Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭iceblue

Juvenile in what way? I'm talking about the believeability or otherwise of the current Jo/Dermot storyline when it's blindingly obvious that there's a very heavily pregnant actress playing a woman whose character is unable to have children. I don't see how this storyline couldn't have been played out a month or two earlier when her pregnancy would have been less obvious. If that sounds juvenile to you, then I'm at a loss to figure out why.

for a start harry, your inability to seperate the actress from her real life is a bit juvenile....
    how does it detract from the storyline?...cause as a character she cant get pregnant. cause the pregnancy isnt written in to the story?
    cause she is hiding behind bags and sleeping bags and tables....
    cop on.
    so what she is pregnant. just ignore it. instead of acting like a teenage boy ....i have this vision of you sniggering and blushing everytime she is on telly... ?..and if you cant see whats wrong with making your two previous comments about it .....unless of course you were just trying to be funny....and i just dont get your sense of humour....and im being too serious?....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Jo calls Dermot Durmit where do ye get Dermish from :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

how bleedin obvious was joe s bump , are fair city saying like hey she will be leaving soon look shes pregnant in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Jo calls Dermot Durmit where do ye get Dermish from :confused:

because she does have a bit of a sh on the end of saying his name... it's not a hard T like one would expecTTTT... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

iceblue wrote: »
    for a start harry, your inability to seperate the actress from her real life is a bit juvenile....
    how does it detract from the storyline?...cause as a character she cant get pregnant. cause the pregnancy isnt written in to the story?
    cause she is hiding behind bags and sleeping bags and tables....
    cop on.
    so what she is pregnant. just ignore it. instead of acting like a teenage boy ....i have this vision of you sniggering and blushing everytime she is on telly... ?..and if you cant see whats wrong with making your two previous comments about it .....unless of course you were just trying to be funny....and i just dont get your sense of humour....and im being too serious?....
    That's OTT tbh.
    To have an actor who's obviously pregnant in a role where she's supposedly not pregnant asks too much for "suspension of disbelief" to work. For a while they tried to hide it but at some point they just gave up and took the "Ah shure, till do" approach.
    I suspect that the need to have the climax to the Jo/Tommy affair storyline at Chistmas/New Year dictated that Jo had to stay on board long after her pregnancy could no longer be camouflaged but it is sloppy on the part of FC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I have no problems at all with separating the actress from real life. So you think it's "juvenile" of me to highlight the fact that Jo's pregnancy is a distraction, yet the point is also being made by many other people on this thread?

You think it's "juvenile" of me to suggest that this storyline should have been played out a couple of months earlier when she would be less noticeable, or even left on the back burner until she came back to Fair City in a few months time when they wouldn't have to be using shopping bags, sleeping bags, banisters, tables and silly scarves to try to hide what is glaringly obvious and impossible to hide?

Fair City gets a lot of slagging for being a rubbish soap. It's instances like this where Fair City lets itself down completely. Sure, we see actresses on soaps all the time who get pregnant, but the writers almost always allow them to slide into the background when the bump starts to show and they certainly don't put them at the centre of a major storyline if it can be avoided. This is the sort of thing that Fair City gets rightly panned for. The writers seem to have absolutely no common sense or cop-on.

instead of acting like a teenage boy ....i have this vision of you sniggering and blushing everytime she is on telly...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: And you accuse me of being juvenile??

i just dont get your sense of humour....and im being too serious?....

Answers on a postcard please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

cloptrop wrote: »
    how bleedin obvious was joe s bump , are fair city saying like hey she will be leaving soon look shes pregnant in real life

I just think they should stop showing a side profile of her. This is in nearly every scene that Jo plays. It seems that they are drawing attention to her pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

cofy wrote: »
    I just think they should stop showing a side profile of her. This is in nearly every scene that Jo plays. It seems that they are drawing attention to her pregnancy.
    maybe its a masterstroke in fair city story telling and its tommy dillons baby , and with all the stress she didnt notice she was up the duff
    she cant have kids you say? tommy dillon wouldnt take that for an answer , sure isnt it all organic

• Registered Users Posts: 55,030 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't watch any soaps apart from Fair City. I must say, it is a whole lot better than the tripe in England. The ridiculous drawn out plots, silly comedy and far fetched crap you get in Corrie and Enders makes you appreciate Fair City.

It's not perfect, granted, but compared to the ones I named, it is much better. More believeable, less ridiculous, less gloomy and far less sensationalised. Plus, it's about Dubs. Much easier to relate to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Karen23 wrote: »
    Why is Niamh so keen to buy a second hand sleeping bag for Rachel's birthday present ?
    Fittle wrote: »
    While I thought that the acting from both Dermish and Joe was great tonight...how on earth could the writers think that trying to bring Niamh into the story by getting her to obsess about buying a 2nd hand sleeping bag from a 2nd hand shop, was a good storyline?
    That was ridiculous in the extreme that she would knock on Joes door, encouraging her to open up the Shelter so she could buy the sleeping bag as a present for her step-daughters surprise party tomorrow.

I think it was due to the fact that she was sleeping in the Helping Hand.
    Now what are the chances that someone would come in the very next day and want to buy the only sleeping bag in the shop..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tonyclifton

I'm up all night worrying about Niamh and her terrible problem with the sleeping bag!!::)) F.F.S!!........Love F/C but in the middle of the big showdown we have her knocking on Dermot and Jo's door still asking about the goddam second hand sleeping blanket who the hell would go on such a mission for a second hand sleeping bag so unbelieveable like a little after thought by the writers or space fillers really not good enough !!!....
    Apart from that Dermot played his scenes great bout time that bitch Jo got caught('',).....

so if any of you are talking to Niamh tell her i have a brand new sleeping bag I bought for the the electric picnic that I never used and she is welcome to it free of charge..and I pass by Carrickstown everyday on my way to work I could could drop it into her('',)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,622 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wed 11/01
    Orla is shocked when she sees Rachel being bullied by Dave and another group of students about her stealing. Orla then goes up to Deegan and confesses what really happened to Rachel. Soon afterwards, Deegan calls to the Dillons' house and asks Caoimhe to accompany him to the station. At the same time, Rachel is still being bullied by Dave, but finally stands up to him by throwing a bag of crisps over him and walking off.
    Later, Decco gets a phone call from Deegan, asking him to come down to the lock-up. He is soon horrified to learn that Caoimhe stashed all her stuff there. As the day continues, a furious Caoimhe bumps into Orla and attacks her for ratting her out. The pair part sworn enemies. In the end, Orla finally gets enough courage to tell the truth to Niamh about Rachel.
    Meanwhile, Dermot finds strength in Kelly's attitude towards his break-up with Jo. When Dermot wonders if he has done the right thing, she assures him that he has. Later, Tommy tries to talk to Dermot but he blanks him.
    Elsewhere, Lucy goes to the charity shop to help out and meets with Carol and Niamh. They chat about the Molloys and she learns more about the family. Later, Wayne invites Lucy to his house for dinner, but soon realises that nothing will happen between them. They go to bed in separate rooms, but Lucy sneaks downstairs and stares at the Molloys' pictures.

Thurs 12/01
    Niamh decides to tell Paul the truth about Rachel and try to make Orla look somewhat good in the process. Niamh is just about to tell Paul about Orla, but Decco interrupts and informs him of Orla and Caoimhe's wrongdoing.
    Paul quickly goes on the warpath, calling to Dermot and attacking Orla in front of Rachel. Rachel learns the truth for the first time too and feels completely betrayed by Orla. Paul cuts all ties with Orla, before trying to make it up to Rachel for not believing her.
    Meanwhile, Wayne informs an impressed Lucy about his inheritance money. She thinks of some really good ways that he could invest the cash, but he insults her when he feels that she's only interested in him for that.
    Elsewhere, Judith is wounded when she realises that she has lost the respect of her daughters; Dermot realises that he is relying on Kelly too much but can't think of a free solution to his problem; while Caoimhe is shaken when she meets Decco and he threatens her.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Dermot and Jo are really playing a blinder. Great to see another side to Dermots character rather than be bossed by Jo all the time, never thought he had it in him to stand up to her :).

Noticed they still have their Christmas decorations up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I seem to be the only person I know that still has my tree and decorations up , nearly everybody took them down on Monday before going back to work.
    rogercar wrote: »
    Are you seriousley telling me, that everyone you know, family, friends neighbours, your local businessis eg. shops, pubs, hotels,supermarkets, shopping malls etc have all taken down their Christmas decorations by Monday 2nd January. And does that include all the outdoor Christmas lights etc, I dont think so! Fair City have messed up yet again. And nothing you say can justify it. Happy new year!

I dont seem to remember mentioning shops , pubs hotels etc but yes all of my neighbours and friends have taken down their Christmas lights and decorations , I was actually embarrassed turning on the lights last night because mine are the last left :( Happy New Year to you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I was trying to remember what Dermots expression reminded me of when he lost the head with Jo, then I thought of it:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSet1oRNwbBQBeV3Swu8t8dgCmjzlc7aw9n7att8cpNMYihNGPp_g

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

I dont seem to remember mentioning shops , pubs hotels etc but yes all of my neighbours and friends have taken down their Christmas lights and decorations , I was actually embarrassed turning on the lights last night because mine are the last left :( Happy New Year to you too :)
    Why should you be embarrassed? They are the idiots for removing theirs so soon. My comment was in relation to Carraigstown. Christmas disappeared from there rather abruptly. Also it is considered unlucky to remove decorations before Jan 6th. (not that I believe that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tonyclifton

vektarman wrote: »
    I was trying to remember what Dermots expression reminded me of when he lost the head with Jo, then I thought of it:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSet1oRNwbBQBeV3Swu8t8dgCmjzlc7aw9n7att8cpNMYihNGPp_g

Heeeerrrrreeeee's Deeeeeerrrrrrmmmmootttttt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

What crap acting by Rachael and Orla.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What crap acting by Rachael and Orla.

I thought they were rather good actually!

The security guard is freaky though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Why is Charlotte staying quiet about seeing Caoimhe put the items in Rachel's bag? Rachel didn't disclose that Denzo was in the Bishops' house in Christmas Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

endakenny wrote: »
    Why is Charlotte staying quiet about seeing Caoimhe put the items in Rachel's bag? Rachel didn't disclose that Denzo was in the Bishops' house in Christmas Day.

Prob cos Caoimh is going out with Decco and she feels some sort of loyalty towards her?

Good point, leahyl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

Good point, leahyl

I actually think it's meant to be poorly done jealousy. Charlotte, often, is jealous of anyone whose done or got something she hasn't.

Rachel was getting all the attention tonight - the make-over, surprise party, etc. Charlotte saw Caoimhe was up to no good with Rachel's bag and never said a word - largely, I think, due to jealousy. Plus she doesn't like Caoimhe so don't think she feels any loyalty towards her.

That said, I could be entirely wrong. :D

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    I actually think it's meant to be poorly done jealousy. Charlotte, often, is jealous of anyone whose done or got something she hasn't.

Rachel was getting all the attention tonight - the make-over, surprise party, etc. Charlotte saw Caoimhe was up to no good with Rachel's bag and never said a word - largely, I think, due to jealousy. Plus she doesn't like Caoimhe so don't think she feels any loyalty towards her.

Now that I've thought more about it, I think you're right. I remember her resentment towards Sash when she moved in. Sash said to Charlotte that it was sick that she was using her leukaemia as an excuse to get her own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭ameliajane

Perhaps Charlotte did not like how Orla treated Rachel to a makeover and ignored her completely. Charlotte may be slightly jealous of Rachel's popularity and the fuss being made over her. Charlotte received attention from everyone before but she was extremely ill before it was shown to her. Rachel is loved and shown it all the time. Also the Bishops wouldn't be so inclined to "grass" on anyone much less Caoimhe who is the daughter of Vivienne's boss and the girlfriend of Charlotte's brother too. Their natural objective is not to get caught.

Rachel is loyal and didn't say anything about Denzo. Charlotte has issues! She is a Bishop.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,622 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

IsMiseLisa wrote: »

Yes I think Charlotte is jealous of Rachel

Judith is some idiot she sounded like she was blaming her daughters tonight for the atmosphere in the house she really wants to keep up her perfect family life appearance

I have to say that for once I rather enjoyed seeing Caoimhe's scowl at the end of the episode. It is nice to know that for once she will not get away with things and continue to be a spoilt madame. It will become clear that she is guilty and that will be an episode to look forward to.
    I am not a fan of Caoimhe which may be evident in this post! I can't understand Judith at all.
    Well done to Dermot. Clearly not the Dermuppet I labelled him as in my other posts. It is good to see someone standing up for themselves and not be treated unjustly.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Y

Judith is some idiot she sounded like she was blaming her daughters tonight for the atmosphere in the house she really wants to keep up her perfect family life appearance
    I don't think that's the case. Tommy was punished by having to sleep on the couch, causing him back pain. He is trying to make it up to the girls but, as he said, how can he do that with the backchat and the exclusion from many things. Judith gave him a choice: walk away or salvage the family. Furthermore, there is Zak to think of. The impact of Tommy's affair would be the most serious on him because he's still a child. Zak's sisters are adults.

I think that Caoimhe's actions will have a much more serious impact on her family than her father's infidelity.

Fairplay to the lady who plays Jo. She is so credible in the role and inspires such anger from me as the cheating, hypocritical wife and mother. She is as nasty as Yvonne can be at times although, it is shown in a different way. The villains are always the more interesting to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

As enjoyable as it is to see Dermot give Jo her well-deserved and long overdue comeuppance I wonder how realistic it is?

Even though Jo is the guilty party in this split isn't it far more likely that she will end up with custody of Ben and possession of the house if the Fahy's split up?

Shouldn't it be Dermot that ensures he gets a really, really good solicitor? Family Law tends not to favour the husband in the majority of cases with custody battles.
    I wonder would FC explore this plotline where Dermot gets shafted and loses everything despite being the innocent party. It would be interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement