Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    http://www.qj.net/nintendo-3ds/news/gaijin-games-3ds-circle-pad-add-on-is-total-crap.html

TBH I think the dev is more pissed off having another addon to consider when developing a game, rather than the inevitable nature of the second circle pad itself.

It's like Japanese companies met to discuss how terrible they could make the handheld market for gen 8. News of the PSVita with little memory and only 3.5hours of gamelife and 5 hours for video:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/09/sony-saddles-vita-with-expensive-proprietary-memory-and-short-battery-life.ars

It'll have games, which puts it slightly ahead of the 3DS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

So your officially a member of the "p1ssed of at Nintendo & where the fugg are all the 3DS games" club? Velkommen :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Heck, even this thing is streets ahead of the 3DS in that case. :pac:

CLICK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

EnterNow wrote: »
    So your officially a member of the "p1ssed of at Nintendo & where the fugg are all the 3DS games" club? Velkommen :p

Nein, I know better than to buy a console at launch :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EnterNow wrote: »
    And before JU has a field day :D, the pic of Black Ops is only there as my 8 year old forces me to play it over the lan in the house via system link :o. Though Zombies is actually fun!

You think so little of me, Enternow :( I swear I'm not a crazy person who goes around insulting anyone who isn't eating ramen and playing obscure Japanese titles for at least two thirds of their waking life.

I don't hate Black Ops. I hate the people who only play Black Ops. Unfortunately, that seems to consist of 80%+ of gamers these days.

• Advertisement

You think so little of me, Enternow :( I swear I'm not a crazy person who goes around insulting anyone who isn't eating ramen and playing obscure Japanese titles for at least two thirds of their waking life.

I don't hate Black Ops. I hate the people who only play Black Ops. Unfortunately, that seems to consist of 80%+ of gamers these days.

Lol I jest I jest dude :p

Your dead right though re the scope of mainstream gamers & their love for poo though :(

Nein, I know better than to buy a console at launch :D

Touche good sir, though I will counter that with it isn't mine, & try telling your 8 year old son he can't get one ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is the handheld I want!
    Here's a pic, think it came up here before...
    1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

This is the handheld I want!
    Here's a pic, think it came up here before...
    1.jpg

There is a very strong whiff of "WANT"off that baby :D

I read about it before but sort of forgot about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the basic concept of localisation bothers me to be perfectly honest. In a perfect world, everything would be translated rather than localised. Obviously you have to adapt a little bit, but the closer to the original vision as possible the better. Atlus are good at this - little things like having characters say 'senpai' or 'sensei' at the end of the sentence (to which there is no English equivalent) shows they're being loyal to the original script. Leaving them out entirely would be a far worse solution But the second something is changed to a more Westernised alternative, something important is lost. I want to play the game as close to the creator's vision as possible. Any change is significant! Sure, I'm pretty snobby when it comes to this, but I feel its justified snobbery :P (an aside: Phoenix Wright still stands out as the best localisation of all, although its telling that features no significant voice acting!)

The problem with games is that if you don't have an English voice track then the the publishers won't release your games, well I think. It's part of their terms and conditions. So getting the game to market comes first and if there's room on the disc then the japanese voice track is included.

As for Catherine, you'd be surprised how much data 1080p video and a 7.1 voice track can take up. I'm pretty sure that on the PS3 and 360 the games are close to full with some severe compression on the 360.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I truly weep for the state of games journalism. According to eurogamer Radiant Silvergun is the only exceptional game on the saturn. The reviewer is lucky I'm not living near him because he'll get a copy of cho aniki rammed down his throat.

BTW: Chrono Trigger is truly exceptional!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The reviewer is lucky I'm not living near him because he'll get a copy of cho aniki rammed down his throat

Waste of a good game. Here, take this copy of Dick Tracy for the C64 and use that instead. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah!
    Then Retr0 will grab a hold of that loser and ram Dick down his throat...

Wait a minute there, not sure that is the desired form of punishment!

Here, use this copy of Epic Mickey instead, that'll learn'im!

Official format magazines - easily one of the most lulzworthy sources of 'journalism' on this planet. Some particularly hyperbolic, ill-informed marketing from the OXBM review of Gears of War 3:

Just saw this,
    http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/gears-war-3-review

Looks like the OXBM review, while lased with hyperbolae may not have been too wide of the mark after all.
    Now to find the pennies to buy it.
    I wonder if I can sell any more blood this month...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,483 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Feck games, make him deep throat one of these -
    mame_333-img600x450-1016958344pro1.jpg

Just saw this,

Looks like the OXBM review, while lased with hyperbolae may not have been too wide of the mark after all.

Not my type of game alas. However I just played the new FIFA 12 demo and shall be running to a video game retail outlet as fast as my legs will carry me to buy it.

Say what you like about the FIFA games, but personally I absolutely love them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote:

Just saw this,

Yeah getting good reviews all around from the more reputable sites :)

As I've said before, Gears is my "I can't help but enjoy the crap out of this" franchise so ready to chainsaw some Locust scum on Tuesday, while listening to what is surely a lot of entirely of ludicrously gruff males engaging in non sexual grunting!

Got a good chuckle at an Xbox PR event I was at earlier when one of the Microsoft lads was complaining his it had dropped a metecritic point to 91.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

German police seek help over mystery 'forest boy'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14950656

It doesn't mention if he had an ocarina or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Why are people deep throating now?? O_0

• Registered Users Posts: 34,483 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Why are people deep throating now?? O_0

Ciderman has turned this into a den of iniquity with all his smut!

• Advertisement

Who wants a Neo Geo MVS PORTABLE? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ciderman has turned this into a den of iniquity with all his smut!
    obama-not-bad.jpg

While 'bird' is watching Big Brother on Channel 5, I'm ripping my Bomber Man OST and making ringtones*. Love Bomber Man!

*even white noise is better than any of the iPhone stock tones.

Changed my mind. If any video game music was deserving of being my favourite ring tone it has to be this. I could listen to this on repeat forever. In fact, this will be my funeral music. True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Pyongyang wrote: »
    While 'bird' is watching Big Brother on Channel 5, I'm ripping my Bomber Man OST and making ringtones*. Love Bomber Man!

*even white noise is better than any of the iPhone stock tones.
    I'd Bomberman as my ringtone years ago :cool:
    it went off in school and got an awful slagging but all I could think was "can't wait to go home and play Bomberman"
    edit: all this Bomberman talk, now has me thinking of Pretty Bomber as a cosplay

One of the finest video game series ever made (which is why I'm currently trying to collect them all). So simple in it's execution, but the absolute buttered beans when, 753 hours later you and 924,611 friends are still punching each other in the arm or getting each other in headlocks and butting SNES controllers on each others foreheads in disgust as yet another round of Bomber Man via multitap saps and consumes your every waking moment.

It won a place alongside the Back To The Future trilogy in my 'so good it's tucked away in a bomb and fire proof (how apt) vault nestled on a velvet cushion and spoon fed Primula and Evian' list. Separate from my ever changing top 10 favourites list. :)

What about bomberman HD? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What about bomberman HD? :P

argh-zuzanna-lapies.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Decided to have a little mess around with Movie Maker and this is the result

George Lucas eat your heart out:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement