Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

An File wrote: »
    Why did we never do a Limerick beers?!

I think like most things in my life, an attempt was made and it failed miserably. :P :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Had a bit of an existential crisis last night in a bar in Dublin. After yet another week on the road for work.
    One week here has me reevaluating what I want out of my life and my twenties.
    I think me and Limerick have about run our course. I need out.

Dublin pubs will do that to you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

pajor wrote: »
    Dublin pubs will do that to you. :pac:

That they will. This is a wicked town. Usually I can't wait to get home after being on the road but I'm still here in Dublin a day after finishing up here.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'm the same now tbh. I've been in Limerick for over 5 years now, and it's starting to feel like I'll never get out of here....
    When I left college , the plan was to work for a year. Save some cash. Then go back and do a course. Now it's three years later. And while there's lots of things I have an interest in doing. None of them require a college degree. So I'm just kind of hanging around in limbo. Limericks grand and all but it's empty half the year. I'm working nights on an ever changing roster so I don't get to go out and meet people much. Pretty much all the friends and relationships I've had here have been through work so I'm starting to wonder what it actually is I'm waiting around for.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

When I left college , the plan was to work for a year. Save some cash. Then go back and do a course. Now it's three years later. And while there's lots of things I have an interest in doing. None of them require a college degree. So I'm just kind of hanging around in limbo. Limericks grand and all but it's empty half the year. I'm working nights on an ever changing roster so I don't get to go out and meet people much. Pretty much all the friends and relationships I've had here have been through work so I'm starting to wonder what it actually is I'm waiting around for.

I'm rather terrified of falling into the same trap if I'm honest. I had this great plan of heading to Denmark to do a Masters as soon as I get my degree, but more and more I'm thinking it'd probably be smarter to work for a year or two, save money, and then go when I've got more of a cash safety net (Denmark is expensive as all hell from what I can make out).

But I know me, I'll get comfortable fast if I get into a routine of 9-5 again like while I was on placement. Not even kidding, I was looking at houses to buy in Limerick on Daft recently thinking "Y'know, if I were earning €X (which is not too much higher than what I was earning on placement) I could potentially afford this place... how cool would that be!".

And honestly, the happiest I've been in years was when I had that 9-5 routine. I know if I fell back into it, I'd find it extremely hard to break out and go back to college again...

TL;DR -> Growing up and having to make actual long term life decisions is hard y'all!

• Advertisement

I'm rather terrified of falling into the same trap if I'm honest. I had this great plan of heading to Denmark to do a Masters as soon as I get my degree,

But I know me, I'll get comfortable fast if I get into a routine of 9-5 again

And honestly, the happiest I've been in years was when I had that 9-5 routine. I know if I fell back into it, I'd find it extremely hard to break out and go back to college again...

TL;DR -> Growing up and having to make actual long term life decisions is hard y'all!

Canada was my grand plan, until I became friends with someone who went over on the two year visa and had an absolutely horrible time and came back no better off financially.

The work routine is a double edged sword .It's great to have cash and be able to afford things after living the student(flat broke) life. But routine becomes comfort becomes stagnation.
    Now I'm slowly clawing my way up the ladder here but it's become boring.

I just don't want to fall into the trap of sitting around waiting for my real life to begin.

I've been in an office job for very close to 6 months and I hate it now. The stress is probably slowly killing me, dread going into work almost everyday. When I see my more knowledgable and experienced colleagues get so stressed too, I know it's not for me forever. And all I do is sit at a computer all day, not what I want to do with my life.

I am sorta minted though, money is great, so I can save loads. Nice balance in the 'oul savings account helped along with loads of government allowances over here. But the money is not worth it. Definitely an early life lesson for me. Good pay is not worth being unhappy in your job.

I've been in an office job for very close to 6 months and I hate it now. The stress is probably slowly killing me, dread going into work almost everyday. When I see my more knowledgable and experienced colleagues get so stressed too, I know it's not for me forever. And all I do is sit at a computer all day, not what I want to do with my life.

I am sorta minted though, money is great, so I can save loads. Nice balance in the 'oul savings account helped along with loads of government allowances over here. But the money is not worth it. Definitely an early life lesson for me. Good pay is not worth being unhappy in your job.

Definitely.

I think the reason I'm so eager to get back into the 9-5 was that that was the first time in a good few years that I was more or less completely happy. Sure, the job had its bad days when nothing went right, but by and large getting up in the morning to head in was never that much of a struggle. Just the atmosphere there suited me perfect at the time, even though we were earning below minimum wage so I wasn't exactly rolling in cash (even taking into account Castletroy rent during the summer :P).

Like, with college right now, it's a struggle every day to actually force myself to go in, get work done, etc. It's not helping that things beyond my control are sort of disintegrating around me too.

I dunno, I guess I just want some change from being in UL, be that working or moving country, either way I think I'm just done with the place at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I bought a laptop the other day and it concerts into a 15" tablet and its quite weird having a massive touch screen in front of you. i feel so futuristic cause im so used to my laptops and desktops with the old fashioned keyboards and mouse... someday it will just be touchy touchy everywhere. although i will admit trying to right click using tough screen proves very difficult. come on Microsoft fix this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Was a bit drunk at a party last night

Sort of promised granny I'd become a priest

Feck

• Advertisement

Feck

That is one of the strangest promises I've heard anyone make while drunk...

That is one of the strangest promises I've heard anyone make while drunk...

Can't break the news to her either

Might just be easier to become one

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Tell her you've found the love of a good person of indeterminate gender and can't become a priest?

Tell her you're becoming a priest of the Satanic Order and that you look forward to commending her soul to Beelzebub when she passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Feck
    Sure, why wouldn't ya?

Sure, why wouldn't ya?

story of my life

Dublin peeps. Trying to decide on things to get my dad for his fiftieth. Want it to be a day trip to Dublin where we'll be forced to interact. A combo of being Irish and introverts gives us a very non communicative father/son relationships. If people could give reccomendations on good places to go in Dublin ? Historically /culturally significant. Good places to eat.
    At the minute all I've settled on is a distillery tour and pints in o donughues. Two of our great loves. Whiskey and The Dubliners.
    But I don't know Dublin well enough to think of much else things to do up there. Could possibly make it an overnight thing so will have to fill two days

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Dublin peeps. Trying to decide on things to get my dad for his fiftieth. Want it to be a day trip to Dublin where we'll be forced to interact. A combo of being Irish and introverts gives us a very non communicative father/son relationships. If people could give reccomendations on good places to go in Dublin ? Historically /culturally significant. Good places to eat.
    At the minute all I've settled on is a distillery tour and pints in o donughues. Two of our great loves. Whiskey and The Dubliners.
    But I don't know Dublin well enough to think of much else things to do up there. Could possibly make it an overnight thing so will have to fill two days

The Kilmainham Gaol tour is really good, if you're into that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

so im out of a job now for he next 5 month and trying to find the motivation to go to the gym just aint happening :(

Jhcx wrote: »
    so im out of a job now for he next 5 month and trying to find the motivation to go to the gym just aint happening :(

If you have a limited time of unemployment, enjoy it! Wouldn't mind it myself atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

If you have a limited time of unemployment, enjoy it! Wouldn't mind it myself atm.

Things are getting quiet in the hotel i work so hours are being reduced and Im so excited! This weekend Im only working 1day instead of 3 and my excitement cant be contained! I cant wait to stay in Galway for a weekend, visit my sis at her college, study instead of work, sculpt that thing I really want tobut just haven't had the time, etc.

I love my job, its a dreamjob tbh and I love working weekend nights too (it makes not having plans to go out cause Ive no friends at home less sad cause "sure I had to work anyways") but omg able to actually make plans that I can commit to eg visiting my sis, is going to be awesome!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm working 4 nights a week on top of college, ughhhh :(

I'm working 4 nights a week on top of college, ughhhh :(

That's a challenge. Fair play.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm working six mornings a week, plus college. It's actually hell

I'm working six mornings a week, plus college. It's actually hell
    I used to get of the bus on a Friday and basically work till I got back on the bus to college Sunday night. Lasted a year.
    Big respect to those who can actually make it through college like that.

I used to get of the bus on a Friday and basically work till I got back on the bus to college Sunday night. Lasted a year.
    Big respect to those who can actually make it through college like that.

Oooooh that what I do now! But alaas Im only working 1 day this weekend :D:D:D

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Oooooh that what I do now! But alaas Im only working 1 day this weekend :D:D:D

Alas? You seem too happy about it for it to be an alas kind of situation :p.
    Or was it a sarcastic alas.
    :p

Alas? You seem too happy about it for it to be an alas kind of situation :p.
    Or was it a sarcastic alas.
    :p

Its both good and bad I suppose, bad my hours are being cut but good I get sme free time which I am very excited about :D

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Its both good and bad I suppose, bad my hours are being cut but good I get sme free time which I am very excited about :D
    Youre rationalizing. Cut hours is always bad. Because it's rarely temporary. My shops not too bad cause I work like a dog so I get my hours but the other locations in town give terrible hours even to those who work hard and they are all broke and depressed

• Advertisement

Youre rationalizing. Cut hours is always bad. Because it's rarely temporary. My shops not too bad cause I work like a dog so I get my hours but the other locations in town give terrible hours even to those who work hard and they are all broke and depressed

Well I work weddings so its pretty seasonal work like....there arent as may Noveber weddings as there are June ones :o

Advertisement