but can actually put the talk into action.

Congratulations to Kevin Moran on his Opel player of the month award for July. For a lad to win this award having been on the losing team in the only 2 games hes played is a fair acheivement and a sign of what a real gem of a player he has grown into.

Results from Minor Hurling Championship

Division One
    Mount Sion v Dungarvan - Referee failed to turn up.

St. Carthages v Roanmore - Roanmore gave a walkover.
    De La Salle v Naomh Brid - Game was abandoned due to fog, Referee turned up half hour late! (DLS were up by 3pts at the time game was abandoned)

Division Two
    Tramore 4-10 v Clonea 2-10
    Passage 3-11 Erins Own 1-12
    Cappoquin 4-17 v Clan Na Gael 4-5
    Clashmore v Abbeyside in Abbeyside on Monday 13th August at 7:30pm.

Division Three
    Brickey Rangers 5-29 v Fourmilewater Gaa 1-6
    An Gaelteacht 3-10 v
    Portlaw Gaa 9-14
    Cois Bhride 5-20 Ferrybank 2-9
    Ardmore v St. Olivers - Waiting on result

Division Four
    Stradbally Gaa 2-4 v Ballyduff Upper 3-14
    Ballyduff Lower 5-7 v Kilrossanty 5-10

Round four of the County senior football championship takes place this weekend, where it could be make or break for a number of clubs. Tomas McCarthy http://tomasmccarthy.blogspot.ie/ and Thomas Keane http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/ have already given their views on this weekends games with TK also paying tribute to Trish Jackman on her most recent All-Ireland poc fada success in the cooley mountains.

Just want to pass on my sympathies to the family of Michael"Ducky"Ormonde in Lismore who passed away last night. A former Waterford star of the 70's he was a valuable member of Lismore GAA and his loss will be sorely missed.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

zol 2 wrote: »
    Just want to pass on my sympathies to the family of Michael"Ducky"Ormonde in Lismore who passed away last night. A former Waterford star of the 70's he was a valuable member of Lismore GAA and his loss will be sorely missed.

May he rest in peace.

I'm shocked to hear this very sad news Teak tough on the field, Gentleman off the field. Deepest sympathies.

I was looking at Deise Tom's Blog just now http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/. In it he give all league table as of this morning in the various hurling and football championships from Junior up to senior in both hurling and football. I was looking at the Western Intermediate Football League table and noticed that Ballinacourty are going all guns, winning their six games in the championship by on average just over 10 points. If they were to go all the way and win the Western and County Finals as their form suggests they could, Could and Would their second team be allowed to have to teams play senior football next year. I am sure there is nothing that says they cant if they were to submit two panels, and their form this year would suggest that they would be able to hold their own in the senior grade with a second team as teams like Brickeys, Dungarvan, Gaultier and Saint Saviours are no great shakes and I am sure Ballinacourty's second team would beat any of these sides going on results they have recorded this year. Or is it a case that Ballinacourty's second team are made to look good maybe because the rest of the teams playing intermediate are not really up to the standards that we saw in the championship in previous years. And what would happen if they did win the county final and did if they were allowed, opted to go up and the two sides were drawn against each other in the same group next year. When they were due to play each other, would the County Board allow the game be played in Abbeyside's own grounds or would they play it in Fraher Field. It might not attract a huge neutral support, but i would guess that it would attract a sizeable attendance from the Abbeyside/Ballinacourty area.

• Advertisement

Black Suir wrote: »
    I was looking at Deise Tom's Blog just now http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/. In it he give all league table as of this morning in the various hurling and football championships from Junior up to senior in both hurling and football. I was looking at the Western Intermediate Football League table and noticed that Ballinacourty are going all guns, winning their six games in the championship by on average just over 10 points. If they were to go all the way and win the Western and County Finals as their form suggests they could, Could and Would their second team be allowed to have to teams play senior football next year. I am sure there is nothing that says they cant if they were to submit two panels, and their form this year would suggest that they would be able to hold their own in the senior grade with a second team as teams like Brickeys, Dungarvan, Gaultier and Saint Saviours are no great shakes and I am sure Ballinacourty's second team would beat any of these sides going on results they have recorded this year. Or is it a case that Ballinacourty's second team are made to look good maybe because the rest of the teams playing intermediate are not really up to the standards that we saw in the championship in previous years. And what would happen if they did win the county final and did if they were allowed, opted to go up and the two sides were drawn against each other in the same group next year. When they were due to play each other, would the County Board allow the game be played in Abbeyside's own grounds or would they play it in Fraher Field. It might not attract a huge neutral support, but i would guess that it would attract a sizeable attendance from the Abbeyside/Ballinacourty area.

They can if they decide to, but they don't have to. If they win it twice in a row though I'm fairly sure they would have to move up to Senior.

The fact is club football in Waterford is very weak at the moment. Not only are the top sides not competing as well as they were in Munster but the amount of poor teams that aren't anywhere near the standard of the top 3 or 4 even in the Senior is frightening, and the intermediate is terrible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement