Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Few moments later, a car passes by with a gloved hand waving out the window. Long story short: it was the Emperor of Japan.

:O

Akira Toriyama?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    :O

Akira Toriyama?

Only the most famous living artist in the history of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,566 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Most people seem to love it but the guy on Roleplayers Realm podcast said that the dungeons were too long and the battle system is a single player world of warcraft and some of the party members are useless. Said it was good but not the second coming that some people make it out to be. He says that on the other hand Last Story which is coming here soon is absolutely sublime and is the second coming.

Interesting. Have you heard any other negative comments?

On the positive side, people are really gushing about it -

IGN UK gave the game 9.0 stating that "Xenoblade Chronicles is the best Japanese RPG of this generation".[23] Metro shared a similar view awarding the game 9/10 and saying in conclusion that Xenoblade is "the best Japanese role-player of the current generation and a big step forwards for the genre in terms of accessibility and ambition".[29] Cubed³ gave the game 10/10, stating "Monolith Soft’s grand Xenoblade Chronicles has arrived, bringing with it a sterling soundtrack, a phenomenal visual impact, vast amount of customisation, intriguing story and massive value for money."[25] Eurogamer gave the game 9/10 stating that "It's a game that invites us to reassess an entire genre, pointing to a bold future while nodding its respect towards the past. It's a towering triumph",[19] and later chose Xenoblade Chronicles as game of the week.[37]

Edge said that it's "a glowing comeback for the Japanese RPG" and saying in conclusion that "Xenoblade Chronicles manages to impress, enrich and, best of all, inspire wonder" awarding the game 9/10.[18] The Official Nintendo Magazine have also praised the game, giving it a score of 92% and calling it, "A genre-reviving blaze of wonder, immense scale and smart design."[24] GameSpot UK awarded a 9 out of 10, saying that it "is a remarkable game" and "drags the JRPG into the 21st century, modernising many of the genre's traits and nailing a pace that outclasses the majority of its peers" giving the game a 9.0.[21]

DualShockers awarded the game a 9.5 out of 10 and praised it as the best Japanese RPG released this generation, writing that Xenoblade Chronicles is "the perfect “Don’t worry, I still Love you” signal given by Nintendo to it’s most hardcore fans, and a strong, resounding “no” said right in the face of those that advocate the theory that the JRPG genre is dead".[30]

Oh and I hope everyone has already seen the 8-Bit episode of Futurama.. it's outstanding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    /Edit - bollocks. Low print run = everywhere sold out and copies selling for stupid amounts on ebay. God damn it!
    saw LOADS in town, seriously, there mustn't be any ghosts in it
    want me to check for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,566 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sera wrote: »
    saw LOADS in town, seriously, there mustn't be any ghosts in it
    want me to check for you?

Please! Thanks a mil :)

/Edit - I assume you mean Limerick yeah? As if you mean in Dublin I'll check wherever you saw them on my way home from work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Please! Thanks a mil :)

/Edit - I assume you mean Limerick yeah? As if you mean in Dublin I'll check wherever you saw them on my way home from work!
    I thought you know it was when I said ghosts, I'll text Richard and ask him is there any left and I'll let you know :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Anyone here playing Xenoblade Chronicles?

A mate of mine sent me a text saying it's the best game he's played in years. I don't really have time for JRPGs, but you can't really pass up something like that.

Is it really that good?

/Edit - bollocks. Low print run = everywhere sold out and copies selling for stupid amounts on ebay. God damn it!

I've only played about 4 hours so far but it's good. I'm not sure if long dungeons is that valid a complaint since it has quick travel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everything else I heard was positive about xenoblade. Anyway the roleplayers realm guy was positive about it, just said that he didn't understand the immense praise it was getting but it was a game still worth playing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Something about the look of Xenoblade puts me off. MMORPG / FF12/13 and monster hunter, none of which Im too fond of.

But that may just because i cant find it anywhere. Do really want to try it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Watched a video of it earlier and what would put me off was the voice acting during battles. Although maybe that can be muted. :D

Everything else I heard was positive about xenoblade. Anyway the roleplayers realm guy was positive about it, just said that he didn't understand the immense praise it was getting but it was a game still worth playing.

I think it's just the fact the Americans are being denied something so there hyping it up so they can feel more justified in their internet rage. It does seem a very solid experience so far though. Apart from the voice acting which is passable.

Well I've heard it's more like PSO/World of Warcraft than anything. I've also heard it described as FF12 but with a battle system that has been tweeked so it's not as god awful. Not really like Monster Hunter. I did hear there were lots of side quests, most of which were fetch quests although no where near as tedious as in an MMO. I'm wary as well but wiling to give it a try, I really did not like FFXII's battle system and found it a very boring game outside of boss battles.

I have heard that Last Story based around the same system but is massively improved and adds actual strategy to the combat. You're character can really dictate the battle field by pushing and herding enemes into the support characters area of attack spells and there's also a great counter system in the combat that means it far less automated. Richard from roleplayers realm says that it's the game people should really be getting excited about.

I'm getting a bad feeling that just FFXII, xenoblade was well received by the press here because of the similarities with western rpgs and mmo's since there I've found the press has been very negative about jrpg's for sometime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It always disappoints me that original voice tracks aren't treated with the same respect as film or anime. It seems only low budget releases (Murasama, Yakuza) and Nippon Ichi games are the ones that retain Japaneselanguage. The bigger the release, the less likely it is you'll get anything other than always inferior translations.

It particularly surprises that the otherwise fanboy friendly Atlus don't include the option to change. Storage space excuses only get you so far!

There's a japanese voice over option so don't worry! :)

It particularly surprises that the otherwise fanboy friendly Atlus don't include the option to change. Storage space excuses only get you so far!

Atlus though do fantastic jobs of localisation though. It only annoys me when the localistion is terrible and there's no option to change the voices. A friend of mine once sent me a youtube video to show that it's a bit snobby looking for japanese voices in games. It was of Street Fighter 4 with M. Bison asking for ice cream and talking about how much he liked puppies. It seemed cool because it was in japanese.

Anyway the only games I can think of where Atlus could have included a japanese voice track and didn't were Persona 3 and 4 and those two games really were full to the brim with data going by the install size on my hard disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

A question to you fogies:

Does Chrono Trigger still warrant the hype it receives?

Edit: I do forget there's a JRPG section.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

i tired to play it a year ago and could never really get into it.

Edit: I do forget there's a JRPG section.
    Yes. It's possibly my favourite game of all time.

Wish more RPGs had followed in it's footsteps. Think the Grandia games are the only games to come close in terms of depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Only ever tried to play it properly once. Was really enjoying it but then my save file got corrupted and I didnt wanna go through it all again :(
    I might get back to it someday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Cheers, going to give it a go.

In other good news, confirmed western release, Ni No Kuni:

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1057461/ps3_exclusive_ni_no_kuni_us_release_confirmed.html

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1057461/ps3_exclusive_ni_no_kuni_us_release_confirmed.html

****-yeah-aww-yeah.jpg

backpain-1292835351.jpg?1300412448

Atlus though do fantastic jobs of localisation though. It only annoys me when the localistion is terrible and there's no option to change the voices. A friend of mine once sent me a youtube video to show that it's a bit snobby looking for japanese voices in games. It was of Street Fighter 4 with M. Bison asking for ice cream and talking about how much he liked puppies. It seemed cool because it was in japanese.

Anyway the only games I can think of where Atlus could have included a japanese voice track and didn't were Persona 3 and 4 and those two games really were full to the brim with data going by the install size on my hard disk.

There is certainly limits (especially text heavy RPGs), but when something like Sin & Punishment 2 can fit two voice tracks, or Disgaea PSP the same, on smaller format discs I always wonder if a bit of compressing ingenuity could do the job. Surely there's no reason not to have both voice tracks on Catherine, especially the PS3? The English voice acting is good, no doubt, but its still weirdly rigid and ill-fitting with the characters the way all dubbing is. Anytime I see a distinctly Japanese character talking in an American accent it just seems very wrong. Wouldn't stand for it in film, no reason to stand for it in games!

I think the basic concept of localisation bothers me to be perfectly honest. In a perfect world, everything would be translated rather than localised. Obviously you have to adapt a little bit, but the closer to the original vision as possible the better. Atlus are good at this - little things like having characters say 'senpai' or 'sensei' at the end of the sentence (to which there is no English equivalent) shows they're being loyal to the original script. Leaving them out entirely would be a far worse solution But the second something is changed to a more Westernised alternative, something important is lost. I want to play the game as close to the creator's vision as possible. Any change is significant! Sure, I'm pretty snobby when it comes to this, but I feel its justified snobbery :P (an aside: Phoenix Wright still stands out as the best localisation of all, although its telling that features no significant voice acting!)

Also, Chrono Trigger is still fantastic.

Yep. Emperor Toriyama's artwork has stood the test of time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Another reason for me to re-invest in the PS3.
    Feck!
    Didn't think it'd be so soon!
    I always knew I'd wind up getting one again but not before 2013 or so...

Seriously not impressed. Now I have no excuse not to buy a ps3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

http://www.qj.net/nintendo-3ds/news/gaijin-games-3ds-circle-pad-add-on-is-total-crap.html

TBH I think the dev is more pissed off having another addon to consider when developing a game, rather than the inevitable nature of the second circle pad itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just for those who plan on putting jtagged 360's in their cabs, there's a great replacement dash called Freestyle Dash you can use instead of the default MS dash (NXE).

It seperates your games, xbla stuff etc into different sections, auto downloads covers, screenshots, themes etc for each game & is for all intents & purposes far better than the standard dash.

I did a brief log here how to install it, and I'd also recommend installing Dashlaunch, so that you can make FSD the default dash so it will load automatically. See log here for that.

Just for inside a cab it will work exactly like Hyperspin with pics/themes of games (minus the preview videos, though I think that can be done also).

And before JU has a field day :D, the pic of Black Ops is only there as my 8 year old forces me to play it over the lan in the house via system link :o. Though Zombies is actually fun!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement